JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: WARRIOR5 "You can’t just say “regardless of injuries and squad quality”. Pep Guardiola wouldn’t win the premier league with Wigan Athletic when he’s only been able to name the same side on two occasions. That goes for Holbrook, Price etc. Injuries and squad quality are hugely decisive factors in how a team performs...

I’d give him a two/three year deal, make significant changes to the squad and judge him next year. If we’re still not competing, fair enough. But this year was always about transition.'"

Pep Guardiola wouldn’t win the Prem with Wigan but he’d have them playing good football and looking organised within a month regardless of the squad, let’s not forget these are full time professional players who already know how to play rugby league and many are internationals. Anyone would think we were Doncaster with what dross people are willing to accept.

You can only hide behind transition for so long, the honeymoon period is over and we look like a team which is badly coached like Saints were under Cunningham. Cunningham may have a wealth of knowledge, he may ha e talked the talk and so on but ultimately the team failed massively on the pitch and it was down to him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

In Cunningham's defence, Saints were robbed in 3 out of the 4 semi finals he took them to.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bigredwarrior "The trip to Australia made money for the club, just not as much as was hoped. All the club costs (including Hull FC) were met by the Wollongong / Sydney Tourism Board. The Millwall trip resulted in new corporate sponsorship so again, brought money in and was not funded out of his own pocket. He’s also set up the Wigan Warriors Business Club.
The off field investments were in the total upgrade of training facilities, the Central Park Academy and now the investment at Robin Park. He clearly focused on building the infrastructure of the club. You can’t build a house on sand, it needs a solid foundation.'"

The money before the trip being mentioned was utter nonsense,it simply wasn’t going to happen unless the Aussies came out in their many thousands which really was a foolish thing to hope for.

The trip I’ve no doubt made a very small profit but at what cost?hea has clearly alienated a large portion of the fan base who have just said over the years up yours and found other things to spend their hard earned cash and leisure time on,you keep treating people poorly they simply won’t come back,it’s clear that yet again the season tickets sales have slumped again.

This was lenegans folly and he has to take it on the chin,it was inexcusable and I suspect there will be yet again less season tickets sold this off season.

He will in due course sell Orrell I’d assume to offset the cost of robin park and once that goes the club won’t have any bricks and mortar assets I hope he knows what he’s doing there.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Injuries obviously play a part, but I still think the team should be more organised and structured (especially in defence) than it currently is.

I just don't see anything that makes me think Lam is the right guy for this job.

Imo we should be going all out to bring Flanagan over, as his speciality is all about turning a rag tag bunch into a well oiled machine. FWIW i do think the majority of the players we've got all have a couple levels of improvement in them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

We need someone on a 3-4 year deal who will actually see out the full 3-4 year deal to complete the job and not work miracles in season 1 or 2 and leave.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: hengirl "The money before the trip being mentioned was utter nonsense,it simply wasn’t going to happen unless the Aussies came out in their many thousands which really was a foolish thing to hope for.

The trip I’ve no doubt made a very small profit but at what cost?hea has clearly alienated a large portion of the fan base who have just said over the years up yours and found other things to spend their hard earned cash and leisure time on,you keep treating people poorly they simply won’t come back,it’s clear that yet again the season tickets sales have slumped again.

This was lenegans folly and he has to take it on the chin,it was inexcusable and I suspect there will be yet again less season tickets sold this off season.

He will in due course sell Orrell I’d assume to offset the cost of robin park and once that goes the club won’t have any bricks and mortar assets I hope he knows what he’s doing there.'"

I’m sure he knows exactly what he’s doing. Let’s face it, he’s a multi millionaire businessman who has vast experience of running sports clubs. I’m a lowly, hardworking man who enjoys watching sport so I’m quite sure he knows more about running the club than I do, or most other ‘expert’ fans on here for that matter.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Bigredwarrior "The trip to Australia made money for the club, just not as much as was hoped. All the club costs (including Hull FC) were met by the Wollongong / Sydney Tourism Board. The Millwall trip resulted in new corporate sponsorship so again, brought money in and was not funded out of his own pocket. He’s also set up the Wigan Warriors Business Club.
The off field investments were in the total upgrade of training facilities, the Central Park Academy and now the investment at Robin Park. He clearly focused on building the infrastructure of the club. You can’t build a house on sand, it needs a solid foundation.'"

