JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "That is not what the post said Rogues. You ignored what you did not want to face, the TRUTH, that Wigan RLFC would have been bought by somebody else has IL not wanted the opportunity.

However just to play ball with you; I, YOU, EVERYBODY here commits a much bigger % of their income towards Wigan RLFC. IL will walk away from Wigan whenever making a profit and costing him nothing. IL like most owners wants to have his 15 minutes of fame and a 'toy' for no cost and the satisfaction he gains cannot be replicated by investing such a small % of his income elsewhere.

Who invested / invest more in RL, IL or Arthur Thomas / David Hughes ?'"

So who would have bought Wigan?
Why didn't they?
Did they want it on the cheap?
Would they have put more money in than IL?

IL has the right to put HIS money where he wants. The % is irrelevant.

Is the club in a better position now than when he came?

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

CPWigan on WiganWarriorsFans.Com:

Quote: Wigan Peer "is the lack of quality games Wigan's fault, or the fault of some of the rubbish that turns up to play us... Just a thought. Is that IL's fault?'"

I am glad you agree that the competition is rubbish. By doing so ask yourself what is the achievement, what is it worth? You know the answer, the number of sponsors banging on the day clamouring to sponsor events for millions know the answer.

If owners like the DR come along and want to invest vast sums (provided the accept liability themselves) then IL becomes part of the problem not the solution by blocking investment and clubs getting better and SL becoming a better competition.

If an owner emerged who wanted to invest a few million in London then I see nothing wrong with London having no salary cap. Again providing that investor accepts liability.

What is your solution, to keep dothing your cap whilst SL declines.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Rogues Gallery "So who would have bought Wigan?
Why didn't they?
Did they want it on the cheap?
Would they have put more money in than IL?

IL has the right to put HIS money where he wants. The % is irrelevant.

Is the club in a better position now than when he came?'"

You like avoiding questions Rogues particularly when they relate to your 'better' IL

Other investors were mentioned at the time. Do you think Wigan would have remained unsold if IL had not existed? We both no the answer is NO Everybody wanted Wigan on the cheap including IL, IL has not put any money into Wigan RLFC, his initial purchase investment will be recovered as/when he sells and AT a profit.

You Rogues, I, everybody here commits more to Wigan RLFC as a % of our wealth than IL has ever done, whatsmore in terms of other owners IL compares poorly against Hughes at London, Thomas at Leigh/Wigan/Saints, Fulton at Cas

Why should IL try to stop people like the DR provided they accept personal liability from building a RL club in Manchester. Do Salford fans not deserve some success? or are we happy to say we are now set up, screw you Dr, we have a League hotbed to feed from, screw you London.

IL is not a philanthropist. Rich people buy 'toys' be it a super car, a holiday retreat, a sports club. Do you doth your cap Rogues when you see IL? before visiting the toilet icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

P.S Rogues. Runcorn were profitable. Austerity produces profits in a bank but nothing else.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "I am glad you agree that the competition is rubbish. By doing so ask yourself what is the achievement, what is it worth? You know the answer, the number of sponsors banging on the day clamouring to sponsor events for millions know the answer.

If owners like the DR come along and want to invest vast sums (provided the accept liability themselves) then IL becomes part of the problem not the solution by blocking investment and clubs getting better and SL becoming a better competition.

If an owner emerged who wanted to invest a few million in London then I see nothing wrong with London having no salary cap. Again providing that investor accepts liability.

What is your solution, to keep dothing your cap whilst SL declines.'"

Such a condescending attitude, i don't bow to anybody..... Do you really believe there are stacks of Dr's out there willing to throw money at rugby League.... Its not money coming into RL that would be the problem, its the clubs who will sit and moan and do nothing, they have been the cause of the current situation. You are directing your ire at the wrong people.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

IF IL sells Wigan at a profit, good luck to him. He can only do that if Wigan are successful, which I am sure we all want to see (or there is some mug who is starry eyed)

Put the season tickets up and see what happens, the moaners on here will have a field day.

I don't have a problem with IL selling players at a profit, providing that money is invested wisely back into the club, that's business.

The better players in the U16 side are NOT from the Wigan area, so how do we fund the scouting/recruitment of these juniors. Do we honestly believe we wave the we are Wigan flag in their faces?

Ryan Hampshire is the outstanding talent in the U19's, from Wakefield, Rob Lever is from St. Helens. Bradley Mais is from Wales etc etc. This is where the money was and should be invested.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

I really cant believe the attitude of some who want things to stay as they are. Players are now getting paid far less in real terms than 10 years ago and the way that some people are talking they would be quite happy for the salary cap to stay at its current level forever with young players being paid peanuts and being treated as cannon fodder. Others are talking like average players like Tuson dont deserve more in pay because it wont make them a better player and that only star players or 1 marquee player deserves a raise. Does the same apply to them in their jobs? Have they had pay cuts for 10 years in a row? I would actually welcome players going out on strike to get the salary cap lifted or abolished. If we wait until the bottom clubs catch up then the salary cap will never be increased because we have had 10 years and if anything they are now further away.

People talk about attracting sponsors and corporates but a race to the bottom certainly wont do that. The big sponsors and companies want top be associated with a quality product, paying players peanuts, having no stars and having teams made up of kids certainly wont do this. If Koukash wants to plough millions into Rugby League then good on him, the game certainly needs the money and I am sure a few clubs would welcome the transfer fees that may come their way. If Moran wishes to do the same by some sort of sponsorship deal then fair play to him. Who knows this may encourage over benefactors too to come into the game. The game has to raise across the board in just about everything that it does and it certainly isnt going to do this with the salary cap in place as it is now.

