JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: --[ WW ]-- "--"Firstly, I don't see how this sees off the game. Players need to tackle a bit lower, 4 inches or so. I don't see how that will ruin my enjoyment of the sport. In days gone by, when the people complaining presumably still enjoyed rugby, tackling lower was much more common anyway.

Secondly, brain injuries are different to broken bones and pulled muscles. A broken bone will heal in the vast majority of circumstances. A broken brain will not. And even in the worst cases of physical injuries where someone might have a permanent disability I'd still choose that over dementia'"

This is pretty much my stance.

I don’t like the new rules but I think they could be a lot worse.

I don’t see how they will ruin the game although initially we need to accept there will be an increase in penalties through a natural transition process.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If doctors had their way they wouldn't just outlaw boxing and rugby, they would outlaw motor racing, rock climbing, surfing, paragliding etc etc ... anything with a modicum of risk.

The people who participate in these activities know the dangers they face.

Those players currently arguing that they didn't know are bare-faced liars, being encouraged to tell these ridiculous lies by the blood-sucking lawyers currently rubbing their hands with glee at the whole new world of big-time earning opening up in front of them.

We need to call them out. Because anyone who thinks this is going to stop at 'broken brains' can think again. Once they've exhausted the brain injuries, they'll start looking at kidney damage, busted hips and knees etc. They'll find plenty of useful idiot doctors to assist, and it will go on forever until there's nothing left of us.

Unless the game makes a stand now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Cruncher "If doctors had their way they wouldn't just outlaw boxing and rugby, they would outlaw motor racing, rock climbing, surfing, paragliding etc etc ... anything with a modicum of risk.

The people who participate in these activities know the dangers they face.

Those players currently arguing that they didn't know are bare-faced liars, being encouraged to tell these ridiculous lies by the blood-sucking lawyers currently rubbing their hands with glee at the whole new world of big-time earning opening up in front of them.

We need to call them out. Because anyone who thinks this is going to stop at 'broken brains' can think again. Once they've exhausted the brain injuries, they'll start looking at kidney damage, busted hips and knees etc. They'll find plenty of useful idiot doctors to assist, and it will go on forever until there's nothing left of us.

Unless the game makes a stand now.'"

If the game makes a stand…it will lose.

It’s that simple.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jonh "This is pretty much my stance.

I don’t like the new rules but I think they could be a lot worse.

I don’t see how they will ruin the game although initially we need to accept there will be an increase in penalties through a natural transition process.'"

I don’t think that anyone has mentioned limited minutes yet? Apologies if someone has.
Using Harry Smith as a back example he cannot play more than 30 full games per year ie 2400 minutes per year.
Even assuming zero internationals, he won’t be able to play all possible games assuming we get to the CCF and GF.
What will the club do in 2025 when there is a planned tour of Australia? Assume that Smith will play 3 games in Australia and limit his game time for Wigan to 27 full games?
Could this be the end of internationals and/or the World Cup for English players?
Liam Farrell for example will be limited to 25 full games per year so I assume that he retire from international rugby as potentially most forwards will going forward.
Obviously this may lead to most teams having a “back” on the bench to reduce the number of 80 minutes games played but would say Leeming be “accepted” as back substitute for game A if he replaces Smith but a forward substitute if he say replaces O’Neil?
If player welfare is now paramount then why continue with meaningless loop fixtures and the even more preposterous Magic Weekend?
Obviously Jon questions not just aimed at yourself.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I don’t think that anyone has mentioned limited minutes yet? Apologies if someone has.
Using Harry Smith as a back example he cannot play more than 30 full games per year ie 2400 minutes per year.
Even assuming zero internationals, he won’t be able to play all possible games assuming we get to the CCF and GF.
What will the club do in 2025 when there is a planned tour of Australia? Assume that Smith will play 3 games in Australia and limit his game time for Wigan to 27 full games?
Could this be the end of internationals and/or the World Cup for English players?
Liam Farrell for example will be limited to 25 full games per year so I assume that he retire from international rugby as potentially most forwards will going forward.
Obviously this may lead to most teams having a “back” on the bench to reduce the number of 80 minutes games played but would say Leeming be “accepted” as back substitute for game A if he replaces Smith but a forward substitute if he say replaces O’Neil?
If player welfare is now paramount then why continue with meaningless loop fixtures and the even more preposterous Magic Weekend?
Obviously Jon questions not just aimed at yourself.'"

Internationals and finals can be used in credit I believe as they cannot be planned for. However they have to be accounted for in the following season.

I anticipate in certain games squads will be rotated which again is why I see Rocky as a key signing.

Having versatility is essential under this new protocol.

You would expect most players to be unavailable for a couple of games a year minimum due to injury and I think we will manage the process depending on opposition.

