JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I think it’s unfair to judge us on the Saints game. They’re clearly the benchmark in the league and took Warrington apart the week before.
I don’t think the coaching let us down as much as lack of quality players. We created opportunities but didn’t take them. The glaring example was when Isa bombed the overlap we created on the right, something he did several times at Castleford too!
Go back a few weeks and we were brilliant in attack and nilled Catalans. We showed glimpses of class against Salford, we were excellent for an hour against Roosters.
I accept we’re nowhere near where we need to be but I don’t put that down to the coaching. I put it down to too many players in the side who are simply not good enough. That coupled with the number of young players being thrown in with little experience around them, being played through necessity rather than choice.
I’ve said all along that I’d like Lam to stay on but I’ve always qualified it by saying with a few players being brought in who he trusts to deliver his style of play. To put our current situation down to him alone is just wrong in my view. He’s trying to coach with his hands tied behind his back.'"

It's not just the Saints game though is it really. So far this season we've literally had one 80min performance all season. The all other games there's been major issues, hence our league position. In spells we've looked promising, but to go from defending champs on an unbeaten run to rock bottom?
I've not seem great attacking flair or anything particularly different from last season, I have however seen us look clueless in pretty much every game for spells and develop paper light defence, which is most alarming considering we were known for strong D under Wane.

I'm not writing Lam off. You make some valid points regarding missing players etc. I hope he can turn it round. But in. all honesty I can't say I've seen enough to want the club to keep Lam on. Not yet at least.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

I think that's fair. We were starting to see the beginning of a proper partnership between Sammut and Williams, but that has been put on hold now like so many others things, The weak D remains a real concern, though; it looks a greater malaise than can be explained just by missing players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I loved Lam as a player, but as a coach I suspect he's bitten off a lot more than he can chew. He may well have come to Wigan thinking he could do 'a Michael Maguire' and make his reputation by turning a team of underachievers into champions in the space of one season.

But as I see it, there are two main problems with that.

1. Michael Maguire clearly inherited a bunch of players who were much better than anyone realised - it was just that Brian Noble wasn't much of a coach. In comparison, Lam's team is woefully short on quality. It's suffered more injuries too, but it contains far too many old soldiers.

2. More importantly, Adrian Lam is clearly not Michael Maguire. Instead of working on the areas where we were weak, he tried to affect a massive change in the team's playing style overnight, and it's just not worked. Yes, we regularly throw the ball wide to the cavalry (and sometimes we score glorious tries from that), but he appears to have almost completely neglected our infanty. Teams now go through our middle as if it's not even there. There's no rocket-science required to understand Wigan's defeats. It's all in the defence, or lack of it. It's also the case that Lammy himself looks nervous and shaky before games, whereas Maguire was ice-cool. That is bound to infect the players, and it's only going to get worse as the losses build up.

I wouldn't deny that we've had a bad run of injuries, but we shouldn't let that disguise the real problem, which is - and I hate saying this - that Adrian Lam is out of his depth. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested that, once we had the Shaun Edwards monkey off our back (he also carries a lot of the blame!), we should offer Lam the job long-term on the condition that he turns it around by mid-season. Well now I'm not sure we can afford to wait that long. In constantly finding reasons why it's not Lammy's fault, I fear that we are wasting valuable time. The relegation clock is ticking.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2973
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If we lose at home to London a week Thursday it's time to panic, until then, deep breaths everyone.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach316No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "I loved Lam as a player, but as a coach I suspect he's bitten off a lot more than he can chew. He may well have come to Wigan thinking he could do 'a Michael Maguire' and make his reputation by turning a team of underachievers into champions in the space of one season.

1. Michael Maguire clearly inherited a bunch of players who were much better than anyone realised - it was just that Brian Noble wasn't much of a coach. In comparison, Lam's team is woefully short on quality. It's suffered more injuries too, but it contains far too many old soldiers.

2. More importantly, Adrian Lam is clearly not Michael Maguire. Instead of working on the areas where we were weak, he tried to affect a massive change in the team's playing style overnight, and it's just not worked. Yes, we regularly throw the ball wide to the cavalry (and sometimes we score glorious tries from that), but he appears to have almost completely neglected our infanty. Teams now go through our middle as if it's not even there. There's no rocket-science required to understand Wigan's defeats. It's all in the defence, or lack of it. It's also the case that Lammy himself looks nervous and shaky before games, whereas Maguire was ice-cool. That is bound to infect the players, and it's only going to get worse as the losses build up.

I wouldn't deny that we've had a bad run of injuries, but we shouldn't let that disguise the real problem, which is - and I hate saying this - that Adrian Lam is out of his depth. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested that, once we had the Shaun Edwards monkey off our back (he also carries a lot of the blame!), we should offer Lam the job long-term on the condition that he turns it around by mid-season. Well now I'm not sure we can afford to wait that long. In constantly finding reasons why it's not Lammy's fault, I fear that we are wasting valuable time. The relegation clock is ticking.'"

I feel a bit sorry for Lam, a mixture of recent injuries and years of poor recruitment have made it difficult for him to find his feet at Wigan. Given both of those things, it's almost impossible for him to do what he was recruited to do - to change us into a team who play an attacking/entertaining style of rugby that will stop attendances falling year after year.

Having said that, the second point above about our defence puts a big question mark over his coaching abilities. These lads could tackle last year especially in the middle of the park and that seems to have gone. Bilko posted some scary stats on twitter about metres gained down the middle by our opposition over the last three games. If Lam can't fix that, we're always going to be under the cosh for the field position, and even if we've built up a decent lead, as we did against Cas, other teams know we've got a soft underbelly and they can rack up points if they get a roll on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "I loved Lam as a player, but as a coach I suspect he's bitten off a lot more than he can chew. He may well have come to Wigan thinking he could do 'a Michael Maguire' and make his reputation by turning a team of underachievers into champions in the space of one season.

I wouldn't deny that we've had a bad run of injuries, but we shouldn't let that disguise the real problem, which is - and I hate saying this - that Adrian Lam is out of his depth. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested that, once we had the Shaun Edwards monkey off our back (he also carries a lot of the blame!), we should offer Lam the job long-term on the condition that he turns it around by mid-season. Well now I'm not sure we can afford to wait that long. In constantly finding reasons why it's not Lammy's fault, I fear that we are wasting valuable time. The relegation clock is ticking.'"

Although a few weeks ago I wasn’t on the Lam Out bandwagon I can’t help but agree with this post. I do feel sorry for him in that he inherited a squad fraught with issues and injuries but I can’t really see a future at Wigan for him.

Tony Smith is being rumoured and to be honest I think that would be quite a shrewd appointment. He’s a proven quality coach and proven winner, but much more importantly he’s proven to improve teams exponentially. Warrington wouldn’t be where they are today without Tony Smith.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner867No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: 100% Warrior "Although a few weeks ago I wasn’t on the Lam Out bandwagon I can’t help but agree with this post. I do feel sorry for him in that he inherited a squad fraught with issues and injuries but I can’t really see a future at Wigan for him.

Tony Smith is being rumoured and to be honest I think that would be quite a shrewd appointment. He’s a proven quality coach and proven winner, but much more importantly he’s proven to improve teams exponentially. Warrington wouldn’t be where they are today without Tony Smith.'"

I would hope we go nowhere near Tony Smith, he had his time but the game has moved on from his tactics. Anybody remember his last year at Wire? No thanks.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29674
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Tough to judge Lam at all IMO because of the disruption in many areas. We’ve had injuries, suspensions, a shambles of a coaching situation, a drugs ban and two players on drink drive charges. As a caretaker you sort of feel some of that stuff is beyond his control and tough to get a grip on.

There’s some positive signs but as many negative ones and I still don’t feel like I can form any reasonable judgement on how he’s done or could do longer term. There’s also too many unknowns in regards to recruitment and retention beyond this year to know what a coach will have to work with. We’ll need serious recruitment to get back near the top of the league regardless of who the coach is.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach89No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree with all the points re: injuries etc but some stuff (defending from dummy half/up the middle/discipline) is basic, no matter who the player is, and not having that is very very worrying.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "Tough to judge Lam at all IMO because of the disruption in many areas. We’ve had injuries, suspensions, a shambles of a coaching situation, a drugs ban and two players on drink drive charges. As a caretaker you sort of feel some of that stuff is beyond his control and tough to get a grip on.

There’s some positive signs but as many negative ones and I still don’t feel like I can form any reasonable judgement on how he’s done or could do longer term. There’s also too many unknowns in regards to recruitment and retention beyond this year to know what a coach will have to work with. We’ll need serious recruitment to get back near the top of the league regardless of who the coach is.'"

Pretty much sums the situation up really,the situation of course isn’t down to Lam but is he really the man to push on and if needs be stand up for what players he does want?

Time will tell of course.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Surely pro players dont forget how to tackle and defend in the space of 12 months?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1832No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15723.gif
:15723.gif

The job to reconstruct this team is a big one, is Lam up to it or is it too big a job for him? We don't know, to give it him is a risk as he has no history as a coach. Do we take a risk on him or look for experience? Or do we do nothing for now and give him time to make the decision a results based one?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I’m now hearing the Tony Smith is being considered as an assistant coach for Lammy.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach89No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Like he was for James Lowes?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain45No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I find it ironic that some still defend the club blindly even though its now playing home games at a conference centre against 2nd tier opposition where as it used to play at a bespoke rugby stadium against world renowned names such as Wigan and st Helens....

115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.48828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
32m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
3m
moxi1
3m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
6m
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
6m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
7m
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
8m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
10m
Squad 2024
faxcar
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,834 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22