They couldn't stand leneghan when he turned the club around from a shambles to a Trophy winning team in 2 years and then led them to 8/9 Trophies in the next 8 seasons

Why would they let him off the hook now (When clearly things have gone wrong and yes he has to shoulder some of the blame).

But said it over and over, if you keep looking for fault you'll find it even if it's not there
This has been coming for about 4/5 years and the people who targeted Wane/Radlinski/Leneghan to different degrees and constantly tried to rip the club apart (And to be fair told us that all 3 of them were Rubbish/Corrupt/Pocketing Money and many other slanderous things) got their wish and now they're right.

They now want Mythical people to take over (AKA known as Multi millionaires who must be banging Leneghans door down to take over a club where it's own fans spend an unhealthy amount of their time trying to find something wrong even if it's not there) who if they do take over will have to pump large amounts in (Like Leneghan has done) only to be told by untold Business & Sporting experts that they're doing it wrong

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "They couldn't stand leneghan when he turned the club around from a shambles to a Trophy winning team in 2 years and then led them to 8/9 Trophies in the next 8 seasons

Why would they let him off the hook now (When clearly things have gone wrong and yes he has to shoulder some of the blame).

But said it over and over, if you keep looking for fault you'll find it even if it's not there
This has been coming for about 4/5 years and the people who targeted Wane/Radlinski/Leneghan to different degrees and constantly tried to rip the club apart (And to be fair told us that all 3 of them were Rubbish/Corrupt/Pocketing Money and many other slanderous things) got their wish and now they're right.

They now want Mythical people to take over (AKA known as Multi millionaires who must be banging Leneghans door down to take over a club where it's own fans spend an unhealthy amount of their time trying to find something wrong even if it's not there) who if they do take over will have to pump large amounts in (Like Leneghan has done) only to be told by untold Business & Sporting experts that they're doing it wrong'"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Some people must enjoy watching a team play poorly and languish towards the bottom of the table whilst probably singing the ‘Everything is Awesome’ song whilst they hand over their money week after week.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member851No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2806_1275322415.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2806.jpeg

I think Lenagan (and Radlinski's for that matter) biggest issue is that they have become complacent with the one thing that an owner should never do and that's the fan base.

Look at the early days of his ownership and the communication and engagement with the fans is at least 3 or 4 levels above what it is now. We had fans forums and similar events where the direction and vision of the club were being outlined, fast forward to now and that has all gone. Granted people may have asked daft questions, or may/may not have agreed with what was being said - but at least there was a level of honesty and transparency given to fans.

Whether you agree or not with the merits of moving games to Millwall and Australia, those decisions alienated sections of the fan base, especially since the rationale for moving the games doesn't appear on the surface to have materialised in any way that they expected. It may well have done, but then again the subsequent benefits have never really ever been outlined so I can understand why supporters are still cheesed off about it given their outlay on season tickets.

Leading onto season tickets, what a joke it is when I can buy my World Club Challenge tickets cheaper on Wowcher than I can using my season ticket holder discount or in season discounts make the in year saving on a season ticket less and less worthwhile.

Key to any Rugby League club given the perilous state of finances should be ensuring the existing supporter base is encouraged to return week after week as its far harder to attract them back than it is to retain.

Finally, and its one that is only fair to recognise that during Lenegan's tenure that the success has been great (and with a bit of luck could have been even greater) but to rely on past successes is also a sign of complacency as only well we know that its not to be taken for granted.

Regardless of past successes, look at the current policy of letting our "stars" move on to Australia whilst in contract and the subsequent bargain basement recruitment and its like history repeating itself, and we seem to be falling into the same trap as we did in the late 90's and mid 000's and as others have done more recently. History is great, but that's all it is … History, a sporting clubs needs to be moving forward all the time or else it all ends and the fans ebb away, eg. Saints signing players like Jack Owens, Matty Dawson - guess what they stopped winning trophies crowds went down, Leeds replacements like Mullalley, Jordan Thompson, Myler, Donaldson - guess what the trophies have dried up crowds have gone down, Wigan signing Sammut, Hankinson etc ......…

Whilst Lenegan has done great since he has been here, I do feel that he and the powers that be do need to get a grip on certain elements of the club that seem to have floundered in the past couple of years, and in this I include marketing & communications, getting the best backroom staff and not just people with a Wigan accent and ensuring that a contract means a contract and not a transfer fee opportunity.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2022Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jukesays "They couldn't stand leneghan when he turned the club around from a shambles to a Trophy winning team in 2 years and then led them to 8/9 Trophies in the next 8 seasons

They now want Mythical people to take over (AKA known as Multi millionaires who must be banging Leneghans door down to take over a club where it's own fans spend an unhealthy amount of their time trying to find something wrong even if it's not there) who if they do take over will have to pump large amounts in (Like Leneghan has done) only to be told by untold Business & Sporting experts that they're doing it wrong'"

Couldn’t agree more. Other teams could only dream of the success Lenagan has brought us over the last 10 years, the only team who can rival it being Leeds.

