JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Flower in the pecking order above Prescott and Dudson, Hopefully not playing prop. Our Ben just isn't big enough for the front row.
Crosby at 26 suggests he'll go on loan or DR next season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1144No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Whats happened to Jack Murphy?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Pieman "Hughes at 4...sigh'"

Agreed. He looks as good as Joel T and Hansen did early in their career - in the pack!. He has the potential to be an International back row forward IMO.

Instead history is repeating itself and just like Joel T at centre not only does that mean we lack a genuine centre playing 4 it means we miss out on the talents of Hughes in the pack.

It will probably work against weaker opposition but not against the better sides.

Overall I don't think many teams will be frightened of that squad. Too much in common with the squad of 2006 than 2011 or 2012 quality-wise.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Agreed. He looks as good as Joel T and Hansen did early in their career - in the pack!. He has the potential to be an International back row forward IMO.

Instead history is repeating itself and just like Joel T at centre not only does that mean we lack a genuine centre playing 4 it means we miss out on the talents of Hughes in the pack.

It will probably work against weaker opposition but not against the better sides.

Overall I don't think many teams will be frightened of that squad. Too much in common with the squad of 2006 than 2011 or 2012 quality-wise.'"

Chances are Hughes won't be able to make the team playing as a forward so starting him off at centre seems sensible. As it stands he's the best option in that position until Thornley or Gelling are able to show what they've got to offer.

Just because Hughes is number 4 doesn't mean he won't get an opportunity to play in the pack. After all Thornley has been given number 17 which suggests he's likely to get a decent number of games too.

The squad numbers are usually little more than a reward. Neither Thornley or Gelling performed as well as Hughes did and as Hughes is one of the centre options he got the number 4 shirt.

If he turns out to be the best option at centre after the pre-season games then it's best for him to stay there until someone can force their way ahead of him. He'll still be able to feature in the back row too but it seems the club basically want him playing in the first team and I can't see that as a bad thing.

I agree with the last part though. This isn't a strong squad and it's much more like a step backwards than forwards.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Cherry.Pie "Chances are Hughes won't be able to make the team playing as a forward so starting him off at centre seems sensible. As it stands he's the best option in that position until Thornley or Gelling are able to show what they've got to offer.

Just because Hughes is number 4 doesn't mean he won't get an opportunity to play in the pack. After all Thornley has been given number 17 which suggests he's likely to get a decent number of games too.

The squad numbers are usually little more than a reward. Neither Thornley or Gelling performed as well as Hughes did and as Hughes is one of the centre options he got the number 4 shirt.

If he turns out to be the best option at centre after the pre-season games then it's best for him to stay there until someone can force their way ahead of him. He'll still be able to feature in the back row too but it seems the club basically want him playing in the first team and I can't see that as a bad thing.'"

I am sure Wane thinks he's the best option but I don't see how that conflicts with anything I posted about it essentially being a compromise.

I also don't agree he wouldn't get many games in the pack. I reckon in the 2nd row he would already push Faz for a place. Faz is more suited to 13 IMO anyway but he won't get much of a chance there I know but there is just too much compromising going on. Faz isn't really a 2nd row and Hughes isn't a centre.

I like both players and in Hughes I can see that same kind of spark that set Hansen and Joel apart when they first hit the senior squad.

It would be a pity if his potential was hindered or his confidence affected by being played out of position. I don't really see what benefit he will get from playing centre if ultimately he isn't suited to the job.

Quote: Cherry.Pie "I agree with the last part though. This isn't a strong squad and it's much more like a step backwards than forwards.'"

Not enough players to "scare" the opposition. It will be close Sam down and wind up Hock when he comes on and that is our threats nullified. A lot of responsibility is going to lie with Green to add a third threat as Finch did and Smith has big boots to fill in at 7. Lauaki effectively being the pack leader is just sad compared to recent packs that had front rowers like Coley and Fielden never mind Lima.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree with most of this so far. Hughes is a great prospect and I really hope he reaches his full potential. He could develop into a quality centre with the right coaching. Last season we saw numbers left blank for new signings. The absence of the blanks suggests this is it and we have to crack on with what we've got. On paper not as threatening as last season but as they say, RL is not played on paper. Bring on the season!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "I am sure Wane thinks he's the best option but I don't see how that conflicts with anything I posted about it essentially being a compromise.

I also don't agree he wouldn't get many games in the pack. I reckon in the 2nd row he would already push Faz for a place. Faz is more suited to 13 IMO anyway but he won't get much of a chance there I know but there is just too much compromising going on. Faz isn't really a 2nd row and Hughes isn't a centre.

I like both players and in Hughes I can see that same kind of spark that set Hansen and Joel apart when they first hit the senior squad.

It would be a pity if his potential was hindered or his confidence affected by being played out of position. I don't really see what benefit he will get from playing centre if ultimately he isn't suited to the job.

Not enough players to "scare" the opposition. It will be close Sam down and wind up Hock when he comes on and that is our threats nullified. A lot of responsibility is going to lie with Green to add a third threat as Finch did and Smith has big boots to fill in at 7. Lauaki effectively being the pack leader is just sad compared to recent packs that had front rowers like Coley and Fielden never mind Lima.'"

I think Faz is just as comfortable at second row as he is at loose forward. He's shown himself to be effective in both positions he just needs to improve his consistency which is nothing unusual for young forwards.

I think Farrell is pretty much nailed on to be ahead of Hughes in the pecking order. Hughes has had some good moments and was excellent against Catalans in France but he's had some ineffectual games too.

The player he was most likely to put pressure on is Tuson but there's no chance that Wane will drop him from his weekly 10 minute spell.

