OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22059_1287313089.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22059.gif

Quote: Wigan Peer "So did everybody else, with the exception of Cas...'"

Leeds and Saints have better teams this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: Wigg'n "Disgraceful stats from all of our props (Pettybourne less so). Outplayed by Eamon O'Carroll ffs.
6 missed tackles by Gelling, 5 by O'Loughlin is poor.
1 clean break in the whole game.
Matty Smith conceding 3 penalties - what..?'"

Gelling has missed an awful lot of tackles all season, his defence is very poor at times. O'Loughlin hasn't been himself this season at all either or certainly hasn't been what we have come to expect.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach197No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

2 seasons ago we was superb in the league and won the hub cap which in my opinion is pants when you don't go on and win gf.Last season poorer in league and won the double its about winning when it matters.Yes people pay alot of money for all games i gave up my season ticket because of the structure of the league.We will possibly lose are next two in my opinion aswell but if we get to gf you will all be there and all will be forgotten.

RankPostsTeam
International Star295No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ziggy Stardust "Leeds and Saints have better teams this year.'"

We (the giants) have a better side too in my opinion.
Salford certainly do.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20441
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1wlcmlhe][color=#800000:1wlcmlhe]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2024 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2024 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1wlcmlhe][/b:1wlcmlhe]:

Quote: Ziggy Stardust "Leeds and Saints have better teams this year.'"

But both have been terrible on occasions this year, just less so than Wigan.
Saints have had a couple of hammerings against Wire & Catalans and there were doubts to Brown's coaching abilities. I think we could have taken top spot at a canter but again the performances in the last third of the season has put paid to that. I do think its planned (despite SW's comments), just like it was last year.
Now last year we got away with it due to the end result, this season he will be judged on performance and results in the playoffs.

Its a risky strategy but with high reward, however you gamble with supporters patience when it comes to purchasing season tickets, especially those half season tickets (IIRC last season only one out of the 7 home gamess were won), I bet sales in those took a nosedive!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: MattyB "But both have been terrible on occasions this year, just less so than Wigan.
Saints have had a couple of hammerings against Wire & Catalans and there were doubts to Brown's coaching abilities. I think we could have taken top spot at a canter but again the performances in the last third of the season has put paid to that. I do think its planned (despite SW's comments), just like it was last year.
Now last year we got away with it due to the end result, this season he will be judged on performance and results in the playoffs.

Its a risky strategy but with high reward, however you gamble with supporters patience when it comes to purchasing season tickets, especially those half season tickets (IIRC last season only one out of the 7 home gamess were won), I bet sales in those took a nosedive!'"

Season ticket numbers and average attendances are well down on where they were 2 or 3 seasons ago. It's fair enough "playing the system" if it works, but fans get more and more disillusioned with poor performances and will be less inclined to attend every home game or travel away.

The comparisons with last season are a bit wide of the mark anyway, last season we were clearly coasting as we were still in both competitions. This year we have had two weeks off to get our preparation right and make a big push for the league leaders. We've thrown that away now and could well drop out of the top 4 before the playoffs start.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "Season ticket numbers and average attendances are well down on where they were 2 or 3 seasons ago. It's fair enough "playing the system" if it works, but fans get more and more disillusioned with poor performances and will be less inclined to attend every home game or travel away.

The comparisons with last season are a bit wide of the mark anyway, last season we were clearly coasting as we were still in both competitions. This year we have had two weeks off to get our preparation right and make a big push for the league leaders. We've thrown that away now and could well drop out of the top 4 before the playoffs start.'"

From the moment we had top 4 last season we costed the remainder of the weekly rounds and rotated the team to give players rest and get them ready for the play offs. This season we have struggled at times and look poor against mediocre sides who were beaten by our weakened sides last season. Either we are holding a lot back or we are a lot weaker than we think. And for me our 1-17 is not on par with last season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1029
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "Season ticket numbers and average attendances are well down on where they were 2 or 3 seasons ago. It's fair enough "playing the system" if it works, but fans get more and more disillusioned with poor performances and will be less inclined to attend every home game or travel away.

The comparisons with last season are a bit wide of the mark anyway, last season we were clearly coasting as we were still in both competitions. This year we have had two weeks off to get our preparation right and make a big push for the league leaders. We've thrown that away now and could well drop out of the top 4 before the playoffs start.'"

Watched Wigan and RL for the last 62 years and been a season ticket holder for the last 40 but now im thinking that this is the last time im renewing my season ticket.IMO RL has been going downhill since the introduction of SL the games are no longer competetive the Challenge Cup is not the same as it was before SKY and RL went the way with the GF concept.With the new league structure coming in next year I dont think is the answer tried before in I think Belguim and the Scotland FL threw it out.I never missed a game home or away when we played in Winter something to do to pass the winter months over now I have not the passion any more I think RL is dying on its feet.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2327
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Wow can't believe some of the posts on here , my opinion is whoever wins the Wigan v Leeds game next week and gets in the top 4 will win the comp . No one will fear Cas or Saints who are going to be first and second . You are still favourites with the bookies to win the Grand Final and despite poor recent performances i reckon from now on in you will be back in the big match frame of mind .

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Wigan will be at old trafford. I'm sure of it. They are saving themselves (mentally as much as physically). The players have been there and done it, so has the coach. I think the bookies have wigan as favourites as well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

It might not be the performance that Shaun would like but after several results like it one has to conclude that it is a typical Wigan performance. It remains to be seen whether they are playing the system again but either way I am losing interest in the games. I usually like going to away games but this season I decided not to go to most of them. All the ones they have played badly in like Bradford, Wakefield, Widnes etc I avoided and am jolly pleased I did so. Let's hope that the new system next year will change club's attitude to the league.

I now hope that Cas finish top as they seem like the only team that has played consistently well throughout the season. If Saints finish top then good luck to them but it says something about the state of the league when the top team has played so poorly in many games. Even against Leeds they were completely dominated for most of the game. At least last year nobody could argue that Huddersfield were not worthy of finishing top despite other teams playing the system.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3734
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4067_1617434324.jpeg
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4067.jpeg

Quote: jaws1 "Watched Wigan and RL for the last 62 years and been a season ticket holder for the last 40 but now im thinking that this is the last time im renewing my season ticket.IMO RL has been going downhill since the introduction of SL the games are no longer competetive the Challenge Cup is not the same as it was before SKY and RL went the way with the GF concept.With the new league structure coming in next year I dont think is the answer tried before in I think Belguim and the Scotland FL threw it out.I never missed a game home or away when we played in Winter something to do to pass the winter months over now I have not the passion any more I think RL is dying on its feet.'"

I couldn't agree more, since the introduction of summer rugby the game has gone on the decline and a rapid decline at that. I've watched wigan since 1980 and have been a season ticket holder for at least 25yrs but for the last three or four seasons its been an effort to attend matches. Gone are the days when you couldn't wait for christmas & new year, not for the festivities but because it was Saints & Wire coming up and they were games i'd waited all year for. Then the rounds of the challenge cup would start, sat near the tv or radio waiting for the draw with fingers crossed hoping for a home tie, we would even do our own "draw rehearsal" beforehand to try and force a bit of luck our way, knowing that if we drew a big name at home the sold out signs would be up as after all this was "the challenge cup" the trophy everyone wanted. But now it just means nothing, no one is interested anymore, even the final fails to sell out, you no longer need to camp out for tickets two days before they went on sale in fear of missing out on a ticket and thats when wembley held 95000, you can basically walk up to the stadium on game day and buy one now.
All everyone is concerned about these days is being in the grand final, people aren't even concerned about the playoff games clubs basically have to beg supporters to attend them. I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be done about the game, i would at the drop of a hat vote to return to winter rugby at least then we would be able to again witness the touring teams in a three game test series along with club v country games that (especially at wigan) had an atmosphere that made your hair stand on end, but alas.....this ain't never gonna happen. I feel sorry for the younger generation of supporters because they know no different, however i do and believe me i know which i prefer.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7558
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Am I completely missing something here?

Why on Earth would switching back to a Winter season make the game better and increase attendances? And why would it mean we would see touring teams again?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3734
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4067_1617434324.jpeg
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4067.jpeg

Quote: Wigg'n "Am I completely missing something here?

Why on Earth would switching back to a Winter season make the game better and increase attendances? And why would it mean we would see touring teams again?'"

Because both the NRL and super league both run parallel now that we play in the summer, tours used to start at the end of the aussie season and the beginning of ours and vice versa when GB toured down under, all we have to look forward now is to tri nations which to be fair is rubbish. As for attendances has summer rugby really increased attendances? Answer: No it hasn't. Has the game improved since we reverted to summer rugby? Answer: No it hasn't. Do the same four teams still win everything as per pre 1996? Answer: Yes they do, Have we improved on the international scene since the switch? Answer: No, Australia still win at a canter.
I know we will never revert back to winter rugby but when we all look back and say where everything went wrong i think you will find that 1996 will be high up on the list as one of the biggest mistakes the game as a whole made.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: Wigg'n "Am I completely missing something here?

Why on Earth would switching back to a Winter season make the game better and increase attendances? And why would it mean we would see touring teams again?'"

Yeh that's not something I agree with either. Summer rugby as a whole isn't the problem, it's how the league and cup are integrated within the season, and the fact that teams don't need to be consistently competitive to eventually challenge for the title. I do think next season one of the big problems will be addressed, in that you can't drop off and risk dropping out of the top 4. Maybe it hasn't gone far enough to sufficiently reward finishing top, but it is much better than what we have had since the top 8 PO system was introduced.

I do think with the restructuring of the league next season the timing of the challenge cup should have been changed also. At this time of the season fans are expected to shell out for too many games, and fans inevitably pick and choose and hold out for the biggest games so crowds for the regular PO games and the CCSFs suffer. From next season it is also going to mean that the cup final is going to be smack bang in the middle of the "Super 8's" stage, which is ridiculous IMO. Moving the cup final back to the spring would help this.

With regards to our current form, it's difficult to tell whether we are biding our time ready for a big push in the POs or if something has gone wrong behind the scenes with our preparation. Regardless of comparisons with our squad in previous seasons, there is still a hell of a lot of quality in this season's squad and some of the performances can't simply be explained by "the team's not good enough". Around this time last season I categorically stated we wouldn't be anywhere near the GF, and right now I'd be tempted to say the same, but if this group of players can reach full form and fitness they are more than capable of competing with Leeds, Saints, Warrington, Huddersfield and Castleford in the playoffs.

132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
132 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.43798828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Lord Tony Sm
33m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
44m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
54m
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
Recent
Man of Steel
matt_wire
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Season 2024
tomtom84
1m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
1m
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
1m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
1m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Lord Tony Sm
2m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
2m
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
2m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,019 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22