JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: yickpie24 "Unfortunately for SW the days of ranting and raving are gone in sports coaching, when the team aren't performing he has generally employed this tactic, Sky will often flick to the half time team talk in the dressing sheds and the silver back will be frothing at the mouth. You look at some of the other coaches in recent times and they are quite tactical i.e. Tony Smith, Brian McDermott, Mag McGuire. Albeit Mag did blow up from time to time and McDermott enjoys a sulk...especially when he has been beaten in his TV interviews, but their records speak for themselves.

SW is on borrowed time and I would fully back seeing a new coach at DW in 2017, we have lost two consecutive GF's which IMO we should have won, it hurts, and quite frankly he needs to start producing results as the team are going backwards. Having watched the games at home to Huddersfield and Hull we looked 'clunky' in attack - players running terrible lines, poor handling, halves not combining well. I don't really have a lot of confidence in Sam Powell at 9 or Matty Smith at 7 and IL has failed to step up and sign a decent 6, in fairness to Sam Powell he has had to step in to replace MM and there in lies the problem we need to guidance and leadership around the ruck and in the middle of the park. The defence looks paper thin...the aging Gareth Ellis in his twilight years carved us up the middle on Friday, say no more.

Whilst Hull FC are a different prospect this year and look injury free and balanced for once, I'm not entirely convinced they are the Brisbane Broncos and will be making a name for themselves come the playoffs. With all the stink happening around Saints, KC and their performances please consider they are 4th and we are 5th?!!

So whilst I have pointed the finger and had a whinge what are the solutions...obviously injuries haven't helped SW but he needs to stop tinkering with the team and find some sort of settled line up. With ST back he can put Sarginson back in his proper position in the centre (considering he doesn't play like he did on Friday again), Bateman is our best forward and needs to play in the 2nd row. Crosby was poor on Friday and needs to give way to Flower when he is fit with Liam Farrell coming back in when he is ready. Unfortunately the 6, 7, 9 conundrum is a difficult one and given his time again I think SW would have retained Logan Tomkins but hindsight is a wonderful thing...if Tommy Leauluai became available then Wigan need to snap him up as he changed the game when RTS was injured against The Dogs a few weeks ago...the reality is that this would not happen until 2017 if it did.

All in all I think SW has gone as far as he can go, I hope I am wrong and then we do the double...but I can't see it at all as ranting and raving is all he has I feel, lets see.'"

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, what he needs is support IMO.

Also I think Clubb and Flower have been good signings, I like their commitment especially Clubbs Impact off the bench, yes he gives away the odd penalty but his aggression in defence is great.

The problem I think is with Joel and Mossop, they really need to pull their fingers out or I'd be looking to get rid. If they weren't Wigan lads I think they'd have already left or not come back.

With regards to O'Loughlin I think if he only played a handful of games a year he'd be worth it on the salary cap, the guy is a superstar and without him we are screwed. I'm trying to savour every minute of him playing because I do t look forward to him retiring.

All in all we need to either let the players have freedom in attack or bring in an assistant who can organise our attack.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7558
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lockers is only on 100k max because of the homegrown/testimonial rule.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29674
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

He struggled big time on Friday Lockers and whisper it quietly but he has done for a little while now in a Wigan shirt. He seems to be struggling to get any intensity in his play on a week by week basis. If you compare what he's produced for us over the past season and a bit to what he did for England against the Kiwis its chalk and cheese. Maybe his body just hasn't got what it takes to raise to those levels week to week but after a small lay off and a game to tune up at Dewsbury I'd have expected more.

I said in another thread he's one of our three most important players and he's our captain so we need him to try and raise himself to help pull us in to a bit of form. When we've got a fully fit squad you would imagine they'll look to manage his workload.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1832No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15723.gif
:15723.gif

Thank God Wane isn't concerned by our dire attacking structures, heaven forbid he would put any time into fixing it. Best to get them doing a week of hill sprints instead.

When he comes out with comments that he isn't concerned, it really does worry me that he doesn't think we are far off. Does he not know the fans are bored stiff, and that even if we stop dropping ball, we will still be the most boring team in SL to watch? Does he think the fans enjoy watching a wrestle in defence and a team that literally catch and pass along a flat line?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: Wigg'n "Lockers is only on 100k max because of the homegrown/testimonial rule.'"

There has never been a homegrown rule limiting cap value (with the clubs voting that the marquee rule should come in instead) and the testimonial rule was removed when the marquee rule was brought in place. Since it's well documented Sam is Wigans marquee, there are no rules which stop SOLs value being whatever he's being paid (which I believe to be quite a chunk.)

media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Super%20 ... 202016.pdf
Quote: Wigg'n "Lockers is only on 100k max because of the homegrown/testimonial rule.'"

There has never been a homegrown rule limiting cap value (with the clubs voting that the marquee rule should come in instead) and the testimonial rule was removed when the marquee rule was brought in place. Since it's well documented Sam is Wigans marquee, there are no rules which stop SOLs value being whatever he's being paid (which I believe to be quite a chunk.)

media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Super%20 ... 202016.pdf

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: ChrisA "Thank God Wane isn't concerned by our dire attacking structures, heaven forbid he would put any time into fixing it. Best to get them doing a week of hill sprints instead.

