JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I think we need to be careful with the likes of Hampshire, Williams and Burgess. The truth is that this is in reality their first season outside the u19's age group'"

How is that the truth?

Hampshire played 7 first-team games in 2013 and 8 last year (would've been more if he wasn't injured).
Williams played 4 in 2013 and 23 last year.
And Burgess played almost every game last year.

They've either been around or certainly at least training full-time with the first team for at least 18 months now. Did Williams or Burgess even line up for the U19's last year?

Hell, Bateman is only a year older than them but we don't give him the same slack.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I think we need to be careful with the likes of Hampshire, Williams and Burgess. The truth is that this is in reality their first season outside the u19's age group and they're going to make mistakes. The last thing we meed is another Kev Brown, Luke Robinson scenario where the fans get on their backs and they lose confidence. Hopefully they'll get around the 15 -20 games played this year. They should both be very important players for us in the coming years.

On Burgess, yesterday we had couple of "fans" shouting "F OFF" to Australia, I stress it was only one or two that I heard, but it's stupidity of the highest order IMO.'"

In a sense it is the structure of the game that is at fault. Wigan think they have future stars here and are being forced to give opportunities to kids in order to keep them happy, otherwise they move elsewhere. However it is painfully clear that these kids are nowhere near ready to play full back or half back in a top Super League team. Ideally they should be given another year or two at Reserve team/A team/ U 20 level before being promoted to the first team. Wigan are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Hampshire/Williams aren't played then they start getting itchy feet, we then stand to lose them.

On Burgess. I agree that fans should NEVER barrack their own players, it's unforgivable. But Joe has opened himself up to the mindless idiots, and he will get more of it before long. My guess is that Manfredi will be playing a lot more than Burgess. Mind you Joe may need to get used to it (the barracking), Aussie crowds are not universally known for their clear minded and even handed attitude to Poms!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach709No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The first 40 was worrying yesterday but I remember having the same thoughts in pre-season in 2013 particularly against Wire for Westwood's testimonial. That day it looked like men against boys in regards to size, likewise yesterday. It is obvious Cunningham has bulked up the Saints side in terms of both fat and muscle, even players like Wilkin and Turner are carrying substantially more weight this year by the looks of it. Now carrying body fat in is not necessarily a bad think in RL, there are some sports science experts claiming that there is no need to train for body fat loss for events <120 minutes. I was surprised how lean and small our side was compared to Saints.

We also need to consider that we were missing 6/7 players yesterday whom the majority will be in the first 17. It's a long season and I'm not stressed about yesterday as we at least showed some heart in the second half. I'm pretty sure we'll be right for Widnes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Nice of you to be magnanimous in victory but I'm not sure you'd feel the same if the tables were turned. The game was VERY competitive yesterday, and Wigan were bullied out of it. It was over as a contest at half time. The score in the end flattered us.

I expected us to come out and play better in the second half (and we did) because Shaun Wane's teams NEVER get on the wrong side of an absolute drubbing. But really, we were playing for pride. The manner of the defeat is very worrying.'"

Widnes beat us last week mate. Didn't you win the friendly last year and went on to win the double.

These games mean nothing in reality.

adi
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner417
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url=http://www.adigaskell.org/blog:2bbtswqe]My blog[/url:2bbtswqe]:

How did we do in pre-season games last year?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Saints were missing Wilkin and LMS out of their pack we were missing Mossop, Tautai, Flower and Lockers. We started with Sutton as starting prop which IMO was always a mistake. A back row of Bateman, Faz and Patrick is undersized too. All with 100% hindsight of course!
If we play that pack v Hudds, Wire, Catalans, Saints again and Leeds we'll get battered just the same as yesterday.
FWIW I reckon Shaun's pack v Widnes in 10 days will be something like -
Crosby, McIlorum, Clubb, J Tomkins, L Farrell & O'Loughlin with Mossop, Tautai & Patrick off the bench. That lot can be as aggressive and abrasive as anyone wants. When Flower returns in April our pack will be as good as any and better than most.

BTW anyone know what Dan Sarginson's injury is?

RankPostsTeam
International Star437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72761_1404204935.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72761.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "Saints were missing Wilkin and LMS out of their pack we were missing Mossop, Tautai, Flower and Lockers. We started with Sutton as starting prop which IMO was always a mistake. A back row of Bateman, Faz and Patrick is undersized too. All with 100% hindsight of course!
If we play that pack v Hudds, Wire, Catalans, Saints again and Leeds we'll get battered just the same as yesterday.
FWIW I reckon Shaun's pack v Widnes in 10 days will be something like -
Crosby, McIlorum, Clubb, J Tomkins, L Farrell & O'Loughlin with Mossop, Tautai & Patrick off the bench. That lot can be as aggressive and abrasive as anyone wants. When Flower returns in April our pack will be as good as any and better than most.

BTW anyone know what Dan Sarginson's injury is?'"

Not sure what it is but he said he's now fit to play and could get a few minutes against Workington.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29679
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I read Sarginson had a groin injury somewhere and he's touch and go for Widnes. Wane didn't give any guarantees on anybody being fit for Workington or Widnes but he did seem to suggest some of the guys that missed yesterday would play in his interview on Wigan TV.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1598
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Before I start I'd just like to say that I'm not reading too much into preseason matches so my top 3 is still Wire, Wigan, Saints.

Are any of you concerned about your preseason results? Any players that have surprised or failed to deliver? Thoughts on the season ahead after the preseason friendlies?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

I think we need to cut Williams some slack. Neither of the half backs will look back on the game with any satisfaction.
I've said previously that this year really is a transitional season due to the change at halfback and prop.
I didn't go to the game but watched on Wigan tv and to me Saints basically out "Wiganed" us. They were far more aggressive, energetic and in the first half made very few basic errors. They will be the team to beat this season.
I personally think that Williams and Smith are too similar however, SW knows them both far better than me so you have to give the partnership time to gel.
The overall poor display by our forwards was far more worrying for me. Size is obviously important however, we lacked direction and composure.
SW has got a busy couple of weeks in front of him to sort out some of the issues but he will learned several things from yesterday over and above the performance of the half backs. Tomkins ain't a centre and he never will be. Hampshire does not look like a full back and in all probability won't be the long term solution to this problem. Crosby needs to run with same aggression he puts in his tackling
I think going forward he will start with Hampshire on the bench with either Williams or Smith covering the hooker role if MM can't/doesn't play the full 80 minutes.
Overall a very disappointing performance but hopefully it's a case of getting this type of performance out of our system.
I for one expect an up down season until Flower is back and Mossop has confirmed his ongoing match fitness. A little patience will be needed in the short term.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29679
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I heard somebody coming out of the ground saying Williams is rubbish and calling him not fit to burn which is a typical attitude in some sections of our support! The lad is a top class young player but he needs time and support to develop and will have his ups and downs. To judge him on a game were half his eventual first choice pack is missing and write him off is pathetic.

I said in the off season I have no worries going with the three young lads because they'll push each other and drive each other on. If Williams does struggle early doors this season then Hampshire may get a go but in truth I think Sam Powell will get the spot when he's back. I think Powell may have been kept away from the 6 jersey to keep him away from the limelight a little and to take the pressure off.

Whoever gets the spot short term or longer term needs patience and most will show it. Wigan have looked like the side that turned up at Bradford and Wakey last year in these friendlies but come Widnes I expect the standards that we showed in the last few weeks of the season and the play offs. That side will give whoever is at 6 far more room to work with then they've had these past two weeks.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

Quote: adi "How did we do in pre-season games last year?'"

Must admit I am not a big fan of pre-season friendlies. For the most part they are simply an opportunity for the players to blow away the cobwebs and for the coach to try a few different combinations.

By the way Jerri Seu Seu was an awesome player for Wigan.......in the friendlies!

RankPostsTeam
International Star437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72761_1404204935.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72761.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal " I've said previously that this year really is a transitional season due to the change at halfback and prop. '"

For the love of God PLEASE do not use the phrase "TRANSITIONAL YEAR" again. It seems to have become a way of happy clappers justifying failure at our club. We've heard it every season for the past 10 years as well. Even when we won the double!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach914No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28256.gif
:28256.gif

I don't see what the great panic is about our pack. The only top end player we have lost is Scott Taylor. Who didn't even play the last few months of the year or in the playoffs.

Taylor/Dudson/James OUT
Tautai/Mossop/Patrick IN

6 is an issue but personally I think Sam Powell will have that spot nailed within the first half of the year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Think your all going overboard about pack weakness given the players you had out.

Having said that, well be interesting to see how reliable SOL and Mossop are this year and there appears to be some confusion in the halves but it's a long season and the young lads will be different players in September to what they are now.

66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.623046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
CobraCraig
7m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
15m