JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DizzyHeights "Played for the penalty by staying down and didn’t get it, he wasn’t bad today but Marshall’s play acting there was a disgrace.'"

you from warrington by any chance?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "So you don't think it should be a penalty and neither do the officials. Sounds like the correct outcome was achieved. Seriously, it's daft this. It's like we're annoyed with the officials for not giving the wrong decision. Wire fans are laughing at us on their board over our reaction to this, and rightfully so.'"

No it's just hypocritical. The refs are quick to pen us for anything and everything & that's before you get to the judiciary and what they see. But when one of our lads gets booted in the head, it's play on, nothing to see here. You then throw in the fact they didn't even go to the video ref and it's starting to confirm the bias many suspect.

It's the same old story tho, refs are protected and every week they get defended for making calls that have major impacts on the game.

Nothing will ever change as long as the waggons are circled and you all to$$ each other off after a game, shouting into your echo chamber of how good of a job your doing. What makes even worse are opposition fans who'll just go along with it because they won, but are too dumb to realise it will happen to them soon. That's why I backed McManus a few years back, even though some of our fans were loving it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: sergeant pepper "No it's just hypocritical. The refs are quick to pen us for anything and everything & that's before you get to the judiciary and what they see. But when one of our lads gets booted in the head, it's play on, nothing to see here. You then throw in the fact they didn't even go to the video ref and it's starting to confirm the bias many suspect.

It's the same old story tho, refs are protected and every week they get defended for making poop calls that have major impacts on the game.

Nothing will ever change as long as the waggons are circled and you all to$$ each other off after a game, shouting into your echo chamber of how good of a job your doing. What makes even worse are opposition fans who'll just go along with it because they won, but are too dumb to realise it will happen to them soon. That's why I backed McManus a few years back, even though some of our fans were loving it.'"

Booted in the head icon_lol.gif Charnley trips over him as he dives at his feet. If he had just ran over and booted him in the head then we would all be calling for a penalty and a red card. The fact no one is calling for a red card for a kick to the head tells you all you need to know. If Charnley had been trying to kick the ball then I think we can start talking about him being reckless, but he's just running towards it like he's supposed to.

Opposition fans are going along with it because it would be ridiculous to penalise Charnley for it. You don't even need to follow rugby to watch that and know it would be wrong to punish Charnley there. The same thing happened in the Grand Final one year. It didn't lead to a try but I definitely recall Tomkins accidentally kicking/tripping over a player, who was hurt by it and stayed down. No penalty, no uproar from our fans that day. I do think it should have gone to video ref, but to be fair it would have rightly come back as 'Try' anyway so maybe he was right to back himself.

As for your refs point - you're way off the money. Officials are dropped far more quickly than players are, and the post match reviews are brutal. It just isn't aired in public, exactly the same as Lam isn't generally going to go out in public and slate individual players.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I wouldn’t get too eat up about that decision last night because it’s not worth the energy. I don’t have the energy to even bother with reffing decisions at the moment because much like our appalling goal kicking record, we have other major issues that need addressing first before buying in to Lam blaming that call for our downfall. I thought Mamo timed his jump wrong for the try on half time and nudged Gildart, forcing him in to the error but much like the Marshall one, what is the point in bemoaning it when we can’t break teams down at the other end for love nor money. We’re just not giving ourselves the chance of over coming any dubious calls. They’re all so important to us because the only way we seem capable of winning games against anyone bar there likes of Wakey and Leigh is by keeping the opposition under 10 points.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I wouldn’t get too eat up about that decision last night because it’s not worth the energy. I don’t have the energy to even bother with reffing decisions at the moment because much like our appalling goal kicking record, we have other major issues that need addressing first before buying in to Lam blaming that call for our downfall. I thought Mamo timed his jump wrong for the try on half time and nudged Gildart, forcing him in to the error but much like the Marshall one, what is the point in bemoaning it when we can’t break teams down at the other end for love nor money. We’re just not giving ourselves the chance of over coming any dubious calls. They’re all so important to us because the only way we seem capable of winning games against anyone bar there likes of Wakey and Leigh is by keeping the opposition under 10 points.'"

I don't disagree with any of the above, but they aren't reason's to not call out BS decisions when they happen. When it comes to refs it's all 'whataboutism' i.e yeah the ref was bad, but what about that knock-on, or what about that missed tackle.

Pointing out mistakes the refs make, doesn't undo the other errors. Ignoring the ref and focusing on just the players doesn't help anyone too. It just strokes their egos even more.

Lam was 100% right to call it out. I don't like him as coach, but that doesn't mean I'll not agree with him either.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "So you don't think it should be a penalty and neither do the officials. Sounds like the correct outcome was achieved. Seriously, it's daft this. It's like we're annoyed with the officials for not giving the wrong decision. Wire fans are laughing at us on their board over our reaction to this, and rightfully so.'"

No - He said he doesn't think players slipping into a tackle and contact being made with head should be a Penalty - But it is
He's saying same thing here

Lets say a player dives on a loose ball - Can the tackler just run past him and make contact with his head (Surely it's reckless to not know that your going to make contact with his head) whilst he's on the ground? And even if the reaction time is a second or so, Marshall hasn't lost the ball at that point, he only loses it after the contact, Due to the clash.
Has the exact scenario ever had a rule written down? I would doubt it, and if the ball had already come loose and Charnley had picked the ball up I may say on balance play on (Here I go again saying use common sense - It'll never catch on) I'd say fair enough.

Remember Charnley didn't even pick the ball up - He was running that fast when he made contact he was 2/3 yards past the player when he fell - If he was looking to pick the ball up he'd be stood over the player almost stationery, Once he sees Marshall diving for the ball why isn't he trying to effect the tackle?
He can't see a loose ball (Because there wasn't one) so as soon as he sees Marshall dive for the ball (and gain possession) his only action should be to tackle him. Can see on the replay Brown saying he thought Charnley was trying to "dig out" the ball.
Whether he was or wasn't - The clash with his feet to Marshalls head created the loss of the ball - I bet you can't point to a rule that says that's ok Intentional or not?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Jukesays "No - He said he doesn't think players slipping into a tackle and contact being made with head should be a Penalty - But it is
He's saying same thing here

Lets say a player dives on a loose ball - Can the tackler just run past him and make contact with his head (Surely it's reckless to not know that your going to make contact with his head) whilst he's on the ground? And even if the reaction time is a second or so, Marshall hasn't lost the ball at that point, he only loses it after the contact, Due to the clash.
Has the exact scenario ever had a rule written down? I would doubt it, and if the ball had already come loose and Charnley had picked the ball up I may say on balance play on (Here I go again saying use common sense - It'll never catch on) I'd say fair enough.

Remember Charnley didn't even pick the ball up - He was running that fast when he made contact he was 2/3 yards past the player when he fell - If he was looking to pick the ball up he'd be stood over the player almost stationery, Once he sees Marshall diving for the ball why isn't he trying to effect the tackle?
He can't see a loose ball (Because there wasn't one) so as soon as he sees Marshall dive for the ball (and gain possession) his only action should be to tackle him. Can see on the replay Brown saying he thought Charnley was trying to "dig out" the ball.
Whether he was or wasn't - The clash with his feet to Marshalls head created the loss of the ball - I bet you can't point to a rule that says that's ok Intentional or not?'"

As you say, it isn't written down as it is interpretation. They're quite poor at writing laws down, and even worse at communicating them to fans. The nearest comparison I can think of is a stray boot to the head when a defender ends up at the back of the tackle. You will get one of them every round, no penalty and people just say 'bad luck, tough sport'.

I think he's upright there anticipating the ball maybe bouncing in a place where he can kick it on or catch it, or maybe ready to tackle Marshall if he catches it upright. Instead Marshall dives on it at Charnley's feet. I can't get into Charnley's head to know for sure but it does look to me like he genuinely just trips over him at speed. Part of this is that you wouldn't just penalise a kick to the head, if you're saying there's any level of intent/recklessness there then he can't stay on the pitch for doing something so dangerous. If would be red card and ban.

Out of interest, if Hicks had put time off there, how would you expect play to restart? Marshall lost it backwards so can't really give a knock on against him. Do we assume he's tackled and give Wigan the ball back even though he dropped it? Tell Mamo to play it where he picked it up? Go back to the previous play the ball before Wigan threw the bad pass? Give Wigan a fresh set of 6 (play irregularly effected - territorial advantage?)?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I wouldn’t get too eat up about that decision last night because it’s not worth the energy. I don’t have the energy to even bother with reffing decisions at the moment because much like our appalling goal kicking record, we have other major issues that need addressing first before buying in to Lam blaming that call for our downfall. I thought Mamo timed his jump wrong for the try on half time and nudged Gildart, forcing him in to the error but much like the Marshall one, what is the point in bemoaning it when we can’t break teams down at the other end for love nor money. We’re just not giving ourselves the chance of over coming any dubious calls. They’re all so important to us because the only way we seem capable of winning games against anyone bar there likes of Wakey and Leigh is by keeping the opposition under 10 points.'"

I thought the same on the Gildart one - and you see other times VR's looking in minute detail if a player is touched etc. when dropping a ball etc. I'd also like a different angle of the Clarke/Partington penalty from the drop out
To me Clarke jumps thinking Partington is going to and actually Partington just stands his ground and Clarke falls over.
No way does Partington "Shepherd" Clarke away from the ball

But - an I think you know my position on Lam from almost day one

10 decent performances in almost 3 years (70ish games) isn't good enough

When were good were actually no better than average
When were average were Poor
And when were poor were Shambolic!!!

We never get more out of a game than we should
Were rubbish

And the Culture has been eroded over the last 2/3 years

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Grimmy "As you say, it isn't written down as it is interpretation. They're quite poor at writing laws down, and even worse at communicating them to fans. The nearest comparison I can think of is a stray boot to the head when a defender ends up at the back of the tackle. You will get one of them every round, no penalty and people just say 'bad luck, tough sport'.