I think with our squad depth it’s less of an issue given the quality of depth we have, some clubs may really struggle though with thinner squads.

London, Cas and Salford in particular look to have very thin squads.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9478
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13145_1273270974.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13145.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I don’t think that anyone has mentioned limited minutes yet? Apologies if someone has.

International fixtures won't count towards the maximum number of games (see the link below).

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ex ... -from-2024

I don't so much mind this aspect of the new rules - in fact I remember suggesting it myself a few years ago in order reduce fatigue (if clubs cant afford to play less games then the only other way would be to put a cap on the number of games a player can play).

There are significant challenges however:

1) Coaches would have to plan ahead and pinpoint the games in the year where they will want their full squad

2) Fans will be buying season tickets in the knowledge that the best set of players will not be available for a number of games

3) Clubs with limited depth in their squad will really struggle to be competitive and could find themselves in a real hole if injuries bite.

4) It may be more difficult to develop cohesion in your team, thus impacting quality of games

International fixtures won't count towards the maximum number of games (see the link below).

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ex ... -from-2024

I don't so much mind this aspect of the new rules - in fact I remember suggesting it myself a few years ago in order reduce fatigue (if clubs cant afford to play less games then the only other way would be to put a cap on the number of games a player can play).

There are significant challenges however:

1) Coaches would have to plan ahead and pinpoint the games in the year where they will want their full squad

2) Fans will be buying season tickets in the knowledge that the best set of players will not be available for a number of games

3) Clubs with limited depth in their squad will really struggle to be competitive and could find themselves in a real hole if injuries bite.

4) It may be more difficult to develop cohesion in your team, thus impacting quality of games

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "If the game makes a stand…it will lose.

It’s that simple.'"

I guess where there's no will, there's no way.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: MadDogg "International fixtures won't count towards the maximum number of games (see the link below).

Thanks MD I wasn’t aware that international games do not count but find the hypocrisy in the RL in just “ignoring” their own guidelines pretty amazing.
I agree with your summary on challenges and would amplify your point 2 where fans potentially will be paying to see their players sitting in the stands rather than on pitch on a regular basis.
I can also envisage more games being “thrown” which will further dilute the overall quality of the sport.

For me the SC should have been raised to acknowledge the need for extra players required within the squad and the number of allowable non fed players should have been increased. First and foremost loop games should have been consigned to history.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player104
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cruncher "I guess where there's no will, there's no way.'"

it may not be as simple as that. i have worked in logistics for 20+ years, with racking, shelving and bulk storage

one year our insurer came along and said that bulk storage - cannot now be more than 1 pallet high (not really bulk storage) as the sprinklers wouldnt handle the heat generated - it had been fine for the previous 10 years or so, without issue that they assessed and insured us

racking - too many levels with insufficient sprinklers - it had been fine for the previous 10 years or so, without issue that they assessed and insured us

shelving - needed to be solid metal shelf, not steel mesh / wooden - it had been fine for the previous 10 years or so, without issue that they assessed and insured us

as you can see from my examples above from work, if an insurer decides there is a "perceived risk", alongside increasing premiums, they may also insist on significant changes. I argued til i was blue in the face, but got nowhere with the assessor, who merely said, what was sufficient before is no longer sufficient etc etc

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9478
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13145_1273270974.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13145.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "Thanks MD I wasn’t aware that international games do not count but find the hypocrisy in the RL in just “ignoring” their own guidelines pretty amazing.
I agree with your summary on challenges and would amplify your point 2 where fans potentially will be paying to see their players sitting in the stands rather than on pitch on a regular basis.
I can also envisage more games being “thrown” which will further dilute the overall quality of the sport.

For me the SC should have been raised to acknowledge the need for extra players required within the squad and the number of allowable non fed players should have been increased. First and foremost loop games should have been consigned to history.'"

I agree that games could be thrown - clubs may end up in a position where they can't do anything but.

The clubs simply can't afford to ditch loop games unfortunately. No-one likes them but they're an economic necessity it seems. They can't even increase the number of SL teams in the competition to go with 13 home and 13 away as the broadcast money would be split across the larger number thus everyone gets less.

The salary cap is an interesting one - you could make the argument that with three marquee players now being allowed then the salary cap is bordering on redundant anyway.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Cruncher "I guess where there's no will, there's no way.'"

We can will all we want. Legal precedents have been set, all be it in other countries but the statute of law will transfer, and we are in no position to throw money at a defence either.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29666
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I can’t help but keep going back to the same question ‘will lowering the tackle height actually make the game safer?’ and I just don’t see that it will. I’m fully behind the fact that ‘change has to happen’ but this move feels to me like a change for changes sake, to just be seen to be doing something and the real time results may well prove to have actually made things worse.

