International Board Member20408
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3rwwi1cz][color=#800000:3rwwi1cz]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:3rwwi1cz][/b:3rwwi1cz]:

Quote: Orrell Lad "Another new investor at Bradford to give the club a six figure sum.

rlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21699726rl

Disgraceful, the sport doesn't want these kind of sugar daddy offerings

Sugar Mummy? icon_biggrin.gifROOL:

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: DaveO "Yes your right it is four years note three. It is for 69 Arriva premiership games a year and European games featuring UK sides from 2014 and the rights to screen matches from a sevens competition.

It's still £38m a year going into the sport and it is definitely going to be used to increase their salary cap.

"It will mean an increase of 50% in television revenue for our clubs and means we can look at the salary cap [which is £4.5m plus add-ons] for the season after next. Our aim has for a long time been to put ourselves on a par with football's [second tier] Championship and we are well on our way."

From here

rlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/12/premiership-rugby-bt-deal-broadcastrl

Rubbish. A 50% increase in TV revenue and the amount of money this will inject into the game means exactly the opposite.

It doesn't really matter though from an RL point of view. The fact remains in order to compete with RU and NRL salary caps RL needs to find a lot of cash from outside the sport because RL's sugar daddies are not going to bankroll the sport to the required extent. You can seek crumbs of comfort on RU clubs balance sheets if you want but they aren't going away.'"

You should really do a little research before denouncing other people's posts as rubbish. Just spouting nonsense like, “A 50% increase in TV revenue and the amount of money this will inject into the game means exactly the opposite”, without having any grasp of the figures involved and just making presumptions based on PR spin is really what is rubbish. I also don’t see why you are so quick to believe the PR spin anyway from a Rugby Premiership that is desperately trying to get people on board and sell a very unpopular deal. I am sure you would be a damn site more critical if the RFL or Super League made such statements.

The English RU clubs lost £16.2m for the year ending June 2011 and £21m in 2010. The profit and losses for each club, for their last set of figures, are shown below:

Club Operating Profit/loss ()
Bath (1.8m)
Exeter Chiefs 0.9m
Gloucester 0.6m
Harlequins (1.6m)
Leicester Tigers 0.6m
London Irish (1.1m)
London Wasps* (3.1m)
Newcastle Falcons (1.6m)
Northampton Saints 0.9m
Sale Sharks* (1.6m)
Saracens (5.6m)
Worcester Warriors (2.8m)

Therefore 7 clubs reported a deficit of more than £1.5 million. At the very, very best, and with all the PR spin to try and sell this BT deal to the fans, the RFU, the ERC and the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French and Italians (all of which are against the deal), it is reported that this deal may be worth up to an extra million per club at best. It will probably be a lot less when they put even more in the European pot to placate these nations.

Therefore please tell me how Rugby Union clubs won’t need sugar daddies to make up what is still a significant shortfall on even their current spending? How will they be able to raise the salary cap without sugar daddies providing the extra? Various clubs don’t even spend anywhere near the current salary cap as it is and various owners have scaled back their backing because they can’t sustain it. How will these clubs fund spending an ever bigger cap without a sugar daddy?

As for the Rugby Union Premiership matching even Championship football don’t make me laugh. Attendances don’t even compare and the average salary is £85,000 per year in the Premiership compared to £250,000 in Football’s Championship. It is as far away now as it was years ago when it first started to make such statements.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Famous "You should really do a little research before denouncing other people's posts as rubbish. Just spouting nonsense like, “A 50% increase in TV revenue and the amount of money this will inject into the game means exactly the opposite”, without having any grasp of the figures involved and just making presumptions based on PR spin is really what is rubbish. I also don’t see why you are so quick to believe the PR spin anyway from a Rugby Premiership that is desperately trying to get people on board and sell a very unpopular deal. I am sure you would be a damn site more critical if the RFL or Super League made such statements. '"

Well given I have given you links to illustrate my point and all I see from you is unsubstantiated opinion I think the one who needs to do some research as you put it is you.

You also are ignoring the core point that is regardless of where the money comes from RU and the NRL operate salary caps far higher than ours and that, as I have said, is the fundamental issue.

If you want to live in a dream world where RU suddenly implodes I really don't care because it isn't going to. Not only do they have the cash from the BT Vision deal they have the cash from the RFU that comes from the Internationals.

