Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7333_1285599926.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7333.png

Amos was also out for an extended period which COULD have been a massive loss. The form he was in made him a very clear favourite for man of steel after the first few months of the season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9022No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2010Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26076_1286623377.jpg
[color=#000000:1qsyq8gi]Wigan Warriors 2010:[/color:1qsyq8gi] [color=red:1qsyq8gi]Super League Champions League Leaders Under 20's Champions Club of The Year Floodlit 9's Winners Pat Richards: Man Of Steel Sam Tomkins: Young Player of the Year Michael Maguire: Coach of the Year[/color:1qsyq8gi] [quote="Wire_91":1qsyq8gi]its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are[/quote:1qsyq8gi]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26076.jpg

Quote: Saint Simon "shame the kicking department will be playing for salford next year!'"

Even if you just had kyle eastmond in the middle of the field proppped up by a few crutches with a sling flicking his floppy broken leg back and forth to kick the ball you would have a better kicking game than ours.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tartan Saint "Of course they make a massive difference, both in terms of one off big games and in terms of consistency over the course of the season. Do Leon Pryce and Kyle Eastmond not count because they played when you nicked a win at Saints earlier this season ? Of course they do, its a bit of a strange point to make. Furthermore, with the amount of field position Leeds had against Wigan last week, had McGuire played the result could very well have been different. I have already stated that it matters not anyhow as we are at Old Trafford again despite missing countless players.

With regards to your final point, I have no issue with Wigan being back. In fact I am quite pleased by it. Its about time we had a derby in the big final again anyway.'"

Why are you ignoring the point I made ... namely that in the two convincing league victories we had over Leeds, McGuire was playing in the first and McGuire and Peacock were both playing in the second? It seems to me that you only want to talk about the last match because that's the one in which they weren't playing.

Also ... I didn't say that Eastmond and Pryce don't count. I was talking about Leeds, not Saints. The only reference I made to Eastmond in this thread was that maybe you lot had better get used to being without him, as we have had to get used to being without Roberts, because neither Eastmond or Roberts ever seem to be available.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13058.jpg
:13058.jpg

Field position and kicking will be key. Wigan need to starve Saints of the ball, especially when Cunningham is on. Deacon needs to use his head, kick early to Meli, turn their big lads around, while they are still getting onside, Foster/Gidley/Wellens etc will have taken another scoot or two. It's too late in the set for Graham and the big lads to get a roll on and Cunningham to take them down field. I fancy Wigan to win it, just because of the difference in the halves and backs.

It'll be a very interesting game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47460_1356600399.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47460.jpg

Richards > Foster

There's the answer.

RankPostsTeam
International Star50No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2010Oct 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "Why are you ignoring the point I made ... namely that in the two convincing league victories we had over Leeds, McGuire was playing in the first and McGuire and Peacock were both playing in the second? It seems to me that you only want to talk about the last match because that's the one in which they weren't playing. '"

Because your point is a nonsense. You seem to be saying that because you have beaten Leeds in a domestic league game without these players, that therefore McGuire and Peacock would make little impact in a major knock out game ? I seriously dont see what you are trying to suggest. Leeds have proven themselves as the best on the big occasion for the past few years and in particular both McGuire and Peacock. Peacock is a huge metre maker and McGuire a big scorer and assists in many as well. Your point does not stand up. Simply because they played when Wigan beat Leeds in a meaningless league game does not mean that they are both not massive parts of Leeds ability to win the big game and that their losses did not impact on their ability to get consistent results.

Quote: Cruncher "Also ... I didn't say that Eastmond and Pryce don't count. I was talking about Leeds, not Saints. The only reference I made to Eastmond in this thread was that maybe you lot had better get used to being without him, as we have had to get used to being without Roberts, because neither Eastmond or Roberts ever seem to be available.'"

The whole point I made was that Wigan have topped the table in massive part because Leeds and St Helens have had big disruptions with injuries this season. Since Saints finished closest to Wigan I would suggest that discussing the injuries Saints have suffered is an enormous part of that point. .

With regards to Eastmond Im actually inclined to agree. He is a player who you invariably hold your breath whenever he goes into contact.

RankPostsTeam
International Star19No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2010Sep 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "How would you go about beating Saints if you were coach?

What are their strengths to watch out for and weaknesses to take advantage of?

For me they are pi55 poor in the backs, all their tries are either from forwards barging over the line from a few yards out or switches or inside balls to Wellens and Roby. We need to be on the ball in the middle of the park in defence becasue Puletua and Graham are both good ball players.

I think if we concentrate our attack to Foster/Eastmond/Smith and kick it to Meli/Foster I think we will get mistakes from them, for me Sam has to do the majority of the kicking or let Deacon do it, Leuluai is nowhere near good enough at kicking and in a GF we need to have a good kicking game.