Reduced playing time, concussion spotters, increased sit down times etc are all things we can get behind but this tackle height change is something that I believe could do more harm than good and not just because it is getting peoples backs up but because it might actually work in the opposite way to it’s intention.

I saw a professor involved in the process earlier give his number one argument for change and that was that concussions have increased in the last 10 years but that’s an absolute given. The game is far more educated in all things concussion now and it’s being taken far more seriously. In real terms I would be pretty confident that concussions have gone down by a decent percentage in the last 10-20 years, it’s just 20 years ago players were getting on the smelling salts and cracking on and now they don’t (and rightfully so). It is the diagnosis of a concussion that has increased IMO, not the number of concussions themselves. It is impossible to make this sport ‘safe’ but with the banning of the shoulder charge and the protocols already put in place, I think we’ve taken it as far as we can go and at some point you have to say enough is enough. Increase the sit down times, limit the number of days players can play/train etc and have all the spotters you want but it shouldn’t stretch any further than that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "We can will all we want. Legal precedents have been set, all be it in other countries but the statute of law will transfer, and we are in no position to throw money at a defence either.'"

Just out of interest, and this is a genuine question, how do they cope in other heavy contact sports - boxing, MMA etc?

I don't hear about this sort of thing happening there.

In addition, Fozzard and co haven't won their case yet, have they? Or have I missed that? (Again, a genuine question).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Cruncher "Just out of interest, and this is a genuine question, how do they cope in other heavy contact sports - boxing, MMA etc?

I don't hear about this sort of thing happening there.

In addition, Fozzard and co haven't won their case yet, have they? Or have I missed that? (Again, a genuine question).'"

With boxing and MMA (depending on the governing body) they are not allowed to make contact to the head up to a certain age.

They also limit the number of contacts that they are subjected to in sparring over a certain age.

The main issue I believe is the potential instances of exposure to head knocks rugby players get in training and weekly competition.

The frequency of fixtures (weekly for one 30 weeks of the year) increases the risks.

The case being put against the RFL by the former players has not been won no, however the precedent has been set backed by the medical evidence in the case against the NFL.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: MadDogg "I agree that games could be thrown - clubs may end up in a position where they can't do anything but.

The clubs simply can't afford to ditch loop games unfortunately. No-one likes them but they're an economic necessity it seems. They can't even increase the number of SL teams in the competition to go with 13 home and 13 away as the broadcast money would be split across the larger number thus everyone gets less.

The salary cap is an interesting one - you could make the argument that with three marquee players now being allowed then the salary cap is bordering on redundant anyway.'"

If the game really does put player welfare at the top of the tree then reduced income is a potential outcome from the changes and clubs will have to look at other ways of offsetting this reduction e.g. increase spectator pricing, reduce players salaries (less playing time equals lower incomes), improve other income streams etc.

I’ve been thinking about other rule changes that might be required because of the changes. We will have to make tries scored direct from dummy half obsolete because how can a defender tackle on his line a dummy half barging over low a la Kieron Cunningham? In such circumstances every tackle would be a penalty or would the defending team just have to let the dummy half score?
The current 10 metre rule enables both defenders and attackers to build up speed and momentum prior to collision. A move back to 5 metres must surely be reviewed.
Deep kicks from kickoff to defensive line results in high speed collisions as players run the ball back to the oncoming defending team. Maybe we will need to ensure that kickoffs can only go say 10 or fifteen metres?

65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.21240234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
3m
Film game
Wanderer
24m
Fev H Play Off
Bullseye
29m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
30m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ocdstephen
37m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Chris71
39m
Play-off semi-final
56m
Proposed rule changes 2025
rollin thund
Recent
Coach of the Year
Bobby Digita
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
34s
Film game
Wanderer
36s
Staying or Not
rollin thund
1m
Former players
Wanderer
1m
Fev H Play Off
Bullseye
1m
Coach of the Year
Bobby Digita
1m
Shopping list for 2025
ComeOnYouUll
1m
Call for funds
Listenup94
2m
Season 2024
Zoo Zoo Boom
2m
Rumours and signings v9
nathan_rugby
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Proposed rule changes 2025
rollin thund
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bullseye
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Stu M
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
MorePlaymake
TODAY
We are in good hands
God
TODAY
Josh Charnley
Vancouver Le
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +33,028 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 4th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
Sun 22nd Sep
CH 27 Batley28-14Swinton
CH 27 Halifax14-10Bradford
CH 27 Swinton20-22Doncaster
L1 24 Hunslet18-14Midlands
L1 24 Keighley26-22Rochdale
WSL2024 15 LeedsW10-12York V
WSL2024 15 St.HelensW18-4WiganW
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22