JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "Are you being serious??? How on earth does a team "get a few injuries" without someone being hurt???'"

Again with the proportion blowing.

If Wigan were playing Leeds next week. Would you rather face a fully fit Leeds side or a Leeds side that had picked up a few injuries the week before and so were weakened? Obviously not major injuries such as a break, but a dead leg or a twisted sock. Enough to keep him out the side and therefore make it better from a Wigan POV.

Would you rather Wire go the rest of the season fully fit, or miss a few players here and there with niggles and so lose games and push Wigan further away from them?

That is the point I think Beswick was trying to make he just maybe went about it wrongly.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9982No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4486_1428087820.png
Newsnight 13th May 2010: "With the role of Deputy Prime Minister a non-job. Has Nick Clegg gone from King Maker to tea maker????" I kept the faith and I kept voting Not for the iron fist but for the helping hand For theirs is a land with a wall around it And mine is a faith in my fellow man Theirs is a land of hope and glory Mine is the green field and the factory floor Theirs are the skies all dark with bombers And mine is the peace we knew Between the wars:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4486.png

Quote: Conroy "Again with the proportion blowing.

If Wigan were playing Leeds next week. Would you rather face a fully fit Leeds side or a Leeds side that had picked up a few injuries the week before and so were weakened? Obviously not major injuries such as a break, but a dead leg or a twisted sock. Enough to keep him out the side and therefore make it better from a Wigan POV.

Would you rather Wire go the rest of the season fully fit, or miss a few players here and there with niggles and so lose games and push Wigan further away from them?

That is the point I think Beswick was trying to make he just maybe went about it wrongly.'"

No he didn't. He didn't just say "It looks like Amos has broken his leg, that gives us a better chance" He was laughing about it! Would it be OK if Jack D or Phil K did it??

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

That is the point I think Beswick was trying to make he just maybe went about it wrongly.'"

I'm going to wait till tomorrow for you to rethink this post before replying as it's obvious from the way you repeatedly qualify your statements with comments such "Obviously not major injuries such as a break" that you don't actually believe this is a valid argument.

And again, for the record, I'd rather beat a fully fit side than one weakened by injuries. Not that that has anything to do with this particular debate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Donna "No he didn't. He didn't just say "It looks like Amos has broken his leg, that gives us a better chance" He was laughing about it! Would it be OK if Jack D or Phil K did it??'"

Exactly.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "I'm going to wait till tomorrow for you to rethink this post before replying as it's obvious from the way you repeatedly qualify your statements with comments such "Obviously not major injuries such as a break" that you don't actually believe this is a valid argument.

And again, for the record, I'd rather beat a fully fit side than one weakened by injuries. Not that that has anything to do with this particular debate.'"

It's a perfectly valid argument and one I stand by. I'm in work at the mo so haven't been drinking if that is your belief.

I do not wish a SERIOUS injury on anybody and have always sportingly applauded a player off the field when such an incident has occurred and will continue to do so.

If a player misses a few games with injury (take Tommy's injury for example) and it benefits Wigan then I'll take that every time. As Roberts' injury will benefit Wire it's my opinion that that is what he meant. I doubt he was celebrating the fact that Amos had broken his leg, but rather that his injury would aid Wire. As I said earlier, maybe he went about it the wrong way but from what I heard I don't think there was any malice in the comment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach452No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i fully understand what you're trying to say here but i think the point that people are trying to make is that this guy is supposed to be a professional and he's sat there laughing at the news. i dont care who he supports, he shouldn't be making comments like that live on the radio. i do think its been blown a tad out of proportion but i think amos, if anyone, deserves an apology.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

Quote: stop-this-song "i dont care who he supports, he shouldn't be making comments like that live on the radio.'"

That is what I mean by 'went about it the wrong way'

As a pro he needs to be 100% unbiased

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Conroy "It's a perfectly valid argument and one I stand by. I'm in work at the mo so haven't been drinking if that is your belief.

I do not wish a SERIOUS injury on anybody and have always sportingly applauded a player off the field when such an incident has occurred and will continue to do so.

If a player misses a few games with injury (take Tommy's injury for example) and it benefits Wigan then I'll take that every time. As Roberts' injury will benefit Wire it's my opinion that that is what he meant. I doubt he was celebrating the fact that Amos had broken his leg, but rather that his injury would aid Wire. As I said earlier, maybe he went about it the wrong way but from what I heard I don't think there was any malice in the comment.'"

Well if you're sure you stand by it, here goes. I'm sure Bernard Manning had no malice when he made racist jokes. I'm sure many on here tell them from time to time. Does it therefore follow that it should be broadcast? In fact, does it follow that anything should be broadcast as long as there's no malice in it? Do you think the Jonathon Ross/Russel Brand sketch was suitable for broadcast? There was clearly no malice in it?

To argue that his belief that Amos' potential double fracture of the leg (as it was then believed to be) was better for Wire, therefore he was at liberty to delight in the possibility is quite ridiculous! In fact I can best illustrate it by taking it to it's ultimate conclusion. Would his response to a Wigan player's death be appropriate in your opinion if he said "Can you see the smile on my face" or "what's a death matter if it wins us a trophy!" Now, I fully understand that no-one died. I merely use this extreme to show that the principle you are arguing is wrong. Where you draw the line is a matter for personal morals and integrity. The point I am making is that one person's acceptable is different to another's. It's up to the individual to make the decision where that line falls. If, in your post, you had debated what Alan Beswick had said, that would have been one thing. Of course, you didn't. Instead you chose to comment on other people's response to a given circumstance and question where their particular bounds of acceptibility shoul fall. That is why I posted to point this out. I don't mind your opinion. It's your's to have. What I do mind is you taking it upon yourself to decide where my own boundries of good taste should lie.

