JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23350_1468449137.jpg
[quote="roger daly":1a7cbd66]Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="wrencat1873":1a7cbd66]It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Big lads mate":1a7cbd66]you arrogant pot prick[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Tricky2309":1a7cbd66]Look prick do one[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Willzay":1a7cbd66]you cocky pie eating c*nt.[/quote:1a7cbd66]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23350.jpg

Quote: The Publican "The middle 8 in 2015 could end up in theory has Bradford, Castleford, Widnes & Hull KR ( bottom 4 in 2015 ) & London, Wakefield, Leigh & Fev ( all full time ) this would IMHO give a very exciting and close play off series for entry into 2016 super league
Exciting for the supporters of the no-mark teams you've listed their. Meanwhile in the division all eyes will be on (the top icon_cool.gif nobody will give a stuff if Fev beat London in front of 3,300 people.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach706No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons66c2_files/5607-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
[img:pujtnhz8]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sigs/leigh3.gif[/img:pujtnhz8]:icons66c2_files/5607-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Suzy Banyon "Exciting for the supporters of the no-mark teams you've listed their. Meanwhile in the division all eyes will be on (the top
And there lies a typical SL response we are ok jack but couldn't give a toss about anyone else, I as a Leigh fan would love the chance of watching the wigan's, saints & wire's of this world at the LSV even if we are getting beat I have spent the last few years watching games with no possibility of ever getting to the pinnacle league now we have that chance again however small & I can't wait for the new structure to start icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43540.jpg
:43540.jpg

Quote: Suzy Banyon "Exciting for the supporters of the no-mark teams you've listed their. Meanwhile in the division all eyes will be on (the top

Or probably not with teams carrying points forward those 7 games for the Top 8 could be pretty meaningless as the team sacraping in 8th probably has next to no chance of making the Top 4 play offs so I think the eyes the world will hardly be embracing this new format anymore than it will be filling the RL stadiums of the country.

In most seasons the top 4 will not change much across those 7 games and as with now the play offs fail to capture the imagination before OT this will just prolong the period that no one cares much about.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach352
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
:icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Quote: espanyolswan "Good point about shared grounds and add in the likes of Doncaster, Crusaders and Rochdale as well as the Leigh/Swinton ground share and it is fraught with problems especially as some of the football clubs will be looking to stage lucrative friendlies at the time the leagues will split.

A few clubs already do not get on swimmingly with their fellow groundmates and this sort of scenareo will not help matters.'"

I don't think this will be a problem.
See my post on the bottom of page 7.
You know how many home game you will have and you allocate dates and book stadiums accordingly and slot opponents names in at a later date.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Arthur Warrior "I don't think this will be a problem.
See my post on the bottom of page 7.
You know how many home game you will have and you allocate dates and book stadiums accordingly and slot opponents names in at a later date.'"

No you won't. You won't know until the last week whether you have three or four home games, or which teams are in your group and what their situation is.
Just imagine if Wigan, Huddersfield, Hull, Salford and Leeds are in the same group and their football/Union teams are all at home on the same weekend(s)

The split will only come after the football season has started, and well after their and Unions fixtures are published.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "The spectators and clubs won't know until the last week of the 12 team season whether there will be three or four home games in the 8 game part.
That will give the clubs and the RFL less than a week to sort out fixtures (it could be as little as four days if a club plays its last game on Sunday and is selected for the Thursday match)
How are the RFL going to get the fixtures sorted out in that short space of time?
'"

The spectators (and clubs) will only not know how many home games they will have if they go into the final fixture of the first league phase still battling for a top four spot (or 8th place in the second 12). In the first and third 8s the four highest placed teams get 4 home games, in the middle eight the four Championship teams get 4 home games. It's explained in the documents that put forward the format.

As I already mentioned earlier in this thread the plan for the format involves a Challenge Cup round (possibly even two rounds) taking place between the two league phases so no four day turnaround to be worried about.

The fixture issue is simple, by using a set format, fixtures in the second league phase are laid out for teams labelled as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 at the same time as the initial fixtures are compiled giving 1, 2, 3 and 4 the 4 home games each. Exactly who a specific team plays, where they play them and when is then determined by the order in which teams finish in the first league phase. It is a similar principle to the one by which World Cup knockout phases are organised. All that is then left to do is make tweaks where for example the Hull clubs might be at home on the same weekend. Easy to do such tinkering while the cup games are taking place, it happens for tv on a regular basis.

Clubs with shared facilities would have to fit in games around pre-existing fixtures in other codes as they would have to with cup games. In the case of Salford they would have priority rather than Sale as it would be at the end of the RL season and the beginning of the RU season and each club in that stadium has priority of use at the business end of their respective seasons.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner626No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

'"
]Clubs with shared facilities would have to fit in games around pre-existing fixtures in other codes as they would have to with cup games. In the case of Salford they would have priority rather than Sale as it would be at the end of the RL season and the beginning of the RU season and each club in that stadium has priority of use at the business end of their respective seasons.'"]

Not right in the case of Salford two seasons back we had the last game of the season against Wakefield picked by Sky. Sale then offered to move their game from Fri to Sat.
The problem was Espn then covering union games chose the Sale game and set up for a Sat Sale game.Then Sky decided to change our game from Fri to Sat.
ESPN dug their feet in so the Salford home game was move to Leigh.
So I think we will find this happening even more under this new format

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Have sky been consulted about the restructure? The current deal runs until the end of 2015. It seems a strange way to treat your broadcasting partner(s).

Example; after the 8/8/8 split who owns the tv rights to the second group of 8? Is it Sky or Premier Sports? Super League clubs playing Championship clubs.

Wouldn't it have made sense to leave the restructure until the end of the current deal and renegotiate on the basis of presenting a new competition?

Also on another point - more games with fewer teams in the top tier means more games involving the top clubs. As has already been stated we could play Saints twice in the regular season once in the MW once in the cup then once after the split and then twice in the playoffs. That goes also for other fixtures. There is such a thing as overkill. Playing Saints Leeds Wire and Huddersfield 4 or 5 times a season just devalues those games. Any loss can be avenged in a few weeks thus affecting the intensity. My belief is that such familiarity will drive down standards not raise them. The great thing about the derby is that you look forward to it. Playing Saints five or six times negates that.

Proof; look at the playoff attendance at Wigan in 2011 against Saints.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: gingdong "Hasnt failed what planet you on. featherstone Rovers have built 2 new stands and a state of the art training centre that Cas and Wakey are wanting to rent because it blinds there facilities. Yet those 2 clubs have had millions more from the game than us and 6 years free from threat of relegation to build infrastructure, they have criminally wasted it. Last week we beat Wakey easy in a friendly and all there fans could say was we will be ok when our 3 overseas players arrive. Yes it really has worked hasnt it'"

Actually, there's a shed load of stuff that's gone wrong over the last few years and I'd put Wakey's & Cas's problems down to simple mismanagement & poor book-keeping. The licensing principle has it's problems, but it's not to blame for everything you cite here, in fact you go a long way to bolstering my point via your "criminally wasted it" bit. I agree that they have wasted the opportunity but that cannot be put at the door of licensing.

The new system can work if there's more money from the broadcasters - perhaps they're hoping BT will wade in & start a bidding war - both tiers have to have similar amounts of cash or there's no point & the split to three groups becomes as meaningful as the stupid Club Call in the current play-offs & we can probably all have a good stab at which teams will be in which groups 5 years ahead.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/HAFLING2.JPG
BANG THE DRUM.............BARMY ARMY:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/HAFLING2.JPG

it all sounds complicated to me. Am i missing something here?

12 team league = 22 fixtures, plus 1 if magic continues, thats 4 less than before, which means 4 more free weekends?
Start the season later, like early March ( it is summer rugby? ) , and go back to top 5.
Promotion/ relegation goes without saying..its a competitive sport, lets bring back the competitiveness/uncertainty, that P and R bring.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: wigan pie man "it all sounds complicated to me. Am i missing something here?

12 team league
4 less games than before? No thanks! Bad for the clubs, bad for fans, bad for sponsors, I can't think of anyone who would want less games apart from maybe the older players. Say what you want about the new system but it should at least produce more competitive games of real importance. 2 league points mean almost nothing to the big sides under the current system sadly and it's good they're changing that

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

What an absolute load of tosh served up again by the RFL. I'm sure they go out of their way to make it as complicated as possible to justify their job roles. It's like the card game 'Go Johnny go, go, go, go' from 'League of Gentlemen' sketch.

Why not just go to 12 teams, top 5 play offs with the winner having a week off, 2v5, 3v4 then the week after the winner plays the lowest ranked winning side and if they win go to the GF along with the winner of the other game.

Winner of the Championship goes up automatically, no play offs.

Also bring back GB and proper tours.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Have sky been consulted about the restructure? The current deal runs until the end of 2015. It seems a strange way to treat your broadcasting partner(s).

Example; after the 8/8/8 split who owns the tv rights to the second group of 8? Is it Sky or Premier Sports? Super League clubs playing Championship clubs.

Wouldn't it have made sense to leave the restructure until the end of the current deal and renegotiate on the basis of presenting a new competition?

Also on another point - more games with fewer teams in the top tier means more games involving the top clubs. As has already been stated we could play Saints twice in the regular season once in the MW once in the cup then once after the split and then twice in the playoffs. That goes also for other fixtures. There is such a thing as overkill. Playing Saints Leeds Wire and Huddersfield 4 or 5 times a season just devalues those games. Any loss can be avenged in a few weeks thus affecting the intensity. My belief is that such familiarity will drive down standards not raise them. The great thing about the derby is that you look forward to it. Playing Saints five or six times negates that.

Proof; look at the playoff attendance at Wigan in 2011 against Saints.'"

That's a good point about the tv rights particularly for the middle 8 as it will affect the first season at least. You would hope that the RFL were speaking to both Sky and PS about that issue.

Re repeat fixtures you can't play anyone twice in the playoffs under the new structure as there are only semi finals and a grand final. Play a team once in the playoffs and one team is in the final and the other is out. You could play the same team six times (twice in first phase, once at MW, once in second phase, once in playoffs and once in cup) but that can also happen now (twice in league, once at MW, twice in playoffs and once in cup). While having 3 or 4 league fixtures may be a problem to market if fans aren't going to attend a playoff semi or GF or a knockout cup game then that is probably more to do with the fan themselves (interest in particular comp/ability or willingness to pay for outside of ST games) rather than the number of times the opponent has been faced already.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: wigan pie man "it all sounds complicated to me. Am i missing something here?

12 team league

Teams split after the 23 games into the three 8's.

Taking the top 8, they play everyone else once, so the regular season is 23+7=30 games.

The play-offs then start for the top four which means two more games if you get to or win the Grand Final which is 32 in total as opposed to the current 31.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The more I read and understand the better it sounds to me.

123 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
123 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.814453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
10m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
13m