JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23005_1391727176.gif
[color=#FF0000:2oxg3iab]WIGAN RLFC - 3 WORLD CLUBS 20 LEAGUES 19 CHALLENGE CUPS[/color:2oxg3iab] [url:2oxg3iab]http://www.reddit.com/r/superleague[/url:2oxg3iab]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23005.gif

I'm firmly in the camp of thinking that IL has done a great job while he's been here. That's not to say I agree with every decision he's made, far from it.

As one of the 'powerhouse' clubs in the league, I think we should be pushing for an increase in the salary cap rather than keeping the status quo. I also think that we should be putting more pressure on the RFL to increase our marketing to a wider audience rather than leave it up to the clubs to do it themselves.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with his tenure. As has already been mentioned, we would be in a far worse situation without him and I think a lot of fans seem to forget that.

When he took over in 2007 he was the one that pushed for the perhaps less obvious change 'backstage' by putting more focus on our youth development, which we are now starting to see come to fruition. Could you imagine some of the kids we had in the Whelan/Mo/Millward era playing against Wire like the class of 2013 did last week? I certainly couldn't.

If anyone wants evidence of just how bad we were back then and just how far we've come only needs to look at THAT game a mere 8 years ago and compare it to any one of GF 2010, WCC 2011 and CC Final 2011

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

CPWigan on WiganWarriorsFans.Com:

Quote: Cruncher "It does amaze me that some folk appear to be harping back to the Dave Whelan era as if what was happening at Wigan RL then was actually preferable to what is happening now. The same with Mo during his first stint.

There is actually no comparison.

British RL and Wigan in particular are under attack as never before - the NRL and RU are chasing every one of our star players, dangling massive carrots, while we are still hamstrung by a stringent salary cap. This is a problem Mo never had to deal with the first time around, and the second time around - i.e. when Whelan was pulling the strings - we lost the likes of Robinson and Farrell, and only by a miracle called Club Great Britain hung onto Radlinski, so wishing for a return of that era is a fallacy too.

But what actually worries me is that IL - who we know reads these message boards - may get pig sick of seeing this endless skepticism about his control of the club, not to mention the constant suggestion in some quarters that he's milking the club for cash, and decide that it probably isn't worth it any more. I mean, on the other message board there is virtually a 'Lenagan out' campaign - God alone know who those guys think they are, or why they're trying to do it. But they surely can't be genuine fans. All this stuff about 'the club is in the gutter' - with no substantiating evidence ever offered is utterly disgraceful, and goes well beyond simple lack of enthusiasm for club policy. It almost feels libelous to me.

If IL put us up for sale again, there is no guarantee that a we'd get another fan in charge of the club, or someone with the vision to keep us at the top the game, which is where we've mostly been under IL (people actually seem to forget that), or someone who'd be willing to 'pile masses of his own money into the club' - something else that certain people keep saying as if a) it could ever be that simple or b) IL doesn't already do that.

No doubt I'll be called a 'happy clapper' for voicing such an opinion - that popular catch-all phrase - but frankly I don't care. It the truth hurts some people, then good. The truth should.'"

icon_idea.gif Sorry Cruncher but your notion that RL is under attack as never before is pardon my French, . a026.gif You are old enough to remember Monie moving to the Warriors and taking the likes of Betts / Platt etc and soon after the SL War. Anything happening today, is small potatoes compared to that era. We also had the advent of Union professionalism to contend with too.

I read all the forums and nowhere is there a Lenagan out campaign unless your are becoming paranoid. The stupidity of such a notion is that Dave O posts on this and most other forums. So by your premise, RLfans must be operating a Lenagan out campaign too. Clearly it is not. Nor are any of the forums. Every forum acknowledges his achievement but they are balanced by genuine concerns for the game and their club.

IL does not operate as a fan. He has always made that clear. So your suggestion is simply scare mongering. You know because you are a keen supporter that IL is not prepared to invest his money in the club (how many times has he said so icon_rolleyes.gif ) other than what he spent to buy it, money that will be returned if or when he sells the club. Whose to say our club cannot be bought by someone with more money and be happy to spend it?

You are a happy clapper because you are never prepared to criticise anything done in the name of Wigan RLFC and that makes you unrealistic and lack balance. The truth seems to hurt you more than other here and elsewhere. Is Dave O no more a fan than you? I would say more personally given every game is an away game and his views are more realistic and balanced than yours.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Wigan Peer "I would go along with your view there Gurney. I'm oft portrayed as some sort of apologist for the club and a happy clapper, i'm really not. I just don't see the point of going off on a rant when none of the "fact" are known...

For those critical of the club and announcements, Sam could easily make an announcement, i don't hear one, do you?'"

Sam is not allowed to a026.gif

How long have the club been trying to get rid of him? icon_beat.gif Pre season and during the season publically, privately?

Wigan have prevented NZ Warriors from making an official announcement

WP you are indeed a eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Bilko "The ONLY club to win both in recent times.'"

And the ONLY club to then lose them both in recent times too icon_razz.gif

Has your radio stint made you forget how much you hated SL/RL at the end of last season Bilko a046.gif

P.S Congrats on that, much deserved.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18803
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
699_1268771516.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_699.gif

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "And the ONLY club to then lose them both in recent times too
Well it depends how recent you count recent times. I was looking at the era since new Lenegan came in, as thats what this thread is about.

Not sure "hated" was the right term but I was certainly depressed with the game at the back end of last season...........and I certainly wasn't the only one. And I'm still moaning my backside off about it on twitter. Particularly how saints can be so bad this year yet still inside the play offs. It is an absolute joke in my opinion! And I stress that I say that regardless of the fact its saints!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "icon_idea.gif Sorry Cruncher but your notion that RL is under attack as never before is pardon my French, rubbish.
Yeah, I thought I recognised you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "Sam is not allowed to
Are the highlighted part of your post facts, or rhetorical questions?

RankPostsTeam
International Star65No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2013Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Take noticed that those who are the most critical never tell us what they would do if they were in the same situation that IL and other Owners/Chairmen are now finding themselves in as a result of there being more money down under and in a rival code.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Gurney Slade "Take noticed that those who are the most critical never tell us what they would do if they were in the same situation that IL and other Owners/Chairmen are now finding themselves in as a result of there being more money down under and in a rival code.'"

What do you mean never tell you what they would do? With the Sam situation I have said all along I wouldn't be selling him early and make no mistake if he does go at the end of the season IL will have sold him early when there is no compulsion to do so at all. Not selling him is exactly what most people who don't agree with him going are saying they would do. And that is after reading the usual comments that he will sulk or we shouldn't stand in his way etc. Cadoo's post in the signings thread dealt with those objections pretty comprehensively IMO.

So yes people do tell you what they would do.

Perhaps you can tell us why you would support IL selling Sam early baring in mind he has no reason to do so?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gurney Slade "Take noticed that those who are the most critical never tell us what they would do if they were in the same situation that IL and other Owners/Chairmen are now finding themselves in as a result of there being more money down under and in a rival code.'"

Not true in my case. I've said hold players to contract. That's what I'd do if I was in charge. It makes no difference how much money is available if you're not interested in it! This club IMO can afford to hold players to contract then release them. It cost us nothing to sign Mossop or sam so there's no transfer fee to be recouped. All speculation on my part of course.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: jinkin jimmy "Not true in my case. I've said hold players to contract. That's what I'd do if I was in charge. It makes no difference how much money is available if you're not interested in it! This club IMO can afford to hold players to contract then release them. It cost us nothing to sign Mossop or sam so there's no transfer fee to be recouped. All speculation on my part of course.'"

Tricky one because of the salary cap. We'd effectively be paying a player money that could be spent better elsewhere.

