JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I agree that we need to compete with the NRL in the amount of salary cap ceiling, and that funding must either come from TV, sponsorship or benefactors. I just don't see loans being the answer.
The other problem we have are chairmen who won't let other backers in without receiving either some, or all, of the funds they've put in. The bottom line is getting cash into the game, when currently, we have some chairman who won't commit any further cash to their clubs.

You've mentioned Football, F1 and Cricket, which all have their dedicated Sky channels. We don't appear in the promo's like we used to do, and were down the pecking order at Sky. Our next TV is critical, and I think were going to be disappointed.

It's going to be extremely difficult, but agree that something needs to be done, without mortgaging the future.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17196
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38352_1407962301.jpg
Packs Win Games Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class #onceawirealwaysawire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38352.jpg

Quote: MorePlaymakersNeeded "I agree that we need to compete with the NRL in the amount of salary cap ceiling, and that funding must either come from TV, sponsorship or benefactors. I just don't see loans being the answer.
The other problem we have are chairmen who won't let other backers in without receiving either some, or all, of the funds they've put in. The bottom line is getting cash into the game, when currently, we have some chairman who won't commit any further cash to their clubs.

You've mentioned Football, F1 and Cricket, which all have their dedicated Sky channels. We don't appear in the promo's like we used to do, and were down the pecking order at Sky. Our next TV is critical, and I think were going to be disappointed.

It's going to be extremely difficult, but agree that something needs to be done, without mortgaging the future.'"

Between RL Sl/NRL and RU domestic and internationals and reruns....there's enough to have a dedicated rugby channel between us.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: post "Other sports do it, do you think Formula 1 is sustainable? Or football? Or Cricket?

There’s two ways we could get out of this vicious circle and that’s either removing the cap and allowing teams to spend as they wish and raise funds however they can whether it be going into a load of debt, having a wealthy board of directors/investors, having a wealthy owner or pulling their fingers out, making a proper marketing and sales team who can go out and secure sponsors and come up with ideas to make money, or

increase the cap with extra funding coming from Sky’s TV money to allow us to compete with Rugby Union and NRL. It would need increasing to at least match the NRL if we are to attract a better standard of player.'"

How could we possibly increase the cap to match that of the NRL when the TV deal, attendances and income are way below that of the NRL.
If we increased the cap to the same as the NRL it would be more than half the SL clubs annual income and leave the likes of Wigan, Saints & Warrington with only a couple of million to pay for everything else. It’s entirely impractical.

There are many reasons why RL’s national profile has de lines since the 90’s. The salary cap is NOT one of them. The bankrupting exercise RL’s clubs merrily engaged in in the 80’s and 90’s very much is. That’s why we have out of date clubs playing in out of date, embarrassing facilities in front of sometimes embarrassing crowds.
There are other reasons such as the concentration of media in the south and the focus away from regional to national stories/interests. Along with a media refocus away from working class to middle/upper class audiences. No-one is bothered about watching 2 small northern towns play each other anymore. They want clubs and places they can relate to. We don’t provide that. The majority of people in the country wouldn’t be able to find on a map where half the SL clubs are.

But let’s not kid ourselves that if only we could spend more money on overseas players that would solve the issue. Not at all. If we have money spare to spend on overseas players that we’re not currently using then it’s a disgrace that that isn’t being spent on domestic player development.

The reason why only 5 SL clubs own their own stadium (and only 3 of those are of a good standard) is because of the ridiculous overspending in the 80’s and 90’s. We desperately need to spend money on infrastructure, marketing and development. Not on players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: Him "How could we possibly increase the cap to match that of the NRL when the TV deal, attendances and income are way below that of the NRL.
If we increased the cap to the same as the NRL it would be more than half the SL clubs annual income and leave the likes of Wigan, Saints & Warrington with only a couple of million to pay for everything else. It’s entirely impractical.