I think he's upright there anticipating the ball maybe bouncing in a place where he can kick it on or catch it, or maybe ready to tackle Marshall if he catches it upright. Instead Marshall dives on it at Charnley's feet. I can't get into Charnley's head to know for sure but it does look to me like he genuinely just trips over him at speed. Part of this is that you wouldn't just penalise a kick to the head, if you're saying there's any level of intent/recklessness there then he can't stay on the pitch for doing something so dangerous. If would be red card and ban.

Out of interest, if Hicks had put time off there, how would you expect play to restart? Marshall lost it backwards so can't really give a knock on against him. Do we assume he's tackled and give Wigan the ball back even though he dropped it? Tell Mamo to play it where he picked it up? Go back to the previous play the ball before Wigan threw the bad pass? Give Wigan a fresh set of 6 (play irregularly effected - territorial advantage?)?'"

No on 2 points

1/ I never said the game should be stopped - Your putting the exact opposite words into my mouth
I'm quite alright him going to the VR 10 seconds later and in the mean time Marshall gets whatever treatment he needs - Where have I said differently ???
You will 100% disagree - but I wrote a couple of weeks ago about referees spending that much time being told stuff that if this happens, this must happen next, reviewing thousands of scenarios thinking the next one will be exactly the same so we MUST do the same thing we practiced for etc. to justify going full time.
When all they need to do is pick their heads up and be allowed to see the game that's in front of them, not what was hypothetically discussed in a class room over and over again weeks/months earlier.
I'm not going to elaborate but that's whats happening here.

Secondly - you say :- " it isn't written down as it is interpretation"
Then say the nearest thing you can come up with is a stray boot at the play the ball - 99% of the time a stray boot at the PTB is on a prone defender who is in and around lying on the floor in the ruck - He isn't in possession of the ball
I've never see a stray boot injure the player in possession of the ball lied on the floor, unless he was intentionally being kicked or a kicking motion to ick the ball was being performed.

But it happened - so you cant draw parallels to a completely different scenario and say it's the same outcome.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7019No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Onwards and upwards - LTID:

Quote: Cruncher "That's where the ref went wrong.

An awful lot of people on here are assuming it was an accident (presumably because the offender was Charnley, who usually doesn't know what's going on in front of his nose let alone has time to kick it).

That's a big assumption when something is happening at game-speed.

But it's often been the case that accidental collision with the head has resulted in penalties. Rightly or wrongly, we've all seen it and been infuriated by it dozens of times.

It was typical of Hicks, the most snivelling excuse for a referee we've got (out of a whole selection of them) to choose this occasion to do nothing at all.'"

He probably wanted his supper - Kendall would still be looking at it now icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star4722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51052_1304440802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51052.jpg

Quote: rubber duckie "Nope. He was acting. Marshall thumped the ground when he lost the ball, as
Mamo was away. The camera followed Mamo and Marshall ground thump wasn’t seen on tv. Unless there is a 4/5 second delay getting ‘clearly knocked out’!?'"

Philbin was acting also as he walked off the pitch....

RankPostsTeam
International Star4722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51052_1304440802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51052.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Careless isn't the same as accidental. We can talk about whether he was careless/reckless, and if he was then he needs penalising and red carding given the severity of the offence, but an accidental kick is not a penalty no matter how many times people claim it as fact. I've just watched it back this morning, there is less than a second between Marshall dropping to the floor and Charnley making contact. I don't think it's even careless from Charnley, he's just chasing after a loose ball.'"

the ball wasnt loose

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player10No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

After all this arguing I can't understand why Union is more popular and currently miles more watchable....I understand their rules as in any contact with the head is a penalty. We're all debating that. I watched the hockey in the Olympics and the ball can't touch the foot and it's accepted as a rule. Only in rugby League currently is this fact up for debate. There was no intention and it was an accidental.... The level of injury should always be inconsequential. It happened and Marshal failed the his hia. To me it's a penalty as harsh as it is against cjarnley. I don't even blame the ref as rugby League is shooting itself all the time with great ideas...... It's never consistent and therefore this debate is happening. It's why unless you're involved/been brought up with/played the game then no people are attracted to the game. I may be wrong and that's ok, but that's my opinion...... The way I see it contact to the head is a penalty regardless of intent or it's down to the referees discretion. I've been watching rugby League for 32 years and even I don't know what's the right decision. I'm also biased in wigans favour but to be fair the players didn't look like they knew what's happening. I'm trying to be fair here and I understand why Union is more widely watched as the rules can be explained. If I was trying to show a new fan now and explain the rules to them then I really don't know where to start. Sorry for the long message

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Watching Liam Moore tonight referee Hull vs Leeds and thinking it should be used as a training video for the other refs in how to carry yourself. He is in total control, shows an authority on the field but deals with players in a really respectful manner and has been having a good laugh with them at points.

Absolute chalk and cheese to the on field manner of guys like Thaler, Hicks and especially Child (he could be the training video on how not to carry yourself on the field).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17200
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

Quote: Pieman "Philbin was acting also as he walked off the pitch....'"

Perhaps he was, but he isn’t putting the team under pressure by not being available next Sunday.

103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

10.81591796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Championship Awards
Mr Bliss
4m
Decision on the field
hatty
7m