FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Quins to sign FOUR Warriors?
86 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: dirtbag83 "Isn't Prescott in the Ireland squad for the European Cup?'"

rlNo, our representatives are McIllorum and O'Carrollrl

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Grimmy "rlNo, our representatives are McIllorum and O'Carrollrl'"

I seem to remember he declared himself English and not eligible for Ireland after the last World Cup.

At least the lad has ambition.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: Grimmy "Prop instead of Prescott for my money. I know Prescott had a big two games at the end of the year but Mossop was great for much longer before he got injured.'"

Mossop was fairly poor at times last year and needs to work on his defence and general game, hence being dropped at times last year. He has a lot of potential but is far from a certaintly in the 17. I would definately be starting off the season with Prescott in a prop spot before him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I know you're his biggest fan on here but come on, he hardly set the world alight bar those two games.'"

And I know your O'Carrol's but that doesn't alter the way I look at the game in front of me.

25 league/PO games this year plus cup games so maybe 28 in all suggests to me that a certain coach doesn't think he's had a "Bad season" up until the last 2 games Would you?

I know your O'C's biggest fan but 17 games in the last 2 years seems to show to me that he may be suffering from trying to punch above his weight at this level.
You saying Prescott has been average or had a Bad season barring 2 games is ludicrous when he has dropped bigger names than prescott this year when they haven't performed to what Madge deems Acceptable i.e FEKA/Mossop etc
IIRC I don't remember Madge dropping Prescott when Fit all season so he must be doing something right?

I hope ALL PLAYERS stay fit at Wigan and that Madge then picks his squad how he wants to on his terms.
What I don't like is the way some seem to look negatively upon certain players to try and get their favourites picked ala Ainscough over Roberts.

Would Prescott get in my 17 if everyone Fully Fit? Maybe/Maybe not next season.
For the season just gone he would get in my 17 every week with only Mossop in his early season form pressing him (I would still have used Mossop in the 2nd row for last season whenever possible to let the lad get a bit more physical maturity into his game as the way Madge coaches his players to play takes a lot of physical prowess to play like that every week).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

Quote: Harlequin Gooner "You seem to have forgotten that we smashed you on your own ground last season!!!!
Your best rugby merely coincided with our worst! icon_wink.gif

That's not as much of an insult as it sounds though, we have a really good second string icon_biggrin.gif

What is the Quins team lining up like as it is? That would give us a clue who you'll be taking (if this is true, which I hope it is).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44227_1315514791.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44227.jpg

Quote: Bovrick "Your best rugby merely coincided with our worst!

Fair Point mate!

Well we need a couple of Props, a Half Back, a Centre and a Winger icon_razz.gifRAY:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Jukesays "And I know your O'Carrol's but that doesn't alter the way I look at the game in front of me.

25 league/PO games this year plus cup games so maybe 28 in all suggests to me that a certain coach doesn't think he's had a "Bad season" up until the last 2 games Would you?

I know your O'C's biggest fan but 17 games in the last 2 years seems to show to me that he may be suffering from trying to punch above his weight at this level.
You saying Prescott has been average or had a Bad season barring 2 games is ludicrous when he has dropped bigger names than prescott this year when they haven't performed to what Madge deems Acceptable i.e FEKA/Mossop etc
IIRC I don't remember Madge dropping Prescott when Fit all season so he must be doing something right?

I hope ALL PLAYERS stay fit at Wigan and that Madge then picks his squad how he wants to on his terms.
What I don't like is the way some seem to look negatively upon certain players to try and get their favourites picked ala Ainscough over Roberts.

For the season just gone he would get in my 17 every week with only Mossop in his early season form pressing him (I would still have used Mossop in the 2nd row for last season whenever possible to let the lad get a bit more physical maturity into his game as the way Madge coaches his players to play takes a lot of physical prowess to play like that every week).'"

Taking what I was saying this time last year and transposing it to current debates is a bit pointless, top marks for memory though. To update my views for your records:

O'Carroll - hasn't really kicked on from last year and fallen back in the rankings, partly through injury and partly through not taking his chances. May well be worth loaning him out if a SL club is interested and the other props are fit. I wouldn't play him ahead of Prescott on last known form and he needs to stay fit to prove his worth.