I also know, first hand, what the later means. As you may know my son played for Chester RU and I know for a fact the RFU are matching investment by the club pound for pound to purchase additional training fields and that will cost a six figure sum. This is way off Premiership RU so when it comes to money and RU you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Quote: Famous "Therefore 7 clubs reported a deficit of more than £1.5 million.'"

7 x 1.5 At the very, very best, and with all the PR spin to try and sell this BT deal to the fans, the RFU, the ERC and the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French and Italians (all of which are against the deal), it is reported that this deal may be worth up to an extra million per club at best. It will probably be a lot less when they put even more in the European pot to placate these nations. '"

A million at best? 38 goes down to 12? So the premiership clubs left Sky to go to BT for less money? That is what you are saying here which is obviously completely bonkers.

Quote: Famous "Therefore please tell me how Rugby Union clubs won’t need sugar daddies to make up what is still a significant shortfall on even their current spending? How will they be able to raise the salary cap without sugar daddies providing the extra? Various clubs don’t even spend anywhere near the current salary cap as it is and various owners have scaled back their backing because they can’t sustain it. How will these clubs fund spending an ever bigger cap without a sugar daddy?

As for the Rugby Union Premiership matching even Championship football don’t make me laugh. Attendances don’t even compare and the average salary is £85,000 per year in the Premiership compared to £250,000 in Football’s Championship. It is as far away now as it was years ago when it first started to make such statements.'"

Attendances don't matter a jot. Have you not realised that yet? How much money does Wigan Athletic get from gate receipts as opposed to TV revenue?

Honestly, you don't think you know what you are talking about when it comes to the finances of pro sport. You just can't seem to grasp two things. 1. The RU and NRL salary caps are what they are and so whether you think RU clubs are bankrupt in all but name doesn't matter. And 2. Both the NRL and RU are only able to afford these high salary caps not because of sugar daddies but because of external sponsorship which is in the most part direct from TV deals.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif

Quote: DaveO "Well given I have given you links to illustrate my point and all I see from you is unsubstantiated opinion I think the one who needs to do some research as you put it is you.
'"

Your initial post was factually incorrect and your subsequent posts have been incorrect and instead of just admitting you were wrong, something which you always seem reluctant to do, you are now attempting to compare apples with oranges. You selectively quote to get out of answering difficult points and constantly try to shift the argument from what it was I originally disagreed with. You have given one link and made a whole lot of presumptions which are not actually based upon any facts in that link. I have provided facts and figures to back up what I say and everything I have posted is freely available, if you had researched it I am very surprised you haven’t come across it.

Quote: DaveO "7 x 1.5

That is not what I am saying and this is just typical nonsense from yourself which shows you have absolutely no understanding of what you are talking about and it does make me wonder if you are just being deliberately obtuse. Where did I say anything about a reduction in money or clubs only getting a million? To save you the trouble of actually reading, and understanding, what I posted I said that this deal may be worth up to an extra million at best.

You seem to be under the illusion that the Rugby Union Premiership clubs don’t currently have a TV deal for the Premiership and Heineken Cup and that any BT Vision money is new money. Well sorry it doesn’t work like that and when your idol Mark McCafferty talks about a 50% increase in TV revenue (Of course there is no PR spin with that figure) he is talking about an increase on what they currently get and the new deal is just an increase on this, not an extra £38 million like you seem to think going by your illustration above. Depending on success English clubs could have got anywhere from £8.7 million to £14 million a year from the Heineken Cup anyway and a further £18 million for the Premiership.

I never said they did but this is just another example of you arguing for arguments sake. What are you even trying to argue here? Its just another example of you comparing apples and oranges. In my post I just did some research, instead of blindly following PR statements from the head of Premiership Rugby Union, and am just giving two examples of why the Rugby Union clubs are no where near matching Championship Football clubs. Do wages not matter either then? When a Rugby Union club spends £30+ million on wages and when the average wage is anywhere near that of Championship Football clubs, never mind attendances, then maybe they can argue. Quite what Wigan Athletic have got to do with it I don’t know but if average wages and attendances are both a damn site higher then that suggests turnover is too. Oh by the way the current Football League deal is £195 over 3 years and that is a deal signed pre BT Vision with no competitiors. I cant even think of a single area where Premiership Rugby Union clubs have the edge over Championship Football clubs.
Quote: DaveO "Honestly, you don't think you know what you are talking about when it comes to the finances of pro sport. '"

Based on your posts on this thread this surely has to be a joke.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Famous "Your initial post was factually incorrect and your subsequent posts have been incorrect and instead of just admitting you were wrong, something which you always seem reluctant to do, you are now attempting to compare apples with oranges. You selectively quote to get out of answering difficult points and constantly try to shift the argument from what it was I originally disagreed with. You have given one link and made a whole lot of presumptions which are not actually based upon any facts in that link. I have provided facts and figures to back up what I say and everything I have posted is freely available, if you had researched it I am very surprised you haven’t come across it.'"

Utter tripe.

Quote: Famous "That is not what I am saying and this is just typical nonsense from yourself which shows you have absolutely no understanding of what you are talking about and it does make me wonder if you are just being deliberately obtuse. Where did I say anything about a reduction in money or clubs only getting a million? To save you the trouble of actually reading, and understanding, what I posted I said that this deal may be worth up to an extra million at best.'"

It is exactly what you are saying. If a sponsorship deal worth £38m a year is only really worth £1m a year to the clubs given there are 12 clubs in the RU premiership £26m has just vanished. Thus is a ludicrous position on your part. You also have nothing to back this up. It is just opinion.

Quote: Famous "You seem to be under the illusion that the Rugby Union Premiership clubs don’t currently have a TV deal for the Premiership and Heineken Cup and that any BT Vision money is new money. Well sorry it doesn’t work like that and when your idol Mark McCafferty talks about a 50% increase in TV revenue (Of course there is no PR spin with that figure) he is talking about an increase on what they currently get and the new deal is just an increase on this, not an extra £38 million like you seem to think going by your illustration above. Depending on success English clubs could have got anywhere from £8.7 million to £14 million a year from the Heineken Cup anyway and a further £18 million for the Premiership.'"

It's £38 million a year that if going to give them a 50% increase on TV revenue over and above their current Sky deal. They ere going to use it to increase their salary cap. Do you deny that fact?

Trying to suggest McCafferty is spinning it is not an argument. It's just another unsubstantiated opinion of yours.

Based on what you have read there is an awful lot of PR spin in your opinion is what you meant to say surely.

Quote: Famous "I said that 7 clubs reported a deficit of more than £1.5 million, another was £1.1 million and the combined losses were £16.2 million for the year ending June 2011.

I simply used the only figures you gave and so you know exactly what I did. The debt is more than covered by the revenue from the TV deal and you are ignoring other sources of revenue such as from the RFU itself.

[codehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9735565/The-future-of-Welsh-rugby-union-is-at-stake-as-the-Heineken-Cup-falls-flat.html[/code

This is a deal for Premiership clubs. I should imagine the Scots clubs are pretty broke as well. So what?

Quote: Famous "Therefore as I asked previously, if this deal is worth up to £1 million per club how will they no longer be reliant on sugar daddies when this amount doesn’t even cover their current losses? How can they afford an even bigger salary cap without a sugar daddy? '"

It is only in your mind its worth a mere £1m per club. All you have done is try to construct a scenario that fits in with the conclusion you want to draw. It's all McCafferty spin if it is too inconvenient for your position is your latest tack.

Quote: Famous " I never said they did but this is just another example of you arguing for arguments sake.'"

So why say "As for the Rugby Union Premiership matching even Championship football don’t make me laugh. Attendances don’t even compare ..."

If attendances don't matter? What point were you trying to make by mentioning attendances? None? I think it was quite fair to infer you felt they were relevant to this debate which is about the amount of money available, otherwise why did mention them?

Quote: Famous " What are you even trying to argue here? Its just another example of you comparing apples and oranges. In my post I just did some research, instead of blindly following PR statements from the head of Premiership Rugby Union, and am just giving two examples of why the Rugby Union clubs are no where near matching Championship Football clubs.'"

What you did is find chose to believe what you wanted. The alternative view is now classed by you as PR statements or spin. That is not research nor is it formulating an argument.

Quote: Famous "Do wages not matter either then? When a Rugby Union club spends £30+ million on wages and when the average wage is anywhere near that of Championship Football clubs, never mind attendances, then maybe they can argue. Quite what Wigan Athletic have got to do with it I don’t know but if average wages and attendances are both a damn site higher then that suggests turnover is too. Oh by the way the current Football League deal is £195 over 3 years and that is a deal signed pre BT Vision with no competitiors. I cant even think of a single area where Premiership Rugby Union clubs have the edge over Championship Football clubs.
Based on your posts on this thread this surely has to be a joke.'"

You can read as well ans anyone and when McCafferty says for the season after next. Our aim has for a long time been to put ourselves on a par with football's [second tier] Championship and we are well on our way."

It's plain English. He doesn't they ARE on a par with footballs Championship but this puts them on their way to that ambition but they WILL be increasing their salary cap.

As to Wigan Athletic I simply don't believe you didn't understand the connection with the rest of my point which was to use them to illustrate that attendances are not a huge source of revenue for sports that pay high wages and that TV sponsorship is.

You arguments seem to based on what you say is correct and what McCafferty, a top RU Premiership official, is just spin. Who to believe? The Chief Executive of RU Premiership Rugby or you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15774
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif sleepy.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1704
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61641_1313077623.png
[color=#FF0000:18ol665r]A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final[/color:18ol665r]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61641.png

current TV deal + 50% = £38m BT deal.
£25.33m + 50% = £38

so the clubs get an extra £12.67m per year.......this will have to be shared with their French partners in an Anglo/French so they wont get much more each and if they have run up debts over £12m already there wont be much left to increase the cap with.........Still need the wealthy backers to fund their spending sprees

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif

Quote: pie.warrior "current TV deal + 50%

Exactly it is so straight forward even a child could understand.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Quote: DaveO "Who to believe? The Chief Executive of RU Premiership Rugby or you?'"

You make it sound like people involved at the top of Yawnion only speak the truth icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32337
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: DaveO "

You arguments seem to based on what you say is correct and what McCafferty, a top RU Premiership official, is just spin. Who to believe? The Chief Executive of RU Premiership Rugby or you?'"

I remember the CEO at Saints telling all and sundry that their new town shop was like going to Wembley every year.
Do you know what happened?

The shop lost a fortune and they had to move it to a smaller place tucked back in the precinct.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif

Quote: DaveO "It is exactly what you are saying. If a sponsorship deal worth £38m a year is only really worth £1m a year to the clubs given there are 12 clubs in the RU premiership £26m has just vanished. Thus is a ludicrous position on your part. You also have nothing to back this up. It is just opinion. '"

Sorry I gave you far too much credit when I asked if you were being obtuse, you obviously don’t have the intelligence to be. If you can’t even understand why what you have wrote in reply is so foolish then I am not going to pretty much repeat myself for nothing, you may as well read what you are quoting again and try to understand, maybe get your son to help you. Where have I said £26m has disappeared? Do you not currently think that Rugby Union clubs get TV revenue? Can you really not see, or understand, that any increase in money from a new TV deal is just an increase on what they got in the old deal and is not all just new money?

Quote: DaveO "It's £38 million a year that if going to give them a 50% increase on TV revenue over and above their current Sky deal. They ere going to use it to increase their salary cap. Do you deny that fact?'"

For some reason you do seem rather hung up on this 50% figure which in isolation is rather meaningless. If you read your first sentence again you may understand why your post previously was so stupid. I don’t know what they are going to do, maybe they are just going to use it to reduce their already vast losses so that the sugar daddies dont need to plough quite as much money in.

Quote: DaveO "Trying to suggest McCafferty is spinning it is not an argument. It's just another unsubstantiated opinion of yours.

Based on what you have read there is an awful lot of PR spin in your opinion is what you meant to say surely. '"

Of course the head of Premiership Rugby union is never going to spin a hugely unpopular deal that hasn’t got RFU approval, ERC approval or approval from the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French or Italians. He is certainly not going to make it sound attractive as possible to get these nations on board and not have to lose over a 1/3 of the £152m which is for the European element of this deal.

Quote: DaveO "I simply used the only figures you gave and so you know exactly what I did. The debt is more than covered by the revenue from the TV deal and you are ignoring other sources of revenue such as from the RFU itself.'"

I suggest you learn to read a little better. I gave you a breakdown club by club of profits and losses which showed exactly what each club made or lost. By saying that 7 clubs lost more than £1.5 million I was trying to make it as simple as possible for you to understand and to illustrate that clubs getting an extra £1 million will mean they will still lose money. Seems this wasnt simple enough for you though. Also the debt is not covered by the extra TV revenue as I have shown.

Quote: DaveO "[codehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9735565/The-future-of-Welsh-rugby-union-is-at-stake-as-the-Heineken-Cup-falls-flat.html[/code

This is a deal for Premiership clubs. I should imagine the Scots clubs are pretty broke as well. So what?

It is only in your mind its worth a mere £1m per club. All you have done is try to construct a scenario that fits in with the conclusion you want to draw. It's all McCafferty spin if it is too inconvenient for your position is your latest tack. ?'"

Is this for real? If you bothered to read the article that I gave you, and which you quote above it says, “English clubs expect to get roughly £1 million more per club as part of their £152 million deal with BT Vision.” Here is a different link for you, that shows they expect to get £1 million more per club, as you struggled to read and understand that one:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19585839

As for the rest of your post when I read nonsense like that it is obvious you are just being pedantic and arguing for arguments sake, with absolutely no basis. Your waffle about the Football Championship is a prime example of that. Turnover, wages, attendences, facilities, TV revenue are all far higher in the Football Championship so what are you even arguing about here. You dont even provide a counter argument apart from its an ambition. Well its my ambition to be a multi billionaire but just because my pay went up a little last year it doesnt mean its going to happen.

I dont really care if you believe what I have said or not, I am just stating facts and figures, which are fairly easy to interpret and my arguments are based on this. You have links to what the deal is worth per club and you have links to profits and losses of all clubs of all Premiership Rugby Union clubs. In the one link you have posted there is absolutely nothing that suggests that RU clubs will no longer be dependant on sugar daddies or match Championship Footballs wages. You can say TV revenue is going up 50% until the cows come home, or alternative true statements like the sky is blue, which may also be correct, but it has absolutely no relevance to backing up your claims.
Quote: DaveO "It is exactly what you are saying. If a sponsorship deal worth £38m a year is only really worth £1m a year to the clubs given there are 12 clubs in the RU premiership £26m has just vanished. Thus is a ludicrous position on your part. You also have nothing to back this up. It is just opinion. '"

Sorry I gave you far too much credit when I asked if you were being obtuse, you obviously don’t have the intelligence to be. If you can’t even understand why what you have wrote in reply is so foolish then I am not going to pretty much repeat myself for nothing, you may as well read what you are quoting again and try to understand, maybe get your son to help you. Where have I said £26m has disappeared? Do you not currently think that Rugby Union clubs get TV revenue? Can you really not see, or understand, that any increase in money from a new TV deal is just an increase on what they got in the old deal and is not all just new money?

Quote: DaveO "It's £38 million a year that if going to give them a 50% increase on TV revenue over and above their current Sky deal. They ere going to use it to increase their salary cap. Do you deny that fact?'"

For some reason you do seem rather hung up on this 50% figure which in isolation is rather meaningless. If you read your first sentence again you may understand why your post previously was so stupid. I don’t know what they are going to do, maybe they are just going to use it to reduce their already vast losses so that the sugar daddies dont need to plough quite as much money in.

Quote: DaveO "Trying to suggest McCafferty is spinning it is not an argument. It's just another unsubstantiated opinion of yours.

Based on what you have read there is an awful lot of PR spin in your opinion is what you meant to say surely. '"

Of course the head of Premiership Rugby union is never going to spin a hugely unpopular deal that hasn’t got RFU approval, ERC approval or approval from the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French or Italians. He is certainly not going to make it sound attractive as possible to get these nations on board and not have to lose over a 1/3 of the £152m which is for the European element of this deal.

Quote: DaveO "I simply used the only figures you gave and so you know exactly what I did. The debt is more than covered by the revenue from the TV deal and you are ignoring other sources of revenue such as from the RFU itself.'"

I suggest you learn to read a little better. I gave you a breakdown club by club of profits and losses which showed exactly what each club made or lost. By saying that 7 clubs lost more than £1.5 million I was trying to make it as simple as possible for you to understand and to illustrate that clubs getting an extra £1 million will mean they will still lose money. Seems this wasnt simple enough for you though. Also the debt is not covered by the extra TV revenue as I have shown.

