FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Apart from Bowens' try.....
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29596
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Dudson has never kicked on from when we first signed him. He got himself fit so fair play to him but he's never used that as a positive. He doesn't run his weight, his defence is suspect and his discipline is poor. I've been waiting for him to have that moment where the penny drops like it did with somebody like Sam Moa at Hull but it doesn't look like happening.

It's a shame because physically he's got everything he needs.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: ShortArse "the point of the SL is to make the play-offs and ensure that over the season you learn your best setup, and protect your best players for the play-offs.
Winning against London and learning that a few players are not up to it (Dudson) but others (Williams) are worth perservering with, is invaluable.

I dont want us to win the LLS and enter the play-offs with green backups and a word out 1st XIII'"

That would be true if Wane was playing a computer game caled "SL Championship manager" or something where the only person he had to please was himself.

Meanwhile back in the real world sport is supposed to be about entertainment and the fans want entertaining.

The majority of fans don't sit there thinking yet another naff disjointed league performance doesn't matter.

If it[i really[/i doesn't matter the fans will simply stop going and eventually we really won't have a team worth watching.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "I fully agree with what you are saying about being in a rebuilding process.

Unfortunately the fact that we are in our current position is one the reasons for fans being peed off. We should NEVER have been allowed to slump into our current position. It was only 2010 when we had a world class coach, a quality assistant and a team brimming with quality young players set to put a decade of dominance in the history books.'"

I completely agree. Never mind 2010, we have gone from double winners to a rebuilding process in an off season. That is just poor. Fans can see this and are frustrated when it manifests itself by poor performances against the liles of London with not that many changes to the team.

Quote: sergeant pepper "Fans aren't muggs. They can see other clubs keeping hold of their best talent but yet the complete opposite happening at Wigan. Fans aren't going to be happy watching us go 10-0 down to London knowing that a few years ago we had a team that would rip them apart and smash them in defence.

The Wigan club should be looking more at themselves rather than slating their own fans.'"

Many predicted problems at Warrington as they hung onto players too long. Our problems are because we don't hold onto players long enough and/or manage the departure of key players well enough.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1704
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61641_1313077623.png
[color=#FF0000:18ol665r]A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final[/color:18ol665r]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61641.png

If we get too many "trial" games where the coach is putting in too many back-up players fans especially season ticket holders will begin to think why bother paying for a season ticket. They will get a membership card and pick and choose the games they want to go and see based on the 19 named 48 hours before the game.

I have been a ST holder for 30+ years now and this season is the first time I that I will consciously pick which away games to not bother attending based upon the team put on the park. Whether I carry this forward to next season will depend on the performances this year and the clubs policy on retaining and replacing top players...

I don't want to watch the club turn into a feeder for the NRL......

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

I agree 100% with your last 2 posts Dave. The turnover of players has to stop, all the excitement of being Champions is being eroded. When we were rubbish it didn't matter that players came and went because well, we were rubbish anyway!

In 2010 we got one new player and a new coach, we won the title with a settled squad.

2011-2013 - ok we had some comings and goings but we still managed to hold together a strong core of a squad. The incomings were exciting young players that were phased in; Tomkins, Farrell, Charnley. At the same time our longer-standing players were hitting their peak; O'Loughlin, Hansen, Richards. Even the likes of Tuson and Mossop, not world beaters but they should have been held on to. What do other clubs do that Wigan can't?

This season has been the tipping point for me. There was a time when you could easily reel off Wigan's best 13/17 without even thinking about it. Now, who knows?!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: DaveO "I completely agree. Never mind 2010, we have gone from double winners to a rebuilding process in an off season. That is just poor. Fans can see this and are frustrated when it manifests itself by poor performances against the liles of London with not that many changes to the team.

Many predicted problems at Warrington as they hung onto players too long. Our problems are because we don't hold onto players long enough and/or manage the departure of key players well enough.'"

I agree with your argument to an extent, but a lot of our double winning season was made up of poor and lacklustre performances. We lost 7 out of our last 9 regular SL games, but ultimately it didn't really matter as we picked up both major trophies. I think this has resulted in a lot of fans become disillusioned with the weekly rounds, which is why we have seen a drop in our average attendance and number of ST holders.

It is the current league system that is flawed and is allowing teams to peak at the right time of the season. In 2011, we were the current champions and added Finch, Hoffman and Lima to a largely unchanged squad and ended up completely dropping off at the business end of the season, so it is not just a recruitment issue that is causing our poor performances atm, and we don't really know what effect the WCC has had.

I'm not saying for one minute that I expect it to all come good and we'll end up doing the double again, but there needs to be some perspective in how we're currently playing and look at is as a season as a whole. Playing as badly as we have, we've still won 6 of our last 7, and that includes being 6 seconds from victory at Cas.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I agree with your argument to an extent, but a lot of our double winning season was made up of poor and lacklustre performances. We lost 7 out of our last 9 regular SL games, but ultimately it didn't really matter as we picked up both major trophies. I think this has resulted in a lot of fans become disillusioned with the weekly rounds, which is why we have seen a drop in our average attendance and number of ST holders. '"

The league structure is a problem but it will only be so if the clubs treat it in a way that disrespects the league. As I said in my previous postThat would be true if Wane was playing a computer game called "SL Championship manager" or something where the only person he had to please was himself.

Meanwhile back in the real world sport is supposed to be about entertainment and the fans want entertaining.
[/i

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "It is the current league system that is flawed and is allowing teams to peak at the right time of the season. In 2011, we were the current champions and added Finch, Hoffman and Lima to a largely unchanged squad and ended up completely dropping off at the business end of the season, so it is not just a recruitment issue that is causing our poor performances atm, and we don't really know what effect the WCC has had.
'"

2011 was a successful season as we won the cup so I am not sure of your point here. Dropping off was not good but not many teams have done the double.

Our own player drain started after the cup win with Joel leaving and I think it culminated at the end of last season with just too many of quality having gone since then.

I also think this comment from Orrell lad is very trueThe turnover of players has to stop, all the excitement of being Champions is being eroded.[/i

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I'm not saying for one minute that I expect it to all come good and we'll end up doing the double again, but there needs to be some perspective in how we're currently playing and look at is as a season as a whole. Playing as badly as we have, we've still won 6 of our last 7, and that includes being 6 seconds from victory at Cas.'"

If we win either major trophy fans will to a degree forget the bad games but that doesn't mean they won't view next season selectively in terms of games to watch

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The league structure is a problem but it will only be so if the clubs treat it in a way that disrespects the league. As I said in my previous postThat would be true if Wane was playing a computer game called "SL Championship manager" or something where the only person he had to please was himself.

[/i

2011 was a successful season as we won the cup so I am not sure of your point here. Dropping off was not good but not many teams have done the double.

Our own player drain started after the cup win with Joel leaving and I think it culminated at the end of last season with just too many of quality having gone since then.

I also think this comment from Orrell lad is very trueThe turnover of players has to stop, all the excitement of being Champions is being eroded.[/i

If we win either major trophy fans will to a degree forget the bad games but that doesn't mean they won't view next season selectively in terms of games to watch'"

I think in the Madge/Wane era some of the best and most entertaining rugby we've played was around this time 2 years ago (beating Sts in cup and Magic, 50 on Leeds at Headingley etc), but ultimately we were beaten by Leeds in both semis and ended up with nowt apart from LLS, it's not a case of disrespecting the league, it's been proven that peaking at the right time and not going hell for leather in the weekly rounds is the correct tactic under this current system. Do you think Leeds fans would swap the recent 5th place finishes for the GFs and CCFs they've been in? The system is the major problem and thankfully it's being changed to one that actually rewards finishing higher in the league.

I completely agree with you and Orrell Lad about the player drain, I wish we were still watching a team that had Sam and Joel, Hansen, Mossop in, and I've been less than impressed with some of our recruitment over the last few seasons, and yes this has resulted in a drop in the average attendance and ST holders. I, personally, now just have a Loyal 18 membership and pick and choose games, this is down to a combination of work commitments and waining interest in the weekly rounds. Hopefully a 12 team league will lead to fewer games of the standard of Friday night and a greater emphasis on playing well week-in, week-out.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1704
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61641_1313077623.png
[color=#FF0000:18ol665r]A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final[/color:18ol665r]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61641.png

wish the new format next year was:-

week one
Qualifying Semi
1 v 2 winner to final
Elimination playoff
3 v 4 loser out

week two
Loser of 1 v 2 at home to winner of 3 v 4 winner to final

week three

The Final

that way coming 1st or 2nd means something, 3rd and 4th have to win 2 on the bounce to make final

week 2

RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60223_1310112970.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60223.jpg

Next year it is a straight knockout 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 so finishing top 2 certainly will mean something.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

After we played the Roosters, Radlinski posted a blog saying the loss had led the management to re-evaluate how they needed to approach moulding the Wigan team - to win the SL is one thing, but to take it to the Aussies and win needs a different approach. Now whether that's from a change in attitude, training or personnel I think this year's recruitment drive (not to mention who we get rid of) is going to make for interesting viewing...

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "Next year it is a straight knockout 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 so finishing top 2 certainly will mean something.'"

I know but the previous post by pie.warrior is something I advocated late last year when all the restructuring debate was going on.

That system would really reward top spot, and to some extent second, and more importantly make it harder to win from third or fourth. Under that system it would be impossible for a 3 v 4 Grand Final.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "Next year it is a straight knockout 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 so finishing top 2 certainly will mean something.'"

I think that is too big a reward for 3 & 4. One game away from a GF for finishing 4th? This is just a cup competition and I think a playoff should do as others have suggested and make it harder than that for the lower finished teams to get to the GF.

I don't think this will do anything to improve the fans views of playoffs in general.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg

There probably are better ways of doing a 4 team playoff but I think the fact there will be more games during the season has been taken in to account so there is only going to be one round of playoff games before the GF. The fact there will only be 4 teams that qualify will mean it is less likely a team can accrue points early then take their foot off the gas because doing that would risk dropping out of the top 4 altogether.

I also question whether a week off for the team going straight through the final (in pie warrior's suggestion) is much of a reward, that part of the season is about building momentum so a week off could end up actually being a disadvantage.

I know the system coming in next year isn't perfect but it's much better than what we currently have. It should result in more games with a higher intensity, more emphasis on winning the league and no reward for mediocrity. The playoffs are nice and simple, no 2nd chances, just a simple 1v4, 2v3 knockout to reach the final.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15444
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I also question whether a week off for the team going straight through the final (in pie warrior's suggestion) is much of a reward, that part of the season is about building momentum so a week off could end up actually being a disadvantage.'"

Since the beginning of SL, 12 out of the 21 times a team has earned a week off during the play offs, they have gone on to win the following week. I'm not sure whether that proves anything either way to be fair.

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.82275390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Hudds
BigTime
18m
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
30m
Film game
Wanderer
38m
Call for funds
Listenup94
41m
RD 25 Hull FC H
leeds owl
46m
This weeks disciplinary
Captain Hook
47m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
48m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
60m
Lee Briers joins St Helens coaching staff
Wires71
Recent
Who do we want in the play-offs
karetaker
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
19s
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
22s
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
23s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
26s
Max
PopTart
28s
karetaker
30s
RD 25 Hull FC H
leeds owl
31s
Call for funds
Listenup94
34s
Ken Rollin
PopTart
44s
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
7pm
PopTart
TODAY
karetaker
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
TODAY
Ken Rollin
PopTart
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
AdamH
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,588 ↑4180,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20