JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "With the exception of Gildart all those players are much more experienced and older than they Hull equivalent. Wigan get plenty of credit and I'm sure either other club (Leeds and Saints apart) are jealous of Wigans academy. We had a hull players who did a great pick up, handed a player off and ran 90 metres to score and all the commentators did was talk about was Batemans chase back, without a mention of Shaul.

We had nothing to play for, away at the 2nd best side in SL with 12 or so players out, we also lost Lineham and Shaul during the game, had Shaul stayed on I reckon we could have won it and he was causing you problems when down to 12 men.

Very pround as a Hull fan and I hope we can emulate Wigan and Leeds model and bring success the right way.'"

Not much older, and only "experienced" because they have been given it... How many foreign players you got next year?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner25517No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigan Peer "Not much older, and only "experienced" because they have been given it... How many foreign players you got next year?'"

About the same as Leeds, but they don't get c

Most are two years older, so when they were 18/19 like ours was last night they were eased into the first team. There is the odd exception like Burgess, I suppose like Abdul for Hull.

I'm not coming on here for an argument, I'm just glad invest on our youth is finally paying off and we can seek the rewards.

Back onto overseas players 3 of the ones we have signed are top class and would get into most SL clubs.

Hopefully we will have the right balance next year to have a go at the top 4.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "About the same as Leeds, but they don't get c

Most are two years older, so when they were 18/19 like ours was last night they were eased into the first team. There is the odd exception like Burgess, I suppose like Abdul for Hull.

I'm not coming on here for an argument, I'm just glad invest on our youth is finally paying off and we can seek the rewards.

Back onto overseas players 3 of the ones we have signed are top class and would get into most SL clubs.

Hopefully we will have the right balance next year to have a go at the top 4.'"

It's not an argument, just pointing out that we HAVE done what you say, eased them in, you have not. Bringing Leeds in is just deflection, we are talking about Hull having an problem where they HAVE to play youngsters. We rested players last night, and still had a young team. I hope you do get the balance right...

RankPostsTeam
International Star920
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67701_1339334508.jpg
[color=#000000:85q8qz3k] Old Faithful [/color:85q8qz3k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67701.jpg

I liked the 'Whats it like to play our kids' chant

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I just watched an interview with Wane on Wigan TV.. He said Hull ave age 21, ours was 22... I have not checked the stats. But it should be remembered that Wigans team is very young.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "Cruncher I think that some of your comments are a response to my earlier posts so I would like to clarify a few points if I may.
Firstly believe it or not I am a SW fan and I applaud his determination to encourage the development of new blood via our youth system however, for me the potential diamond in that said system is used infrequently and when used is in a position that he obviously does not enjoy or display some basic requirements of the role.
We have lost Burgess and will lose Charnley for next season. Sarginson is also off and add to that Bowens retirement which leave our backs exceptionally exposed.
I work on the premise that no news is bad news therefore, assume that Hampshire will also be exiting.
How many backs have we got left?
We have tried to get Carney but I believe he is off to Hull. I know bugger all about NRL so haven't got a clue who we could sign from there and as for SL who would we like to sign even if we could?
I currently despair at our apparent ineptitude in recruiting and retaining backs of any quality. You may consider that a moan I consider it a fundamental requirement.
I am not a fly by night but neither am I a one eyed spectator who accepts a modicum of improvement as everything is rosy in the garden.
I personally want to aspire to perfection and hopefully achieve excellence. Come on Rouges who is that quoted from?
Sorry to come in a bit late on this but people more eloquent than me have been discussing it, but I must say that I fall within the camp of the fans that think that Rocky is being treated unfairly.

Yesterday I had a look at some of Rockys stats since debut.

2013 season 4 starts at fullback, 1 start at standoff and 2 on the subs bench.
2014 season 4 starts at fullback, 0 starts at standoff and 4 on the subs bench.
2015 season (to date) 12 starts at fullback, 3 at standoff (1 of these was an emergency when Williams broke down in the warm up) 1 on the bench.
I know these are only figures and all they show is Wane is either trying to protect Rocky or a marked reluctance to play him at standoff.

Then we come to some more stats for Matty Smith for the same period.
2013 season 30 appearances.
2014 season 32 appearances.
2015 season (to date) 27 appearances, only missing one match due to suspension.
As the season has gone on Matty has looked more and more jaded, but when some fans have said he needs a rest others say "he is the only goal kicker we have".
Over the last few weeks Matty has given the goal kicking job up, this can be only be down to loss of confidence in is own kicking ability or he is carrying an injury. If it is the latter and he is carrying an injury it only bears out what some fans are pointing out the reluctance of Wane to play Rocky in the halves.
Yesterday was the prime case for Matty to be rested in what was supposed to be an easy run out, bring Rocky into the halves and then bring Matty back for the Saints match.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigan Peer "How many foreign players you got next year?'"

Wow.....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain81
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was at the match and can only remember seeing Matty Smith twice, once when he dropped the ball trying to pass it and then at the end clapping the fans!! Was he off the pitch for the rest of the time or was he totally anonymous?

I thought the Hull youngsters were fantastic, as were ours, however our senior players (Smith, Joel, Charnley, etc) really need to start improving their performances or Wane should show some bottle and drop them!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stillinthepast "Yesterday was the prime case for Matty to be rested in what was supposed to be an easy run out, bring Rocky into the halves and then bring Matty back for the Saints match.'"

While I too want to see more of Hampshire, one of the club's alleged concerns is his defensive weakness. After yesterday's game, I see no reason why that concern would have lessened. That said, he wasn't the only one missing tackles.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4732
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

And as I recall he didn't have too many bombs to contend with. Certainly not when under pressure.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "While I too want to see more of Hampshire, one of the club's alleged concerns is his defensive weakness. After yesterday's game, I see no reason why that concern would have lessened. That said, he wasn't the only one missing tackles.'"

My biggest concern is that Smith is just plainly not good enough to lead the team around the park and dictate play.
Last night he got too much of the ball at the expense of Wiiliams and he was found wanting. No pace no flair and unable to unpick any defence that is organised.
He works hard and his kicking game can be good but often indifferent.
Just not good enough.
Hampshire may well also fall into the not good enough camp but it seems unlikely that we find out if that is the case at Wigan.
In terms of tackling there are several candidates already ahead of Hampshire who have a distinct lack of ability in that area.

If I was Wane I would be more concerned about MM Tomkins and Gelling on last nights performance. My favourite player is MM however, this season he is at best average and if we had a half decent replacement I would drop him unceremoniously to bring back to reality which seems to left his world since signing his contract extension.
As for Tomkins I would be calling Koukash to see if he will open his wallet to take him off our hands. Tomkins has done nothing this season absolutely nothing. He should be embarrassed to be in the same team as Bateman who was fantastic for us last night.
Gelling is well Gelling. Mad as a March hare lovely lad but unfortunately not a centre.

The only highlights from a players perspective this year has been Bateman, Williams, Clubb and thankfully the return of Ben Fowers playing something like.
They should be the only players who aren't on SWs white board on Monday morning ie the rest should be seeing SW for their one to one's and I suggest MM and Tomkins are at the top of the list!
Fair play to Hull last night I thought they were going to sneak it at the end and if they had it would probably have been justice to their great team effort.

Hopefully our guys have now had a drop of reality ie beating an awful Warrington team and a Catalan team playing away from home isn't GF form but almost expected and severL others teams could accomplish the same results.
Last night was a reminder that we haven't got a good defence unlike the views of some and that we don't really have sufficient pace to really hurt the top team. On the subject of pace what a great effort by Bateman last in trying to catch the Hull winger.
Hopefully in a strange way last may just have been what we need before the semi finals ie a good shake up and IL opening the chequebook to beef up the squad for next season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4732
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg

Smith was very ordinary indeed last night. Surely he can't be our 7 next season?

Two or three more Batemans and our worries would be over! What a player the guy is.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "While I too want to see more of Hampshire, one of the club's alleged concerns is his defensive weakness. After yesterday's game, I see no reason why that concern would have lessened. That said, he wasn't the only one missing tackles.'"

Based on that game there are more concerns about Smith's defence than Hampshire's. It was like Tim Smith had filled in for the night, except Tim Smith could throw a good pass. In the build up to at least two tries Smith was guily of tackle attempts that were embarrassing for anyone, never mind someone who has represented his country at international level. I hope he's fired up and keen to make an impact against Saints because last night Smith was terrible.
Hampshire made some mistakes at times, but it's hard for him having had no consistency. Smith has been below par all year and gets away with it. The only way Hampshire will improve defensively is by playing and learning from mistakes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cherry.Pie "Based on that game there are more concerns about Smith's defence than Hampshire's. It was like Tim Smith had filled in for the night, except Tim Smith could throw a good pass. In the build up to at least two tries Smith was guily of tackle attempts that were embarrassing for anyone, never mind someone who has represented his country at international level. I hope he's fired up and keen to make an impact against Saints because last night Smith was terrible.
Hampshire made some mistakes at times, but it's hard for him having had no consistency. Smith has been below par all year and gets away with it. The only way Hampshire will improve defensively is by playing and learning from mistakes.'"

You won't get any defence of Matty Smith from me. Having met the lad, I like him a lot, but I don't think he's Wigan standard. I know that's an oft-used and oft-mocked phrase, but for me he's a journeyman. I'd like to see Ryan Hampshire and George Williams providing our halfback partnership in the next few years, but it would be a brave coach who'd take that risk when they're both 20.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4732
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg

Williams has done fine with not too much support from Smith this year. It's hard to see that he'd be any worse with Rocky alongside him.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.31884765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Lee Briers joins St Helens coaching staff
Wires71
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
7m
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
10m
This weeks disciplinary
just_browny
12m
RD 25 Hull FC H
ploinerrhino
26m
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
27m
Shopping list for 2025
ComeOnYouUll
33m
Sheffield A
Highlander
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Rumours thread
Wollo-Wollo-
32s
Salford H
Steve0
36s
Film game
Boss Hog
39s
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
39s
IMG scores
PopTart
41s
Sheffield A
Highlander
43s
Call for funds
faxcar
43s
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
51s
Max
PopTart
55s
RD 25 Hull FC H
ploinerrhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
ninearches
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
[Gareth]
TODAY
Ken Rollin
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
Chris71
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,685 ↑6180,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20