OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13145_1273270974.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13145.jpg

Quote: Suzy Banyon "
Quote: Suzy Banyon "The low crowds and crap team is a direct result of Wane, similar to when Alex Ferguson left David Moyes with a team he’d won the league with the year before. Moyes was left with a substandard team as is Lam.

You’re clearly another Wane roundhead who would have him back tomorrow playing his Grey Soviet dull Lada rugby. The funny thing is, apart from the Saints 75-0 and the Leeds 70-0 the worst defeats we’d ever had were with Wane in charge. He never knew how to win a game but knew how not to lose one, by playing negative boring wrestling rugby which worked yes but it’s turned a lot of fans away. How many Wane games were 0-0 at half time? You remember the Widnes 7-0 game? How many tines were we billed under Wane?

I’ve seen enough of Lam to know that our attack is getting better but we need help or need to work on defence that’s for sure, it will be pretty hard for Lam to do anything considering our injury crisis as his methods weren’t going to happen over night. If we had a regular 6 and 7, a proper 9 and Hardaker playing together behind a pack of forwards who run hard and offload then we would be in the top 3.

Just looking, in 2011 in his first season we had an average of 16,000 plus, over 5 years it went down to the figure of last season as 11,000 plus. So 5000 fewer fans per game, how much revenue is that? And that’s a team that’s winning trophies, that’s fans who have voted with the their feet.'"

It'll be interesting to see what the average is this season, with this exciting, score from the scrum base rugby won't it? Because I guarantee it'll be less than last season.'"

The average will likely increase purely off the back of yesterday's crowd.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: Suzy Banyon "It'll be interesting to see what the average is this season, with this exciting, score from the scrum base rugby won't it? Because I guarantee it'll be less than last season.'"

During Wanes tenure they took the fans for granted serving up dire rugby because it didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, theyd finish somewhere thereabouts and win the trophy. But the fans saw through this, being taken for granted along with all the league games and this is a massive reason in why people voted with their feet.

Whether or not I have faith in Lam to carry us forward I think the standard of rugby on show has been miles better, albeit it was good under Wane in his first season, may have been down to Harris.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4168No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26766_1548857449.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26766.jpg

Quote: post "The low crowds and crap team is a direct result of Wane, similar to when Alex Ferguson left David Moyes with a team he’d won the league with the year before. Moyes was left with a substandard team as is Lam.

You’re clearly another Wane roundhead who would have him back tomorrow playing his Grey Soviet dull Lada rugby. The funny thing is, apart from the Saints 75-0 and the Leeds 70-0 the worst defeats we’d ever had were with Wane in charge. He never knew how to win a game but knew how not to lose one, by playing negative boring wrestling rugby which worked yes but it’s turned a lot of fans away. How many Wane games were 0-0 at half time? You remember the Widnes 7-0 game? How many tines were we billed under Wane?

I’ve seen enough of Lam to know that our attack is getting better but we need help or need to work on defence that’s for sure, it will be pretty hard for Lam to do anything considering our injury crisis as his methods weren’t going to happen over night. If we had a regular 6 and 7, a proper 9 and Hardaker playing together behind a pack of forwards who run hard and offload then we would be in the top 3.

Just looking, in 2011 in his first season we had an average of 16,000 plus, over 5 years it went down to the figure of last season as 11,000 plus. So 5000 fewer fans per game, how much revenue is that? And that’s a team that’s winning trophies, that’s fans who have voted with the their feet.'"

I recognise that Wane wasn't perfect and of course he had his faults. I'm not a fan of those close to record defeats either as I'm sure no fan at the club is.

Having said that my point was more aimed at the fact that I'm sick to death of reading about the alleged poor rugby from Wane's Wigan. Yes there were many games were we simply ground out results but there were also many entertaining matches when Wigan produced some top quality RL. I'm not sure if people don't recognise those performances or won't recognise those performances because they did happen under Wane. You speak of the 7-0 win but how about when we pumped Wire at Magic Weekend last year? Battered Saints on Good Friday in 2014? Runs up to and including the play-offs for several seasons? Pretty much the first 10-12 games of last season?

The crowds you point out are an alarming statistic and it's a stat none of us can be happy with and whilst I believe there are many social and economic factors impacting on our attendances there's no question people have voted with their feet. I find the voting with their feet notion almost staggering given the levels of success we've enjoyed. I'd say this is symptomatic of fans thinking they know better than the coaches and just generally never being satisfied - win, lose or draw. There's many of those same people who are critical of Lenagan but I can't say I blame him for cutting back a bit given literally thousands of the so-called loyal fan base have decided they know best and have hit the club in the pocket.