He’s pumped great deals of his own money into the club. Tried a number of initiatives (some successful, some less so) to promote the team/wider game. We’ve won the academy grand final is it 9 years out of 10 and the first ever woman’s super league.

People have called for his head throughout the periods of success. And now seem pleased that now there’s an excuse to bash him, they feel justified. The same people often mentioning that they won’t go to the game because we aren’t winning, or in previous years, winning but not playing well enough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: warriorweed "I think Lenagan (and Radlinski's for that matter) biggest issue is that they have become complacent with the one thing that an owner should never do and that's the fan base.

Look at the early days of his ownership and the communication and engagement with the fans is at least 3 or 4 levels above what it is now. We had fans forums and similar events where the direction and vision of the club were being outlined, fast forward to now and that has all gone. Granted people may have asked daft questions, or may/may not have agreed with what was being said - but at least there was a level of honesty and transparency given to fans.

Whether you agree or not with the merits of moving games to Millwall and Australia, those decisions alienated sections of the fan base, especially since the rationale for moving the games doesn't appear on the surface to have materialised in any way that they expected. It may well have done, but then again the subsequent benefits have never really ever been outlined so I can understand why supporters are still cheesed off about it given their outlay on season tickets.

Leading onto season tickets, what a joke it is when I can buy my World Club Challenge tickets cheaper on Wowcher than I can using my season ticket holder discount or in season discounts make the in year saving on a season ticket less and less worthwhile.

Key to any Rugby League club given the perilous state of finances should be ensuring the existing supporter base is encouraged to return week after week as its far harder to attract them back than it is to retain.

Finally, and its one that is only fair to recognise that during Lenegan's tenure that the success has been great (and with a bit of luck could have been even greater) but to rely on past successes is also a sign of complacency as only well we know that its not to be taken for granted.

Regardless of past successes, look at the current policy of letting our "stars" move on to Australia whilst in contract and the subsequent bargain basement recruitment and its like history repeating itself, and we seem to be falling into the same trap as we did in the late 90's and mid 000's and as others have done more recently. History is great, but that's all it is … History, a sporting clubs needs to be moving forward all the time or else it all ends and the fans ebb away, eg. Saints signing players like Jack Owens, Matty Dawson - guess what they stopped winning trophies crowds went down, Leeds replacements like Mullalley, Jordan Thompson, Myler, Donaldson - guess what the trophies have dried up crowds have gone down, Wigan signing Sammut, Hankinson etc ......…

Whilst Lenegan has done great since he has been here, I do feel that he and the powers that be do need to get a grip on certain elements of the club that seem to have floundered in the past couple of years, and in this I include marketing & communications, getting the best backroom staff and not just people with a Wigan accent and ensuring that a contract means a contract and not a transfer fee opportunity.'"

Spot on especially with regards the quality of player signings. I know some fans have blind faith and would back Peter Sutcliffe to the hilt if he had a Wigan shirt on. You can’t expect people not to criticise the club, what are we? East Germany? North Korea? Jesus wept.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32339
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: post "Some people must enjoy watching a team play poorly and languish towards the bottom of the table whilst probably singing the ‘Everything is Awesome’ song whilst they hand over their money week after week.'"

Or the ones who are most the negative, most vociferous moaners, who DON'T hand over their money every week but continue with their negativity from the comfort of their bar-stools or armchairs. Somewhere in the middle is probably right.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: post "Spot on especially with regards the quality of player signings. I know some fans have blind faith and would back Peter Sutcliffe to the hilt if he had a Wigan shirt on. You can’t expect people not to criticise the club, what are we? East Germany? North Korea? Jesus wept.'"

Yet you criticise other posters who have a different opinion to you and call them happy clappers?
Is your world North Korea or East Germany then?

Seems like your only allowed an opinion if it matches the negative Pitchfork brigades view of things.

Quote: post "Some people must enjoy watching a team play poorly and languish towards the bottom of the table whilst probably singing the ‘Everything is Awesome’ song whilst they hand over their money week after week.'"

I don't "Enjoy" watching it, and anyone who saw me for 3/4 hours after the game on the coach or in Calella will testify how "Down" I was.
However, you dust yourself down and move on, try to be constructive and think Long Term
I'm not a Lam fan, but sacking him without having a Plan of what to do next is not the answer.
He's been dealt a few band hands, but he also had 6months or so to plan for this and some of our play is truly awful
As I searched in the early hours of Sunday morning for the right words the only 2 I could think of over and over again are Amateurish and "Soft".
Soft in particular bugs me - Soft culture, soft underbelly, Soft approach to everything we do etc. etc.

So what's happened?
I don't know and won't pretend I know All the answers, but working Harder & getting behind each other has to be the start.

One coach who gets raised as an example over & over again is Maguire and people who are inside the dressing room tell me that the perception that he was a master coach whilst Wane is a Bully etc. say it couldn't be more the opposite.
But to take a speech from Maguire that was his Pre-Match Wire CC game in 2011

"Run F***ing Harder than them, Tackle F***ing Harder than them"
And when asked how many years at coaching school did it take to learn that gave the answer "It's a pretty simple game".

It's like we've forgotten this bit and concentrated on the coaching manual and focussed on all the Nicey Nicey bits.

Anyway

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Jukesays "Yet you criticise other posters who have a different opinion to you and call them happy clappers?
Is your world North Korea or East Germany then?

Seems like your only allowed an opinion if it matches the negative Pitchfork brigades view of things.

I don't "Enjoy" watching it, and anyone who saw me for 3/4 hours after the game on the coach or in Calella will testify how "Down" I was.
However, you dust yourself down and move on, try to be constructive and think Long Term
I'm not a Lam fan, but sacking him without having a Plan of what to do next is not the answer.
He's been dealt a few band hands, but he also had 6months or so to plan for this and some of our play is truly awful
As I searched in the early hours of Sunday morning for the right words the only 2 I could think of over and over again are Amateurish and "Soft".
Soft in particular bugs me - Soft culture, soft underbelly, Soft approach to everything we do etc. etc.

So what's happened?
I don't know and won't pretend I know All the answers, but working Harder & getting behind each other has to be the start.

One coach who gets raised as an example over & over again is Maguire and people who are inside the dressing room tell me that the perception that he was a master coach whilst Wane is a Bully etc. say it couldn't be more the opposite.
But to take a speech from Maguire that was his Pre-Match Wire CC game in 2011

"Run F***ing Harder than them, Tackle F***ing Harder than them"
And when asked how many years at coaching school did it take to learn that gave the answer "It's a pretty simple game".

It's like we've forgotten this bit and concentrated on the coaching manual and focussed on all the Nicey Nicey bits.

Anyway'"

I’m not against people with the opposite opinion no, but when the majority of posters who replied were telling me everything is fine, things will work out, give Lam time etc I get it but blind faith won’t work with this issue. I may be the solitary parochial moaning sod but attendances and league position backs up my claim.

The docked points wouldn’t have helped, neither would the recruitment that he probably played no part in and the Edwards debacle would have surely affected the players because of all the uncertainty and it’s shown in league position and the noticeable attendance drop.

I’d give Lam time, accept all those reasons why we aren’t doing as well as we previously have done and accept we are transition IF we looked like a team that knew what they were doing but we don’t, the players look lost on the field, they are trying individually but not as a group. Some players look as though they don’t want to be there and show it in their performances. But don’t say the players read all the negativity on these boards and that’s why they’re playing like they are because that’s more excuses for them.

I know you quoted Madge but those words of wisdom are quite fitting because that’s exactly what we need for starters at the minute but aren’t getting.

I gave Lam time, I accepted all the reasons stated above but after watching game after game the areas in which we are lacking can be fixed by good coaching within a couple of months, but nothing has changed. And for that reason, Lam cannot carry on as head coach IMO.

And if people think Chairmen only start looking for a coach when they need one are dreaming, if they think they only approach coaches once the previous coach has gone they’re dreaming too.

Before we can improve the Clubb needs to sort out who will be permanent coach from next season and what’s going on with Williams.

121 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
121 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.13818359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Cuddleclub
30m
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
52m