FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > TRANSISITION SEASON?
53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McClennan "Saints have made six Grand Finals in a row and I'm pretty sure at the start of at least three of those seasons we were heading into a transition season, including this year.

There are concerns you may have over your team but there are also youngsters who will be a year older so there's no reason to believe you won't be challenging for trophies. Even if your new coach isn't as effective as Madge the residuals of his culture will still be there and the players have had two years now knowing what it takes to compete. That doesn't evaporate overnight.'"

i would much prefer getting to 1 gf and winning it in a hack canter.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

In terms of recruitment there is not alot to fear. Most teams are now finding; with the rules for federation players that, damn we've got no youth set up.

Any team with a half decent youth set up has the advantage now. If you look at some of the signings for next year, tony tonks, chris hill, jamie ellis, teams are now raiding the championship like they haven't in years, because all the overseas loop holes are pretty much closed.

We've even seen Hull raiding Bradford for their number 1 player. Although it was hardly a raid, more like a ebay sale. Those cheap season ticket have to be paid for one way or another.

I can't see many big names coming from the NRL for the next few years with the factors of image rights going, £v$ and the huge NRL TV contract.

Basically it's going to be older players and dog molesters only until the SL can even up the cash.

So for wigan it could be as shallow a transition period as Saints have had with youth filling the gaps, left by the older elite. Finals are likely.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2513No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50582_1268771718.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50582.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "In terms of recruitment there is not alot to fear. Most teams are now finding with the rules for federation players that damn we've got no youth set up.

Any team with a half decent youth set up has the advantage now. If you look at some of the signings, tony tonks, chris hill, jamie ellis, teams are now raiding the championship like they have'nt in years, because all the overseas loop holes are closed.

We've even seen Hull raiding Bradford for their number 1 player. Although it was hardly a raid, more like a ebay sale.

I can't see many big names coming from the NRL for the next few years with the factors of image rights going, £v$ and the huge NRL TV contract.

Basically it's going to be older players and dog molesters only until the SL can even up the cash.

So for wigan it could be as shallow a transition period as Saints have had with youth filling the gaps, left by the older elite.'"

Thats a good post with a lot of sense in it. I just had the image of SL coaches typing dog molesters in google icon_lol.gif

Does that mean we think that the teams down the bottom with poor youth set ups are gonna get even worse? For me last season the gap between teams at the top and bottom seemed huge on quite a few occasions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Saints and Leeds are this season having a transistion season and have still got to the GF due to the playoffs.

Ive said it over and over again, play an under 23 teams up to about beginning of May. Let the over 23's have a massive break to about April then drip feed them back into the first team then, have them all back in the first team by the July and firing on all cylinders by the August. We may be 6th,7th,8th in the league but if they are all fully fit and fresh going into the playoffs they'd have as good a chance as anyone.
It would be revolutionary but if we win the GF then nobody cares because we've won when it matters and not from Feb to May when all the games are totally irrelevant and akin to pre-season friendlies.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We finished 2nd in the League and won the C Cup.
So of the clubs who finished behind us, which does anyone think will end next season higher than us in the League?
Saints have lost Graham, Pryce and Eastmond. The last two haven't done much for them though this year. Graham is irreplaceable! They are the only club that might.
Hudds flatter to deceive, no chance!
Leeds, many of the team over 30 yet have made the GF. They can do that but
consistency over a season I think is beyond this team now.
Catalans. A great squad who, more than any club, could make their home ground a fortress. All the travelling is their undoing.
No other club comes close.
Wire will be the ones to beat again but their squad has a lot of over 30s in it. How many season they have left in them only time will tell.

As for Wigan, Coley and Hoffman gone. Fielden will replace Coley and Hock take Hoffman's place as the left sided 2nd row. Knowing Shaun Wane's coaching history it would be sensible to think he will bring some of our U20s players into the first team in 2012. Only one or maybe two a game but a number of them over a season. I do think we are very well placed for the future and for next season as much as any. Looking forward to it already!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Dougy "Saints and Leeds are this season having a transistion season and have still got to the GF due to the playoffs.

Ive said it over and over again, play an under 23 teams up to about beginning of May. Let the over 23's have a massive break to about April then drip feed them back into the first team then, have them all back in the first team by the July and firing on all cylinders by the August. We may be 6th,7th,8th in the league but if they are all fully fit and fresh going into the playoffs they'd have as good a chance as anyone.
It would be revolutionary but if we win the GF then nobody cares because we've won when it matters and not from Feb to May when all the games are totally irrelevant and akin to pre-season friendlies.'"

If that is how they become because of the format of the play offs the fans will stop going to league games and the clubs will go bust. We have just broken our own record for the best attended side in the league and we would not have done that if we were deliberately sticking out reserve sides for half the season.

