FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > O/T Dropping like flies !!!!
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
MjM
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6806No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
86.jpg
Let all the doubters keep doubting and those who believe keep believing. We’re only interested in those in the bubble. Anyone who wants to come in the bubble, you can come in. But you’ve got to keep believing.:86.jpg

Quote: tank123 "Leeds had to delay finishing one of their stands due to a bill, '"
Do you just make this stuff up?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "It hasnt resulted in a reduction in attendances for the past 7 when only 2 sides who finished top in the qualifying competition won the whole competition, why would it now?'"

Silly me, you are quite right. RL is in a wonderful place. Our best players are looking to move to the NRL or Union, we have clubs with dire financial positions just scrapeing by, the quality over the season is awful, our national team has never been worse, we have so little media attention its embarrassing.... The much vaunted playoff system attracts awful attendances, but can be justified because one of the top 4 clubs finished 5th and won it twice, therefore causeing people to class it as a success!!! Yeah all is wonderful.

But hey!! Good news!!! Leeds are successful within the current system so all is well!!!

eusa_whistle.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Wigan Peer "Silly me, you are quite right. RL is in a wonderful place. Our best players are looking to move to the NRL or Union, we have clubs with dire financial positions just scrapeing by, the quality over the season is awful, our national team has never been worse, we have so little media attention its embarrassing.... The much vaunted playoff system attracts awful attendances, but can be justified because one of the top 4 clubs finished 5th and won it twice, therefore causeing people to class it as a success!!! Yeah all is wonderful.

But hey!! Good news!!! Leeds are successful within the current system so all is well!!!

That’s quite a straw man you have built there.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Better Salford means better league, better league means more money from tv deal, better tv deal means everyone wins. We will always have that problem when we expand the league. We wont have 14 teams worth of talent if we only have 12 teams.'"

Are you pitching for a job at the RFL by any chance?

Because that's the sort of empty hyperbole they like.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

What specifically are you saying is hyperbolic in that statement?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "What specifically are you saying is hyperbolic in that statement?'"

Okay, we'll change 'empty hyperbole' to 'empty rhetoric'. The point stands. You've got the job.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Cruncher "Okay, we'll change 'empty hyperbole' to 'empty rhetoric'. The point stands. You've got the job.'"

Doesnt seem anything empty in it either.,

Which bit do you disagree with, that a better salford would result in a better tv deal? That a better TV deal is good for everyone?

That we wont have 14 teams worth of SL level players if we only have 12 SL Clubs?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Doesnt seem anything empty in it either.,

Which bit do you disagree with, that a better salford would result in a better tv deal? That a better TV deal is good for everyone?

That we wont have 14 teams worth of SL level players if we only have 12 SL Clubs?'"

Your lack of overall realism is the bit I disagree with.

Everyone wants 14 top teams. Everyone wants a strong Salford, strong Wakey, strong London etc. But whether those things can ever be achieved in the current state-of-affairs is the issue.

The argument that we can only strengthen by concentrating the talent and funds in a hardcore of 10 or 12 teams is a valid one, because it's constructive and it offers a viable way forward. Hollow shouting about how we can never have 14 great teams if we only have 12 to start isn't much of a rebuff. In fact, in this context it's about as useful a contribution as saying pigs won't learn to fly until they get wings. Both are true, but neither actually means very much.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Why would we ignore that fact though? Its quite important. If we only have as many teams as we have players right now, then the league is never going to grow.

And having a strong Salford, Wakefield, London etc is obviously what everyone wants, and yes there is a question over whether we will ever get there, maybe we will and maybe we wont and I accept that, but I also know that Salford, Wakefield, London etc wont ever be strong SL sides if they aren’t in SL.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: goobervision "But seriously - where has this view of shrinking the league come from? Why do people think it's a good idea? Less games

I don't think going back to semi-pro will increase quality but it is the only way you could have P&R given the amount of money in the game now.

As to fewer teams = less players exposed to the top flight that isn't the reality. It would mean less players exposed to SL but SL isn't what I call top flight at the moment and the motivation for reducing the number of teams is a higher percentage of games are of better quality. Fewer games, yes, but each game is more likely to be a sporting spectacle as opposed to a one sided bore-fest.

Also the reason we have a top eight system at the moment has IMO little to do with the quality of the RL on offer. It is all to do with trying to coin more income from the extra round this format gives. The fact the attendances for round one are basically rubbish shows the fans are not fooled.

Similarly if we reduced the games in the league by going to 12 teams we wouldn't be losing a 16K crowd from Wigan's average attendance but a 10K or lower one. For other clubs less well supported the loss of fixtures against very poor sides would have even less impact. It would be offset anyway by the Sky money being divided by 12 not 14. Now that may sound like heresy and very selfish to some but people need to get their head around the fact there is only enough cash in the sport to support one professional league.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12150.jpg
It's just WIGAN, nothing else. Get rid of that stupid nickname.:12150.jpg

I don't want it to happen, but, sooner or later, it will.

One rugby.

Within 10 years, I'd guess.

I wouldn't mind betting there are people in both games making serious plans along those lines even now.

RankPostsTeam
International Star993
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63644_1343901350.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3s5hr9kj]Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.[/color:3s5hr9kj]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63644.jpg

Semi-pro is a no for me, so is reducing the size of SL if that means fewer bangs for your bucks. I have seen more resentment this season than ever in the way the game is going. I know there are no easy solutions to the problems, but things must change and soon, dump the meaningless exile games (which helped to spoil our season) bring back P&R, that would at least put some interest back in the game at the bottom end of the league at the end of the season and help boost the championship, and as we keep on saying sort out the play off structure so as to put life back into the weekly rounds.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jackdog "I don't want it to happen, but, sooner or later, it will.

One rugby.

I wouldn't mind betting there are people in both games making serious plans along those lines even now.'"

Sadly, i agree with you on all counts...

MjM
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6806No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
86.jpg
Let all the doubters keep doubting and those who believe keep believing. We’re only interested in those in the bubble. Anyone who wants to come in the bubble, you can come in. But you’ve got to keep believing.:86.jpg

Quote: jackdog "I don't want it to happen, but, sooner or later, it will.

One rugby.

I wouldn't mind betting there are people in both games making serious plans along those lines even now.'"
This is delusional rubbish. How would it possibly be effected and how it could possibly work is beyond me. And, for those who believe that they run the sport (they don't) do you think Sky would sanction the loss of their best rating week to week Summer sport?!

You Wiganers are seriously overstating the present problems in Rugby League, for (IMO) fairly obvious club-centric reasons. Club Rugby Union is in a much worse financial state than Rugby League.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

There'll never be one exclusive code of rugby. No RL or RU fan worth their salt would want to watch a diluted version of the sport they watch. It's feasible that clubs may share a combined playing squad, but the onfield products would never merge, as there'd be no significant audience for it.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.02685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Wanderer
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
4m