Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Serginho "The Pro Gelling crew on this forum are unbelievable at times. Fans who reply, who for any reason don't like Gelling, get shot down in flames and called idiots and alike? There is no right answer and everybody is entitled to their opinion. To say if he was English people would be behind him and earlier posters also playing a race angle to a simple rugby debate is ignorant and childish.

Karl Pryce was English. Karl Pryce's try scoring record was exceptional. I was still front of the queue saying he was not good enough for Wigan, which he wasn't. And it is my opinion, and the opinion of many others on here, that Anthony Gelling is not and never will meet the standard required to be a starter in an elite super league team.

If you don't agree with our opinions then tough.'"

Karl Pryce wasn't being played played out of position, he also would have got more leeway had he been a Wiganer but in truth to compare him to Gelling is harsh IMO. The one thing Gelling doesn't lack is heart and its his bottle and enthusiasm that should buy him some patience from supporters IMO. He clearly got things to work on but it's equally clear he has real talent. He has played 3 or 4 matches this season with gaps of a number of weeks between each appearance. He's been much improved on last year but looks rusty in certain areas which is understandable.

I stick by what I said though, if he was English he'd be given more patience. If he were a Wiganer he'd be given even more. We're talking about a young lad here with less then 15 first team appearances under his belt and all out of position. To write him off already is crazy and thankfully Shaun Wane won't do that.

Long term we'll see which side of this debate was the correct one.

RankPostsTeam
International Star194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2016Jun 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:2q2mjndn]"What was it like out there Sam?"[/b:2q2mjndn] "F*cking hard mate" Queensland great Sam Backo live on telly to nine's Tim Sheridan after being named man of the match in a state of origin game in 1988.:

If i was to be brutally honest he's probably done more things wrong than right so far when he's pulled the shirt on, but how on earth can we expect him to be up to speed when he gets a chance to play (which is rare) if he cant even get a warmup game , it's ridiculous! He does have some potential, maybe not as much as what Ian Lenagan was raving about when Kevin Iro told him to sign him, but there is something there he just doesnt look safe when he gets the ball he tries too hard i think which maybe down to the pressure he's under with limited chances, he's superb at returning the ball so id give him a crack at fullback and see how he go's, you never know he could be Sams replacement if he jumps ship.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Bostonslugholes "If i was to be brutally honest he's probably done more things wrong than right so far when he's pulled the shirt on, but how on earth can we expect him to be up to speed when he gets a chance to play (which is rare) if he cant even get a warmup game , it's ridiculous! He does have some potential, maybe not as much as what Ian Lenagan was raving about when Kevin Iro told him to sign him, but there is something there he just doesnt look safe when he gets the ball he tries too hard i think which maybe down to the pressure he's under with limited chances, he's superb at returning the ball so id give him a crack at fullback and see how he go's, you never know he could be Sams replacement if he jumps ship.'"

I presume you're joking here. Let's be fair Gelling is nowhere near good enough as a winger but he's needs to be givena crack at centre before too long. There are loads of games coming up (Cas/Bradford at home) when SW can afford to try this. Maybe he will.

I feel sorry for Gelling, he's getting no rugby and no luck either and when he does play he's out on the wing (like at Huddersfield when he went off injured in his first game of the season and was then out for ages). Thornley has played more than anyone this year, so he's due a rest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Pryce, Paleaaesina, Phelps, Riddell, Roberts, Finch, Lima, Gelling and Lauaki. Some of those players went on to prove people wrong, but which white British players from '10 onwards copped as much stick as they did when they had an off day? The only one I can think of is Ainscough, which is quite surprising given that the team has been mainly made up of white Brits in that time. Black/overseas players aren't necessarily hated by the majority of our fans, but they do have to play better to prove themselves. I don't believe for a minute that so many people would be on Gelling's back if he was from Wigan.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15775
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Pryce, Paleaaesina, Phelps, Riddell, Roberts, Finch, Lima, Gelling and Lauaki. Some of those players went on to prove people wrong, but which white British players from '10 onwards copped as much stick as they did when they had an off day? The only one I can think of is Ainscough, which is quite surprising given that the team has been mainly made up of white Brits in that time. Black/overseas players aren't necessarily hated by the majority of our fans, but they do have to play better to prove themselves. I don't believe for a minute that so many people would be on Gelling's back if he was from Wigan.'"

id be very careful with comments like that

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: [Gareth] ""id be very careful with comments like that'"

I honestly think it's true. I'm not saying they should have to, but it does seem to work that way

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I really wouldn't bring race in to it. I'm somebody who thinks the foreign lads get a harder time then the English lads and inparticular Wigan lads but that's because people like to see the local kids doing well rather then the other way round.

There's a natural patience given to them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20776.gif
:20776.gif

I will make my final judgement on Gelling when I see him play in his correct position. He has been asked to play in an unfamiliar position and yes has made mistakes. I think he has the making of a decent second row, however, until i see him given a fair chance in his preferred position i will just appreciate the job he is doing for us.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "Pryce, Paleaaesina, Phelps, Riddell, Roberts, Finch, Lima, Gelling and Lauaki. Some of those players went on to prove people wrong, but which white British players from '10 onwards copped as much stick as they did when they had an off day? The only one I can think of is Ainscough, which is quite surprising given that the team has been mainly made up of white Brits in that time. Black/overseas players aren't necessarily hated by the majority of our fans, but they do have to play better to prove themselves. I don't believe for a minute that so many people would be on Gelling's back if he was from Wigan.'"

I'm actually stunned by that comment.

All the black players I can remember at Wigan were held in great affection by the fans, even going back to the 60s and 70s. Even an underachiever like Ronnie Braithwaite was popular with the crowd.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7349_1382076828.jpeg
CHAMP20NS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7349.jpeg

Possibly the stupidest post iv ever seen in all my time on these forums.

Your on very thin ice I'd imagine.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: 21-12 " Your on very thin ice I'd imagine.'"

Thin ice from what? It's not like he's come out with anything racist himself or in anyway condoned what's he thinks he's seen from a section of fans.

It might, imo, be misguided in regards the colour references but I certainly don't think he's a million miles away from the point in regards to antipodeans not being offered the same time or leniency as what academy lads are. You can sugar coat that or spin it in a different way if you want but it is a form of racism.

Some sections of our 'fans' are hell bent on the academy lads and it's frankly quite pathetic and not that far away from the policies of the BNP or UKIP who i personally detest.

Wigan born players don't have a god given right to opportunities just because they were born in the borough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35345_1422576416.jpg
Don't let your love turn to hate Now we've got to keep the faith Wigan Rugby League:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35345.jpg

Quote: 21-12 "Care to explain why my post was idiotic? I clearly explained that in my opinion, during his period at wigan, I don't rate him. What's your problem?'"

In your post [You made no reference to previous comments] you said you didn't rate him, and the points you cite as to why, is two knock ons and him not putting the ball down closer to the posts. And when I challenged you and pointed out other players who'd made very similar mistakes, receiving no negative comment from yourself, you chose to ignore it, and insulted my post.

Now if you don't like him, for whatever reason, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine. But, if you continue on your little mini-vendetta you have against the lad, do please be prepare to be challenged. If you cite such ridiculous points, prepare to be challenged. If you insult people's posts, prepare to be insulted yourself.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "Thin ice from what? It's not like he's come out with anything racist himself or in anyway condoned what's he thinks he's seen from a section of fans.

It might, imo, be misguided in regards the colour references but I certainly don't think he's a million miles away from the point in regards to antipodeans not being offered the same time or leniency as what academy lads are. You can sugar coat that or spin it in a different way if you want but it is a form of racism.

Some sections of our 'fans' are hell bent on the academy lads and it's frankly quite pathetic and not that far away from the policies of the BNP or UKIP who i personally detest.

Wigan born players don't have a god given right to opportunities just because they were born in the borough.'"

I think you make some very good points here Sgt. The world is a smaller place and people have the right to work across all sorts of national boundaries.

I've never heard anyone make the point you raise about Wigan born players, but you are right.

However Wigan are bucking some sort of trend with the squad at present being mainly Wigan born players. I think what most people like is that Wigan are producing their own players rather than buying success by going for expensive foreign imports (e.g. like Saints/Warrington/Wigan - of 10 years ago) and that has got to be for the good of the club if it is to be sustainable in the future.

RankPostsTeam
International Star862No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If the orignal poster were to consider non-UK players and race then there's a higher minority bias in the non-UK player pool. However the moaning is pretty consistant to non-UK not non-white players so to make the statement is really an attempt to make a rasist slant where none exists.

If we were to make the comparison to the UK players we simply have a statistically low pool to pick from, Dasi Williams seemed to have got criticism in his very short time but no more than Ainscough or Pat Richards in year 1 at Wigan and certainly more than Jason Robinson, Ellery Hanley or Billy Boston.

There is a bias to local grown tallent and why not? Pride in the local community isn't a bad thing and if Wigan can bring tallent through v's buy from another team (UK or not) then why not?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35345_1422576416.jpg
Don't let your love turn to hate Now we've got to keep the faith Wigan Rugby League:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35345.jpg

Quote: goobervision "If the orignal poster were to consider non-UK players and race then there's a higher minority bias in the non-UK player pool. However the moaning is pretty consistant to non-UK not non-white players so to make the statement is really an attempt to make a rasist slant where none exists.

If we were to make the comparison to the UK players we simply have a statistically low pool to pick from, Dasi Williams seemed to have got criticism in his very short time but no more than Ainscough or Pat Richards in year 1 at Wigan and certainly more than Jason Robinson, Ellery Hanley or Billy Boston.

There is a bias to local grown tallent and why not? Pride in the local community isn't a bad thing and if Wigan can bring tallent through v's buy from another team (UK or not) then why not?'"

Just to play devil's advocate. Does racism have to be against someone of a different coloured skin? While this type of racism is obviously the most prevalent, racism against other white cultures does exist [Commonly held ones against the French & Germans for example]. I don't feel there is a racial issue against non-uk based players. What I do feel, is that being an overseas player you will need to work harder, as the club have brought you halfway across the world to play for us. If an overseas player is not seen as pulling his weight, this will be highlighted, much quicker than a UK-based or especially Wigan-based player.

My issue with the criticism of Gelling is that it is completely unwarranted. He has yet to have a sustained run in his favoured position, and there for cannot be accurately judged, either as a potential talent or a current star. If he had been given the spot that Thornley currently holds, and after an extended run [10 matches or so] he was not showing much in the way of potential, than I could understand people getting on his back.

By no means does this make him exempt from criticism, but, I feel he comes in for harsher criticism than other players, and I feel this is unfair.

216 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
216 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Finn out Murrell in
MP
9m
Planning for next season
mwindass
10m