I hope Lam can turn this around and yes we'd all like results AND to be entertained but if it's a choice between the two given limitations in the squad I'd always choose results. It's a results based business. It'd be great to consistently have some razzle-dazzle on show but then again in any way shape or form I personally find winning usurps being entertained.

Lam hasn't been here that long in the grand scheme of things but alarmingly every player since his arrival seems to have gone backwards.

Let's hope Lam and the boys can it around and we can stop debating this and move forward collectively in a positive manner but at the current rate (you spoke about rugby by numbers) the numbers don't lie and they currently spell disaster for Lam.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: post "The low crowds and crap team is a direct result of Wane, similar to when Alex Ferguson left David Moyes with a team he’d won the league with the year before. Moyes was left with a substandard team as is Lam.

2011 wasn't his first season, 2012 was, and that season was fantastic rugby but crowds went down.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: Th'Observer "I recognise that Wane wasn't perfect and of course he had his faults. I'm not a fan of those close to record defeats either as I'm sure no fan at the club is.

Having said that my point was more aimed at the fact that I'm sick to death of reading about the alleged poor rugby from Wane's Wigan. Yes there were many games were we simply ground out results but there were also many entertaining matches when Wigan produced some top quality RL. I'm not sure if people don't recognise those performances or won't recognise those performances because they did happen under Wane. You speak of the 7-0 win but how about when we pumped Wire at Magic Weekend last year? Battered Saints on Good Friday in 2014? Runs up to and including the play-offs for several seasons? Pretty much the first 10-12 games of last season?

The crowds you point out are an alarming statistic and it's a stat none of us can be happy with and whilst I believe there are many social and economic factors impacting on our attendances there's no question people have voted with their feet. I find the voting with their feet notion almost staggering given the levels of success we've enjoyed. I'd say this is symptomatic of fans thinking they know better than the coaches and just generally never being satisfied - win, lose or draw. There's many of those same people who are critical of Lenagan but I can't say I blame him for cutting back a bit given literally thousands of the so-called loyal fan base have decided they know best and have hit the club in the pocket.

I hope Lam can turn this around and yes we'd all like results AND to be entertained but if it's a choice between the two given limitations in the squad I'd always choose results. It's a results based business. It'd be great to consistently have some razzle-dazzle on show but then again in any way shape or form I personally find winning usurps being entertained.

Lam hasn't been here that long in the grand scheme of things but alarmingly every player since his arrival seems to have gone backwards.

Let's hope Lam and the boys can it around and we can stop debating this and move forward collectively in a positive manner but at the current rate (you spoke about rugby by numbers) the numbers don't lie and they currently spell disaster for Lam.'"

In my opinion we need someone more experienced to take on the role of coaching us, someone who can get results but doesn’t play dreadful to watch rugby.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bigredwarrior "We’re only 11 games in and whilst we don’t always get it right, we’re trying to play much more rugby. It’s higher risk rugby that I’m seeing.
I’ve seen forwards try to offload. I’ve seen both halves playing on both sides of the pitch. I’ve seen us go from one flank to other in 3 passes. I’ve seen forwards trying to make metes after collision. I’ve seen far less predictable plays such as as winger, winger, centre, 2nd row drop off, kick which was our standard play under Wane.
As I’ve said, we don’t always get it right but we’re trying. We’ve got players out of position week in week out and with the right players brought in, players Lam trusts, we could really see a huge improvement.'"

You say only 11 games in, but that plus a pre-season is a substantial amount of time for a team to embed under a new coach.
Honestly mate I don't know what you're seeing. Take the Saints game for example, halves were still split, movement was generally poor and the team looked pretty clueless in attack.

I pray Lam can turn this around, but currently we sit joint rock bottom. I know we're suffering injuries, but so did teams under Wane etc, and I don't think we've ever looked consistently this bad in attack and defence.

I'm not saying Lam can't turn it around, I'd love nothing more to see him take us to Old Trafford, but currently we look really really way off, in all departments.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "You say only 11 games in, but that plus a pre-season is a substantial amount of time for a team to embed under a new coach.
Honestly mate I don't know what you're seeing. Take the Saints game for example, halves were still split, movement was generally poor and the team looked pretty clueless in attack.

I pray Lam can turn this around, but currently we sit joint rock bottom. I know we're suffering injuries, but so did teams under Wane etc, and I don't think we've ever looked consistently this bad in attack and defence.