When he comes out with comments that he isn't concerned, it really does worry me that he doesn't think we are far off. Does he not know the fans are bored stiff, and that even if we stop dropping ball, we will still be the most boring team in SL to watch? Does he think the fans enjoy watching a wrestle in defence and a team that literally catch and pass along a flat line?'"

This is my view also. Over the past few weeks people have been hoping that as players returned from injury things would pick up and that because while they were out we still scraped several wins we were in a good position and so we could kick on from there. That wouldn't be an unreasonable stance to take if it were not for the fact before the injuries hit our attack still looked clueless.

With ST back and when Farrell returns we may be better than Friday because the pair of them are players who offer some leadership. If MM comes back in August it could improve things again on that score but it may be too late by then. The trouble is individual players having a go and busting a gut is what we rely on. We aren't relying on good tactics and a good game plan so in my opinion even with a full team while it may be a bit better we will still come up short against better coached teams. That was the difference between us winning and losing the GF v Leeds, IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8544
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't know how well your pack has played in previous weeks, but a lot of what you can do in attack is based on quick PTB's and forward dominance. There was only a spell of 10-15 minutes on Friday when our intensity in defence was poor and you started to make yards - and you scored your tries. It is hard to play attacking, off the cuff rugby on the back of slow play the balls due to dominant defence. You have dangerous backs, but I think you need a couple of props to become the Wigan you once where. Our props on Friday - Taylor, Watts, Bowden, Green (and Thompson/Ellis) all have excellent footwork at the line, which enables them to make better contact into defenders to either get a quick play the ball, or poke their nose through. Your props are pretty much built the same - Clubb, Crosby, Sutton - they just seem (to me) to be up and down players with no footwork/offload ability so if they are getting dominated, they cannot change the way they play

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach507
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36649.jpg
King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 2019 - Lam (Edwards part time in background) 2020 - Edwards Mr Lebron James replied with :CRAZY: King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 I am just letting you know what I have heard is happening the moral or professional aspects are not being discussed. Lam will be the main coach 2019 and Edwards will work along side but not in public view until 2020 maybe we will end up following the Leeds Rhinos director of rugby style. And Mr Lebron James replied with !!!!!! :DRUMMER: Lebron James wrote: Do you want to have a bet on that? I will bet whatever you want on it as long as there is a third party to hold the money. Regards - King James (Lebron) "THERE IS ONLY ONE KING..........JOHNS!":36649.jpg

Quote: Ziggy Stardust "Wane wanted all ego's out as there is only room enough for his.

Look closely, all the Aussies who probably had a lot to say and anyone in the coaching staff with clout have slowly gone.

Now King Wane has his castle with only young lads and the favourites to rule over.'"

This is spot on!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dumbest team? Or tactical?

I think Wane verdict will only be in at the end of the season. The injury list is large, but also intriguing. I for one don't believe that our injured player (bar Micky) are as bad, or require as much time off as they're being granted.
I do however believe Wane is playing a squad game resting our senior players rotating their playing time so they'll be fresh at the business end of the season.

In Wane's early days he won the LLS, then had a spend first team who were knocked out of the playoffs, I think at the same time 5th played Leeds went on to win the comp. He's learnt from this and being tactical about how and when he's full first team come to the fold.

In the meantime of resting senior players he awards the young lads with game time at SL so they're ready if needs must.

I imagine we'll come to in the next few months when the senior players are all back playing and given time to gel.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Well once again I had a very enjoyable weekend in Wigan. Just a shame about the rugby on Friday night, which was a bit rubbish. icon_twisted.gif

It is getting to the point where I'm getting cautious about encouraging friends to accompany me, though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7558
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "There has never been a homegrown rule limiting cap value (with the clubs voting that the marquee rule should come in instead) and the testimonial rule was removed when the marquee rule was brought in place. Since it's well documented Sam is Wigans marquee, there are no rules which stop SOLs value being whatever he's being paid (which I believe to be quite a chunk.)

Interesting, thanks. So Lockers' salary has gone up massively because of that rule being scrapped? No wonder we are at the cap limit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2973
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Wigg'n "Interesting, thanks. So Lockers' salary has gone up massively because of that rule being scrapped? No wonder we are at the cap limit.'"

There is still a club trained player rule. The maximum value of which is £100K. You get it in £5K chunks for every club trained player who completed 10 salary cap relevant matches the preceding season. So to get the full whack this season you would need 20 club trained players who had all completed 10 matches in 2015.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7558
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Dumbest team? Or tactical?

I think Wane verdict will only be in at the end of the season. The injury list is large, but also intriguing. I for one don't believe that our injured player (bar Micky) are as bad, or require as much time off as they're being granted.
I do however believe Wane is playing a squad game resting our senior players rotating their playing time so they'll be fresh at the business end of the season.

In Wane's early days he won the LLS, then had a spend first team who were knocked out of the playoffs, I think at the same time 5th played Leeds went on to win the comp. He's learnt from this and being tactical about how and when he's full first team come to the fold.

In the meantime of resting senior players he awards the young lads with game time at SL so they're ready if needs must.
'"

So the only game that matters is the GF? May as well not bother with a season ticket if that is the case.

I think it is pretty obvious what you suggest is just simply not true and that there is no evidence for it.

132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.61376953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Uncle Rico
24m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
Recent
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
2m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m
tad rhino
3m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
4m
Season 2024
tomtom84
4m
Uncle Rico
4m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
5m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,885 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22