Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

I can understand ILs reasoning for exploring London for additional income streams but Millwall is the last place I would have expected save say Cyrstal Palace for a game in London.
I would be amazed if there are more than 2,000 at the game unless there is a considerable budget available from Wigan and SL on advertising and/or marketing ie free tickets.
What time is the last train from Euston on match day and can anyone also confirm if it is feasible to catch the train subject to time required to get from the stadium to Euston from the end of the game?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1406No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Is Lenegan turning into a bigger egotistical maniac than Whelan? Why do we as a club have to give up considerable leverage in the league 'for the greater good?! What are other clubs doing to grow the game outside the heartlands? I just feel like this whole concept has no common sense or value to us. Top off the fact it's at Millwall?! Havging been there on numerous occasions I've not seen many problems but it could be done in far better areas to market. Absolute non-starter this idea and I hope it disappears as fast as it's arrived. Get the home games at home and allow the vast majority to see our team and maybe run a sevens comp or something down there with everyone involved.

RankPostsTeam
International Star932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I can understand ILs reasoning for exploring London for additional income streams but Millwall is the last place I would have expected save say Cyrstal Palace for a game in London.
I would be amazed if there are more than 2,000 at the game unless there is a considerable budget available from Wigan and SL on advertising and/or marketing ie free tickets.
What time is the last train from Euston on match day and can anyone also confirm if it is feasible to catch the train subject to time required to get from the stadium to Euston from the end of the game?'"

Unsure, What i can say though is that i work in the rail industry, both office and on track. The crossrail project requires the shutdown of certain lines at the weekend after certain times and affects most routes. I seem to remember the Latics fans having immense problems getting back after both the F.A Cup final and The Charity Shield.

That's what i was saying, The logistics of it all have been well and truly an afterthought. We have the crossrail project across London, There are HS2 works being done for the East Coast and if you come further north there are works around Birmingham and Manchester planned. Manchester Victoria is a no go so people will be relying (if they can get there) on 1 or 2 trains out of Piccadilly. That doesn't include the works (that i know of) going on in and around Preston and Bolton (Blackrod) That probably doesn't affect the West Coast Main Line much but there will be a knock on effect. Trains are out of the question i would imagine. If people can get one back they will be very lucky but it's Russian Roulette for 200 miles on a Saturday evening.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "Unsure, What i can say though is that i work in the rail industry, both office and on track. The crossrail project requires the shutdown of certain lines at the weekend after certain times and affects most routes. I seem to remember the Latics fans having immense problems getting back after both the F.A Cup final and The Charity Shield.

That's what i was saying, The logistics of it all have been well and truly an afterthought. We have the crossrail project across London, There are HS2 works being done for the East Coast and if you come further north there are works around Birmingham and Manchester planned. Manchester Victoria is a no go so people will be relying (if they can get there) on 1 or 2 trains out of Piccadilly. That doesn't include the works (that i know of) going on in and around Preston and Bolton (Blackrod) That probably doesn't affect the West Coast Main Line much but there will be a knock on effect. Trains are out of the question i would imagine. If people can get one back they will be very lucky but it's Russian Roulette for 200 miles on a Saturday evening.'"

Thanks for the feedback.
I only go to London via train therefore, if this isn't possible ie same day return I'm out. If that is the case I will contacting lenigan and asking for a credit for my missed home game.
If people can't get a same day return via train then lenigan needs his head examining.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "Unsure, What i can say though is that i work in the rail industry, both office and on track. The crossrail project requires the shutdown of certain lines at the weekend after certain times and affects most routes. I seem to remember the Latics fans having immense problems getting back after both the F.A Cup final and The Charity Shield.

That's what i was saying, The logistics of it all have been well and truly an afterthought. We have the crossrail project across London, There are HS2 works being done for the East Coast and if you come further north there are works around Birmingham and Manchester planned. Manchester Victoria is a no go so people will be relying (if they can get there) on 1 or 2 trains out of Piccadilly. That doesn't include the works (that i know of) going on in and around Preston and Bolton (Blackrod) That probably doesn't affect the West Coast Main Line much but there will be a knock on effect. Trains are out of the question i would imagine. If people can get one back they will be very lucky but it's Russian Roulette for 200 miles on a Saturday evening.'"

The Latics FA cup games kicked off at 5.15pm which caused the main issues as there wasn't enough time to get from the stadium to Euston (I ended up staying over because of it).

The last train to Wigan is scheduled for 8.31pm so with the game finishing at around 4.45pm I'd imagine people will be fine if they want to use the train (although they may face some delays going off what you're saying).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/HAFLING2.JPG
BANG THE DRUM.............BARMY ARMY:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/HAFLING2.JPG

Brilliant news if you live in London, cant get to see a Rugby League match ( oh yes you can...there's a team called LONDON BRONCOS, who nobody there seems to go watching or even cares about) and is a closet Warriors fan ( so big a fan that they cant make a one off effort to pop up to Wigan to watch a game, but prefer to wait until they play on their doorstep ).
Not so brilliant news for the regular fans who will miss a game because they cant afford to travel.

Chairman...I have no idea where your going on this, but it certainly isn't to the benefit of your regular punters or the team who seem to have travel sickness this year. I just hope it doesn't cost us 2 valuable points.

EVERY MINUTE MATTERS....or did you miss that bit?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1073
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70498_1365965672.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70498.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "The last train to Wigan is scheduled for 8.31pm so with the game finishing at around 4.45pm I'd imagine people will be fine if they want to use the train'"

The next question has to be, how many fans, plus regular passengers, would said train accommodate?

RankPostsTeam
International Star932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "The Latics FA cup games kicked off at 5.15pm which caused the main issues as there wasn't enough time to get from the stadium to Euston (I ended up staying over because of it).

The last train to Wigan is scheduled for 8.31pm so with the game finishing at around 4.45pm I'd imagine people will be fine if they want to use the train (although they may face some delays going off what you're saying).'"

To be honest, i didn't realise the game finished that early. That is an early last train from Euston all the same but ample time to get out of London. That would arrive in Wigan around 10-10.30pm There shouldn't be any problems going through work sites at that time. So scrap all what i said, it isn't relevant that early icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

I would almost certainly get return tickets asap though to guarantee a spot on it

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: wigginswarrior "The next question has to be, how many fans, plus regular passengers, would said train accommodate?'"

Enough when considering how many will use it (it's enough when we've played CC finals at Wembley)and there's others prior to that which people would make comfortably as well.

There may be some issues with this game being in London but train travel isn't one of them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12150.jpg
It's just WIGAN, nothing else. Get rid of that stupid nickname.:12150.jpg

Quote: Bert's Medal "Wigan have specifically targeted this particular date for the match, since England are playing at San Marino at 5pm that afternoon. That means that there are no Premier League or Championship football fixtures that weekend.'"

What? It just gets worse. Doesn't that mean that a fair chunk of the potential 'local' target audience (football and general sports fans) will be watching England on the telly, instead of turning out to watch an unfamiliar sport in a notoriously unwelcoming stadium...?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

This on the Millwall board made me chuckleFrom their point of view...bit of a strange choice. The Den is one of the easiest stadiums in London to get to, being literally next to an overground station, plus within walking distance of 3 tube stations...however, it's not exactly the venue that will attract lots of curious families or even many northern ex pats...which is surely the whole point of this exercise. After all, most northern football clubs bring on average 500 odd less to us than they do to more suburban London grounds like Charlton & Palace.

The idea of loads of Johnny Vegas types wandering around Bermondsey is like a Monty Python sketch it's so surreal. '"

Although as Vegas is a Stainer, they really should get their facts straight.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Ian Lenegan has shot himself in the foot here.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Bostwick "I think Ian Lenegan has shot himself in the foot here.'"

Even I think this is a sack of kak..... Bollocks to doing something for RL as a whole, we should have this game at home.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: Wigan Peer "Even I think this is a sack of kak..... rubbish to doing something for RL as a whole, we should have this game at home.'"

The thing that interests me most about this is the thought that it is somehow great for RL as a whole playing a drab, atmosphere free match in a dodgy part of London.

Is IL really so vain as to think anyone in London will even know this is happening? If he wants to entertain London corporates, take them to the Olympic stadium for England v NZ.

I work in London, I regularly entertain clients at sports events in London, there is not a cat in hells chance I would invite anyone along to this.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "The thing that interests me most about this is the thought that it is somehow great for RL as a whole playing a drab, atmosphere free match in a dodgy part of London.

Is IL really so vain as to think anyone in London will even know this is happening? If he wants to entertain London corporates, take them to the Olympic stadium for England v NZ.

I work in London, I regularly entertain clients at sports events in London, there is not a cat in hells chance I would invite anyone along to this.'"

I have no idea mate... He must have something going on for him to do it. If not, then i'm really at a loss as to why we are doing this.. Expletives are of course banned from use here, but pluck the rest of RL, the rest of RL loves to see us fail.

105 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
105 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.12255859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
7m
Decision on the field
NSW
14m