Ainscough - didn't really get a shot all season, no suprise with Roberts' form at the start of the year and Pryce's at the end. Think he'll suprise us at Bradford though.

Mossop - I just love how hard he goes into the collision and his ability to not let the opposition find the floor coming out of their 20. As for defensive flaws, he can look a little too slow sliding across but I think he's fine at prop, more of a problem at second row that.

Prescott - great end to the season but I've really not seen much in him this year other than that. Think he's been lucky to make the team a few times this year with the wrong players being injured/suspended. Has he really not been dropped all year? Fair enough if true but I'm not going to do the whole emperors new clothes thing of assuming he's brilliant just because Maguire picks him. Might as well shut down the board as blindly agree with the club all the time. I'm not trying to have a go at him just think he's a bit overated at the mo.

Can't get on the stats off my phone so I might be setting myself for a fall here but how do his pens and errors stack up?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Jukesays "And I know your O'Carrol's but that doesn't alter the way I look at the game in front of me.

For the season just gone he would get in my 17 every week with only Mossop in his early season form pressing him (I would still have used Mossop in the 2nd row for last season whenever possible to let the lad get a bit more physical maturity into his game as the way Madge coaches his players to play takes a lot of physical prowess to play like that every week).'"

Taking what I was saying this time last year and transposing it to current debates is a bit pointless, top marks for memory though. To update my views for your records:

O'Carroll - hasn't really kicked on from last year and fallen back in the rankings, partly through injury and partly through not taking his chances. May well be worth loaning him out if a SL club is interested and the other props are fit. I wouldn't play him ahead of Prescott on last known form and he needs to stay fit to prove his worth.

Ainscough - didn't really get a shot all season, no suprise with Roberts' form at the start of the year and Goulding's at the end. Think he'll suprise us at Bradford though.

Mossop - I just love how hard he goes into the collision and his ability to not let the opposition find the floor coming out of their 20. As for defensive flaws, he can look a little too slow sliding across but I think he's fine at prop, more of a problem at second row that.

Prescott - great end to the season but I've really not seen much in him this year other than that. Think he's been lucky to make the team a few times this year with the wrong players being injured/suspended. Has he really not been dropped all year? Fair enough if true but I'm not going to do the whole emperors new clothes thing of assuming he's brilliant just because Maguire picks him. Might as well shut down the board as blindly agree with the club all the time. I'm not trying to have a go at him just think he's a bit overated at the mo.

Can't get on the stats off my phone so I might be setting myself for a fall here but how do his pens and errors stack up?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

Quote: Harlequin Gooner "Fair Point mate!

Well we need a couple of Props, a Half Back, a Centre and a Winger
O'Carroll, Davies, Mellor, Marsh and Charnley it is then?
(you wish icon_wink.gif )
In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see what is made of this.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Prescott - great end to the season but I've really not seen much in him this year other than that. Think he's been lucky to make the team a few times this year with the wrong players being injured/suspended. Has he really not been dropped all year? Fair enough if true but I'm not going to do the whole emperors new clothes thing of assuming he's brilliant just because Maguire picks him. Might as well shut down the board as blindly agree with the club all the time. I'm not trying to have a go at him just think he's a bit overated at the mo.

Can't get on the stats off my phone so I might be setting myself for a fall here but how do his pens and errors stack up?'"

Look, no-one is saying (Or should I say I'm not saying) that there aren't a dozen other props out there who couldn't do a similar job etc.

What I am saying is that when your carrying Fieldens/Fekas/Coleys(albeit Coleys a bit less) wages and then next season Fielden & Coley & Lima your going to struggle to get a 4th/5th prop in there from the Top drawer costing Top Dollar.

I'm more than happy for IL/MM to assess our options and if there are a couple of players in front of someone for a starting spot then I would consider sending then out on loan (Davies/Marsh/Tuson) or releasing them (Pryce/Phelps).

What I am saying is that Prescott has done a Good solid if somewhat unspectacular job at times in a Front row that's just won a GF when he was arguably 3rd choice prop in front of fans favourite Feka.

Fielden/Coley/Lima - 3 of the starting 4 no arguments.

I watched Davies last season and his form at Widnes/Reserve level was nowhere near replicated at SL level and understandably so, he's What? only 19/20? Lets give him time and play him when it suits us and him not because we HAVE to play him!
O'Carroll has been injured 3/4 qtrs of last season and this and IMO even at his best is arguably no better than Prescott who has played nearly treble the games He has. And TBH, A good Big un will always beat a good little un. So in that respect an average Big un will always beat an average little un!
Mossop has played 90% of his games 2nd row and we've yet to see how is return to action goes.
Hock - Lets wait and see.

So for me who else is there for the 4th choice prop?

Now if Hock and Mossop come back absolutely all guns blazing then there'll be no-one happier than me to see Prekky lining up as 18th man, it will show how good of a squad we have.
If Prescott/O'Carroll etc are happy to stay on the wages they're getting then I'm also happy, more options the better.
But if they start asking for stupid money OR they're staying blocks youngsters from coming through (Bearing in mind Coley 1yr? Fielden2yr so if we let too many go now it could come back to haunt us in 12 months) then fair enough let them go.

PS

I bet his pen/error "Stats" count favourably to any player who's played the same games etc apart from the top couple of SL/International players.
In fact, just had a quick check and compared him to Fielden/Coley in a few areas! These are regular rounds as well so don't count the games were you say he was better i.e semi final and final.

Appearances 21 --- Coley 21 ------ Fielden 25
Tries 0
Try assists 0
Goals 0
Drop Goals 0
Meters 1592 = 6.9mtrs per carry ----- Coley 285/1921 = 6.74 mtr per carry ---- Fielden 358/2543 =7.1mtr per carry
Carries 230
Tackles 426 ---- Coley 523 --- Fielden 607
Offloads 9
Tackle Busts 16
Marker tackles 52
Missed tackles 19 --- Coley 22 ----- Fielden 18
Errors 9 ---- Coley 16 ---- Fielden 18
Penalties 16 --- Coley 23 ---- Fielden 17
Red cards 0
Yellow cards 0

Now I take the stats with a pinch of salt, and I've picked a few out that are Key to Props success and for me if there is any kind of accuracy with these then he counts favourably in all departments against 2 of the props that were over the moon they've just signed new deals.

End of the day, his work rate (Considering Fielden/Coley have played more games and more minutes) is good.
His stats are comparable in many ways if not better than the other 2
And, He's young, He's relatively cheap and IMO getting better and more importantly for me BIGGER!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Prescott is an OK player and as Jukesays mentions you can't have four top paid props in the side.

On the subject of statistics the fact he played as many games as he has this season isn't a ringing endorsement when his main competitors which are O'Carroll and Mossop were both injured. It certainly wasn't Feka as if those two had been fit it would have been which one of Prescott, O'Carroll or Mossop would Madge have chosen before Feka.

O'Carroll was in the side before Prescott this year and up until the play off series I would not have said Prescott had cemented his place as 4th prop starting next season based on his league form.

That said it all seemed to click for him come the play offs so he will certainly have done his chances no harm of getting the nod when all players are available at the start of 2011.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29674
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

If we're to loan 4 players out to Quins I can't see them including guys like Mossop or Phelps tbh. If Phelps is still here then he'll be here to be part of our squad unless we have a 24hr callback clause on him(which I don't really see the point of for a quota player). As for Mossop he's got a 5 year deal under his belt here at Wigan and I see him as a big member of the squad when he's back up and running. I think he's got quite abit of work to do to get himself back ahead of guys like Farrell but he's a real talent and if he cant his head right on a more consistant basis(takes his foot off the gas too much against lesser sides for my liking) he could be one of the best forwards in superleague.

I'd be happy enough for us to loan out somebody like O'Carroll with a 24hr callback and probably look at other guys with less experience like Tuson, Davies, Marsh, Mellor etc to follow suit.

A player i'd like to see stay here would be Josh Charnley. He looked a real prospect at the back end of last year and with Richards being out early doors I could see him getting quite abit of gametime.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: DaveO "Prescott is an OK player and as Jukesays mentions you can't have four top paid props in the side.

On the subject of statistics the fact he played as many games as he has this season isn't a ringing endorsement when his main competitors which are O'Carroll and Mossop were both injured. It certainly wasn't Feka as if those two had been fit it would have been which one of Prescott, O'Carroll or Mossop would Madge have chosen before Feka.

O'Carroll was in the side before Prescott this year and up until the play off series I would not have said Prescott had cemented his place as 4th prop starting next season based on his league form.
That said it all seemed to click for him come the play offs so he will certainly have done his chances no harm of getting the nod when all players are available at the start of 2011.

Dave'"

Sorry to pick you up on this Dave but eusa_think.gif

Prescott played in the 11 of the 1st 12 games this season and the only game he missed was bradford away which was the 5th game so he played the first 4.
O'Carroll didn't play until the 4th game of the season.

From then on they both played until around early May when O'C got injured, he never forced his way back in after that.
Prescott on the other hand didnt miss a game IIRC until end of July when he got the Retina problem in training, to come back from that in 4/5 weeks I believe was a tremendous bonus after what seemd like a season ending & possibly career threatening injury.
The previous couple of games we had to rely on Hansen at Prop and Davies/Tuson coming off the bench, for me this is were we became too lightweight and teams bullied us a bit.
Feka partly solved that with his return/selection but I believe Prescott also provided us with a bit of size up front and let the back rowers get on with their jobs more effectively after that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Jukesays "Look, no-one is saying (Or should I say I'm not saying) that there aren't a dozen other props out there who couldn't do a similar job etc.

What I am saying is that when your carrying Fieldens/Fekas/Coleys(albeit Coleys a bit less) wages and then next season Fielden & Coley & Lima your going to struggle to get a 4th/5th prop in there from the Top drawer costing Top Dollar.

I'm more than happy for IL/MM to assess our options and if there are a couple of players in front of someone for a starting spot then I would consider sending then out on loan (Davies/Marsh/Tuson) or releasing them (Pryce/Phelps).

What I am saying is that Prescott has done a Good solid if somewhat unspectacular job at times in a Front row that's just won a GF when he was arguably 3rd choice prop in front of fans favourite Feka.

Fielden/Coley/Lima - 3 of the starting 4 no arguments.

I watched Davies last season and his form at Widnes/Reserve level was nowhere near replicated at SL level and understandably so, he's What? only 19/20? Lets give him time and play him when it suits us and him not because we HAVE to play him!
O'Carroll has been injured 3/4 qtrs of last season and this and IMO even at his best is arguably no better than Prescott who has played nearly treble the games He has. And TBH, A good Big un will always beat a good little un. So in that respect an average Big un will always beat an average little un!
Mossop has played 90% of his games 2nd row and we've yet to see how is return to action goes.
Hock - Lets wait and see.

So for me who else is there for the 4th choice prop?

Now if Hock and Mossop come back absolutely all guns blazing then there'll be no-one happier than me to see Prekky lining up as 18th man, it will show how good of a squad we have.
If Prescott/O'Carroll etc are happy to stay on the wages they're getting then I'm also happy, more options the better.
But if they start asking for stupid money OR they're staying blocks youngsters from coming through (Bearing in mind Coley 1yr? Fielden2yr so if we let too many go now it could come back to haunt us in 12 months) then fair enough let them go.

PS

I bet his pen/error "Stats" count favourably to any player who's played the same games etc apart from the top couple of SL/International players.
In fact, just had a quick check and compared him to Fielden/Coley in a few areas! These are regular rounds as well so don't count the games were you say he was better i.e semi final and final.

Appearances 21 --- Coley 21 ------ Fielden 25
Tries 0
Try assists 0
Goals 0
Drop Goals 0
Meters 1592
Fair enough his pen and error stats aren't nearly as bad as I thought. He just seemed to come up with one too many important errors/pens in important games but I think in this area the stats aren't likely to lie. Hope he starts the season like he finished it by hitting form early ready to push for the 10 shirt in 2012.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

From the number of games played when available Prescott must be doing a lot right or else MM wouldn't select him.
He's 24 and Wigan have spent a lot of money developing him. For a prop at 24 his best is yet to come.
Prescott will stay IMO and get selected when injury or suspension free.
The club would not just be mad to let him go but absolutely barking!!!!!!!!!!!!

86 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
86 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3115234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Lord Tony Sm
31m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
42m