JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: DaveO "

Discussing which format is best is as I said fiddling while Rome burns. There just isn't enough money available to the sport to support more full time fully professional sides. Are some teams from outside SL a better bet financially than some of those in it so should get their licenses? Maybe so but if we expanded the number of pro clubs tomorrow into two leagues of 10 (or of 12) or the 24 team idea there just isn't enough money to do it and keep the game full time.

'"

Difficult to disagree.

I think that the propensity of the RFL to keep changing structures ad nauseum actaully does great harm to the game.

Having decided that the licensing system was the way to go (for better or worse) then they really needed to
(1) give it time to work and (2) properly administer it.

and (3) as I think you've said before work a damn sight harder/smarter to get some sponsorship in.

In conclusion probably best to change the people at the top than yet another re-structure.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4562
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Of course it is all about money. What professional sport isn't!

The problem is no one has ever seemed to realise once the game went full time it really [iwas[/i all about money.

Well what are you suggesting? We replace some clubs who you say are misusing money with another set who will do the same? There is no evidence those clubs outside of SL would be any better run or any less self centred once they got their slice of the pie than the current lot.

It's dead simple and always has been ever since the game went full time. It is simply that if you want a full time league you need each team to find at least £1.8m to pay the players wages*. If there isn't 24 x £1.8m available then the game can't afford a full time structure with that many (so called) professional sides because pro sport is all about money. It probably also means each team needs to be turning over about £5m to be viable.

*and that is just to stay where we are never mind compete for talent against the NRL or RU.'"

Exactly it is all about money and the "ALL" is the game of rugby league as a whole and not just Super League.

I am suggesting that throwing all the money into one pot has not seen success and will not see success.

What other clubs could or couldn't do is unknown but at least they should be given a chance, the same chance that the current SL clubs have had for years in the protective umbrella under the licensing system and many of them failed to win a hand even when holding all the cards.

One of the reasons being mentioned is that crowds are down in SL and as a result the shortfall from the diminishing attendances should be subsidised from central funding.

Problem is that this money will be taken away from clubs outside SL.
How can that be justified, why should other clubs foot the bill for a problem that they have played no part in and in fact they are undergoing themselves.

On the one hand some in SL demand to be able to stand alone and get first choice but then ask others who they walk over to pick up the tab when it gets tough for them, which way do they want it they can't have it both ways.

As to NRL and Union. We will never be able to compete with the likes of them.
This paranoia with them is one of the biggest shams of all time.

Yes some will go and play in Australia and some play Union or soccer or whatever but it will be just a few and those that do will have their places filled with some other talent that will reach the grade and the game in this country will be just as good to watch just has happened in the past.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: faxcar "Exactly it is all about money and the "ALL" is the game of rugby league as a whole and not just Super League.

I am suggesting that throwing all the money into one pot has not seen success and will not see success.

What other clubs could or couldn't do is unknown but at least they should be given a chance, the same chance that the current SL clubs have had for years in the protective umbrella under the licensing system and many of them failed to win a hand even when holding all the cards.

One of the reasons being mentioned is that crowds are down in SL and as a result the shortfall from the diminishing attendances should be subsidised from central funding.

Problem is that this money will be taken away from clubs outside SL.
How can that be justified, why should other clubs foot the bill for a problem that they have played no part in and in fact they are undergoing themselves.

On the one hand some in SL demand to be able to stand alone and get first choice but then ask others who they walk over to pick up the tab when it gets tough for them, which way do they want it they can't have it both ways.

As to NRL and Union. We will never be able to compete with the likes of them.
This paranoia with them is one of the biggest shams of all time.

Yes some will go and play in Australia and some play Union or soccer or whatever but it will be just a few and those that do will have their places filled with some other talent that will reach the grade and the game in this country will be just as good to watch just has happened in the past.'"

So what do you want to happen then because I can't really tell from that?

Baring in mind the RFL have completely failed commercially and the only money coming into the sport is what it gets now off the likes of Sky and there is seemingly no prospect of a big cash injection just what do you want to see happen?

