OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33622_1304362610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33622.jpg

quote]
It's all a ploy to so Leeds can be successful, as is having no reserves grade, The game is dying thanks to the machinations of Gary Hetherington and his beautiful wife'"
]

Weird.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Les Norton "Weird.'"

Every team has one..... we have two icon_biggrin.gifOH:

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1911
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75893_1553638551.jpg
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75893.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Every team has one..... we have two a014.gif a014.gif a014.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach322
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18600.gif
:18600.gif

Quote: The_Enforcer "The salary cap is killing the sport. Clubs have no real incentive to try up their income as they cant spend it on world class players. Likewise the big money sponsors are put off as they want their brand to be across the chest of a household name not little Jimmy who came through the academy and showed great promise at Wigan St Pats. In its current format, the cap stops teams from prospering and growing and keep the game stagnant and unattractive to big investment.'"

The problem is that sponsors can't make home grown player's into household names because if I remember correctly,any sponsorship deals count on the cap, let player's earn whatever they can through external sponsorship then their faces will become more widely recognised and help to raise the profile of the game

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: Warrior Winger "The problem is that sponsors can't make home grown player's into household names because if I remember correctly,any sponsorship deals count on the cap, let player's earn whatever they can through external sponsorship then their faces will become more widely recognised and help to raise the profile of the game'"

I think you can get external sponsors but they can't have anything to do with the rugby club.

I'm sure that Bradford got busted a good few years ago due to Iestyn Harris receiving some money from a personal appearance or endorsement. That wasn't a problem until that same company then advertised in the match day magazine, effectively making them a club sponsor.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1029
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

Adverts on SKY today publishing all the 2109 events we can see on SKY SPORTS no mention of SL whatsoever even ladies RU got a mention .All the major sports football,golf,motor, racing,rugby union ,tennis,
darts among others. Its a bad situation when SL does not even get a mention seeing as we provide nine months of viewing culminating with the GF .This is why we need a Eddie Hearn figure .

RankPostsTeam
International Star1426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jaws1 "Adverts on SKY today publishing all the 2109 events we can see on SKY SPORTS no mention of SL whatsoever even ladies RU got a mention .All the major sports football,golf,motor, racing,rugby union ,tennis,
darts among others. Its a bad situation when SL does not even get a mention seeing as we provide nine months of viewing culminating with the GF .This is why we need a Eddie Hearn figure .'"

It has been said before but perhaps we need a modern day Packer versus Murdock. Sky have become complacent that we have no other outlet so perhaps we need someone who understands new media. The money is out there but we need to work out how to tap into it. I remember Bill Bryson, the American author, mentioning that Britain can do amazing things with virtually nothing. He mentioned that Oxford University, our wealthiest university, earns less in endowments each year than the Ohio University American Football team. That team earns in a year more than enough to fund Super League in total for a decade.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5486
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jaws1 "Adverts on SKY today publishing all the 2109 events we can see on SKY SPORTS no mention of SL whatsoever even ladies RU got a mention .All the major sports football,golf,motor, racing,rugby union ,tennis,
darts among others. Its a bad situation when SL does not even get a mention seeing as we provide nine months of viewing culminating with the GF .This is why we need a Eddie Hearn figure .'"

Excellent post. Our contract with sky has made RL so exclusive that public exposure is minimal. The game needs free to air games just like RU gets on BBC ,ITV, channels 4 & 5. The game will never have any household names when our sole broadcaster starves us of publicity.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I couldn’t agree more. Last week Sean O’Loughlin was on the picture board on A Question of Sport and Phil Tufnell had to pass, despite having Jon Wilkin’s girlfriend on his team.
It’s bad when so called sports experts don’t recognise the current England RL captain and it adds weight to Eddie Hearn’s comments about the game lacking superstars.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I couldn’t agree more. Last week Sean O’Loughlin was on the picture board on A Question of Sport and Phil Tufnell had to pass, despite having Jon Wilkin’s girlfriend on his team.
It’s bad when so called sports experts don’t recognise the current England RL captain and it adds weight to Eddie Hearn’s comments about the game lacking superstars.'"

If that doesn't worry the powers-that-be in our game, then nothing will.

I keep telling myself that with the removal of Woods and the sidelining of the RFL, things are finally moving the right way. But we seem to have fallen so far that it's going to be a long, slow, cautious climb back to prominence, if it happens at all - without some kind of major personality injection at the publicity end.

I understand people's hesitation about the Hearns, but at present we can't seem to sell ourselves at all outside the heartlands (and not even there from our falling crowds). How can that happen when we are supposedly TGG?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Lockers is probably not as well-known to The Great British Public as someone like Michael van Gerwen. More's the pity. I too was and am hopeful regarding recent changes, but something needs to happen, and it looks like the Hearns will not be getting involved in the foreseeable future.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I couldn’t agree more. Last week Sean O’Loughlin was on the picture board on A Question of Sport and Phil Tufnell had to pass, despite having Jon Wilkin’s girlfriend on his team.
It’s bad when so called sports experts don’t recognise the current England RL captain and it adds weight to Eddie Hearn’s comments about the game lacking superstars.'"

Totally agree. And while the SL/RFL should promote the players, they themselves could do more by prodding their agents into generating some publicity. For some reason, this aspect of an agent's role is neglected entirely in RL. Not in other sports though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Clearwing "Totally agree. And while the SL/RFL should promote the players, they themselves could do more by prodding their agents into generating some publicity. For some reason, this aspect of an agent's role is neglected entirely in RL. Not in other sports though.'"

You can't expect too much. RL players' agents are too busy keeping the players-to-RU-then-the-NRL-then-back-again carousel going.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1322No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I would have liked for him to have got involved in someway

But our biggest problem in my view is our relationship with sky and the exclusivity they receive. The BBC get better figures than sky do for rugby league. They are our best bet of getting better national exposure. Why can we not have a Sunday afternoon game on free to air TV??

The argument that clubs don't have the money, imagine if you were trying to sell Wigan rlfc to roman abrhamovich. Hey roman Wigan have just gone up for sale, brilliant he replies where did they finish last year? 2nd but they won the grand final, great he replies but I want to finish first, whose the best j5 players in the world get them and send me the bill.... Ahhh sorry roman we can only spend 1.8m a year on players wages aggg we'll love that then. Those 5 players would put bums on seats increase profile and attract better sponsors and allow us a better negotiation with sky.

Unfortunately the disharmony besween rfl n super league makes it hard for real changes to be made.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dezzies_right_hook "I would have liked for him to have got involved in someway

But our biggest problem in my view is our relationship with sky and the exclusivity they receive. The BBC get better figures than sky do for rugby league. They are our best bet of getting better national exposure. Why can we not have a Sunday afternoon game on free to air TV??

The argument that clubs don't have the money, imagine if you were trying to sell Wigan rlfc to roman abrhamovich. Hey roman Wigan have just gone up for sale, brilliant he replies where did they finish last year? 2nd but they won the grand final, great he replies but I want to finish first, whose the best j5 players in the world get them and send me the bill.... Ahhh sorry roman we can only spend 1.8m a year on players wages aggg we'll love that then. Those 5 players would put bums on seats increase profile and attract better sponsors and allow us a better negotiation with sky.

Unfortunately the disharmony besween rfl n super league makes it hard for real changes to be made.'"

Or you could say to Roman that we won the trophy that everyone wants to win. you can have 2 world class players and pay them as much as you want as only a minimul amount counts on the salary cap but dont expect crowds to rise massivley as its only a town and we maximise the numbers we have and could increase maybe by 1500 at most no matter who we bring in as proven this year with Benny Barba over the hill. but we can assure you Mr Abramovic that you will not lose anything like the amount of money your current football team loses.

More importantly the do gooders of Wigan will all be out on there high horses should he want to take over as he has a chequred past and they dont like that. well unless its a player they like as in Bateman or Flower.

48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.14208984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Khlav Kalash
16m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
30m