The Sam situation is different though. We all presumed he signed the new improved 'no speaking' contract with the intention of leaving after the 'no speaking' clause was up. Thus enabling us to still get some decent money for him.

[sizeIF[/size he has requested to leave before that part of his contract is up, I think I'd like to see IL hold him to it. [sizeIF[/size IL is trying to cash in on him early, then I'd be very disappointed.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Pemps "Tricky one because of the salary cap. We'd effectively be paying a player money that could be spent better elsewhere.'"

I suppose there is two places you can spend the money. On development or on players. I don't see us lacking in development and you have to ask what is the point anyway if all you are dong is developing players to sell. Or it cold be spent on transsfer fees to buy players to replace them.

For lesser players than Sam it;s possible. Hopkins frm Leigh cold be viewed as Tuscon's replacement but I am still not convinced you wouldn't be better off with a settled squad than having a higher turnover if possible. But with players like Sam there are no replacements to buy.

Quote: Pemps "The Sam situation is different though. We all presumed he signed the new improved 'no speaking' contract with the intention of leaving after the 'no speaking' clause was up. Thus enabling us to still get some decent money for him.

[sizeIF[/size he has requested to leave before that part of his contract is up, I think I'd like to see IL hold him to it. [sizeIF[/size IL is trying to cash in on him early, then I'd be very disappointed.'"

Well its got to be one or the other.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: DaveO "I suppose there is two places you can spend the money. On development or on players. I don't see us lacking in development and you have to ask what is the point anyway if all you are dong is developing players to sell. Or it cold be spent on transsfer fees to buy players to replace them.

For lesser players than Sam it;s possible. Hopkins frm Leigh cold be viewed as Tuscon's replacement but I am still not convinced you wouldn't be better off with a settled squad than having a higher turnover if possible. But with players like Sam there are no replacements to buy.

Well its got to be one or the other.'"

And this is the key point.

Sam is a once in a generation player. When he goes it will be at least 10 years before we get anyone like that, the way RL in this country is going, maybe never.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: DaveO "I suppose there is two places you can spend the money. On development or on players. I don't see us lacking in development and you have to ask what is the point anyway if all you are dong is developing players to sell. Or it cold be spent on transsfer fees to buy players to replace them..'"

What I meant by that is that a player would be taking up a big chunk of cap just to be sitting around twiddling his thumbs or putting in half d performances on the pitch because he doesn't want to be there. Because of this it seems to be the done thing in all sports to let that player go.

I can't see many clubs being able to hold on to all their superstars in the current climate. Long, Cunningham, Scully and Wellens were the cornerstone of a very dominant Saints team not so long ago but I'm not sure they'd have stayed around in the current situation with Union and particularly the NRL seemingly willing to splash it's cash.

With regards to player development, I don't think you could ever spend too much money on that regardless of if you think they'll just leave anyway.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pemps "What I meant by that is that a player would be taking up a big chunk of cap just to be sitting around twiddling his thumbs or putting in half d performances on the pitch because he doesn't want to be there. Because of this it seems to be the done thing in all sports to let that player go.

I can't see many clubs being able to hold on to all their superstars in the current climate. Long, Cunningham, Scully and Wellens were the cornerstone of a very dominant Saints team not so long ago but I'm not sure they'd have stayed around in the current situation with Union and particularly the NRL seemingly willing to splash it's cash.

With regards to player development, I don't think you could ever spend too much money on that regardless of if you think they'll just leave anyway.'"

Re player development. That production line has got to be maintained and I don't think we could do it any better than we are at present. Credit to all concerned there. Re half d performances I would like to see us at least appear to do something other than roll over. If we tell a disaffected player he must stay what are the consequences? A player may take a dip in form but, in the case of sam or Mossop we are talking about 1 season only. IMO we can cope with that to make the point that contracts should be honoured by both sides. Until we actually dig our heels in we won't know if a player will start to turn in poor performances. Given our recent luck with injuries they could be sat out for other reasons anyway.

152 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
152 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m