Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Cruncher et al.

I'm in the pro Noble camp, but understand and agree with some of the posts and charges against him.

So how long do we give him?

Personally, I would give him to mid season and see how things are.
I still wouldn't sack him then. I don't see the point as I can't see anyone available to take the job.

If we are underperforming mid season then I would tell him that his contract would not be renewed for 2010. I suspect he would already know anyway.'"

It's difficult to make informed comments on the Noble situ at Wigan, because throughout his tenure there've been stories that he's unsettled and looking elsewhere. There've also been reports that he doesn't like the chairman and has had rows with him.

Are these true? If so, maybe it won't come as a wrench for either party if his contract is not renewed. But telling someone they won't have a job in four month's time is bound to cause some kind of fall-out, and who knows what form that could take.

If we're at rock-bottom by mid-season (and it's far too early to assume that yet), it won't matter. The management won't have any choice and Noble won't have an argument.

The problem for IL will be if we're there or thereabouts again, with a reasonable chance of making the top tier but not looking particularly impressive on the field.

How do we respond to that?

Sacking the coach under those circumstances could mess things up big time. Given that most fans' frustrations at present seem to be ed around our lack of improvement rather than our lack of trophies, I don't think they would regard it as too high a price to pay. But it might be too high for IL if no other coaching options are available - and they may not be if he leaves it until the mid-season stage.

It's a very difficult balancing act that needs to be struck here, and all I can say is that I'm glad it's not my choice.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20079.jpg
'Don't follow leaders, watch your parkin' meters' Bob Dylan:20079.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Cruncher et al.

I'm in the pro Noble camp, but understand and agree with some of the posts and charges against him.

So how long do we give him?

Personally, I would give him to mid season and see how things are.
I still wouldn't sack him then. I don't see the point as I can't see anyone available to take the job.

If we are underperforming mid season then I would tell him that his contract would not be renewed for 2010. I suspect he would already know anyway.'"

I'm in the results camp, but its to early to panic yet although I have my doubts that Noble will deliver

I don't think IL will terminate early because it will involve cash, so I'm going for his contract not to be renewed

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach632No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11155.jpg
If syphilis was good enough for Al Capone, Scott Joplin and Toulouse-Lautrec, it is good enough for Dave Whelan.:11155.jpg

Quote: windy "I'm in the results camp, but its to early to panic yet although I have my doubts that Noble will deliver

I don't think IL will terminate early because it will involve cash, so I'm going for his contract not to be renewed'"

I was told by an ex-player yesterday that the payoff that would be required should Noble be sacked is the single biggest reason that he's still at the club. Now whether this comes from genuine inside knowledge or is just guess work I couldn't tell you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach86No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42681.jpg
:42681.jpg

Quote: windy "I'm in the results camp, but its to early to panic yet although I have my doubts that Noble will deliver

I don't think IL will terminate early because it will involve cash, so I'm going for his contract not to be renewed'"
this seems the most likely, however if performances don't improve in say 10 game's time, then surely he has no option

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20409
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3rwwi1cz][color=#800000:3rwwi1cz]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:3rwwi1cz][/b:3rwwi1cz]:

Quote: 1879 "this seems the most likely, however if performances don't improve in say 10 game's time, then surely he has no option'"

Ten? I'd say half that.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Rubber Buccaneer "I was told by an ex-player yesterday that the payoff that would be required should Noble be sacked is the single biggest reason that he's still at the club. Now whether this comes from genuine inside knowledge or is just guess work I couldn't tell you.'"

His contract is up for renewal at the end of the season so lets for the sake of argument say he earns £100K a season (could be more, could be less but whatever).

IL has a choice. He can either pay it him in one go if he sacks him or he can not sack him and pay it him anyway as his wages for the season which he will have to do if he stays. Either way this season Noble will pocket that £100K.

If he had several years to run on his contract that would be different but since he hasn't and only has this season to go sacking him would not involve paying him any more money than he would get if he saw the season out.

Of course IL would have to pay another coaches wages but I'd hazard a guess Noble is on a huge deal due to the way he was recruited and the circumstances at the time. So a new coach may not cost as much to run.