And as an aside, I think wanting a team to get injuries to better your own team's chances smacks a little too much of the Latics supporter in you! Personally I'd rather my team beat the best than win hollow victories. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Conroy "That is what I mean by 'went about it the wrong way'

As a pro he needs to be 100% unbiased'"

...and he wasn't. Isn't this exactly what we have a right as license payers to expect? If he falls short don't we have a right to make it known to the corporation we fund that we are disatisfied? I think you need to re-read this post and then compare it to your previous ones. You've either changed your mind (fair enough; that's the point of debate) or you're getting confused.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "Instead you chose to comment on other people's response to a given circumstance and question where their particular bounds of acceptibility shoul fall. That is why I posted to point this out. I don't mind your opinion. It's your's to have. What I do mind is you taking it upon yourself to decide where my own boundries of good taste should lie.'"

I never once mentioned that you should have the same opinion as me. I simply said that people are blowing this out of proportion which is my opinion. Yours is that he was wrong to say it and should apologise. Are you not saying that my opinion is wrong and I should fall into your boundaries of good taste? No, you're simply stressing your opinion which we're all entitled to do.

The fact that we're arguing about it amongst ourselves is probably the response he wanted from his (again my opinion) tongue in cheek comment.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "...and he wasn't. Isn't this exactly what we have a right as license payers to expect? If he falls short don't we have a right to make it known to the corporation we fund that we are disatisfied? I think you need to re-read this post and then compare it to your previous ones. You've either changed your mind (fair enough; that's the point of debate) or you're getting confused.'"

Not changed my mind or getting confused. He should keep his club loyalties to himself which he didn't on this occasion but saying that, no commentator in the World does. Don't think we can have a pop at him for that.

By wrong way I mean he probably shouldn't have sounded so jovial and maybe phrased it as:

'Amos Roberts has a possible broken leg which is no doubt a boost to my club Warrington (which would put a smile on his face) with Wigan missing a key player for maybe the season, but what now for both Wigan and Roberts' No malice and opens the topic up for discussion. Would we have this thread then? Probably not.

As I said, he's gone about it the wrong way, but I honestly don't believe there was any malice in it. Maybe i'm wrong and the guy is a t*t but I presume the beeb would have reacted differently if it was intentional malice as they did with the Brand/Ross scenario you mentioned. (on a totally separate note, Russell Brand is about as funny as aids)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Conroy "I never once mentioned that you should have the same opinion as me. I simply said that people are blowing this out of proportion which is my opinion. Yours is that he was wrong to say it and should apologise. Are you not saying that my opinion is wrong and I should fall into your boundaries of good taste? No, you're simply stressing your opinion which we're all entitled to do.

The fact that we're arguing about it amongst ourselves is probably the response he wanted from his (again my opinion) tongue in cheek comment.'"

I'll refer you back to your own 2nd post (the one I commented on) and the manner you chose to express it. If you can honestly say that it wasn't a comment on people's opinion, as opposed to a comment on the issue, then I'll leave it there. However, I think we both know, given in a subsequent post you mention it was in response to people's intention to phone in etc. that wasn't the case.

Incidentally, I notice you don't answer the questions I posed you in the post you quote in part above. Could this be because you actually agee with the principle, despite what you've been arguing in this thread? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Conroy "Not changed my mind or getting confused. He should keep his club loyalties to himself which he didn't on this occasion but saying that, no commentator in the World does. Don't think we can have a pop at him for that.

By wrong way I mean he probably shouldn't have sounded so jovial and maybe phrased it as

But he didn't. That is exactly the point. We all know what he should have done. The fact that he failed to do so is the reason we have responded the way we have! It's like saying Gaz Hock shouldn't have been repremanded as what he should have done was not take the drugs. We know. But he did take the drugs. that's the point!

You say you aren't geting confused but you are increasingly arguing against yourself. You now accept that he didn't do his job, was unprofessional, should have handled it differently, should keep his club loyalties in check to a greater degree than he does etc. etc. Isn't that exactly the right reasons to put in a complaint against a broadcaster? If not, what is?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

The point of this thread and complaint is because he seemingly celebrated Amos' injury is it not? My opinion is that he didn't. He could have (and probably should have) handled it differently, maybe said nothing at all, but it was a clear imo tongue in cheek comment about the major talking point of the weekend which happened to benefit the team he supports.

My second comment was because imo the situation has been blown out of proportion. People have complained and the beeb have replied. I'm not saying you're wrong to take it further or have the opinion you have, I'm simply disagreeing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Conroy "The point of this thread and complaint is because he seemingly celebrated Amos' injury is it not? My opinion is that he didn't. He could have (and probably should have) handled it differently, maybe said nothing at all, but it was a clear imo tongue in cheek comment about the major talking point of the weekend which happened to benefit the team he supports.

My second comment was because imo the situation has been blown out of proportion. People have complained and the beeb have replied. I'm not saying you're wrong to take it further or have the opinion you have, I'm simply disagreeing.'"

I agree with you mate, anybody who knows Allan should know that he's a huge wind up merchant who likes to make statements to shock and get people thinking and talking (and he doesn't always really believe the tripe he comes out with).

Personally he's always made me chuckle, right back to the phone ins of an evening on Red Rose and people trying to swear, take the mick out of etc.

111 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
111 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.59326171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squad for London
Winslade's O
8m
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Maccbull_Big
13m