When defending the markers will need to work overtime stopping Cunningham from running those 3/4 yards out of dummy half before he passes it stopping their momentum and when on our line our markers need to be ready for KFC barging over the line, same with Roby.'"

no point trying, you won't win

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tartan Saint "Because your point is a nonsense. You seem to be saying that because you have beaten Leeds in a domestic league game without these players, that therefore McGuire and Peacock would make little impact in a major knock out game ? I seriously dont see what you are trying to suggest. Leeds have proven themselves as the best on the big occasion for the past few years and in particular both McGuire and Peacock. Peacock is a huge metre maker and McGuire a big scorer and assists in many as well. Your point does not stand up. Simply because they played when Wigan beat Leeds in a meaningless league game does not mean that they are both not massive parts of Leeds ability to win the big game and that their losses did not impact on their ability to get consistent results.
'"

I see. So the Wigan/Leeds matches that Wigan won were 'meaningless' (even though they were league games staged when both sides still had it all to play for)? In other words, they were non-competitive and Leeds weren't trying very hard, despite them having their best players on the field? And this is the explanation why Wigan won? And why, if these guys had been playing in the knock-out game, Leeds would have won.

And that's the evidence with which you back up your assertion?

Do guys like you ever stop to wonder what you actually sound like?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

The Saints pack looks stronger than Wigan's IMO, with Soliola/Wilkin/Emmitt added to the pack that has contested the other 2 games this season. Wilkin and Soliola offer us a lot in defence.

Lack of a running game in the halves might cost us IMO - I'm hoping Lomax lines up at 6.

RankPostsTeam
International Star50No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2010Oct 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "I see. So the Wigan/Leeds matches that Wigan won were 'meaningless' (even though they were league games staged when both sides still had it all to play for)? In other words, they were non-competitive and Leeds weren't trying very hard, despite them having their best players on the field? And this is the explanation why Wigan won? And why, if these guys had been playing in the knock-out game, Leeds would have won.'"

I love the damsel in distress routine. You have now completely changed your argument as you simply have nothing to back it up with. When I state 'meaningless' it needs to be placed in context. Yes it is for the 2 points in the league but I think we all know that in knock out games, the best sides do raise their game, Leeds in particular. I never once stated they were 'non-competitive' and nor that Leeds would have won the knock out game either. My point is a very valid one and any sensible individual can see that. Leeds raise for big games and McGuire and Peacock are both huge parts of that. No way would they have [idefinitely[/i beaten Wigan with those two but they would certainly have stood a better chance.

Quote: Cruncher "And that's the evidence with which you back up your assertion? Do guys like you ever stop to wonder what you actually sound like?'"

Evidence to back up what assertion, that Leeds would have had a better chance of defeating Wigan had McGuire and Peacock not been injured. Honestly here Cruncher, I'd say that its pretty much common sense. I have watched Saints beat Leeds consistently in the league rounds and in qualifying Play Offs and I have then watched the same Leeds side beat us when it counts. Its pretty straight forward and I fail to see why you wish to make a big issue out of it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2513No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50582_1268771718.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50582.jpg

Quote: Tartan Saint "I love the damsel in distress routine. You have now completely changed your argument as you simply have nothing to back it up with. When I state 'meaningless' it needs to be placed in context. Yes it is for the 2 points in the league but I think we all know that in knock out games, the best sides do raise their game, Leeds in particular. I never once stated they were 'non-competitive' and nor that Leeds would have won the knock out game either. My point is a very valid one and any sensible individual can see that. Leeds raise for big games and McGuire and Peacock are both huge parts of that. No way would they have [idefinitely[/i beaten Wigan with those two but they would certainly have stood a better chance.

Evidence to back up what assertion, that Leeds would have had a better chance of defeating Wigan had McGuire and Peacock not been injured. Honestly here Cruncher, I'd say that its pretty much common sense. I have watched Saints beat Leeds consistently in the league rounds and in qualifying Play Offs and I have then watched the same Leeds side beat us when it counts. Its pretty straight forward and I fail to see why you wish to make a big issue out of it.'"

Amos Roberts was the best player in the league before he got injured, if we had him playing at full fitness we could of won by more. Its all hypothetical though just like your point. We beat Leeds when it mattered and now we are in the final. You can say all the ifs and buts in the world but when it comes down to it its the result matters and nothing else.

RankPostsTeam
International Star366No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Headingley Rhino"]Great win yesterday at our place, there is no denying you are probably the best team in SL as you have proved it all year so I think it's justice done that you have got to Old Trafford. I thought wigan was excellent in the second half and showed why you guys are top dogs this year.:

Quote: Tartan Saint "I love the damsel in distress routine. You have now completely changed your argument as you simply have nothing to back it up with. When I state 'meaningless' it needs to be placed in context. Yes it is for the 2 points in the league but I think we all know that in knock out games, the best sides do raise their game, Leeds in particular. I never once stated they were 'non-competitive' and nor that Leeds would have won the knock out game either. My point is a very valid one and any sensible individual can see that. Leeds raise for big games and McGuire and Peacock are both huge parts of that. No way would they have [idefinitely[/i beaten Wigan with those two but they would certainly have stood a better chance.

Evidence to back up what assertion, that Leeds would have had a better chance of defeating Wigan had McGuire and Peacock not been injured. Honestly here Cruncher, I'd say that its pretty much common sense. I have watched Saints beat Leeds consistently in the league rounds and in qualifying Play Offs and I have then watched the same Leeds side beat us when it counts. Its pretty straight forward and I fail to see why you wish to make a big issue out of it.'"

thing is you can only beat whats in front of you
whos to say if peacock and mcguir had been playin our lads wouldnt of picked it up even more you cant just guess possible outcomes
as first said you can only beat whats in front of you

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tartan Saint "I love the damsel in distress routine. .'"

Can't you do better than that?

Presumably this is supposed to provoke me in some way. Not quite sure how or why, but similar silliness from Leeds fans didn't work last week, and it won't from you this week.

Quote: Tartan Saint "
You have now completely changed your argument as you simply have nothing to back it up with. When I state 'meaningless' it needs to be placed in context. Yes it is for the 2 points in the league but I think we all know that in knock out games, the best sides do raise their game, Leeds in particular. I never once stated they were 'non-competitive' and nor that Leeds would have won the knock out game either. My point is a very valid one and any sensible individual can see that. Leeds raise for big games and McGuire and Peacock are both huge parts of that. No way would they have [idefinitely[/i beaten Wigan with those two but they would certainly have stood a better chance.

Spin it any way you want. The fact remains that you dismissed Wigan's two league victories over Leeds as meaningless, preferrring to talk about the play-off victory, because that's the oen in which McGuire and Peacock were not playing. In other words, that's the one thats suits your argument.

And common sense, or not, you haven't got a crystal ball, mate ... so you don't know whether it would have made any difference if McGuire and Peacock were playing, any more than you know whether it would have made any difference had we fielded Amos Roberts in the sort of form he showed early season. It's all a bit pointless.

But hey ... just so that I can't be accused of making a big deal out of it, I'll let it drop there. I've made my point, and you've made yours. I'm right, and I'm content with that knowledge. So the conversation's over.

RankPostsTeam
International Star50No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2010Oct 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "Can't you do better than that?

Presumably this is supposed to provoke me in some way. Not quite sure how or why, but similar silliness from Leeds fans didn't work last week, and it won't from you this week.'"

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You seem to have taken some issue with a point I have made and I have no idea why.

Quote: Cruncher "Spin it any way you want. The fact remains that you dismissed Wigan's two league victories over Leeds as meaningless, preferrring to talk about the play-off victory, because that's the oen in which McGuire and Peacock were not playing. In other words, that's the one thats suits your argument.

And common sense, or not, you haven't got a crystal ball, mate ... so you don't know whether it would have made any difference if McGuire and Peacock were playing, any more than you know whether it would have made any difference had we fielded Amos Roberts in the sort of form he showed early season. It's all a bit pointless.

But hey ... just so that I can't be accused of making a big deal out of it, I'll let it drop there. I've made my point, and you've made yours. I'm right, and I'm content with that knowledge. So the conversation's over.'"

I have spoken very little about the Play Off game between Leeds and Wigan. I have also clearly stated that had McGuire and Peacock played then that in no way would have guaranteed a Leeds victory. I also find it absurdly arrogant and rude of you to state that your opinion is 'right'. Opinions are precisely as they are, opinions. Why you seem to have taken an issue with a simple point on a website is anybodies guess. I agree that this conversation is going nowhere and frankly I would rather not debate with such immaturity so I will no longer respond.

Good luck for Saturday.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: post "How would you go about beating Saints if you were coach?

What are their strengths to watch out for and weaknesses to take advantage of?

For me they are pi55 poor in the backs, all their tries are either from forwards barging over the line from a few yards out or switches or inside balls to Wellens and Roby. We need to be on the ball in the middle of the park in defence becasue Puletua and Graham are both good ball players.

I think if we concentrate our attack to Foster/Eastmond/Smith and kick it to Meli/Foster I think we will get mistakes from them, for me Sam has to do the majority of the kicking or let Deacon do it, Leuluai is nowhere near good enough at kicking and in a GF we need to have a good kicking game.

When defending the markers will need to work overtime stopping Cunningham from running those 3/4 yards out of dummy half before he passes it stopping their momentum and when on our line our markers need to be ready for KFC barging over the line, same with Roby.'"

Do you not think having both our halfbacks out for most of the last 6 weeks has anything to do with us only scoring a yard out?

We are missing our halfbacks which means we just grind out wins and have to take our chances when we get on your try line, it's a case of win by playing to our strngth.

If i was to coach against saints, i'd kick and pin us down in our own half as we ain't got the players to score from in our half. I'd tell my players not give any pens away so we can't piggy back down the field from cheap pens.

Also, you have to target meli. If he's on the wing kick to him, if he's in the centre then attack his side.

Watch roby running from acting half.

In the main i think if you kick and pin us in our own half, you will win pretty easy imo.

82 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
82 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.19091796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM