FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Will there be changes on Saturday?.
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71261.jpeg

Quote: Big Steve "The thing that happened was that

a)GI was told to get his finger out and do something
B) the ref decided to look only one way when penalising a team

Any team, but even more so an Australian team, will punish you when they get handed easy position through pens - or don't hand the ball over due to not conceding pens.

All Australia's 2nd half tries came from possession given to Australia on the back of refs decisions or non decisions.

Just look'"

Yes exactly. The Aussies were losing so they changed their tactics. Did our coach respond? No.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Keiththered "Yes exactly. The Aussies were losing so they changed their tactics. Did our coach respond? No.'"

It wasn't different tactics that cost us but a failure to implement the game plan properly in the second half. The Aussie came out and played better, you'd expect that of the home team. But having weathered the early storm and forced a scrum, it wasn't the coaches fault we dropped the ball on their 20, on the second tackle, was it?

Still if the video ref had done his job properly we would have won. That's not the coaches fault either.

I've been a massive critic of McNamara in the past, but this time it just isn't warranted. He picked the best team available. They played well. They deserved to win.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "It wasn't different tactics that cost us but a failure to implement the game plan properly in the second half. The Aussie came out and played better, you'd expect that of the home team. But having weathered the early storm and forced a scrum, it wasn't the coaches fault we dropped the ball on their 20, on the second tackle, was it?

Still if the video ref had done his job properly we would have won. That's not the coaches fault either.

I've been a massive critic of McNamara in the past, but this time it just isn't warranted. He picked the best team available. They played well. They deserved to win.'"

As St Pete posted "I think sheens made a big call bringing hunt on and playing with 3 halves. They moved us around then which give GI the space he needed.

Also the Aussies speeded up the play the ball which killed us."

You did not notice that? Are they not different tactics? It was not down just to our individual errors. McNamara did not respond to the Aussie change in tactics.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Keiththered "As St Pete posted "I think sheens made a big call bringing hunt on and playing with 3 halves. They moved us around then which give GI the space he needed.

Also the Aussies speeded up the play the ball which killed us."

You did not notice that? Are they not different tactics? It was not down just to our individual errors. McNamara did not respond to the Aussie change in tactics.'"

Sorry but how is 'speeding up the play the ball' different tactics? It's what every team tries to do unless you are shutting a game down in the last 5.

They moved us around because Cronk is a great kicker - it's what he always does.

Getting Greg Inglis into space isn't a tactical change. It's what they always try to do.

You are over analysing this. The Aussies played better in the second half and got lucky with the officials. Nothing to do with the coach (on this occasion).

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Sorry but how is 'speeding up the play the ball' different tactics? It's what every team tries to do unless you are shutting a game down in the last 5.

They moved us around because Cronk is a great kicker - it's what he always does.

Getting Greg Inglis into space isn't a tactical change. It's what they always try to do.

You are over analysing this. The Aussies played better in the second half and got lucky with the officials. Nothing to do with the coach (on this occasion).'"

Playing three halves not a different tactic?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Quote: Keiththered "Playing three halves not a different tactic?'"

No. They had Cronk, Cherry Evans and Hunt. England had Smith, Widdop and O'Loughlin. A ball playing 13 is as old as Rugby League mate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Yes I agree with that. And maybe someone else deserves a crack at the national coaching job (though I hope it isn't Shaun Wane to be honest).

My point about feeling sorry for the coach was that he was one poor decision from getting into the final and beating Aussie for the first time in 8 years. Sometimes coaches are lucky and sometimes they aren't. I think we underestimate the role that luck plays in top class sport, sometimes the difference between winning and losing between two well matched sides is down to luck.

I don't believe that you can make your own luck either. By its' very nature luck is random and can't be 'made'.'"

i was talking to Dean Bell a few years ago before he moved back to NZ. He said if the game is decided by one refs decision then you haven't done enough to win. If the team doesn't let Australia back into it in the second half with penalties and overly conservative play, or if we have made all that first half dominance count for more than 12 points, then it really wouldn't have mattered whether the Hall try was given or not, the game would have already been settled.

