JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif
[img:2b6g88ns]http://news.google.co.uk/news/tbn/ryI1dIYrb1oJ[/img:2b6g88ns]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42175.gif

Quote: Mini Rogue "The fact remains though is that they had 7 players in that team who had have all played first team at some point this year, our lads stuffed them and alot of our 21s still qualify for the 18s. Takes some doing that whichever way you look at it.'"

Its a good result for your young lads but that doesn't mean they will be stars in Super League.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif
[img:2b6g88ns]http://news.google.co.uk/news/tbn/ryI1dIYrb1oJ[/img:2b6g88ns]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42175.gif

Quote: cadoo "What would you base it on?

- The fact Wigan won the Grand Final
- The fact Wigan went a year unbeaten
- The fact Wigan finished top.
- The debuts of Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Sean Ainscough, Mark Flanagan
- The fact Sam Tomkins has been voted the best stand off in Super league and is the young player of the year
- The established players who have come through our ranks Joel Tomkins, Mike McIlorum, Paul Prescott, Eamon O'carroll
- The new exciting talent that are coming through Ian Thornley, Josh Vievers, Ben Davies, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson and Joe Mellor

Again I will ask what would you base it on?'"

Reserve League - Super League = Big difference

Yes Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Sean Ainscough, Mark Flanagan have been good in Super League this season but Saints have had a few players do well in Super League as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3064.gif
saint mully wrote: It was disappointing to see the numbers leaving after the Lee Smith try when I was coming back in from the toilets, I could hardly get back in scully = god wrote: We have the worst fans in the league. FACT. What we need is the passion Wigan fans have.:3064.gif

Quote: Wire_85 "Its a good result for your young lads but that doesn't mean they will be stars in Super League.'"

What makes you think the Saints ones will then even though they got stuffed by ours?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif

Quote: Mini Rogue "What makes you think the Saints ones will then even though they got stuffed by ours?'"

Im not saying they will be but a wouldn't write them off because of losing in a reserve GF.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach407No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43508_1283377464.jpg
usury = slavery //maxkeiser.com/ [quote="Geoff"]You misunderstand...putting the bins out in Leeds involves the use of a fire extinguisher...[/quote]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43508.jpg

Why has Rommel's post crediting Wigan for winning the reserves grand final 34 -6 and collecting a trophy for their efforts been removed ? eusa_think.gif

Just posted this on the saints board but it seems to have been locked very quickly . icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3064.gif
saint mully wrote: It was disappointing to see the numbers leaving after the Lee Smith try when I was coming back in from the toilets, I could hardly get back in scully = god wrote: We have the worst fans in the league. FACT. What we need is the passion Wigan fans have.:3064.gif

Quote: Wire_85 "Im not saying they will be but a wouldn't write them off because of losing in a reserve GF.'"

It's not just that though with Saints, they can bring all the youngsters through that they want but as proven this year with the experienced players getting older and picking up even more injuries it tells. Saints will struggle to replace the experienced players with the same quality and the youngsters IMO are only as good at the momet because of the quality they have around them. Same thing happened with us and it's going to happen to Saints, we know what's happening as we've seen the same thing happen at Wigan not so long ago.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif

Quote: Mini Rogue "It's not just that though with Saints, they can bring all the youngsters through that they want but as proven this year with the experienced players getting older and picking up even more injuries it tells. Saints will struggle to replace the experienced players with the same quality and the youngsters IMO are only as good at the momet because of the quality they have around them. Same thing happened with us and it's going to happen to Saints, we know what's happening as we've seen the same thing happen at Wigan not so long ago.'"

I would love to see Saints fall like you have an start finishing 5th an below and there team to become weak, we might actually beat them then but I just can't see them going down hill that much, they need to keep Eastmond though he's key to there future.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: Wire_85 "Reserve League - Super League

But the big difference in Reserve league and Super league applies to every team, Saints included. But do Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Sean Ainscough and Mark Flanagan look like they are struggling in Super League? Sean Ainscough scored 17 tries in 12 games, Lee Mossop got into a team that finished higher than us, Sam Tomkins was voted the best stand off in the league and Mark Flanagan was handed an opportunity to play in the NRL.

The fact that these Saints players that 'do well' in Super League played in the Reserves Grand Final and still got beat to a much younger Wigan side suggests to me that Wigan have the more exciting bunch coming through with far greater potential.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3064.gif

Quote: Wire_85 "I would love to see Saints fall like you have an start finishing 5th an below and there team to become weak, we might actually beat them then but I just can't see them going down hill that much, they need to keep Eastmond though he's key to there future.'"

They've got somethin like 8 or 9 players over the age of 30, that isn't a good sign. They're going to need more than Easmond IMO. Pryce has been pretty average by his standards this year, and I think they will miss Long. Cunningham has only got another season left in him then it's only down to Wellens and Graham. Interesting times ahead at Saints but in the mean time I think there could be more success with Warrington and I don't think we'll be to far behind either, we're only a couple of key players short of being a top team. A better no.7 to partnership Sam and a nasty $hitouse prop, in the same mauld as Morley if I'm honest, hard to find I know but that's only what we're short of.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9679No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42175_1290030542.gif

Quote: cadoo "But the big difference in Reserve league and Super league applies to every team, Saints included. But do Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Sean Ainscough and Mark Flanagan look like they are struggling in Super League? Sean Ainscough scored 17 tries in 12 games, Lee Mossop got into a team that finished higher than us, Sam Tomkins was voted the best stand off in the league and Mark Flanagan was handed an opportunity to play in the NRL.

The fact that these Saints players that 'do well' in Super League played in the Reserves Grand Final and still got beat to a much younger Wigan side suggests to me that Wigan have the more exciting bunch coming through with far greater potential.'"

I said they have done well in SL but that doesn't mean the reserves will turn out the same its all about potential

Sean Ainscough is abit like Kevin Penny great scoring but needs to work on his game.

Wigan always bring good young players through but they are not always good seen as good enough an get shipped out, time will tell with this current group.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

It's as simple as this, the better the youngster the more chance of them making at pro level, we have some of the best youngsters about therefore there far more likely to make it than those of the same age who aren't as good, yes they'll be odd exceptions but predominantly the better youngsters have a greater chance of making it to the top than the weaker one's.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: cadoo "The fact that these Saints players that 'do well' in Super League played in the Reserves Grand Final and still got beat to a much younger Wigan side suggests to me that Wigan have the more exciting bunch coming through with far greater potential.'"

I disagree. I don't know why Wigan fans are throwing the reserves GF around as if it was some kind of proof of anything because it isn't. Our lads could have just been knackered. They have had to play through injuries and because of injuries, just thrown in rather than graduated like Sam Tomkins. They will have suffered for it because the way they have been introduced to first grade has been nowhere near ideal. In fact, quite the opposite.

I would say that both Wigan and Saints are bringing through some talent at present and it would be great to see both teams' youngsters hit the spot as that would mean some cracking matches in the future and possibly some entertaining rugby at international level too. Personally I don't feel the need to say our team is better than your team but instead can happily acknowledge that we're both doing a good job in developing young talent, which is a very positive thing for the future of RL.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SaintsFan "I disagree. I don't know why Wigan fans are throwing the reserves GF around as if it was some kind of proof of anything because it isn't. Our lads could have just been knackered. They have had to play through injuries and because of injuries, just thrown in rather than graduated like Sam Tomkins. They will have suffered for it because the way they have been introduced to first grade has been nowhere near ideal. In fact, quite the opposite.

I would say that both Wigan and Saints are bringing through some talent at present and it would be great to see both teams' youngsters hit the spot as that would mean some cracking matches in the future and possibly some entertaining rugby at international level too. Personally I don't feel the need to say our team is better than your team but instead can happily acknowledge that we're both doing a good job in developing young talent, which is a very positive thing for the future of RL.'"

Well said mate, I hate the petty point scoring from all sides smells far too much like football to me.

I think both Wigan and Saints have some great talent coming through and I applaud both clubs for trying to develop it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "I disagree. I don't know why Wigan fans are throwing the reserves GF around as if it was some kind of proof of anything because it isn't. Our lads could have just been knackered. They have had to play through injuries and because of injuries, just thrown in rather than graduated like Sam Tomkins. They will have suffered for it because the way they have been introduced to first grade has been nowhere near ideal. In fact, quite the opposite.'"

I'm not just throwing the Reserves Grand Final as the only reason. If you read my earlier post I gave numerous other reasons. I think both teams will have had to play through injuries. Wigan more so than others with Liam Farrell being ruled out for the season and numerous graduates into the First team have forced the club to play academy players in their place.(Ask Rogues for the numbers) No excuses really, you say they could have just been 'knackered' well they have played the exact same amount of games as any other teams. I would just accept the better team won and stop clinging to straws.

Quote: SaintsFan "I would say that both Wigan and Saints are bringing through some talent at present and it would be great to see both teams' youngsters hit the spot as that would mean some cracking matches in the future and possibly some entertaining rugby at international level too. Personally I don't feel the need to say our team is better than your team but instead can happily acknowledge that we're both doing a good job in developing young talent, which is a very positive thing for the future of RL.'"

The argument was never really about whose side is better.(Although I believe the Wigan team is). It was justification of the success of the Wigan RL reserve team with a Dire fan, you took it upon yourself to comment. I too hope for more battles in the future seeing Wigan and Saints lads go for it and then join together to represent England and Lancashire.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg

Quote: Wire_85 "I said they have done well in SL but that doesn't mean the reserves will turn out the same its all about potential'"

Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Mark Flanagan and Sean Ainscough are the reserves. I know we can't make any irrational assumptions that every player from that Reserves team will turn out the same but we can assume that we are doing something right to have had the success with the players mentioned.

It's not all about potential at all. It's about fulfilling your potential.

Quote: Wire_85 "Sean Ainscough is abit like Kevin Penny great scoring but needs to work on his game. '"

I think every player in the world of Rugby League can always work on their game. I have seen so called 'established' stars like Amos Roberts who has had well over 200 games in the NRL make the same mistakes Sean Ainscough has made but not near enough the creativity.

Quote: Wire_85 "Wigan always bring good young players through but they are not always good seen as good enough an get shipped out, time will tell with this current group.'"

Under previous management I may have considered that a fair comment. But the new regime at Wigan has been soley focused around our young players. We haven't signed any players for next season, instead,we have chosen to promote from within. Our entire marketing campaign for Season Ticket renewals is based around the young lads at the club. We have used any space left over on the salary cap to reward our youngsters with long term contracts. Gone are the days when young lads aren't given an opportunity to show what they can do. If any players are to leave Wigan it will be through them not fulfilling their potential or lack of desire to make it at the top level and not through not being given the opportunity and going for the short fix with an Australian player which can only be good for the Wigan RL club and England.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
6m
Film game
Boss Hog
12m