Still, playing in a different position isn't necessarily going to hinder a player. In some cases it can help them. I think in this country we're a little too obsessed with putting players in their places and insisting they never play anywhere else. For Hughes working on his speed and handling should benefit him when playing in the second row. I really don't expect it to be a permanent switch though unless he ends up doing incredibly well there. I think Thornley is still expected to be the long term replacement.

As it stands though Tomkins does seem like our only real attacking threat. Blake Green needs to have a very good year along with Matty Smith because the vast majority of the good things we did in attack last year were down to the organisation and structures involving the halfbacks.

The pack could still be fairly strong in theory but for me it requires Prescott to be fully fit and capable of playing alongside Mossop without one of them getting injured. If Taylor, Dudson and Flower show improvement and Lauaki puts in good performances every week rather than being ridiculously inconsistent then there's still a bit of hope.

I'm not expecting a top four finish though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

Quote: Bilko "Wigan Warriors 2013 Squad List
1. Sam Tomkins
2. Josh Charnley
3. Darrell Goulding
4. Jack Hughes
5. Pat Richards
6. Blake Green
7. Matthew Smith
8. Epalahame Lauaki
9. Michael McIlorum
10. Lee Mossop
11. Harrison Hansen
12. Liam Farrell
13. Sean O'Loughlin
14. Gareth Hock
15. Ben Flower
16. Chris Tuson
17. Iain Thornley
18. Gimmick
19. Paul Prescott
20. Gil Dudson
21. Scott Taylor
22. Anthony Gelling
23. Logan Tomkins
24. Sam Powell
25. Rhodri Lloyd
26. Dom Crosby'"

Some odd choices, but I guess they're only numbers. I also want to know what happened to Murphy? ETA: Or have they just listed our top 25 on the SC?

Seems a bit harsh on Prescott who imo is still our 2nd best prop after Mossop if everyone is on form, for him to be out of the 17 is silly icon_confused.gif
Again, Hock has had a great year, and as long as nothing goes wrong (I have no idea what is going on there) he should be starting at 12... he had a much better year than Farrell icon_confused.gif
Not really convinced on Lauaki as number 8... not sure he was good enough to 'overtake' Precott or Dudson, not even close.
As for Hughes... well I guess if they hadn't put someone in the number 4 there would have been mass speculation that we were signing someone... but I do hope that one of Thornley/Gelling to make that position his own in the season, they are much more natural in the centre position.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Not a bad squad by any means but some big players gone and on paper replaced by lesser players, but there may be players who supprise people

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

VERY weak squad. What on earth has happened to the cap money?

Actually, I know it's odd but even though I knew what personnel we had (and more importantly "hadn't"icon_wink.gif I am actually feeling depressed about next year.

Not only is the competition a joke and 75% of games pointless, the quality of the players at Wigan RL is at a 5 year low. Maybe they will "gel" as a team and surprise us, but looking at the half back pairing (let alone cover there) I am not holding my breath.

Mediocrity. Sadly that's not good enough for Wigan RL imo and I would be happy to debate this with IL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star203No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Young squad, looks good enough to belt most of the teams in the league to me as well as challenge wire & leeds for trophies. Think there's some overreaction here to not seeing any "big signings" when we don't really know how a lot of the new signings & youngsters will get on.

Hughes in the at least to start with works for me. When you hear about how the impact of tackles in Super League is similar to a car crash it puts in to perspective why young forwards can struggle when first coming in. Let him get some regular game time at , then perhaps move him to 2nd row, unless he really impresses out wide.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51052_1304440802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51052.jpg

Quote: TaxingChimp "Young squad, looks good enough to belt most of the teams in the league to me as well as challenge wire & leeds for trophies. Think there's some overreaction here to not seeing any "big signings" when we don't really know how a lot of the new signings & youngsters will get on.

Hughes in the Centre at least to start with works for me. When you hear about how the impact of tackles in Super League is similar to a car crash it puts in to perspective why young forwards can struggle when first coming in. Let him get some regular game time at Centre, then perhaps move him to 2nd row, unless he really impresses out wide
.'"

but if gets skinned every week by more agile centres does that make it ok as he isnt getting hurt at centre...its crazy. We have 2 more natural centres who we are paying money for yet we are playing a second rower at centre. (providing he does)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3019
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22059_1287313089.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22059.gif

Some odd choices from Mr Wane, he wants rid of Hock because of his stupidity but loves Mickey M who is equally as stupid, the favourites problem seems to be resurfacing ala Mr Noble.

Lauaki No 8 d040.gif Average front rower at best..

Must admit i'm concerned, long term we look good if we can keep hold of the player we produce (which i doubt)

Hoping for at least one decent signing but it's still a big step down in class team wise from the past few seasons..

RankPostsTeam
International Star203No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pieman "but if gets skinned every week by more agile centres does that make it ok as he isnt getting hurt at centre...its crazy. We have 2 more natural centres who we are paying money for yet we are playing a second rower at centre. (providing he does)'"

I don't think he played that badly at all when he did slip in there last year tbh. Apparently Marsh got the better of him in a generally poor team performance (can't really comment, wasn't there) and Lulia gave him a lot of trouble in the league game at our place, which isn't too shameful. On the flipside I remember him collaring Hardaker and bundling him in to touch against Leeds to top off a fine first game at . The kids just need game time.

Maybe they're going to work at it in the off season and see how he goes? Maybe he's impressed Wane more than Gelling & Thornley in that position already.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hock at 14? Albeit he's a liability, but he's still one of the best second rowers in the competition. Odd, odd decision (if he is to stay with Wigan).

67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3896484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
1m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
4m