JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm really biased towards Ian Lenagan. I think he's the best thing to happen to Wigan for a very long time. His predecessors Whelan & Robinson were dreadful for many and various reasons. IL is getting things right.

He's virtually had to build the club from bottom up with not very much money. We didn't even make the £4m minimum franchise level.
He has to start a retail set up now we have the merchandising.
The marketing, already good, is getting better with Mick H on board.
IL's own personal bias towards local produced players and him taking on additional training and fitness staff is what we have all wanted for years.
The accelerate squad is a great innovation and will be worth it's weight when those players develop fully.
As far as recruitment goes he brought in a fair number of players bearing in mind none of the high earners have been off contract in the 17 months he's owned the club. He can't spend money we haven't got.
With all that he's had to do it would have been impossible not to have made mistakes. He should have brought in at least one prop but he never saw it that way from the start.
At his first F Forum IL said "Why do we need props we have eight".
I looked at a fellow fan that I know and we just said almost together, "were ducked, well and truly ducked if he's not bring in any props" or something similar.
That, IMO a mistake, doesn't detract from the great job IL has done since buying the club. I think overall he's getting it right and will bring us back to winning trophies. Also in the not too distant future.
Easy to pin point mistakes but not easy to achieve all that IL has!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3781No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="kimmo":19twb50c]your 6 7 and 9 this year will kill you off you will not make the play offs ,keep this post untill the end of the year and then we will come back to it and the best man wins ,deal or no deal .[/quote:19twb50c]:

Signing Roberts was a big mistake IMO and the terms he has signed for us on are dreadful (4 years)

Just not a necessary signing when we had plenty of players who could cover the position and potential brilliance in the reserves (Ainscough) waiting to come in.

AJ
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1530.gif
:1530.gif

Quote: - Neil - "Signing Roberts was a big mistake IMO and the terms he has signed for us on are dreadful (4 years)

Just not a necessary signing when we had plenty of players who could cover the position and potential brilliance in the reserves (Ainscough) waiting to come in.'"

Roberts does seem a bad signing and to a lesser extent Riddell. When Tommy & Ainscough seem able to play those positions perfectly well, but, we cant do anything about that now, which means wherever possible we have to be ruthless and facilitate the release/transfer of players where possible to develop the squad.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "I'm really biased towards Ian Lenagan. I think he's the best thing to happen to Wigan for a very long time. His predecessors Whelan & Robinson were dreadful for many and various reasons. IL is getting things right.

He's virtually had to build the club from bottom up with not very much money. We didn't even make the £4m minimum franchise level.
IL's own personal bias towards local produced players and him taking on additional training and fitness staff is what we have all wanted for years.
The accelerate squad is a great innovation and will be worth it's weight when those players develop fully.
As far as recruitment goes he brought in a fair number of players bearing in mind none of the high earners have been off contract in the 17 months he's owned the club. He can't spend money we haven't got.
With all that he's had to do it would have been impossible not to have made mistakes. He should have brought in at least one prop but he never saw it that way from the start.
I looked at a fellow fan that I know and we just said almost together, "were ducked, well and truly ducked if he's not bring in any props" or something similar.
That, IMO a mistake, doesn't detract from the great job IL has done since buying the club. I think overall he's getting it right and will bring us back to winning trophies. Also in the not too distant future.
Easy to pin point mistakes but not easy to achieve all that IL has!'"

One of my major issues with the team at the moment is that they just don't look to have the fitness or power to compete for the full 80 mins against top sides - do you think we have the right people/systems in place now and is it just a matter of time before we see a rise in standards of conditioning?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Deano G "One of my major issues with the team at the moment is that they just don't look to have the fitness or power to compete for the full 80 mins against top sides - do you think we have the right people/systems in place now and is it just a matter of time before we see a rise in standards of conditioning?'"

Again, im not sure how much of this is IL's fault. He isnt a proffessional in this area, so im assuming (and you know what they say about assupmtions), that his wasnt the final decision as to who they employed in this role, i would guess that forshaw had the final say in this as he is the top man at the club with regards to this.

However i do agree that we a lacking in conditioning, and is a point i raised last year at about the same time. We just dont seem to hit the ground running with regards to our conditioning, or our overall performance as a team.

Out of all the teams who are in the league from last year, we are the only ones i have seen aside from bradford (who have injury problems) who are worse than last year!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Father Ted "I'm really biased towards Ian Lenagan. I think he's the best thing to happen to Wigan for a very long time. His predecessors Whelan & Robinson were dreadful for many and various reasons. IL is getting things right.

Easy to pin point mistakes but not easy to achieve all that IL has!'"

I would agree to that. I voted for the pack weaknes simply because it's a fact that a) it's weak and b) IL could have done something about it. However I wouldn't like this thread to become a 'criticism thread' as I feel he has done an excellent job so far, pretty much with one hand tied behind his back on most issues. Most of the criticisms have mitigating factors attached so to take them in isolation is probably not the correct way to view them. If the poll were 'are you overall happy with IL's performance to date and confident he is taking the club in the right direction' then I would have say, so far yes.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

I voted for extending Nobles contract by 12 months.

So much that is wrong with the current Wigan side comes back to some bad decisions made by Noble who clearly doesnt not know how to build a side.

Mistakes that Nobles made last season have been followed by more errors this season ranging from poor signings to poor tactical decisions.

All of this has been suppoted by IL and you do wonder what Nobles has to do to get the sack, perhaps we just dont want to pay him off.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: AJ "Roberts does seem a bad signing and to a lesser extent Riddell. When Tommy & Ainscough seem able to play those positions perfectly well, but, we cant do anything about that now, which means wherever possible we have to be ruthless and facilitate the release/transfer of players where possible to develop the squad.'"

I think you're viewing this with a touch of hindsight, especially in regard to Riddell.

Riddell would have been signed before the season ended, how many were calling for Leuluai to be moved to hooker at that time? I do realise some thought he may have had the qualities to play there (as I've said before I'm not sure he'll be that good), but until NZ moved him there during the WC ,don't forget he started that tournament as SH, the idea wasn't the shoe in it appears to be now.

The signing of Roberts doesn't surprise me (bar the length of his contract) either really, he's better than Phelps and Pryce, and what if Ainscough had sunk rather than swam, which was possible? The resigning of Mathers was the deal that surprised me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "I think you're viewing this with a touch of hindsight, especially in regard to Riddell.

Riddell would have been signed before the season ended, how many were calling for Leuluai to be moved to hooker at that time? I do realise some thought he may have had the qualities to play there (as I've said before I'm not sure he'll be that good), but until NZ moved him there during the WC ,don't forget he started that tournament as SH, the idea wasn't the shoe in it appears to be now.

The signing of Roberts doesn't surprise me (bar the length of his contract) either really, he's better than Phelps and Pryce, and what if Ainscough had sunk rather than swam, which was possible? The resigning of Mathers was the deal that surprised me.'"

Your not a million miles off!

Tommy was played as 2nd 9 for last 3rd of last season and Riddell ad been signed already by then, Plus Tommy has mainly been going into 9 25 mins or so into the game, would he have the saem impact from the start?

I don't understand were all this criticism of Roberts comes from, yes he did look a little off the pace 1st 4/5 games but his last 4/5 he's looked sharp (Ok he's not coming in off the Wing to Acting HB and doing a Vainakolo but how many can!) and IMO I think in Gleeson/Roberts we will have a Great Centre/Wing Partnership for the next 3 1/2 years!

The AMthers thing was a strange one I agree but IMO it's the Smith one that has puzzled me!
I can't see a 6/7 in Tommy & Timmy (Not enough Pace or size) and told IL the same, I'm sure with the Mathers/Smith Money and the extra quota spot that would have left us we could ahve looked anywhere for a 6 and got him!

I know were a prop short as well (A Good Prop BTW as we have enough, we just don't have the right one!) but to be IMHO only 2/3 players short of being a VERY Good team after only 18 months in charge I don't think is too bad.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach46No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm not in favour of owners/management trying to be friends with fans, keeping them upto date with every development at the club, they should be confident in their own leadership and be judged on that performance.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "
The AMthers thing was a strange one I agree but IMO it's the Smith one that has puzzled me!
I can't see a 6/7 in Tommy & Timmy (Not enough Pace or size) and told IL the same, I'm sure with the Mathers/Smith Money and the extra quota spot that would have left us we could ahve looked anywhere for a 6 and got him!'"

Again that depends on who was available, though I do agree with you on the partnership not looking good, there aren't a great deal of quality 6's around. In that respect I think that we are lucky at Saints to have a decent SO currently (I know that may spark some debate, but Pryce has been consistently the most effective SO in SL for the last 3 years, Barrett only stepped up to the plate for you in the play offs IMO), with the possiblility of Wheeler also stepping up into the first team.

Quote: Jukesays "I know were a prop short as well (A Good Prop BTW as we have enough, we just don't have the right one!) but to be IMHO only 2/3 players short of being a VERY Good team after only 18 months in charge I don't think is too bad.'"

Now, now, don't start getting [itoo[/i excitable icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

Quote: GTP88 "I'm not in favour of owners/management trying to be friends with fans, keeping them upto date with every development at the club, they should be confident in their own leadership and be judged on that performance.'"

And they always will be judged on their performance, nothing will change that.

Excuses eventually run out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GTP88 "I'm not in favour of owners/management trying to be friends with fans, keeping them upto date with every development at the club, they should be confident in their own leadership and be judged on that performance.'"

But there are plenty of people who are.

For what it's worth, IL also gets slagged off in some quarters for not keeping the fans informed enough.

How anyone can ever get the vote of approval at Wigan is beyond me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I like roberts, don't really understand why he's been criticised after his last 3/4 games. Yes, he was off the pace the first few, but he hadn't had a preseason due to injury, and was coming straight into the team [with bailey as his centre].

How many tries have been scored down that side with gleeson there? how many chances has roberts not put away? He has also had a couple of broken field runs where he has made 50m and given us territory and momentum.

Even though i will get laughed at, I would put him in ahead of Richards at the minute, and i love richards [in a totally manly way of course], even if you include the goal kicking at the minute.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach36No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Mar 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45169.gif
Born Irish - Wigan RL - By the grace of God:45169.gif

I think imo and also by listening to fans around me its plain to see. were playing behind a beaten pack every week.therefore always putting to much pressure on the rest of the team to keep pulling us out of the s**t. the prioritys got to be two new no nonsense props.unfortunatly that aint guna happen this year.so we've just gotta put up with it till. roll on 2010.

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.6884765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
10m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
12m
Film game
Wanderer
17m
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
26m
bulls on Sunday
Bully_Boxer
31m
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Bully_Boxer
47m
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
Recent
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
14s
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
15s
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
15s
Round 26 Wigan Away
tad rhino
17s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Sir Gregory
18s
Bully_Boxer
29s
Film game
Wanderer
32s
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
35s
Rumours thread
jonh
37s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
RockNRolla
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
FOREVERTRIN
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
Seth
TODAY
Squad for London
karetaker
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Halifax A
Wigan Bull
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
TODAY
IMG
Crosswire
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
faxcar
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
the cal trai
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
ducknumber1
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,415 80,12114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20