I'm not saying Lam can't turn it around, I'd love nothing more to see him take us to Old Trafford, but currently we look really really way off, in all departments.'"

I think even the best coach in the world would struggle with our team at present, we are losing players during games almost every game.

If we are to stave off relegation, we need a couple more players to bolster the squad. Like a Quentin Pongia style signing, or a Nick Graham style signing. An experienced Aussie/Kiwi who will do a job until the end of the season in the forwards.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60422_1310296726.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60422.jpg

why would someone who has resigned want to come back? I walked away from a job of 15 years and I would never go back there, unless of course I was offered £1million but even then I would hand my notice in after a week.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2412
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24692.jpg
[b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Designer/piemandan:3ldafglw]Custom Wigan RL skins for Firefox[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw] [quote="BBC":3ldafglw]St Helens, due to move out of their 120-year-old ground at the end of the season, desperately wanted to mark the occasion with a victory in front of a full house.... And Wigan were left celebrating inside the enemy camp for the first time since September 2003.[/quote:3ldafglw] [b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.pond5.com/artist/dan_mcmlxxxviii:3ldafglw]Sunset Stock Footage[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw]:24692.jpg

Quote: goobervision "Strange, I saw plenty of them.'"

.. but only when we'd thrown SW's plan out of the window usually.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "You say only 11 games in, but that plus a pre-season is a substantial amount of time for a team to embed under a new coach.

I'm not saying Lam can't turn it around, I'd love nothing more to see him take us to Old Trafford, but currently we look really really way off, in all departments.'"

I think it’s unfair to judge us on the Saints game. They’re clearly the benchmark in the league and took Warrington apart the week before.
I don’t think the coaching let us down as much as lack of quality players. We created opportunities but didn’t take them. The glaring example was when Isa bombed the overlap we created on the right, something he did several times at Castleford too!
Go back a few weeks and we were brilliant in attack and nilled Catalans. We showed glimpses of class against Salford, we were excellent for an hour against Roosters.
I accept we’re nowhere near where we need to be but I don’t put that down to the coaching. I put it down to too many players in the side who are simply not good enough. That coupled with the number of young players being thrown in with little experience around them, being played through necessity rather than choice.
I’ve said all along that I’d like Lam to stay on but I’ve always qualified it by saying with a few players being brought in who he trusts to deliver his style of play. To put our current situation down to him alone is just wrong in my view. He’s trying to coach with his hands tied behind his back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1029
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I think it’s unfair to judge us on the Saints game. They’re clearly the benchmark in the league and took Warrington apart the week before.
I don’t think the coaching let us down as much as lack of quality players. We created opportunities but didn’t take them. The glaring example was when Isa bombed the overlap we created on the right, something he did several times at Castleford too!
Go back a few weeks and we were brilliant in attack and nilled Catalans. We showed glimpses of class against Salford, we were excellent for an hour against Roosters.
I accept we’re nowhere near where we need to be but I don’t put that down to the coaching. I put it down to too many players in the side who are simply not good enough. That coupled with the number of young players being thrown in with little experience around them, being played through necessity rather than choice.
I’ve said all along that I’d like Lam to stay on but I’ve always qualified it by saying with a few players being brought in who he trusts to deliver his style of play. To put our current situation down to him alone is just wrong in my view. He’s trying to coach with his hands tied behind his back.'"

+1

RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60422_1310296726.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60422.jpg

Quote: Bigredwarrior " He’s trying to coach with his hands tied behind his back.'"
Welcome to Wanes world..... see what I did there?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1911
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75893_1553638551.jpg
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75893.jpg

Quote: Mash Butty "Welcome to Wanes world..... see what I did there?'"

Excellent

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I think it’s unfair to judge us on the Saints game. They’re clearly the benchmark in the league and took Warrington apart the week before.
I’ve said all along that I’d like Lam to stay on but I’ve always qualified it by saying with a few players being brought in who he trusts to deliver his style of play. To put our current situation down to him alone is just wrong in my view. He’s trying to coach with his hands tied behind his back.'"

In Isas defence, Hankinson was far too deep when attacking the Saints line, if he’d have been in the right position he may have caught it. Unfortunately Hankinson had read the ‘1983 Rothmans Woodbines guide to Wing Play’ prior to kick off and was too deep.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

And this further illustrates my point about our current situation not being down to coaching. Hankinson is a centre, Isa is a 2nd row. Both out of position and bombed an excellent chance that was created. Had the chance been on the other side I’d argue the ball wouldn't have ended up in touch and we’d likely have scored but we’ll never know.

115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.97802734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
39m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
49m