If things continue to go badly and IL won't sack Noble because of the pay off then while he will be prepared to sit there and watch the side be badly coached he might find the fans are not. So it would be false economy anyway.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7825No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3699.png
:3699.png

Quote: Rubber Buccaneer "I was told by an ex-player yesterday that the payoff that would be required should Noble be sacked is the single biggest reason that he's still at the club. Now whether this comes from genuine inside knowledge or is just guess work I couldn't tell you.'"

It doesn't have to work like that though. We all know how much Dave Whelan loves the pitch at the JJB. So why not to show how committed we are to the stadium company, supply the best paid groundsman in the country! To be fair I would sometimes rather watch Noble cutting grass than the style of rugby he likes Wigan to play.

This would not mean terminating his contract but changing his duties, thus I think there would be no need for a pay off. Of course the above is an exaggeration but if the club wanted to replace him they could.

I would think a Coach's contract is no different to a players and if a player isn't cutting it, there is no obligation to utilize him week in/out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1888No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36121_1270460193.jpg
Conroy - Being a Latics fan i'm already immune to watching sh*te. Sally Cinnamon - Treat the Saints forum as you would if you met a girl from St Helens. Best policy would be to avoid altogether but if you absolutely can't resist temptation then take every possible precaution.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36121.jpg

Quote: sbohan "It doesn't have to work like that though. We all know how much Dave Whelan loves the pitch at the JJB. So why not to show how committed we are to the stadium company, supply the best paid groundsman in the country! To be fair I would sometimes rather watch Noble cutting grass than the style of rugby he likes Wigan to play.

This would not mean terminating his contract but changing his duties, thus I think there would be no need for a pay off. Of course the above is an exaggeration but if the club wanted to replace him they could.

I would think a Coach's contract is no different to a players and if a player isn't cutting it, there is no obligation to utilize him week in/out.'"

That's a bloody good thought, marginalise the guy. The only downside are1) we need someone to come in and take the position.
2) we'd need to ensure that, if Noble has cronies within the club, they tow the party line and not Noble's.[/list

AJ
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1530.gif
:1530.gif

Quote: DaveO "His contract is up for renewal at the end of the season so lets for the sake of argument say he earns £100K a season (could be more, could be less but whatever).

IL has a choice. He can either pay it him in one go if he sacks him or he can not sack him and pay it him anyway as his wages for the season which he will have to do if he stays. Either way this season Noble will pocket that £100K.

If he had several years to run on his contract that would be different but since he hasn't and only has this season to go sacking him would not involve paying him any more money than he would get if he saw the season out.

Of course IL would have to pay another coaches wages but I'd hazard a guess Noble is on a huge deal due to the way he was recruited and the circumstances at the time. So a new coach may not cost as much to run.

If things continue to go badly and IL won't sack Noble because of the pay off then while he will be prepared to sit there and watch the side be badly coached he might find the fans are not. So it would be false economy anyway.

Dave'"

Unless he had built into his contract a set dismissal fee regardless of how long was to run on his contract.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13802_1335794682.jpg
The new Saints statue looks like Andy Farrell!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13802.jpg

Heres Nobbys Previous Record at the Bulls and of course he has coached GBWhilst head coach of Bradford Bulls, 'Nobby' guided the Bulls to two Minor Premiership titles, victory in three Grand Finals in 2001 , 2003 and 2005, the Challenge Cup in 2003 and to three World Club Championships in 2002, 2004 and 2006.[/i

We have been one victory away from the GF in the last two seasons being knocked out at Headingley by the eventually winners. Nobby knows when the team need to peak which is in the playoffs. Peaking in pro sport is an art form now and Nobby and Forshaw will have a plan when this is supposed to happen if they get it right then we will come home with our tails up at the business end of the season.

Why are fans panicing after two games and booing the team off, are we that fickle? Some of us still trudge off with 10mins to go, whats that about, got a pan of chips on? You dont win SL by thumping Wake at home in the first game.

Ive heard one or two people suggesting that Nobby gets the chop and we bring Ellery or Shaun Edwards, what can they do that Nobby doesnt already, they dont know the team any better. Lets not get into a Football mentality of sack the coach when it doesnt go rite all the time.

Riddell has not set the world on fire yet but the guy had a bad knee injury at Parra at the end of last season, why do the whingers on the GMR phone in seem to think a week in Lanzarote will suddenly make supermen out of the squad, every other team has a pre-season camp too!!!

The key will be plays four and five will be the key this year down the oppositions end of the field, we will have to see if Smith can fill Barretts boots.

Dont panic Mr Mannering, Keep the Faith.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20338No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: stusavage "Heres Nobbys Previous Record at the Bulls and of course he has coached GBWhilst head coach of Bradford Bulls, 'Nobby' guided the Bulls to two Minor Premiership titles, victory in three Grand Finals in 2001 , 2003 and 2005, the Challenge Cup in 2003 and to three World Club Championships in 2002, 2004 and 2006.[/i

We have been one victory away from the GF in the last two seasons being knocked out at Headingley by the eventually winners. Nobby knows when the team need to peak which is in the playoffs. Peaking in pro sport is an art form now and Nobby and Forshaw will have a plan when this is supposed to happen if they get it right then we will come home with our tails up at the business end of the season.

Why are fans panicing after two games and booing the team off, are we that fickle? Some of us still trudge off with 10mins to go, whats that about, got a pan of chips on? You dont win SL by thumping Wake at home in the first game.

Ive heard one or two people suggesting that Nobby gets the chop and we bring Ellery or Shaun Edwards, what can they do that Nobby doesnt already, they dont know the team any better. Lets not get into a Football mentality of sack the coach when it doesnt go rite all the time.

Riddell has not set the world on fire yet but the guy had a bad knee injury at Parra at the end of last season, why do the whingers on the GMR phone in seem to think a week in Lanzarote will suddenly make supermen out of the squad, every other team has a pre-season camp too!!!

The key will be plays four and five will be the key this year down the oppositions end of the field, we will have to see if Smith can fill Barretts boots.

Dont panic Mr Mannering, Keep the Faith.'"

Its not 2 games though its 2 seasons of consistantly poor performance.

Its great coming home with our tails up, but pointless is we have given ourselves too much to do.

A new coach you would hope would alter our game plan that is the single most self destructive i have ever seen in pro rugby, to name 1 of many other advantages of brining in a new coach.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13802_1335794682.jpg
The new Saints statue looks like Andy Farrell!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13802.jpg

Quote: jonh "Its not 2 games though its 2 seasons of consistantly poor performance.

Its great coming home with our tails up, but pointless is we have given ourselves too much to do.

A new coach you would hope would alter our game plan that is the single most self destructive i have ever seen in pro rugby, to name 1 of many other advantages of brining in a new coach.'"

I dont agree mate, one win away from the GF last two seasons, beaten by the winners.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stusavage "I dont agree mate, one win away from the GF last two seasons, beaten by the winners.'"

But what about all the boring crap you had to watch leading up to the play offs? Doesn't the quality of our play concern you at all?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13802_1335794682.jpg

Quote: jinkin jimmy "But what about all the boring crap you had to watch leading up to the play offs? Doesn't the quality of our play concern you at all?'"

Yes it does especially when Saints play an exciting brand of RL. But looking at Nobbys achievements to date we havent dont that bad i dont think. We are over loaded on backs so maybe moving the ball a bit more would be pleasing on the eye. I met Tony Smith two years ago and he said that Leeds and Saints make the most errors in their own 22, but are the most successfull teams.

To answer your question we are methodical and boring but havent gone too bad.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8127No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm in the pro Noble camp too!
Just don't see the point of unloading him at all. Whoever came in things wouldn't be able to change quickly.
He and IL have achieved a lot. Our team was a shambles and heading for NL1. He kept us up but the inherited problems will take years to resolve.
He is trying to establish a squad that will play together for years by bringing in the accelerate squad as a direct pathway to the first team.
End of this season a number of players will go but perhaps none from our academy. They will provide the bedrock of our squad for years to come.
He will replace those that leave by better players as he has done this year and that can only be done at the end of players' contracts.
The rugby has been poor to watch but some of our players aren't the best.
My worry is that he'll walk or take up a better offer.
I can't see Tony Smith lasting in the England job and Noble could do that full time no problem and bring success to the national squad.
Unless he gets that job or one in Aus I would rather him stay.
Stability at Wigan is still needed, he and Ian Lenagan are bringing that.

59 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
59 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12158203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
This weeks disciplinary
Captain Hook
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m