The two proposals to restructure the game on the table both involve an expansion of the number of clubs in what you might term the elite competition. Either in two divisions or one of 24 that goes 8x8x8 at some point.

The clubs will all have to be funded to the same amount or either structure would be a farce so that has got to mean much reduced funds for the current SL sides.

That will lower wages for players and you don't seem to care if it does. The fact we can't compete with the NRL or RU on wages is not an excuse to pay our players even less than we do now.

People in favour of ending what they see as a closed shop that is SL seem to talk as if because they see a moral case for doing so then it should happen even if that ruins professional players livelihoods and the game ends up semi-professional again.

If this sport is to remain full time it can only support a certain number of clubs as full time clubs. The idea you can actually expand the top flight competition and remain full time without obtaining extra funding is bonkers but is exactly what the RFL proposals amount to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star671No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

rlhttp://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/castleford-tigers/rfl-call-off-key-summit-in-leeds-which-was-set-to-decide-game-s-future-1-6124221rl

I sense a bit of yorkshire bias by the YEP but i hope IL will hold his nerve and get the "CASH" at the forefront of the RFLs minds and how they generate it !

RankPostsTeam
International Star4562
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What I would like to see is a chance for as many clubs as possible to progress. Let me try and illustrate.

The closed shop situation stops this from happening and produces stagnation with countless meaningless games that people simply do not bother to turn up to and pay and watch, even on tv some of the games are like watching paint dry.

Liken it to an elevator system between floors, at the moment it is out of service with no chance of going up or down.

Even if it was put back into service with the old promotion and relegation the gap between the floors is too vast to make the journey before coming straight back down again in an uncontrolled descent.

As you say a more even distribuiton of funding is essential for it to work.

That is exactly what the new proposed system was meant to do and close the gap and is exactly what this intervention by some SL clubs will prevent as they want more for themselves and less for the rest.

Everything goes in cycles and with the new proposals if a club was on the up naturally then the elevator could take them to the next floor with a chance of staying their.

If a club was in decline naturally and they went down the elevator they would be able to survive, regroup and have a chance to come back stronger.

If a club was somewhere in between then the same applies.

At whatever level a club is at they would have an equall chance to be competative and progress.

You mentioned that people have forgotten that it is a buisness but I say that allthough that is true many have forgotten it's a sport and run the game as if it were only a buisness.

In sport nothing generates exicitment and intererest more than competition, the more competition the better.

Introduce competition and the number of meaningless games would reduce as the majority of clubs would regardless of which division or league they were in have something to play for and when Rugby league is played like this you bet more would be stood there watching it.

This sporting side of the game needs to be rekindled.
This pathway for the clubs and their supporters needs to be reopened and quickly not closed even more.

As regards wages in any profession you can only get paid what is available and in difficult times it will often be less.
I am earning thousands of pounds less than I was 10 years ago but I don't expect something that was earmarked for someone else to be given to me.

It's central funding that we are talking about, in addition each club will be able to pay players what they can from a number of income sources depending on salary cap restrictions, I don't see wholesale pay cuts that will ruin the game.

Leave it as it is and it will die off that is what the recent review of the game has established otherwise there would have been no need for the review in the first place and no proposed changes.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Pie minister "rlhttp://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/castleford-tigers/rfl-call-off-key-summit-in-leeds-which-was-set-to-decide-game-s-future-1-6124221rl

I sense a bit of yorkshire bias by the YEP but i hope IL will hold his nerve and get the "CASH" at the forefront of the RFLs minds and how they generate it !'"

Reading that it makes it sound as if the structure they were going for was the one with the 8x8x8 bit in it.

With a straight divi up of the Sky money the SL clubs currently get £1.2m. Do the same with 24 and it drops to £720K. This assumes the RFL get a share. So that is £480K the clubs either have to hive off their wage bill or generate as extra income to make up the short fall.

If the RFL want this system then in my opinion they need to find an extra £11.52m from somewhere so a professional game can maintain its current level of wages. That is 24 x £480K.

Of course this assumes that there are actually enough players of a standard to warrant being paid current SL level wages which there probably are not which is therefore another reason why this system is stupid.

RankPostsTeam
International Star671No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Reading that it makes it sound as if the structure they were going for was the one with the 8x8x8 bit in it.

With a straight divi up of the Sky money the SL clubs currently get £1.2m. Do the same with 24 and it drops to £720K. This assumes the RFL get a share. So that is £480K the clubs either have to hive off their wage bill or generate as extra income to make up the short fall.

If the RFL want this system then in my opinion they need to find an extra £11.52m from somewhere so a professional game can maintain its current level of wages. That is 24 x £480K.

Of course this assumes that there are actually enough players of a standard to warrant being paid current SL level wages which there probably are not which is therefore another reason why this system is stupid.'"

On that basis you wipe out at least 10 clubs in one foul swoop, if that went through.

And Gary Hetherington would be voting for Rugby Leagues death sentence

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

1.3M to 12 SL1 clubs, 650k down to 150k on a sliding scale to SL2 clubs, 75k to Ch1 clubs. That would be an increase for ALL, but the greedy Chairman at the top want it for themselves. That's how I see it anyway. Hope all the Champ clubs refuse to take part in the DR scheme in 2014. How will you give your players games then

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: faxcar "What I would like to see is a chance for as many clubs as possible to progress. Let me try and illustrate.

The closed shop situation stops this from happening and produces stagnation with countless meaningless games that people simply do not bother to turn up to and pay and watch, even on tv some of the games are like watching paint dry.'"

Where is the evidence that this is the case? Widnes have progressed in a controlled way under licensing and I don't see why the proposed alternative is going to allow progression. There are numerous reasons why your analogy to an elevator does not apply.

For a start unless you force-ably dismantle current SL squads and distribute the players around all the clubs the competition will be a farce when current SL clubs meet ex-championship sides. There just isn't enough talent to go around 24 clubs to give us a genuinely competitive competition and as in any sporting competition the best players will want to play for the best teams that offer the best chance of success. The first part of the season will be a joke and may serve to give the impression of an open system but just as some SL clubs have not got much hope of winning anything today that won't change for them or the ex--championship sides. It will offer an illusion of an open shop and the only way the monopoly of the current best sides will be broken is if someone "does a Koukash" and injects a shed load of cash into a team not because we have a new structure.

Quote: faxcar "As you say a more even distribuiton of funding is essential for it to work.'"

So easy to say that isn't it! An even distribution will reduce SL clubs income by a massive £480K. You can't just do that and hope it will be all right on the night. This is where the RFL have totally failed. Had they come up with this scheme AND funded it they may have got it through on a nod. The fact it isn't funded is the problem.

Quote: faxcar "That is exactly what the new proposed system was meant to do and close the gap and is exactly what this intervention by some SL clubs will prevent as they want more for themselves and less for the rest.

Everything goes in cycles and with the new proposals if a club was on the up naturally then the elevator could take them to the next floor with a chance of staying their.

If a club was in decline naturally and they went down the elevator they would be able to survive, regroup and have a chance to come back stronger.

If a club was somewhere in between then the same applies.

At whatever level a club is at they would have an equall chance to be competative and progress.'"

And why will any of this come to pass? An equal chance to be competitive with which clubs?

Quote: faxcar "You mentioned that people have forgotten that it is a buisness but I say that allthough that is true many have forgotten it's a sport and run the game as if it were only a buisness.'"

I didn't say that but the sport certainly can't ignore the money side of the game. I have always said the object of the exercise is to win trophies not generate cash but equally you can't ignore a certain amount of money is required to run a club competitively.

Quote: faxcar "In sport nothing generates exicitment and intererest more than competition, the more competition the better.

Introduce competition and the number of meaningless games would reduce as the majority of clubs would regardless of which division or league they were in have something to play for and when Rugby league is played like this you bet more would be stood there watching it.'"

