JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SaintsFan "I disagree. I don't know why Wigan fans are throwing the reserves GF around as if it was some kind of proof of anything because it isn't. Our lads could have just been knackered. They have had to play through injuries and because of injuries, just thrown in rather than graduated like Sam Tomkins. They will have suffered for it because the way they have been introduced to first grade has been nowhere near ideal. In fact, quite the opposite.

I would say that both Wigan and Saints are bringing through some talent at present and it would be great to see both teams' youngsters hit the spot as that would mean some cracking matches in the future and possibly some entertaining rugby at international level too. Personally I don't feel the need to say our team is better than your team but instead can happily acknowledge that we're both doing a good job in developing young talent, which is a very positive thing for the future of RL.'"

Well said mate, I hate the petty point scoring from all sides smells far too much like football to me.

I think both Wigan and Saints have some great talent coming through and I applaud both clubs for trying to develop it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "I disagree. I don't know why Wigan fans are throwing the reserves GF around as if it was some kind of proof of anything because it isn't. Our lads could have just been knackered. They have had to play through injuries and because of injuries, just thrown in rather than graduated like Sam Tomkins. They will have suffered for it because the way they have been introduced to first grade has been nowhere near ideal. In fact, quite the opposite.'"

I'm not just throwing the Reserves Grand Final as the only reason. If you read my earlier post I gave numerous other reasons. I think both teams will have had to play through injuries. Wigan more so than others with Liam Farrell being ruled out for the season and numerous graduates into the First team have forced the club to play academy players in their place.(Ask Rogues for the numbers) No excuses really, you say they could have just been 'knackered' well they have played the exact same amount of games as any other teams. I would just accept the better team won and stop clinging to straws.

Quote: SaintsFan "I would say that both Wigan and Saints are bringing through some talent at present and it would be great to see both teams' youngsters hit the spot as that would mean some cracking matches in the future and possibly some entertaining rugby at international level too. Personally I don't feel the need to say our team is better than your team but instead can happily acknowledge that we're both doing a good job in developing young talent, which is a very positive thing for the future of RL.'"

The argument was never really about whose side is better.(Although I believe the Wigan team is). It was justification of the success of the Wigan RL reserve team with a Dire fan, you took it upon yourself to comment. I too hope for more battles in the future seeing Wigan and Saints lads go for it and then join together to represent England and Lancashire.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: Wire_85 "I said they have done well in SL but that doesn't mean the reserves will turn out the same its all about potential'"

Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Mark Flanagan and Sean Ainscough are the reserves. I know we can't make any irrational assumptions that every player from that Reserves team will turn out the same but we can assume that we are doing something right to have had the success with the players mentioned.

It's not all about potential at all. It's about fulfilling your potential.

Quote: Wire_85 "Sean Ainscough is abit like Kevin Penny great scoring but needs to work on his game. '"

I think every player in the world of Rugby League can always work on their game. I have seen so called 'established' stars like Amos Roberts who has had well over 200 games in the NRL make the same mistakes Sean Ainscough has made but not near enough the creativity.

Quote: Wire_85 "Wigan always bring good young players through but they are not always good seen as good enough an get shipped out, time will tell with this current group.'"

Under previous management I may have considered that a fair comment. But the new regime at Wigan has been soley focused around our young players. We haven't signed any players for next season, instead,we have chosen to promote from within. Our entire marketing campaign for Season Ticket renewals is based around the young lads at the club. We have used any space left over on the salary cap to reward our youngsters with long term contracts. Gone are the days when young lads aren't given an opportunity to show what they can do. If any players are to leave Wigan it will be through them not fulfilling their potential or lack of desire to make it at the top level and not through not being given the opportunity and going for the short fix with an Australian player which can only be good for the Wigan RL club and England.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif
[img:2b6g88ns]http://news.google.co.uk/news/tbn/ryI1dIYrb1oJ[/img:2b6g88ns]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42175.gif

Quote: cadoo "Under previous management I may have considered that a fair comment. But the new regime at Wigan has been soley focused around our young players. We haven't signed any players for next season, instead,we have chosen to promote from within. Our entire marketing campaign for Season Ticket renewals is based around the young lads at the club. We have used any space left over on the salary cap to reward our youngsters with long term contracts. Gone are the days when young lads aren't given an opportunity to show what they can do. If any players are to leave Wigan it will be through them not fulfilling their potential or lack of desire to make it at the top level and not through not being given the opportunity and going for the short fix with an Australian player which can only be good for the Wigan RL club and England.'"

Are you not expecting to sign anyone then? does that mean Ian Thornley, Josh Vievers, Ben Davies, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson and Joe Mellor will get a chance next season ala Sam Tomkins and Mark Flanagan?

Bit of a risk if thats what your doing but can see why McGuire was chosen as its like what Melbourne did.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3064.gif
saint mully wrote: It was disappointing to see the numbers leaving after the Lee Smith try when I was coming back in from the toilets, I could hardly get back in scully = god wrote: We have the worst fans in the league. FACT. What we need is the passion Wigan fans have.:3064.gif

Quote: Wire_85 "Are you not expecting to sign anyone then? does that mean Ian Thornley, Josh Vievers, Ben Davies, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson and Joe Mellor will get a chance next season ala Sam Tomkins and Mark Flanagan?

Bit of a risk if thats what your doing but can see why McGuire was chosen as its like what Melbourne did.'"

There's a possibility of other signings, Josh and Ben are possibly going out on loan to Wakefield. I'm pretty sure both Ian Thornley and Joe Mellor still qualify for the 18's so I don't think they're ready yet. Liam Farrell's a possibility though of seeing next season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg

Quote: Wire_85 "Are you not expecting to sign anyone then? does that mean Ian Thornley, Josh Vievers, Ben Davies, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson and Joe Mellor will get a chance next season ala Sam Tomkins and Mark Flanagan?

Bit of a risk if thats what your doing but can see why McGuire was chosen as its like what Melbourne did.'"

Afraid not. I will be very shocked if we do.

I think Josh Vievers and Ben Davies are going on loan to Wakefield.

Ian Thornley might get a chance but he still only 17. Same applies to Joe Mellor.

Expect to see the introduction of Liam Farrell and more from Lee Mossop, Sean Ainscough and co!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Lav' it when saints lose icon_lol.gif gutted we wernt there, they have done better than us.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

One Town.. One Team.. One Love.. The future's bright, The future's Tomkins!! Keep Wigan "Wigan" Especially playing at Wigan which is a real home of Rugby League.”QUOTE : Cameron Smith 27/10/09.:

Had to laugh laste night, in Walkabout in town, the bloke behind us was cheering for stains then eastmond scored the first try, he was giving it some, then turned around when eastmond lined the kick up and said bloody hell he's taking the kick aswell, quality fan icon_exclaim.gif ,

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: cadoo " No excuses really, you say they could have just been 'knackered' well they have played the exact same amount of games as any other teams. I would just accept the better team won and stop clinging to straws. '"

You know something? I really don't care who won the reserves grand final! We won the academy grand final last year, seven of those players were signed up to our first team and played in the defeated reserves grand final this year. It means precisely nothing to win one of these grand finals but if you have to cling on to something then go ahead. I shall be waiting with baited breath to see which of your stars breaks through into the first team with success and which are let go due to the change in rules. Hopefully there will be enough good players stepping up for Wigan to stop signing Aussies all over the spot. However, if you're expecting a cohort of Sam Tomkins then you will be disappointed. It just doesn't work that way, regardless of whether they win reserves grand finals or not.

btw: obviously you were the better side on the day. You won convincingly!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: 8inarow "Had to laugh laste night, in Walkabout in town, the bloke behind us was cheering for stains then eastmond scored the first try, he was giving it some, then turned around when eastmond lined the kick up and said bloody hell he's taking the kick aswell, quality fan It's because Eastmond has been missing kicks. Some of them from very close to the posts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

One Town.. One Team.. One Love.. The future's bright, The future's Tomkins!! Keep Wigan "Wigan" Especially playing at Wigan which is a real home of Rugby League.”QUOTE : Cameron Smith 27/10/09.:

Quote: SaintsFan "It's because Eastmond has been missing kicks. Some of them from very close to the posts.'"

no mate, he did't have a clue about the game or the saints team overall, imo it was as though it was the first time he had ever seen a game .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: 8inarow "no mate, he did't have a clue about the game or the saints team overall, imo it was as though it was the first time he had ever seen a game .'"

Ah, I see.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

I was sat next to some saints fans at the grand final and we had some good banter and a good chat and then as we got to the game they kept asking me what was going on icon_confused.gif

They also said it was their first game of the season so I asked if they lived far from St Helens and they live round the corner from the GPW icon_eek.gif

Shocking.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: Odemwingie "I was sat next to some saints fans at the grand final and we had some good banter and a good chat and then as we got to the game they kept asking me what was going on And of course all your fans are die hards, yes? icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Quote: SaintsFan "And of course all your fans are die hards, yes?

Correct.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.03759765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v London
karetaker
5m
TV Games - Not Hull
mwindass
6m