The club markets the league games strongly because it needs the revenue and it could not do that if the league were reduced to such a low level of importance as you suggest. If we have a play off format that allows teams to plan on doing as you say and finishing 6th, 7th or 8th does not matter then the format is wrong because it will have allowed teams to do just that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

League games get better attendances than cup or playoff games so the fans vote with their feet as to the importance of games.

The Arguement for less teams could become stronger if the raid on the championship becomes a tidal wave.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "League games get better attendances than cup or playoff games so the fans vote with their feet as to the importance of games.'"

Exactly but you won't maintain the large league crowds if fans start to perceive the games as pointless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach531
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Exactly but you won't maintain the large league crowds if fans start to perceive the games as pointless.'"

many games under Noble were pointless. he was always building up to a good run in the play offs

I may have been as well not watching a game all season and then turn up for the play off icon_biggrin.gif At least the last 2 years have seen a team wanting to win week in week out. i can handle losing to a better side but not when we arent trying

As long as the team turn up and give it everything next season that's all i ask for, the results will then speak for themselves

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: The pieman "many games under Noble were pointless. he was always building up to a good run in the play offs

I may have been as well not watching a game all season and then turn up for the play off
Absolutely fine to have that attitude Pieman. If watching Wigan win pointless games during the season is what you want out of your attendance, then you are following the right competition. You must be well satisfied and good luck to you (and I actually mean that with no sarcasm).

However, personally I want Wigan to win the competition. If that is to be decided by whoever comes top after the regular rounds, then I would be completely aligned with you. Currently, however, it is not. The structure of the competition means that the regular rounds mean very little.

As I posted before, last year this didn't matter since Wigan were so far ahead of the rest, that this inherent flaw was not exposed. This year it has been. No sour grapes here, fair play to Stains and Leeds who have adapted to the system perfectly.

Imo Maguire has failed in this respect. He hasn't reacted to the rules of the competition as well as he might have done. Good coach, (not a great one yet, but hey he's young).

As for the suggestion that Wigan in some way "targetted" the cup at the expense of the league, then frankly I find this shocking. If they do this next year then perhaps they could tell us so we can make better informed choices about where we spend our attendance money.

The reality of the situation is that the playoffs are here to stay. The formats will be tinkered with to ensure maximum revenue, not equity. Sky will no doubt bleat on about how "great" it is that a team finishing 5th has made the final. Is it really that great (notwithstanding my complement to Leeds above)?

Let's just look at this :

Wigan finish 2nd and have two games against top 4 opposition
Leeds finish 5th and have 2 easy games and one against top 4 opposition.

The reality is that any of the semi finalists would have coasted against the other teams in the playoffs. The league is simply not competitive enough for anything else, and therefore for this format to be equitable.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Dougy "Saints and Leeds are this season having a transistion season and have still got to the GF due to the playoffs.

It would be revolutionary but if we win the GF then nobody cares because we've won when it matters and not from Feb to May when all the games are totally irrelevant and akin to pre-season friendlies.'"

Would probably be a very effective strategy. Sadly the RFL would no doubt fine the clubs for such actions, on account of the inevitable revenue drop.

The RFL want to have their cake and eat it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach531
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: XBrettKennyX "Would probably be a very effective strategy. Sadly the RFL would no doubt fine the clubs for such actions, on account of the inevitable revenue drop.

The RFL want to have their cake and eat it.'"

there was a small element of sarcasm in my initial comments based on what Noble used to do

I want to watch Wigan win every week, win the cup and win the Grand final, as does every fan of every other club

the reality is that there can only be one winner of the cup and one winner of the GF, there is also the reality that we will get beat in some games by a better team and i can accept that

I dont agree with winning nothing at the end of 27 matches and have sympathy with Wire fans this year and saints fans in recent years. Coming top IMO should be rewarded more than it currently is. this is the measure of how good you have

However i know that due to SKY etc its all about winning a couple of games at the end of the season, not about what has gone before

fair play to saints and leeds for getting there, they have done what they needed when it mattered, however it doesnt mean that i think it is right

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was being sarcastic in my comments, but worryingly this is what teams could do. The playoffs will ruin the game in this country if everyone thinks straight and realise the regular season games are pointless. League games will start getting playoff attendances and the playoffs will get regular season attendances and that will destroy our sport. And the RFL will be to blame.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Dougy "I was being sarcastic in my comments, but worryingly this is what teams could do. The playoffs will ruin the game in this country if everyone thinks straight and realise the regular season games are pointless. League games will start getting playoff attendances and the playoffs will get regular season attendances and that will destroy our sport. And the RFL will be to blame.'"

Only a fool would suggest the regular season is pointless.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7349_1382076828.jpeg
CHAMP20NS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7349.jpeg

Quote: McClennan "Only a fool would suggest the regular season is pointless.'"

FIOS

53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4736328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Coach of the Year
The Speculat
12m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
DSJ1983
13m