In Super League today to cut costs we dont have a proper reserve competition and squads are way too small because of the salary cap meaning that after a few injuries kids are played, many of which are no where near ready, which constantly means a huge reduction in playing standards and intensity. This is only going to get worse with experienced players going to the NRL and being replaced by even more youngsters who in general wont be as good and may not even be ready. Some people are living in a fantasy world where we are just competing with fellow Super League clubs when we are not at all, we are competing with RU and the NRL.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "You Rogues, I, everybody here commits more to Wigan RLFC as a % of our wealth than IL has ever done'"

Really? Jesus Christ the average Wigan fan must be seriously skint then.

Going off Wigan's 2011 accounts the club owed its parent company (Lenegan Holdings or something like that) about £1.5m ie the amount of Lenegan's wealth he has put into the club under that one heading let alone the money he paid to Whelan and in paying off Whelan's loans to the club. Now Lenegan is no Abramovich and that represents a serious amount of his total wealth.

I'm sure many know I'm no big fan of Lenegan and certain decisions he actively supported but quite honestly some of the rubbish you are spouting on here is unbelievable. You don't have a clue how lucky you are to have Lenegan in charge of your club.

ps stop can people please stop including Moran in the "old boys club"

pps can we see how much Koukash spends before buying into his self-publicity.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Albion "It is the incredibly insular people within RL like Ian Lenagan, Gary Hetherington and Adam Pearson that will ultimately be the death of RL in this country.

That article is a complete nonsense, especailly this part

I think that is pretty astute. Wigan can exist at the top end of the SL despite losses to the NRL and despite the fact wages have dropped in real terms for years and we just can't compete with for the best players. Some will be happy with this if we win a CC or GF ignoring being the best in a poor competition is not indicative of a healthy sport.

As I have said IL has done a lot right here. Building up the Orrell facility and plenty of other things such as having the vision to give Madge the coaching job. However when it comes to wider issues of the sport in general he is falling short IMO and does not seem progressive. I don't expect him to fund an increased saalry cap out of his own pocket but I do expect him to work to find funds to increase it, not asking what why would he want to pay more money. The answer to that is obvious.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg

Nobody's asking for it to stay the same. What we all want is more investment from the RFL. The game cannot sustain 14 teams.
They screwed up with the Stobart deal, we have no major sponsor.

Fylde_Warrior complains about doffing the cap but then wants to Dr K to have a free hand to spend as much as he wants. Salford fans will be on bended knee.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Quote: Paul Youane "Really? Jesus Christ the average Wigan fan must be seriously skint then.

Going off Wigan's 2011 accounts the club owed its parent company (Lenegan Holdings or something like that) about £1.5m ie the amount of Lenegan's wealth he has put into the club under that one heading let alone the money he paid to Whelan and in paying off Whelan's loans to the club. Now Lenegan is no Abramovich and that represents a serious amount of his total wealth.

I'm sure many know I'm no big fan of Lenegan and certain decisions he actively supported but quite honestly some of the rubbish you are spouting on here is unbelievable. You don't have a clue how lucky you are to have Lenegan in charge of your club.

ps stop can people please stop including Moran in the "old boys club"

pps can we see how much Koukash spends before buying into his self-publicity.'"

Just out of interest, what is Lenegan's total wealth?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Famous " Some people are living in a fantasy world where we are just competing with fellow Super League clubs when we are not at all, we are competing with RU and the NRL.'"

Based on the quotes in the article IL falls into the first category.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: DaveO "Based on the quotes in the article IL falls into the first category.'"

Absolutely correct. I'm not sure if it's hilarious, worrying or sad.

Probably a combination of all 3.

Some people simply cannot understand that RL has been spoon fed an artificial competitive advantage for the vast majority of it's entire life. Those days are now gone.

RankPostsTeam
International Star115No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a recent RL convert, I think the salary cap is working for RL as a whole but it does have some problems.
Without the cap, the best players would be concentrated into 2 maybe 4 clubs and it would be like the Scottish Premier League (pointless as a competition lets turn up for the playoffs).
Clubs would be living on the edge of financial ruin to compete and we would see more going bust. That can't be good for the game. IMO this would lead to greater player drain, as they would have to leave to achieve their rugby ambitions.
While I Dont like the comments IL made financially it makes sense. IMO IL is doing a good job for wigan within the current limits and constraints.
RL is a great product which IMO is being mismanaged by RFL, to increase the salary cap we need to get more money into the game as a whole not individual clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Paul Youane "I'm sure many know I'm no big fan of Lenegan and certain decisions he actively supported but quite honestly some of the rubbish you are spouting on here is unbelievable. You don't have a clue how lucky you are to have Lenegan in charge of your club.'"

The pro / anti IL debate is a distraction. Few people with maybe one exception are 100% anti-IL. Posts going off on a tangent accusing people of disagreeing with IL on the issue being discussed for all sorts of odd reasons just don't deal with the issue at all.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall you have been a big supporter of the salary cap in the past? If so does that mean you agree with IL's comments? I'd be far more interested to hear your views on that than a have a lecture on how lucky we are to have him.

143 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
143 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.29443359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC