FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Shaun Wane to stay where he is.....(for now)!
93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "Shaun Wane will appeal to the NZW due to him getting Wigan to the top of the league and keeping them there. He has lost senior players, replaced them and still Wigan are top of the League.
His pack is now very big and will get bigger when A Powell joins the club. They are also aggressive without being illdisciplined yet skillful. Wigan has a good youth structure yet is nothing compared to number of players available in NZ.
It won't have gone un noticed either that his team are playing very fast, skillfull, entertaining and best of all winning Rugby.'"

They may have noticed all that (apart from being top of the league which they won't care about) but to give him a head coaches role on the back of 18 months as a first grade coach here would be a shock. What they will also have noticed is we didn't win anything of note last year losing two games in the CC and play-offs where arguably his selections were a big factor.

He is an unproven coach and while we are top of the league what will show us how good he is (and how good our team is) is what happens in this next half of the season. While as Cruncher says he can only play what is in front of him its still a fact most of it is rubbish and that can't be lost on the NZ'ers either.

Quote: Father Ted "After SW's comments about having the desire to coach in the NRL I'm sure a guy as smart as Shaun won't have come out with all that if it wasn't already a done deal. NZW are joint bottom of the NRL and the chances of Elliot being there next years are probably minus zero.
If he goes good luck and good fortune to him.'"

As I said it would be a shock for such an inexperienced coach to get a head coaches job in the NRL but if he does go then even if he picks a trophy up this year he won't have proved himself as a great Wigan coach like Monie and I always thought he wanted to do that. To bail out so soon would seem very strange.

Maybe IL has already told him he's off!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

I can't believe that this is a thread at all.

Shaun Wane is Wigan through and through and will not be going anywhere unless pushed. He has confounded his critics this season and is producing a side that has played superb rugby. Finch, Lulu, Lima, George and Hock have NOT been missed at all. He has conjured up a developing half back combination that whilst not exactly Gregory and Edwards is functioning pretty well. Faz has become a world class performer and Thornley is looking better every game. The young forwards have confounded everyone's expectations. I'm so impressed with Scott Taylor and Ben Flower and on Sunday he could even afford to spell Gil Dudson who has been exceptional. Added to that is my vote for young player of the year Greg Burke, who is a future GB captain never mind Wigan.

We may not even win anything this year, although I believe that Leeds and Warrington are weaker than last year. I think Huddersfield have a formidable pack and probably the best kicking half back in Super League at the moment and could be our strongest challengers. Shaun is building a dynasty at Wigan that will last for a long time.

No more talk of the NRL. He is here to stay for a good few years yet. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: DaveO "They may have noticed all that (apart from being top of the league which they won't care about) but to give him a head coaches role on the back of 18 months as a first grade coach here would be a shock. What they will also have noticed is we didn't win anything of note last year losing two games in the CC and play-offs where arguably his selections were a big factor.

Since when was being top of the league nothing to care about?

Other sports fans in this country can't understand how you can become Super League champions without actually winning the league. Surely the best team is the team that beat all the others over a season having played everyone home and away. The play offs are quite simply a lottery. The best team has already been decided, but Sky need to have a Grand Final to finish the season in style to justify the money they spend on the game. This is proved by the fifth best team winning the thing. Last two years Wigan and Warrington have been the best two teams in Super League, and anyone who watches the sport with any degree of understanding would recognise that. If the team in eighth place won it this year would you happily call them champions? How could any team be champions having lost more games than they won?

Anyone who argues that Leeds planned the season to come fifth is clearly barking. Rugby League players try their hardest in every game. Name one game in which Leeds weren't trying last season. They came fifth because there were 4 better teams. In the land of super League Alex Ferguson would have won bugger all "13 championships that's rubbish - how many times did you win the FA Cup?"

We lost the semi at Huddersfield because Sam had a mare in the first half and then the ref gave them two tries which weren't and in the play off we lost by ONE point having played the whole game without a hooker and without our best attacker. How is any of that Shaun Wane's fault?

This mean spirited attitude that gives the man no credit for topping the table yet is happy to criticise him for losing a one-off game based on all sorts of variables does you no credit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15218No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "

You're missing the point. This latest idea - that whatever Shaun Wane wins, he'll still be crap, because the rest of the league is crapper still - is the final blow in the war to oust him.

This 'logic' appears to have evolved since we started 2013 massively weaker in terms of personnel and yet Wane's team continued to deliver exceptional performances, thus bemusing and marginalising the skeptics even more. But there is no real answer to this latest charge, because even if he wins both trophies, they can still say that he did it by default.

I don't think anyone would argue that we need a better competition in SL, but the league was equally weak when Michael Maguire was Wigan coach, yet we never hear it said that he achieved what he achieved because there was no opposition. It's really a spurious and loaded argument.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "
I think you're exaggerating here. A war to oust him? Really? There does seem to be plenty who can't face the fact that he is currently exceeding our expectations (yours included, I suspect) but I don't see any "Wane out" campaign in all honesty.

Personally, I was troubled when Madge left because I couldn't see how we couldn't give SW his deserved shot. To me, he has proved himself certainly capable of leading this club and has allayed my fears. This young team might well run out of steam this season but they are proving me wrong so far and long may it continue. If they do blow up we will still be better set for the future than any other SL club and that is down to SW and IL. It's not necessary to agree with them 100% to acknowledge that overall they do a good job.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15218No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jinkin jimmy "

Okay, I'll accept the reprimand.

Perhaps I should just hang fire on this debate until the end of the season. If we've won nothing by then, I too will feel frustrated by Wane. On the other hand, if we've won the Challenge Cup and/or the Grand Final, then it's the Wane skeptics who'll look pretty foolish.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

And/Or the League

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15218No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "

I think the skeptics would still be unhappy with Wane to be honest, though winning the LLS two years on the trot would be quite an achievement for most fans of professional sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Fans of any football/cricket team would be laughing themselves silly at some of the posts on here. You only have to read the Leeds boards to know what they think of Brian McDermott over the last two seasons. Of course it all went well for them in the end but deep down they know that Wigan and Warrington are /were better teams.

For anyone who really thinks finishing fifth and winning the GF is a better team than that which finished top of the league and losing in a cup semi ~ well, that way lies insanity.

All this nonsense about peaking at the end of the season is what Brian Noble used to argue, and look what everyone on here thought of him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15443
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "For anyone who really thinks finishing fifth and winning the GF is a better team than that which finished top of the league and losing in a cup semi ~ well, that way lies insanity.'"

Conveniently ignoring that they beat Catalans (4th), us (1st) and Warrington (2nd) in consecutive weeks in knock out games. IMO Leeds would have won last year under any play off system, and I think a champion team should be the one that beats the best in all or nothing games, not the one that is best at beating poor opposition week after week.

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "All this nonsense about peaking at the end of the season is what Brian Noble used to argue, and look what everyone on here thought of him.'"

It makes absolute sense under this system. The problem is Noble's teams didn't manage to peak at the end of the season like Leeds do, they got beat in the semis. Having said that I think of Noble very highly, he took us from being nailed-on for relegation halfway through '06 to semi finals in '07-'09. We were only 4 points off the final too in the latter two seasons. Do others really have such a poor view of him?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "Conveniently ignoring that they beat Catalans (4th), us (1st) and Warrington (2nd) in consecutive weeks in knock out games. IMO Leeds would have won last year under any play off system, and I think a champion team should be the one that beats the best in all or nothing games, not the one that is best at beating poor opposition week after week.

It makes absolute sense under this system. The problem is Noble's teams didn't manage to peak at the end of the season like Leeds do, they got beat in the semis. Having said that I think of Noble very highly, he took us from being nailed-on for relegation halfway through '06 to semi finals in '07-'09. We were only 4 points off the final too in the latter two seasons. Do others really have such a poor view of him?'"

And aren't you conveniently forgetting that whilst Leeds had a warm up game at home to wakey Catalan had all the fight smashed out of them at the DW. Just reward for being a better league team than Leeds?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15443
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: jinkin jimmy "And aren't you conveniently forgetting that whilst Leeds had a warm up game at home to wakey Catalan had all the fight smashed out of them at the DW. Just reward for being a better league team than Leeds?'"

Swings and roundabouts. We easily mauled Les Cats at home, had a week off, then still got beat by Leeds who had beat Wakey then won a real tough close game away at Les Cats back to back in the same time. The only way Leeds wouldn't have won the league last year is if there were no form of play offs at all. They won the big knock out games against the top teams three weeks in a row, which is what it would always come down to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star862No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "It makes absolute sense under this system. The problem is Noble's teams didn't manage to peak at the end of the season like Leeds do, they got beat in the semis. Having said that I think of Noble very highly, he took us from being nailed-on for relegation halfway through '06 to semi finals in '07-'09. We were only 4 points off the final too in the latter two seasons. Do others really have such a poor view of him?'"

I seem to remember that in all of the Noble years (excluding 06) Wigan completed the season in a lack luster position and peaked to get to a point well above were the league position would have had Wigan. The fact that the team simply didn't have the ability to keep the peak against better sides going doesn't remove the fact that the team peaked and punched above it's weight.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1755
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38511.jpg
[b:3v5chy3z]Brian McDermott paraphrased Peter Fox. "He'd say if we had 13 Bernard Dwyers we wouldn't lose many RL games. It's the same for us with JJB"[/b:3v5chy3z]:38511.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Conveniently ignoring that they beat Catalans (4th), us (1st) and Warrington (2nd) in consecutive weeks in knock out games. IMO Leeds would have won last year under any play off system, and I think a champion team should be the one that beats the best in all or nothing games, not the one that is best at beating poor opposition week after week.'"

correct sir eusa_clap.gif
us rhinos fans can't wait for the next side to win a gf from 5th although i personally don't believe it will ever happen again nor will winning 3 gf's in a row....unless we do it again this season

RankPostsTeam
International Star186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:2xpsdjab][u:2xpsdjab]Wigan Warriors[/u:2xpsdjab][/b:2xpsdjab] [u:2xpsdjab]Challenge Cup Winners 2011, 2013[/u:2xpsdjab] [u:2xpsdjab]Super League Champions 2010, 2013[/u:2xpsdjab]:

Just posted this on the signings page but a mate of mine has just spoke to Waney after the game today, apparently hes said he is off to New Zealand Warriors at the end of the season.

93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.90673828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Max
LyndsayGill
34m
Squad 2024
Bully_Boxer
38m
TV Games - Not Hull
number 6
48m
Rumours thread
FOREVERTRIN
Recent
Weve never had it so good
MjM
Recent
Sky sports
karetaker
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Trueman
B0NES
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
Recent
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Results and Standings
Uncle Rico
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Sheffield Eagles home
Wollo-Wollo-
1m
Wire part 2 of 2
nikos
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
YosemiteSam
1m
Rumours thread
FOREVERTRIN
1m
Weve never had it so good
MjM
1m
Sky sports
karetaker
1m
Leigh h pt 2
moto748
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
2m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Itchy Arsena
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Sky Sports Plus shambles
Rhino at wor
TODAY
Catalans Squeeze Past The Giants And A Step Closer To The Play Offs
RLFANS News
TODAY
Wire
the-bearded-
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Hull Fc
Septimius Se
TODAY
Cumbrian RL
Keith Lard's
TODAY
Whitehaven H
Bullseye
TODAY
Squad for London
Alffi_7
TODAY
Saints Win Golden Point Thriller with Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Brisbane Broco signs for next season
Huddersfield
TODAY
Round 21 Wigan Home
FlyingScotty
TODAY
Leeds a
Simba16
TODAY
On to Barrow home
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sky sports
karetaker
TODAY
Matty Ashurst testimonial cricket match this Sunday
Trin e ti
TODAY
First Half Wigan Blitz Overcomes the Leigh Leopards
RLFANS News
TODAY
Sheffield Eagles home
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Etan Natoli to leave Broncos at seasons end
Benny Profan
TODAY
The Black and Whites have been loaned Wigan prop for the res
Huddersfield
TODAY
Belle Vue attendances
financialtim
TODAY
Lisa Nandy
moto748
TODAY
New Home for Hull FC
His Bobness
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Catalans Squeeze Past The Gian..
Saints Win Golden Point Thrill..
First Half Wigan Blitz Overcom..
London Broncos Victorious Over..
Salford Win the Mid Table Batt..
Saints Back To Winning Ways Wi..
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.62M +13,188 80,09414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R23
 FT
Hover 
Canberra
24-46
Manly
08:30
NQL Cowboys
v
Brisbane
10:35
St.George
v
Canterbury
     Womens Super League 2024-R11
12:00
St.HelensW
v
FeatherstoneW
BarrowW
v
Wire W
       League One 2024-R19
13:00
Cornwall
v
Hunslet
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R21
15:00
Leeds
v
Wigan
       Championship 2024-R21
18:00
Doncaster
v
Toulouse
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R23
05:00
Dolphins
v
NZ Warriors
07:05
Newcastle
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R11
York V
v
Hudds W
       League One 2024-R19
14:00
Midlands
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Keighley
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R21
Leigh
v
Hull FC
LondonB
v
Warrington
       League One 2024-R19
Oldham
v
Newcastle
       Championship 2024-R21
Batley
v
Swinton
Bradford
v
Whitehaven
Halifax
v
Barrow
Widnes
v
Featherstone
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
20:00
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Hull FC
Fri 30th Aug
SL
Hull KR-Salford
SL
Leigh-Warrington
Sat 31st Aug
SL
Hull FC-Castleford
SL
Catalans-Wigan
Sun 1st Sep
SL
Huddersfield-St.Helens
Sat 10th Aug
NRL
LIVE
Canberra24-46Manly
Fri 9th Aug
SL 21 Huddersfield22-23Catalans
SL 21 Hull KR36-6Castleford
WSL2024 11 LeedsW28-8WiganW
CH 21 Wakefield42-6Sheffield
NRL 23 Gold Coast0-44Cronulla
NRL 23 Parramatta34-36Penrith
Thu 8th Aug
SL 21 St.Helens17-16Salford
NRL 23 Souths16-28Melbourne
Tue 6th Aug
SL 2 Wigan28-6Leigh
Sun 4th Aug
SL 20 LondonB12-10Catalans
WSL2024 10 FeatherstoneW6-68LeedsW
WSL2024 10 BarrowW6-64St.HelensW
WSL2024 10 Wire W0-61York V
WSL2024 10 WiganW70-0Hudds W
L1 18 Keighley72-12Newcastle
L1 18 Oldham32-0Midlands
L1 18 Rochdale46-32Cornwall
L1 18 Workington24-28Crusaders
CH 20 Barrow24-24Bradford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 21 539 265 274 32
Wigan 20 523 264 259 32
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
St.Helens 21 518 278 240 26
Catalans 21 399 308 91 26
Salford 21 393 399 -6 26

Leeds 20 371 364 7 20
Leigh 20 398 314 84 19
Huddersfield 21 372 476 -104 14
Castleford 21 342 559 -217 13
Hull FC 20 274 612 -338 6
LondonB 20 210 735 -525 4
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 19 668 228 440 36
Sheffield 19 516 345 171 26
Toulouse 17 516 224 292 25
Widnes 18 434 319 115 23
Bradford 18 421 321 100 22
Featherstone 18 464 375 89 18

Doncaster 18 338 432 -94 17
York 19 446 383 63 16
Batley 18 300 390 -90 16
Halifax 18 356 477 -121 14