You can't just say "introduce competition" as if this is something you can just do because you want to. It requires far more than a desire for there to be competition and not complete blow outs where the top sides put 80 points on the bottom ones. Going to a league of 24 teams is not going to magically rekindle competition.

Quote: faxcar "As regards wages in any profession you can only get paid what is available and in difficult times it will often be less.
I am earning thousands of pounds less than I was 10 years ago but I don't expect something that was earmarked for someone else to be given to me.'"

So I was right. You do want or at least expect the players wages to fall and consider this to be absolutely OK.

This is totally unrealistic. You mention "sport" a lot but what you are really talking about is amateur sport where money issues are secondary. You certainly don't seem to have any appreciation of what going full time means for a sport. The fact you earn less now is totally irrelevant because you are not a pro RL player.

People expect these men to train as top athletes thus forgoing any other career path and yet now they expect it done on the cheap.

The fact is we can as a sport afford to pay a certain number of players a wage commensurate with their talents and the jobs they do. And we [ishould[/i pay wages that will attract top athletes into careers as RL players or we may as well go and watch the likes of Wigan St Pats and close Wigan Warriors down.

There is plenty of competition in the amateur game but no one as in sponsors or broadcasters will contribute money to that.

Distributing the current finite amount money available as you want will inevitably lead to lower standards. You will not get players like Charnley accepting less wages just because there is a recession on. The idea we can let them leave and the next generation will be happy to play for less is unrealistic. They won't be daft enough to take the sport up in the first place.

Quote: faxcar "It's central funding that we are talking about, in addition each club will be able to pay players what they can from a number of income sources depending on salary cap restrictions, I don't see wholesale pay cuts that will ruin the game.'"

There is nothing wrong with central funding if there is enough money in the pot to meet your ambitions but there isn't. That is the problem.

Quote: faxcar "Leave it as it is and it will die off that is what the recent review of the game has established otherwise there would have been no need for the review in the first place and no proposed changes.'"

Why does this follow? I live in Chester which has a soccer team that will never be in the Premiership. It thrives in the leagues it play in. In Australia the NRL is a closed shop. RL outside of the NRL isn't dying in Oz.

The difference is for some reason some people here think the pathway to being in the Elite competition should be wide open and an incredibly easy one. I have no idea why anyone would think this as soon as they get a handle on the fact the game is a full time professional sport. It really is all about money and there is not enough of it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4562
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Reading that it makes it sound as if the structure they were going for was the one with the 8x8x8 bit in it.

Of course this assumes that there are actually enough players of a standard to warrant being paid current SL level wages which there probably are not which is therefore another reason why this system is stupid.'"

Where are you getting these figures from?

This weeks RL press has a question and answer with te RFL and on the cash distribution of central funding it has this to say on indicative or possible figures that have yet to be ratified.

Question. How much central funding will each club get in Super League & the Championship.

The anticipated figures for Super League clubs would be £1.3 million from 2015.
Championship between 650k and 150k for 2015 depending on their league position in 2014.
Championship 1 clubs receive £75k.

Question. How does this compare to what teams in Super League and the Championship get in 2013.

Super League clubs receive a minimum of £1.130k in 2013 with Championship clubs receiving a minimum of 90k and Championship 1 clubs a minimum of £70.

Looking at these amounts the SL clubs will be getting more central funding not less from 2015 onwards as will the other divisions.
This money will be from the reduced number of current SL clubs going from 14 to 12.

The fact is some of the surving 12 want it all to go to them which is all well and good if you survive and are not in any of the other leagues, they are not being asked to take a cut at all and it is purely down to selfish greed as painfull as it is to accept.

Playing standards can only go up as some of the players currently at SL clubs move to other clubs just below them and the competition increases and is just what is needed to give the home grown production line a major boost.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There is far more going on here that we know about. But i do think that now SL clubs need to put their own clubs ahead of anything the RFL has. RFL is not for the clubs that's obvious for a while. Look at the sponsorship deal Stobart and no cash or i think it was William Hill and money. And they took the no money option and that was a lot for the clubs to miss out on. Something smells about that as that deal made no sense at all.