I don't think McNamara will have told the lads to play conservatively or give away penalties but at the end of the day they did, and it's his job to decide what the plan is and make sure they execute it. The players not following his plan is as much a bad indictment of his coaching skills as him coming up with a bad plan in the first place, because it shows he is ineffective

RankPostsTeam
International Star49No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Keiththered "I cannot understand how Joel Tomkins is even in the team. Elliott Whitehead was superb throughout the season. There is no comparison between the two on last season's performances. O'Loughlin's main contribution was to give penalties away. He does not seem fit. His injury problems have severely affected his performance. Both were included on past reputation not current form. Westerman played well against Samoa and should have kept his place. I can understand Wigan fans trumpeting O'Loughlin's inclusion as when he is fit is arguably the best 13 we have. That is not at this moment in time though.'"

I agree with you regarding Joel Tomkins.

I disagree with you about Westerman, I though he was poor against Samoa and would have dropped him even if O'loughlin hadn't played.

With regards to O'loughlin you're talking absolute nonsense, first half O'loughlin was very good, both in defence and attack, he helps the attack so much as he takes the ball right to the line. Yes he wasn't 100% but at 70% he easily better than westerman.

Also he's not arguably the best 13 we have when fit, he's easily the best 13 we have when fit.

When fit he's arguably the best 13 in the world. (Ask Ryan Hoffman)

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "i was talking to Dean Bell a few years ago before he moved back to NZ. He said if the game is decided by one refs decision then you haven't done enough to win. '"

Name dropper!!!

Yes but one team has to win. Maybe we didn't do enough, but by the same token neither did Aussie.

You can't deny that the decision over Hall's try is wrong. Widdop gets to kick for the match. Because the decision was so late in the game it WAS the deciding factor.

If England win - no-one is debating McNamara's tactics. And all of a sudden Tim Sheens is under the spotlight. We get to pull his game plan apart (as I said to Andy Gregory!).

RankPostsTeam
International Star1583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71261_1683968120.jpeg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "No. They had Cronk, Cherry Evans and Hunt. England had Smith, Widdop and O'Loughlin. A ball playing 13 is as old as Rugby League mate.'"

The difference was that the Aussies did not start with that set up. They adopted it when they were losing, a change of tactic that worked. The other difference was that O'Loughlin sole contribution was to give penalties away. If you cannot see the difference there is no point in continuing the discussion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Quote: Keiththered "The difference was that the Aussies did not start with that set up. They adopted it when they were losing, a change of tactic that worked. The other difference was that O'Loughlin sole contribution was to give penalties away. If you cannot see the difference there is no point in continuing the discussion.'"

If you think that SOL's sole contribution was to give away penalties then I'm with you. No point in continuing. icon_wave.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Name dropper!!!

Yes but one team has to win. Maybe we didn't do enough, but by the same token neither did Aussie.

You can't deny that the decision over Hall's try is wrong. Widdop gets to kick for the match. Because the decision was so late in the game it WAS the deciding factor.

If England win - no-one is debating McNamara's tactics. And all of a sudden Tim Sheens is under the spotlight. We get to pull his game plan apart (as I said to Andy Gregory!).'"

But the overall trend is he falls short more or less every time. Why is it that at our very best under McNamara with a weakened Australia team we can only be about level with them?

Even with a couple of injuries under Waite and Noble we still managed to beat good Australia teams, the margins were 8, 12 and 11 points. In all three games we started the game well and kept it going in the second half. We didn't have to come back from behind or score a late winner and we had it sealed late on. Coaching at international level is a very hard job but the harsh reality is that he is failing to live up to the standards of his predecessors, never mind improving on their efforts

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "But the overall trend is he falls short more or less every time. Why is it that at our very best under McNamara with a weakened Australia team we can only be about level with them? Even with a couple of injuries under Waite and Noble we still managed to beat good Australia teams, the margins were 8, 12 and 11 points. In all three games we started the game well and kept it going in the second half. We didn't have to come back from behind or score a late winner and we had it sealed late on. Coaching at international level is a very hard job but he is failing to live up to the standards of his predecessors, never mind improving on their efforts'"

Yes you are right, and I'm no fan of McNamara. His decisions last year cost us a place in the World Cup final IMO - leaving out James Graham and Gaz Hock for the Aussie group game and sticking blindly with Sinfield and Chase.

However with the correct video ref decision we win and get to the final with a chance of winning the tournament. My main point was that luck plays a part in sport and he got none on Sunday. It could end up costing him his job (or one of them!!!).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "If you think that SOL's sole contribution was to give away penalties then I'm with you. No point in continuing. Aww come on, I've still not ingested my requisite amount of anti Wigan bile yet! Please ask him to come back! d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jinkin jimmy "Aww come on, I've still not ingested my requisite amount of anti Wigan bile yet! Please ask him to come back!
Lol....

132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.21630859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
Recent