There are many reasons why RL’s national profile has de lines since the 90’s. The salary cap is NOT one of them. The bankrupting exercise RL’s clubs merrily engaged in in the 80’s and 90’s very much is. That’s why we have out of date clubs playing in out of date, embarrassing facilities in front of sometimes embarrassing crowds.
There are other reasons such as the concentration of media in the south and the focus away from regional to national stories/interests. Along with a media refocus away from working class to middle/upper class audiences. No-one is bothered about watching 2 small northern towns play each other anymore. They want clubs and places they can relate to. We don’t provide that. The majority of people in the country wouldn’t be able to find on a map where half the SL clubs are.

But let’s not kid ourselves that if only we could spend more money on overseas players that would solve the issue. Not at all. If we have money spare to spend on overseas players that we’re not currently using then it’s a disgrace that that isn’t being spent on domestic player development.

The reason why only 5 SL clubs own their own stadium (and only 3 of those are of a good standard) is because of the ridiculous overspending in the 80’s and 90’s. We desperately need to spend money on infrastructure, marketing and development. Not on players.'"

How old are most rugby league clubs? 100 years old most of them aren’t they? How long is a ground supposed to last once built? Can’t those clubs do what each and every one of us does and get a loan to pay for the building of the stadium? Pay it off over 40 years?

It’s an investment for the club, they can have all sorts on at the ground like concerts and so on.

So your attitude is to carry on the way we are going which is on a downward spiral into a part time feeder sport.

A previous poster had a good idea of not letting 3rd party sponsorship count on the cap, if it’s coming from a third party what harm is it going to do? Raising the cap is not the b all and end all to the problems we face but nothing can get better until it’s either raised or abolished.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For me it's the sports demographic that has hampered Rugby League more than anything else. I can see why people want to blame the salary cap, but getting rid of it with the sole intention of hoping clubs spend big money to get top name players is a recipe for disaster since clubs can barely break even as it is.

Over the last few decades more than any other time, sports have become global. The Premier League ended up with a huge bidding war because it was massively marketable in this country, then took off on a global scale because it featured marketable city based teams such as Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham etc that could gain support around the world. Rugby League doesn't have that. We also suffered during the financial crisis. Working class towns were hit the hardest, and that's where most rugby league support comes from. The value of the pound went down, the value of the Aussie dollar went up and suddenly there were less reasons to come over to Super League, while Super League players found it much more affordable to move to the NRL. Had we scrapped the cap at that time and had clubs start chucking money around it would have been a disaster.

Scrap the cap and you might get some bigger names playing over here, but to be honest most rugby league players from the NRL aren't big names to the general public. Then you still have the problem of the difference in lifestyle between Super League and its major competitor. There's no real competition between living in the North West of England and living in Australia.

There are plenty of towns in the UK which are in decline, so is it any surprise that sports teams in those towns might be in decline? Or that a sport still largely based in those towns has suffered a decline? All the focus is on cities. There's greater incentive for sponsors to get involved and it's sponsorship that dictates the sporting landscape these days.

I just don't see how clubs with a working class fan base are going to generate the interest among sponsors to grow. As a result any improvement in the quality of the competition will largely go unnoticed. Even when we had a better standard of players in Super League I wouldn't say the game was thriving financially. The NRL can thrive because it's one of the main sports in Australia. It's played in the big cities but mostly ed around Sydney. There's plenty of incentive to get involved.

This is why Toronto is such a big opportunity. It's why New York and Ottawa provide opportunities too. The only problem with those sides is that while it might bring more marketing potential to Super League, it might not do enough to help the issues faced by the heartland teams. Expansion is important for rugby league if it's going to start making a name for itself against stiff global competition. It hasn't helped that previous attempts have targeted areas with the exact same demographic and the same issues - such a Crusaders in Wrexham. The sport won't gain much by expanding into working class towns.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

What a load of crap, I’ve worked around Anfield and they were giving away houses it’s such a dump, most Liverpool fans aren’t from Liverpool, Everton fans are.