RFL and Hetherington have been hand in glove for a long time and look at the owners in SL i feel that IL knows he has the backing of Mcmanus and from other clubs including Wire. SL need to break away from the RFL and have their own board. SL clubs needs what is best for SL. There are 7 teams that have come out from what i can read in the papers and have said they are not happy about what is going on.

RFL is running the game to the ground and we now need a break away now with the interests of Super League the priority and not every club. Wether supporters of clubs lower down likes it or not SL is the money maker for the game here and the money should go to the clubs in SL and not to a group of glorified accountants at RFL headquarters who can not be bothered to find a sponsor for SL.

Saturday we had one of the best comebacks in rugby in an electric atmosphere something union could only hope for. But union have the marketing that we can only dream of. If SL gets it marketing right then League could have a real bright future here. If not then we will go back to the early 80's of a semi pro game.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: DemonUK "1.3M to 12 SL1 clubs, 650k down to 150k on a sliding scale to SL2 clubs, 75k to Ch1 clubs. That would be an increase for ALL, but the greedy Chairman at the top want it for themselves. That's how I see it anyway. '"

The Sky money is £18m and the RFL gets one share so it is currently divided 15 ways. It would be divided 13 ways under the new scheme so 13 x £1.3m Hope all the Champ clubs refuse to take part in the DR scheme in 2014. How will you give your players games then'"

I presume they would change the rules and bring back the far more sensible U21 competition and allow the odd over age player in. Which they should be doing regardless of any of this anyway!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The Sky money is £18m and the RFL gets one share so it is currently divided 15 ways. It would be divided 13 ways under the new scheme so 13 x £1.3m

I refer the honourable gentleman to the Q&A with the RFL which someone has kindly provided

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: faxcar "Where are you getting these figures from?

This weeks RL press has a question and answer with te RFL and on the cash distribution of central funding it has this to say on indicative or possible figures that have yet to be ratified.

Question. How much central funding will each club get in Super League & the Championship.

The anticipated figures for Super League clubs would be £1.3 million from 2015.
Championship between 650k and 150k for 2015 depending on their league position in 2014.
Championship 1 clubs receive £75k.'"

The figures do not add up. The Sky money is £18m with the RFL taking a share. That would require more than £18m.

My figures are based on dishing the Sky money out evenly which is the only sensible way to do it. That would require the SL clubs to lose £480K. If what you say above is the actual proposal it is totally idiotic and will achieve nothing of what you want.

How on earth can a club on as little as £150K compete with those on four times as much and then some? How can this system possibly work contractually? When would a club stop getting its £1.3m and suddenly drop down to £650K? What happens to the players contracts then?

Are they ripped up as they were when we had simple P&R between SL and NL1? That was unworkable.

This has Nigel Wood's written all over it. He really is useless and given his past and disastrous association with your club (assuming it is Halifax) I can't believe you would trust him to devise a workable scheme.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4562
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

How much evidence do you need, Widnes may have progressed but no one else has!!
It was down to chance that Widnes went up before the door was shut and they were stiched up in the first place to allow Crusaders in to SL when among other things they had half a team who shouldn't even have been in the country.

Nothing is being forcably dismantled that will not happen anyway SL is going to 12 teams regardless and the same players will be affected but the difference is with a pathway they will still have a chance to return to SL with a their new club without it they won't.

I don't agree with your figures and the stats show your maths are not correct as regards to central funding.

Competition will come to pass because there will be something to play for instead of meaningless games and it will be against their closest rivals, for example to avoid the drop or to gain promotion Wakefield v Cas a couple of years back packed the ground.

No I actually said I do not expect to see wholesale pay cuts but some who are not retained at SL level will probably get less.

The game is dying off because outside of SL it is in a cul-de-sac and even in SL apart from the same top clubs it's a poor product.

378 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
378 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0732421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
2m