JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

That result does not spell disaster, but it does highlight that we, along with every other team, have some weaknesses that need addressing. One that we should be able to easily rectify is the conceding tries directly through our own mistakes/bad play. Once again we went from being in good position to conceding all because of one bad grubber attempt. It turned out to be a crucial try in a tight game.

Our pack got outmuscled in the second half the aggression dropped. I won't be too critical of Lam because I think a lot of our play was due to poor performance from the players, but sticking Leuluai/Powell in the loose forward role when our pack is struggling to make ground? It just made things worse. Perhaps the Bibby injury forced his hand by having to play Smithies out wide, but my guess is he was trying to keep the game tight and save Burgess until later on hoping he'd have an impact. It really didn't work.

For some reason our pack looking absolutely out of it in the second half. Even Powell and Smithies, who generally keep tackling from the first minute to the last, looked exhausted.

I thought Havard was our best player and kept our pack competitive. Farrell was strong too and Isa kept working hard. Burgess is still not there in terms of fitness, but I don't think we can expect him to be for another few weeks yet. Bullock was okay but never returned after that one spell which didn't help. Clark works hard but looks like a liability in terms of discipline. Byrne ran hard but his defence is still a weakness. We missed Partington/Flower on the defensive front and, dare I say it, even Clubb.

Still, we should have been further ahead in the first half and made more of what we had in the second half. Our halfbacks were really poor. Hastings took his try well but otherwise just looked like he was happy to be back at the AJ Bell. Nothing about Hastings before, during or after the game suggested he wanted to be ruthless and cause problems for our opponents. Leulaui offered very little. Smith looked a threat when he came on and his kicking game is miles better than anyone else's. His defence is still an issue, which is to be expected with young halves, but the good outweighs the bad and I think Lam should be starting him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2915
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cherry.Pie "That result does not spell disaster, but it does highlight that we, along with every other team, have some weaknesses that need addressing. One that we should be able to easily rectify is the conceding tries directly through our own mistakes/bad play. Once again we went from being in good position to conceding all because of one bad grubber attempt. It turned out to be a crucial try in a tight game.

Our pack got outmuscled in the second half the aggression dropped. I won't be too critical of Lam because I think a lot of oussr play was due to poor performance from the players, but sticking Leuluai/Powell in the loose forward role when our pack is struggling to make ground? It just made things worse. Perhaps the Bibby injury forced his hand by having to play Smithies out wide, but my guess is he was trying to keep the game tight and save Burgess until later on hoping he'd have an impact. It really didn't work.

For some reason our pack looking absolutely out of it in the second half. Even Powell and Smithies, who generally keep tackling from the first minute to the last, looked exhausted.

I thought Havard was our best player and kept our pack competitive. Farrell was strong too and Isa kept working hard. Burgess is still not there in terms of fitness, but I don't think we can expect him to be for another few weeks yet. Bullock was okay but never returned after that one spell which didn't help. Clark works hard but looks like a liability in terms of discipline. Byrne ran hard but his defence is still a weakness. We missed Partington/Flower on the defensive front and, dare I say it, even Clubb.

Still, we should have been further ahead in the first half and made more of what we had in the second half. Our halfbacks were really poor. Hastings took his try well but otherwise just looked like he was happy to be back at the AJ Bell. Nothing about Hastings before, during or after the game suggested he wanted to be ruthless and cause problems for our opponents. Leulaui offered very little. Smith looked a threat when he came on and his kicking game is miles better than anyone else's. His defence is still an issue, which is to be expected with young halves, but the good outweighs the bad and I think Lam should be starting him.'"

The problem for me is that the 2 props signed to improve a poor front row have so far patently not worked in fact they've probably made the situation worse.

Clark allegedly started pre season early and Burgess allegedly "never been as fit in years". For me total bs.

We've got a pack there for the taking every game and a coach who seems out of depth.

SOL and Gildart will obviously improve the team but a poor set of props wil remain the issue for me alway through the season

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "The problem for me is that the 2 props signed to improve a poor front row have so far patently not worked in fact they've probably made the situation worse.

Clark allegedly started pre season early and Burgess allegedly "never been as fit in years". For me total bs.

We've got a pack there for the taking every game and a coach who seems out of depth.

SOL and Gildart will obviously improve the team but a poor set of props wil remain the issue for me alway through the season'"

My thoughts exactly. We basically have the same pack as last season that was bullied in most games. Yes we now have Hastings and French to add some magic, but they won't do it behind a beaten pack week after week.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5433
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As an outsider ,i think the whole Burgess brothers circus was just a RL PR exercise & all of them were over hyped. In the international games Hill & Cooper were much better.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "The problem for me is that the 2 props signed to improve a poor front row have so far patently not worked in fact they've probably made the situation worse.

SOL and Gildart will obviously improve the team but a poor set of props wil remain the issue for me alway through the season'"

I think it's only fair to point out that Burgess was one of our most influential players in the victory over Huddersfield. He's clearly not had the pre-season we've have hoped for and it was said before he played a game that it would take a while for him to get up to speed. I don't know who it was who said Burgess has "never been as fit in years" but I think everyone is capable of seeing the situation for what it is. If he's going to be a success for us it's not going to happen immediately.

Clark was over-hyped, that much is obvious. There's plenty to work with but he hasn't improved our pack this year.

What I would say is that with Bullock not reappearing in the second half we had a fair few props not involved who would have something to add. Bullock, Flower, Partington and Clubb. The first 3 are, in my opinion, part of our best pack along with Burgess and Havard.

We struggled to make ground in attack but for me it's because we weren't dominant in defence. Partington and Flower are among our best defensive players. Byrne and Clark are not. Chuck Powell and Leuluai in the 13 role and we ended up with a pack that was going to get dominated.

Our full strength pack this year will be better than last year in my opinion, it's just that last night, for various reasons, we didn't have the best that we could offer.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

The ongoing problem of a lack of forward domination has been masked this season by Hastings and French scoring spectacular tries. Salford did their homework on both so nullified the Wigan threat.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2915
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cherry.Pie "I think it's only fair to point out that Burgess was one of our most influential players in the victory over Huddersfield. He's clearly not had the pre-season we've have hoped for and it was said before he played a game that it would take a while for him to get up to speed. I don't know who it was who said Burgess has "never been as fit in years" but I think everyone is capable of seeing the situation for what it is. If he's going to be a success for us it's not going to happen immediately.

Clark was over-hyped, that much is obvious. There's plenty to work with but he hasn't improved our pack this year.

What I would say is that with Bullock not reappearing in the second half we had a fair few props not involved who would have something to add. Bullock, Flower, Partington and Clubb. The first 3 are, in my opinion, part of our best pack along with Burgess and Havard.

We struggled to make ground in attack but for me it's because we weren't dominant in defence. Partington and Flower are among our best defensive players. Byrne and Clark are not. Chuck Powell and Leuluai in the 13 role and we ended up with a pack that was going to get dominated.

Our full strength pack this year will be better than last year in my opinion, it's just that last night, for various reasons, we didn't have the best that we could offer.'"

It was his brother who said he hadn’t been as fit for years.
Injuries obviously caused problems during the game but even with a full pack e won’t be good enough.

Burgess does not appear to be getting fitter in fact his last 2 games he has the look and physicality of an old man. An old man with a wardrobe on his back. He simply isn’t good enough at the moment to make an improvement on last year. He should be training/playing 6 days a week to get fit that is if his body is capable of getting fit

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: nohalfbacks "The ongoing problem of a lack of forward domination has been masked this season by Hastings and French scoring spectacular tries. Salford did their homework on both so nullified the Wigan threat.'"

I think that’s a pretty fair assessment

RankPostsTeam
International Star1006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63362_1317664225.jpg
[b:35jm31e6][color=#FF0040:35jm31e6]Formerly known as Moonlight Flit[/color:35jm31e6][/b:35jm31e6]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63362.jpg

Where was our pack ?

We should have had that game closed down.............if we were struggling. But in the first half, we weren't.
Lam should have written the 'riot act' after that match. Sunday morning on the tackle bags for them.

I also don't really rate Farrell. Does he ever pass the ball ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: fleabag "

I also don't really rate Farrell. Does he ever pass the ball ?'"

icon_eek.gif

Jeez, it was a poor defeat but I find this astounding. He’s probably been the best back rower in superleague so far. He must pass at some point as he has 3 try assists (most of any forward). He also has 3 try’s (most of any forward), is 3rd in the whole league for tackles made, 4th for metres made (most of any forward), 6th for tackle busts (most of any forward) and 10th for clean breaks (most of any forward). He also sits 4th in the Man of Steel voting.

Wish a few others were that poor.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "

+1

One of the most astounding things I’ve read on this forum, only just beaten by the injecting players with silicone suggestion.

Faz is one of our most consistent performers, is good in D and offers a continuous attacking threat. Most of the time his work goes under the radar which is unfair.

If he’s one of our poorest I’d love to be directed to our best. That player must be injured or something, surely such a world class star would be a name that just rolls off the tongue?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: fleabag "I also don't really rate Farrell. Does he ever pass the ball ?'"

I'm presuming this was an alcohol inspired post?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Looking at the stats from Friday Faz made 130m and 40 tackles, so he went pretty well by the looks of things. One thing that stood out to me was the amount of ground Salford’s 1-5 made. Evalds 190m, the wingers both about 145m and Sarge and Welham about 140-150m. We clearly didn’t control those guys anywhere near well enough.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4689
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

No, we didn't, although Marshall made good metres in an unshowy display.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "
That comment among others have been pearlers in this thread

100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12158203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Smith out ASAP
Leeds_Luke
36m
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
56m