FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Will there be changes on Saturday?.
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "But the overall trend is he falls short more or less every time. Why is it that at our very best under McNamara with a weakened Australia team we can only be about level with them? Even with a couple of injuries under Waite and Noble we still managed to beat good Australia teams, the margins were 8, 12 and 11 points. In all three games we started the game well and kept it going in the second half. We didn't have to come back from behind or score a late winner and we had it sealed late on. Coaching at international level is a very hard job but he is failing to live up to the standards of his predecessors, never mind improving on their efforts'"

Yes you are right, and I'm no fan of McNamara. His decisions last year cost us a place in the World Cup final IMO - leaving out James Graham and Gaz Hock for the Aussie group game and sticking blindly with Sinfield and Chase.

However with the correct video ref decision we win and get to the final with a chance of winning the tournament. My main point was that luck plays a part in sport and he got none on Sunday. It could end up costing him his job (or one of them!!!).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "If you think that SOL's sole contribution was to give away penalties then I'm with you. No point in continuing. Aww come on, I've still not ingested my requisite amount of anti Wigan bile yet! Please ask him to come back! d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jinkin jimmy "Aww come on, I've still not ingested my requisite amount of anti Wigan bile yet! Please ask him to come back!
Lol....

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71261.jpeg

Quote: jinkin jimmy "Aww come on, I've still not ingested my requisite amount of anti Wigan bile yet! Please ask him to come back!
Not anti Wigan bile at all. Just don't rate O'Loughlin at the present time. I am not denying his class I just don't think that after his injuries he is performing at his best. In the Aussie match he IMO did not perform well and gave away too many penalties. May be this was due to his own frustration at his below standard performance I don't know.
May be you should ask yourself why my criticism of a Wigan player should be transcribed by you into anti Wigan bile.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Keiththered "Not anti Wigan bile at all. Just don't rate O'Loughlin at the present time. I am not denying his class I just don't think that after his injuries he is performing at his best. In the Aussie match he IMO did not perform well and gave away too many penalties. May be this was due to his own frustration at his below standard performance I don't know.
May be you should ask yourself why my criticism of a Wigan player should be transcribed by you into anti Wigan bile.'"

He is not the only Wigan player you have had a pop at. Previously you had a pop at Joel Tomkins as well.

Reason England lost the match was more down to defensive errors in certain moments and Wigan players were involved but so were others which oyu really have not mentioned so therefore you come over as Anti Wigan. If you were balanced or fair you would point out more than just errors from 1 team.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: tank123 "He is not the only Wigan player you have had a pop at. Previously you had a pop at Joel Tomkins as well.

Reason England lost the match was more down to defensive errors in certain moments and Wigan players were involved but so were others which oyu really have not mentioned so therefore you come over as Anti Wigan. If you were balanced or fair you would point out more than just errors from 1 team.'"

If you read the response to my comment about Joel Tomkins you will see Wigan supporter agreed with me. Can you honestly say that Joel deserves to be included before Elliott Whitehead? He was responsible for the Aussies first try. I thought Tomkins and O'Loughlin were two weak links. That is my opinion your opinion may be different. These are the only two Wigan players I have commented on even though others were playing. I do not feel the defeat was due to Wigan players, the coach picked the players and set the team tactics and that has been the basis of my argument all along. I used the examples of the Wigan players to show IMO how McNamara continues poor selection even after the Chase/Sinfield debacle. That incidentally is not getting at the Cas/Rhino clubs. Some of you on here seem to be a little sensitive.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: tank123 "He is not the only Wigan player you have had a pop at. Previously you had a pop at Joel Tomkins as well.

Reason England lost the match was more down to defensive errors in certain moments and Wigan players were involved but so were others which oyu really have not mentioned so therefore you come over as Anti Wigan. If you were balanced or fair you would point out more than just errors from 1 team.'"

Josh Hodgson was partly at fault for two of the tries on Sunday, but it's hardly been mentioned

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Josh Hodgson was partly at fault for two of the tries on Sunday, but it's hardly been mentioned'"

if he played for us i bet Keiththered would have reminded us.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Keiththered "If you read the response to my comment about Joel Tomkins you will see Wigan supporter agreed with me. Can you honestly say that Joel deserves to be included before Elliott Whitehead? He was responsible for the Aussies first try. I thought Tomkins and O'Loughlin were two weak links. That is my opinion your opinion may be different. These are the only two Wigan players I have commented on even though others were playing. I do not feel the defeat was due to Wigan players, the coach picked the players and set the team tactics and that has been the basis of my argument all along. I used the examples of the Wigan players to show IMO how McNamara continues poor selection even after the Chase/Sinfield debacle. That incidentally is not getting at the Cas/Rhino clubs. Some of you on here seem to be a little sensitive.'"

So your not Anti Wigan but again you just have a pop at Wigan players and justify it by saying others were playing as well.

Be honest you are Anti Wigan yet again you only name Wigan players in that game. Thats the point that makes you Anti Wigan.

Would you play Watkins next week. He was the worst defender on Sunday yet you neglect that and the fact Hodgson defense also let him down. Again a point you do not make.

You say your not Anti Wigan but the facts show you are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: tank123 "So your not Anti Wigan but again you just have a pop at Wigan players and justify it by saying others were playing as well.

Be honest you are Anti Wigan yet again you only name Wigan players in that game. Thats the point that makes you Anti Wigan.

Would you play Watkins next week. He was the worst defender on Sunday yet you neglect that and the fact Hodgson defense also let him down. Again a point you do not make.

You say your not Anti Wigan but the facts show you are.'"

I was not again having a pop at Wigan players I was merely repeating what I had already said in previous posts.

You do not actually comment on the original point of the discussion. Should Joel Tomkin, who was nothing more than ordinary since his return from Union have been selected in preference to Elliott Whitehead, who was fantastic all season? Sean O'Loughlin did not appear to be fit after his injury problems and playing at his normal standard. He also gave away too many penalties. If O'Loughlin was on top of his game no one would doubt he should be in the team but he isn't.

If you feel that is anti Wigan because I did not go through the whole team then so be it. It was their selection I was querying. I do not think they should have been selected and their performances proved my point. I did not question McNamara's other selections hence I did not comment on their performances. It is easy to see players faults after the match as in Watkins and Hodgson. The situation with Tomkin and O'Loughlin should have been clear to the coach before the match.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Keiththered "I was not again having a pop at Wigan players I was merely repeating what I had already said in previous posts.

You do not actually comment on the original point of the discussion. Should Joel Tomkin, who was nothing more than ordinary since his return from Union have been selected in preference to Elliott Whitehead, who was fantastic all season? Sean O'Loughlin did not appear to be fit after his injury problems and playing at his normal standard. He also gave away too many penalties. If O'Loughlin was on top of his game no one would doubt he should be in the team but he isn't.

If you feel that is anti Wigan because I did not go through the whole team then so be it. It was their selection I was querying. I do not think they should have been selected and their performances proved my point. I did not question McNamara's other selections hence I did not comment on their performances. It is easy to see players faults after the match as in Watkins and Hodgson. The situation with Tomkin and O'Loughlin should have been clear to the coach before the match.'"

Tomkins is as good as any second row England have but that really does not say a lot as its England's only real weakness since Hock got kicked out last season. Whitehead has looked good at times but so does Faz against weaker sides. And he is in the side as his defending is better than most of the others. For me i would have taken John Bateman along as cover as its obvious its England's major issue. On one leg SOL is a better player than Westerman.

Also i take it given your judgement on Joel you have seen every Wigan game he has played this season. Same with Whitehead have you seen all of his games.

RankPostsTeam
International Star104No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Artist formerly known as THELAST3YARDS:

Quote: tank123 "Tomkins is as good as any second row England have but that really does not say a lot as its England's only real weakness since Hock got kicked out last season. Whitehead has looked good at times but so does Faz against weaker sides. And he is in the side as his defending is better than most of the others. For me i would have taken John Bateman along as cover as its obvious its England's major issue. On one leg SOL is a better player than Westerman.

Also i take it given your judgement on Joel you have seen every Wigan game he has played this season. Same with Whitehead have you seen all of his games.'"

Was it possible to watch both of these players play each game they turned out in?

FWIW I haven't seen all of Joels games since he returned but on my limited views I wouldn't start him for Wigan ahead of Farrell or Bateman. SOL is a given at 13.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MatautiaVila "Was it possible to watch both of these players play each game they turned out in?

FWIW I haven't seen all of Joels games since he returned but on my limited views I wouldn't start him for Wigan ahead of Farrell or Bateman. SOL is a given at 13.'"

I agree with you. If England had the Joel Tomkins of 3 years ago and Hock at second row then England would have made the final now. Think England have 3-4 second row players at about the same level but none stand out.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8128No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The favourite changes that would be made on here are Farrell and Tomkins from the 2nd row to be replaced by Ferres and Whitehead.
Ferres is playing off the bench so is in the 17.
Whitehead misses too many tackles to be considered against NRL teams.
Saints fans think LMS should be there but he gives away too many penalties.
McNamara seems to be playing it tight by selecting Farrell and Tomkins as both miss very few tackles and concede few penalties.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: Father Ted "The favourite changes that would be made on here are Farrell and Tomkins from the 2nd row to be replaced by Ferres and Whitehead.
Ferres is playing off the bench so is in the 17.
Whitehead misses too many tackles to be considered against NRL teams.
Saints fans think LMS should be there but he gives away too many penalties.
McNamara seems to be playing it tight by selecting Farrell and Tomkins as both miss very few tackles and concede few penalties.'"

Tank123 will be happy with you. He will definitely consider you pro Wigan. It doesn't matter to him that you give reasons for your selections, only that you don't criticise Wigan players. I don't happen to agree with you in the case of Tomkins and Whitehead but there you are. I am anti Wigan you know.

132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.85791015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
Recent