Quote: DaveO "[codehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9735565/The-future-of-Welsh-rugby-union-is-at-stake-as-the-Heineken-Cup-falls-flat.html[/code

It is only in your mind its worth a mere £1m per club. All you have done is try to construct a scenario that fits in with the conclusion you want to draw. It's all McCafferty spin if it is too inconvenient for your position is your latest tack. ?'"

Is this for real? If you bothered to read the article that I gave you, and which you quote above it says, “English clubs expect to get roughly £1 million more per club as part of their £152 million deal with BT Vision.” Here is a different link for you, that shows they expect to get £1 million more per club, as you struggled to read and understand that one:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19585839

As for the rest of your post when I read nonsense like that it is obvious you are just being pedantic and arguing for arguments sake, with absolutely no basis. Your waffle about the Football Championship is a prime example of that. Turnover, wages, attendences, facilities, TV revenue are all far higher in the Football Championship so what are you even arguing about here. You dont even provide a counter argument apart from its an ambition. Well its my ambition to be a multi billionaire but just because my pay went up a little last year it doesnt mean its going to happen.

I dont really care if you believe what I have said or not, I am just stating facts and figures, which are fairly easy to interpret and my arguments are based on this. You have links to what the deal is worth per club and you have links to profits and losses of all clubs of all Premiership Rugby Union clubs. In the one link you have posted there is absolutely nothing that suggests that RU clubs will no longer be dependant on sugar daddies or match Championship Footballs wages. You can say TV revenue is going up 50% until the cows come home, or alternative true statements like the sky is blue, which may also be correct, but it has absolutely no relevance to backing up your claims.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Famous "Sorry I gave you far too much credit when I asked if you were being obtuse, you obviously don’t have the intelligence to be. If you can’t even understand why what you have wrote in reply is so foolish then I am not going to pretty much repeat myself for nothing, you may as well read what you are quoting again and try to understand, maybe get your son to help you. Where have I said £26m has disappeared? Do you not currently think that Rugby Union clubs get TV revenue? Can you really not see, or understand, that any increase in money from a new TV deal is just an increase on what they got in the old deal and is not all just new money? '"

Of course they get TV revenue. A lot of it. They now get even more. That is why they moved from Sky to BT.

Quote: Famous "For some reason you do seem rather hung up on this 50% figure which in isolation is rather meaningless. If you read your first sentence again you may understand why your post previously was so stupid. I don’t know what they are going to do, maybe they are just going to use it to reduce their already vast losses so that the sugar daddies dont need to plough quite as much money in.'"

Well at least you are now acknowledging they are getting more money not from the sugar daddy route. Their salary cap is currently £4.5m. The TV deal is worth £38m a year. Divided by 12 that is £3m a year so £1.5m to find. They also get about £730K from the RFU per season. So that leaves £770K to find which is bugger all given sponsorships, prize money, gate receipts merchandise and so on. Far less than what Wigan has to find off its own bat for example to fund our much smaller cap and run the club.

Quote: Famous "I suggest you learn to read a little better. I gave you a breakdown club by club of profits and losses which showed exactly what each club made or lost. By saying that 7 clubs lost more than £1.5 million I was trying to make it as simple as possible for you to understand and to illustrate that clubs getting an extra £1 million will mean they will still lose money. Seems this wasnt simple enough for you though. Also the debt is not covered by the extra TV revenue as I have shown.
'"

See above. You make it sound as if this their only income which it if course is not. In a previous post I said this (which is what you disagreed with)ambition[/i to pay players more money aiming to[i towards[/i soccer first division and they ARE getting more money into the sport to divide up and this money is NOT reliant on sugar daddies as it is coming from the increased TV revenue.

Quote: Famous "Is this for real? If you bothered to read the article that I gave you, and which you quote above it says, “English clubs expect to get roughly £1 million more per club as part of their £152 million deal with BT Vision.” Here is a different link for you, that shows they expect to get £1 million more per club, as you struggled to read and understand that oneAs for the rest of your post when I read nonsense like that it is obvious you are just being pedantic and arguing for arguments sake, with absolutely no basis. Your waffle about the Football Championship is a prime example of that. Turnover, wages, attendences, facilities, TV revenue are all far higher in the Football Championship so what are you even arguing about here. You dont even provide a counter argument apart from its an ambition. Well its my ambition to be a multi billionaire but just because my pay went up a little last year it doesnt mean its going to happen.'"

Given all I ever said it was it was their stated ambition what on earth do I have to counter? I never said it was anything else [iother[/i than an ambition. So if there is any waffle here its from you arguing as if [iI[/i had said something completely different.

Quote: Famous "I dont really care if you believe what I have said or not, I am just stating facts and figures, which are fairly easy to interpret and my arguments are based on this. You have links to what the deal is worth per club and you have links to profits and losses of all clubs of all Premiership Rugby Union clubs. In the one link you have posted there is absolutely nothing that suggests that RU clubs will no longer be dependant on sugar daddies or match Championship Footballs wages. You can say TV revenue is going up 50% until the cows come home, or alternative true statements like the sky is blue, which may also be correct, but it has absolutely no relevance to backing up your claims.'"

I never said it would allow them to match championship wages and the quotes in the links do not say that either. "Our aim has for a long time been to put ourselves on a par with football's [second tier] Championship and we are well on our way". Does not mean they are about to match championship wages and I never said it would. So it's no use arguing I did.

What I also said ages ago was this in relation to the whole thing:

"It doesn't really matter though from an RL point of view. The fact remains in order to compete with RU and NRL salary caps RL needs to find a lot of cash from outside the sport because RL's sugar daddies are not going to bankroll the sport to the required extent. You can seek crumbs of comfort on RU clubs balance sheets if you want but they aren't going away."

And that remains the case.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif

Quote: DaveO "Snip'"

I was going to pull this to pieces, as I have with all of your replies, but to be honest Right DaveO enough is enough, you are boring me now and I am not going to go round in circles anymore because the one thing I have learned on these forums is that DaveO always has to have the last word and will never admit he is wrong. I really do have better things to do than argue with a clueless fool who just argues for arguments sake, based on their own opinion, with no facts or figures to back them up. I have provided facts and figures why RU clubs will still be reliant on sugar daddies with this new TV deal, even if the salary cap remains the same never mind if it increases. I have educated you about the BT Vision deal, which you seemed to know nothing about, for example you didn’t even know the correct length of it and what it consisted of, and said why this deal is not as attractive or popular as you seem to think. I have also shown why Premiership RU is nowhere near Championship Football. In reply you have shown an alarming grasp of professional sport, finance, mathematics and I really hope you don’t look after the money in your household.

Your latest response consists of yet more drivel and instead of just admitting you were wrong and acknowledging how stupid some of your posts have been you are now trying to change the argument and throw different things into the mix. Some of your replies are also trying to wash over some of the drivel you have wrote over the last 2 pages. You have consistently ignored points that disprove you and jump on minor points that you think you have some semblance of an argument on in an effort to try and detract from your more stupid arguments of yours that I have disproved. You have shown a complete lack of understanding on this thread of most of the points made and have been proved wrong time again with facts and links and any right minded person will read the last few pages and just think you are more than just a little foolish. You have your opinion but on every post I have ever read from you you just keep repeating the same garbage ad nueseam, no matter what evidence or facts that people show, and try to dress it up like it is based on some sort of fact and I have yet to see you acknowledge you were wrong. When presented with facts you argue by comparing apples and oranges and come back with things that have absolutely nothing to do with the points being made. There is no point wasting time arguing with people like that and I would prefer a proper debate with someone with a little more intellect to be honest. I have to say though you have amused me with your complete lack of understanding and failure to read simple links, facts and articles properly but it is just all too easy and is a little like shooting fish in a barrel. You aren’t related to comical Ali are you? The head in the sand approach in spouting the same garbage despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is remarkably similar.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Waiting for the reply is a bit like waiting for the white smoke from the vatican.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15774
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Im waiting for the 'quotathon' reply from DaveO.....

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.7666015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H
Tarquin Fueg
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Tarquin Fueg
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 Disciplinary
Jack Burton
20s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
21s
Recruitment rumours and links
Howfenwire
38s
Hull KR H
Geese
51s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
krisleeds
57s
Salford H
Tarquin Fueg
1m
Saints h
Zig
2m
2024 Play Off Chance
paddock
2m
Play-offs
Septimius Se
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-offs
Septimius Se
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
workforce11
TODAY
George Williams
Howfenwire
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
The games af
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
jimmyfivebel
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Alffi_7
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
RobRiches
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
TODAY
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six After Destroying Hull FC
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,754 ↓-4280,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20