Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15723.gif
:15723.gif

Quote: Father Ted "I feel a lot less worried about the Widnes game after watching Saints v Catalans last night.
Two teams who are expected to up there at the top by the end of the season, just like us.
Both were pretty poor in a stop start game with lengthy injuries and numerous mistakes taking any intensity out of the game.
It put Burgess's errors into perspective seeing Pelissior and Percival drop the ball on or over the line.
Both games looked like first games of the season and not too much to be read into either I suspect.'"

I wasn't worried after Thursday, our season isn't doomed, just like I wouldn't have thought we'd walk the league had we won by 50 points. It's one game, make a judgement after half a dozen games on where the team is and what does/doesn't need to be changed. Talk about knee jerk reactions, even for this board the reaction has been ridiculous.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lack of discipline and lack of composure cost us a win in that game. We created a lot of the pressure on us through repeated penalties. Widnes kept their heads and were able to capitalise on our indiscipline. Well done to them. At 16-0 up we should have just controlled the game and claimed the win with sensible rugby, we didn't need to rack up points. As someone else alluded to though not for the first time we failed to close out a game and from a position of having a comfortable lead we let them back into the game. This is a problem we have had for a few years now we get three scores up and the team switches off and hey presto the opponents narrow the points gap. We don't always lose in such games but as a team it is a problem we have had for a while in that we seemingly cannot control and shut down a game when in a winning position and we often make it much more difficult than it needs to be.

As for Farrell IMO he hasn't really got that much worse than he always was discipline wise. Stupid and needless penalties, often on the 5th tackle, have been his trademark since he got into the team. It's just that now with Dudson and Hughes who were the other main (stupid) penalty machines no longer here those given away by Farrell are just more obvious as they don't get mixed up in the crowd as it were.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lack of discipline and composure by the players,maybe but a lot of the fans on here are very guilty of that.give them a chance it's the first game,it will get better.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7349_1382076828.jpeg
CHAMP20NS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7349.jpeg

Quote: Mike Oxlong ""Josh is badly concussed, he's not in a good way - he doesn't remember any of the game," he added.

"Unfortunately because of that we ended up reshuffling our backline"

Quote from the BBC website from Wane last night - substitute Josh for Lance and it sounds remarkably like what happened in the GF. Not always easy to play against 12 men and have to re-shape the team is it!'"

wow. Your hollow success from last season really bothers you doesn't it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think it was interesting noting Wane's comments about changing our style of play before the start of the season, I thought this would be something to do with limiting the use of dummy runners as we were having tries disallowed to obstruction. I noticed we were playing flatter and playing off offloads more than I've seen in a long time, I think it might take the team time to adjust. I also noticed Williams was also offloading, maybe him being slightly bigger with the ability to offload is why he's chosen over Hampshire, Williams and Hampshire play the game differently, perhaps Williams' strengths are more appealing to the way Wane wants the team to play.

I think in the first half this worked with more breaks down the middle rather than spinning it out-wide linking in the FB.

RankPostsTeam
International Star352
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
:icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

I thought O'Loughlin & Logan Tomkins bossed the game and when they both tired the others went to sleep also with nobody taking charge of organisation in the last quarter.
Losing Bateman from the middle channels was a huge blow.
Two dropped balls from Burgess hurt us badly.
Cut out the errors and don't respond to the niggling tactics of the opposition and we could win the lot this season.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32321
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I think it was interesting noting Wane's comments about changing our style of play before the start of the season, I thought this would be something to do with limiting the use of dummy runners as we were having tries disallowed to obstruction. I noticed we were playing flatter and playing off offloads more than I've seen in a long time, I think it might take the team time to adjust. I also noticed Williams was also offloading, maybe him being slightly bigger with the ability to offload is why he's chosen over Hampshire, Williams and Hampshire play the game differently, perhaps Williams' strengths are more appealing to the way Wane wants the team to play.

I think in the first half this worked with more breaks down the middle rather than spinning it out-wide linking in the FB.'"

We do seem to be offloading the ball in the tackle more. What I would like to see is the fullback or halfback following up more down the middle. We need to get away from the round the back / out wide ball to the fullback as the major threat. Teams are aware of it although when it's done properly (with speed and accuracy) it's very difficult to defend against. By supporting the offload in the middle a la Edwards the likes of Hampshire, Bowen, Williams and Sarginson can do a lot af damage with their pace. I'm led to believe that Larne Patrick is the quickest player over 20 - 30 metres at Wigan so he could also be used in that supporting role.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15440
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

We should have won from 16-0 but there is quite a bit of over-reaction going on. Let's not forget we had second rowers at both centres, a centre on the wing, no McIlorum and eventually no Lockers either for the last period. Add to that we have a new halfback partnership settling in and our two best props still to come into the team. The sky isn't falling in. There were some good individual performances as well:

FB 1 Bowen - 4/10, he did his job defensively for the most part but was at fault fora try and should have sent us in for another but threw a forward pass
RW 2 Charnley - he looked pretty good in his 25 mins but it's hard to judge a winger on such a short period
RC 3 Gelling - 6/10, really dangerous in attack, got through loads of work too, this would have been a lot more but he made a couple of errors at key points which is a running issue for him
LC 11 Joel - 5/10, he went quiet after scoring and that tackle after their try could have earned him a yellow
LW 5 Burgess - 2/10, I don't believe it has anything to do with him leaving at the end of the year but he did have a mare. If he takes those passes, or stays switched on after dropping the one that led to a try, and we win IMO. Would have been a lower rating but he did a cracking job chasing down a Widnes break early on
SO 6 Williams - 6/10, he did some good stuff in the first half then went missing in the second. Should have made the tackle to stop the first Widnes try. Having said that he made about 30 tackles
SH 7 Smith - 3/10, he should have been the one to take the game by the scruff of the neck and put them away after we got to 16-0. Instead he went missing until his petulance at the end which got him binned. On the plus side 3/4 conversions helped us draw at least
P 8 Crosby - 5/10, if Mossop is back next week I would drop him to be honest. Didn't win the collision or get through much work, missed a few tackles too.
H 23 Logan - 7/10, I was worried when I saw McIlorum was out but I really thought he did a good job in attack and defence, earned a spot off the bench next week for me
P 28 Sutton - 9/10, brilliant game from any prop never mind a youngster. He was really terrorising them, has to be in next week even if Mossop is back
SR 14 Bateman - 8/10, ran some really good lines, always seems to be a real handful. Would have given him more but he bombed his first break throwing it on the floor
SR 12 L.Farrell - 4/10, he struggled and his head is going a lot atm. Bateman is ahead of him atm IMO
LF 13 O'Loughlin - 5/10, made some mistakes, generally looked rusty and didn' really manage to steady the ship. I think a Sinfield would have made sure we did the right things to win that game

S 17 Clubb - 7/10, looked really strong as usual, a very underrated prop
S 19 Powell - 4/10, anonymous. Would drop him next week with McIlorum returning. Even if he doesn't return I'd give Rocky a go
S 24 Tautai - 7/10, caused them lots of trouble, really hope he keeps this up its been a while since we have had an effective impact prop
S 25 Patrick - 6/10, thought he did alright, nothing outstanding but he got through plenty work

RankPostsTeam
International Star4691
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Sounds about right to me. I re-watched the 15 min version on Wigan TV yesterday, and, dammit, we scored some good tries (plus a few other very promising moves like the ones dropped by Burgess), albeit assisted by some pretty poor defence early doors from Widnes. So it's not like we showed nothing and were hopeless all match, far from it. I guess the disappointment is that our senior players either looked rusty and/or didn't have the influence they should have done. Matty Smith in particular has to bear responsibility for an anonymous and ill-disciplined second half, and as for JT, well, words fail me. But as Grimmy rightly points out, this was balanced to some extent by some cheering performances from some of the younger players/new recruits like Bateman, Sutton, and Tautai.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2866
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

2010 was the last time we won our opening game and that was against the Crusaders, relax people

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15440
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: apollosghost "2010 was the last time we won our opening game and that was against the Crusaders, relax people'"

I agree with your sentiment but we won our opening game in 2013, hammering Salford 42-0

RankPostsTeam
International Star2866
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "I agree with your sentiment but we won our opening game in 2013, hammering Salford 42-0'"

icon_surprised.gifops: My bad, but we do have an awful "first up" record

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: apollosghost "
Does make you wonder what we keep doing wrong year-in-year-out. We've lost more opening games than won for the last 10 years or so.
(and Giants will not in be a good mood on Friday after today's run-out either)

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I agree with your sentiment but we won our opening game in 2013, hammering Salford 42-0'"

When Wane took over from Madge he said he was going to cut out performances like that v Widnes as he felt we lost too many winnable games. I know we didn't lose the game but its exactly the kind of performance he was on about. And there have been several such games ever since Wane has been in charge, notably one against Widnes a couple of seasons ago and one at home to a very poor Bradford side as examples.

I don't think some slow start syndrome cuts it as an excuse when the coach says he wants to eradicate performances like that. In the Widnes game he had a half time team talk to sort the tactics out v 12 men but you wouldn't have thought so given the way the team played.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15440
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: DaveO "When Wane took over from Madge he said he was going to cut out performances like that v Widnes as he felt we lost too many winnable games. I know we didn't lose the game but its exactly the kind of performance he was on about. And there have been several such games ever since Wane has been in charge, notably one against Widnes a couple of seasons ago and one at home to a very poor Bradford side as examples.

I don't think some slow start syndrome cuts it as an excuse when the coach says he wants to eradicate performances like that. In the Widnes game he had a half time team talk to sort the tactics out v 12 men but you wouldn't have thought so given the way the team played.'"

To be honest I'm pretty sure all top teams still give up shock losses. It's good that Wane has those aims but I do struggle with his arrogance sometimes. Regardless of their respective trophy hauls I wouldn't put him level with Maguire.

91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0478515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
mwindass
9m
Saints h
WWste
23m