Same with Man City, where their stadium is is a dump too, with fans coming from all over the place and coming out of the woodwork now they’ve had a bit of success.

My point is fans come from all over when the team is successful.

All that ‘oh we’re a poor working class sport and should know our place among the pigeon fanciers and shove hapenny fans’ are pathetic. I’ve met people from all over the country who like rugby league, from all over the place who like Wigan and many due to our success in the 90s.

If Barry Hearn had your attitude with regards Darts they’d be playing MVG v Phil Taylor in the Dog and Duck on a Tuesday night before the Pub Quiz.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "What a load of crap, I’ve worked around Anfield and they were giving away houses it’s such a dump, most Liverpool fans aren’t from Liverpool, Everton fans are.

Same with Man City, where their stadium is is a dump too, with fans coming from all over the place and coming out of the woodwork now they’ve had a bit of success.

My point is fans come from all over when the team is successful.

All that ‘oh we’re a poor working class sport and should know our place among the pigeon fanciers and shove hapenny fans’ are pathetic. I’ve met people from all over the country who like rugby league, from all over the place who like Wigan and many due to our success in the 90s.

If Barry Hearn had your attitude with regards Darts they’d be playing MVG v Phil Taylor in the Dog and Duck on a Tuesday night before the Pub Quiz.'"

You've just sort of proved the point I was making. Lots of Liverpool fans don't come from Liverpool, lots of Man Utd fans don't come from Manchester. Yet these are the big clubs of football. Why didn't Blackburn become a big club when they won the Premier League? Because towns aren't as marketable as cities. Manchester is easier to market than Blackburn. Even teams without the city in their name, named after areas of a city like Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton are more marketable than teams like Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. Why did Roman Abramovich invest in Chelsea rather than Blackburn? Why did Sheikh Mansour invest in Man City when Bolton, Reading, Portsmouth and Blackburn all finished higher the season before? Surely he could have turned those teams into globally recognised sporting giants? Except he didn't, because he went for a more marketable team.

I agree that fans will come from all over when a team is successful, but we'll struggle to build rugby league up around one team, or two teams. We'd end up like Scottish football and have a couple of giants in an awful league.

I'm certainly not saying we should know our place and that we're only a working class sport and that's all we should be considered as, but if most of the teams in Super League are based in working class areas we're only likely to attract sponsors interested in advertising to working class people, and we'll never really get away from that perception That's why Cas play at the Mend-a-Hose Jungle and not the Emirates Jungle.

Even football teams in working class areas are struggling financially when trying to compete, even in lower divisions where the costs aren't as high.

Yes, Barry Hearn has done wonders with darts, turned it into something of a global phenomenon, but that's an individual sport. The likes of darts, snooker, golf etc don't have the same operating costs as team sports. They aren't really comparable. They may fight for airtime on sports channels but essentially they don't compete in the same way against the likes of football and rugby union.

I'm sure we could do better with what we have, but I'm not sure what we currently have could ever really thrive in comparison to rival team sports without altering perceptions of it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Cherry.Pie "You've just sort of proved the point I was making. Lots of Liverpool fans don't come from Liverpool, lots of Man Utd fans don't come from Manchester. Yet these are the big clubs of football. Why didn't Blackburn become a big club when they won the Premier League? Because towns aren't as marketable as cities. Manchester is easier to market than Blackburn. Even teams without the city in their name, named after areas of a city like Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton are more marketable than teams like Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. Why did Roman Abramovich invest in Chelsea rather than Blackburn? Why did Sheikh Mansour invest in Man City when Bolton, Reading, Portsmouth and Blackburn all finished higher the season before? Surely he could have turned those teams into globally recognised sporting giants? Except he didn't, because he went for a more marketable team.

I agree that fans will come from all over when a team is successful, but we'll struggle to build rugby league up around one team, or two teams. We'd end up like Scottish football and have a couple of giants in an awful league.

I'm certainly not saying we should know our place and that we're only a working class sport and that's all we should be considered as, but if most of the teams in Super League are based in working class areas we're only likely to attract sponsors interested in advertising to working class people, and we'll never really get away from that perception That's why Cas play at the Mend-a-Hose Jungle and not the Emirates Jungle.

Even football teams in working class areas are struggling financially when trying to compete, even in lower divisions where the costs aren't as high.

Yes, Barry Hearn has done wonders with darts, turned it into something of a global phenomenon, but that's an individual sport. The likes of darts, snooker, golf etc don't have the same operating costs as team sports. They aren't really comparable. They may fight for airtime on sports channels but essentially they don't compete in the same way against the likes of football and rugby union.

I'm sure we could do better with what we have, but I'm not sure what we currently have could ever really thrive in comparison to rival team sports without altering perceptions of it.'"

Would those premier league teams like Man Cty, Chelsea and Liverpool be where they are if they had a salary cap below the Spanish and Italian leagues?

No, because Shiekh Mansour, Abramovic and John Henry/Fenway would have gone elsewhere.

Now we will never reach those heights, but at the very least we can be better. We should as a sport be aiming to be better than club level Union, county cricket and Championship football but in the last 10 years we have fallen behind all three which are achievable.

The salary cap is a nice little comfort blanket to hide behind for the clubs with no vision or ideas or ambition.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "Would those premier league teams like Man Cty, Chelsea and Liverpool be where they are if they had a salary cap below the Spanish and Italian leagues?

No, because Shiekh Mansour, Abramovic and John Henry/Fenway would have gone elsewhere.

Now we will never reach those heights, but at the very least we can be better. We should as a sport be aiming to be better than club level Union, county cricket and Championship football but in the last 10 years we have fallen behind all three which are achievable.

The salary cap is a nice little comfort blanket to hide behind for the clubs with no vision or ideas or ambition.'"

That's a fair point. A lot of sports that implement salary caps are those who have no significant rivals for their talent, such as the major sports like American Football, Basketball and Ice Hockey in the US. However, with only two professional leagues in our sport there's a limit to how much they can actually affect the strength of our game. The depth of talent in Australia doesn't come from pinching players from the UK. The lack of talent over here doesn't come from not being able to import players from overseas, it comes from poor structure from grassroots up to Super League and a lack of exposure for the game.

Expecting the game to improve simply by removing the salary cap is ignoring all the other issues that hold the game back. Long term it would be great to abolish the salary cap, or at least massively increase it, but getting rid of it doesn't automatically make it viable for clubs to spend huge amounts of money. The money to buy better players has to come from somewhere. The best place for that money to come from is a guaranteed source of income (at least for a set period of time) such as money from TV deals. If you start relying on rich owners chucking big money in you end up with a situation where clubs are spending pretty much all of their income, or possibly more, on player wages, a situation that isn't sustainable and can lead to pretty dire consequences, especially when wages become inflated. That's the situation that is currently blighting the Championship and lower league in football.

I can't think of many situations where a league or sport has grown massively simply because rich club owners have started spending a lot. Mostly it seems to happen through improved revenue from TV deals, and in cases where there are competing leagues in different countries, a favourable change in the exchange rate.

If salary caps are such obviously bad things for sports, successful leagues wouldn't be implementing them. The French rugby union achieved huge growth during the 2000's and into this decade, but as soon as clubs started spending big they introduced a salary cap. It may be a higher cap limit than that of other leagues, but it's proportional to the money coming into the game. There's been talk of salary caps in football for years but it's at the point where it's almost unworkable, even if FFP regulations are a form of soft cap.

I'm all for Super League increasing the salary cap or ditching the salary cap, but not if it's done solely as the big plan to fix the game. It's nowhere near the biggest issue facing the game right now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1029
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

Maurice Lindsay possibly had the answer when SL started with SKY money but the clubs poo pooed it as the mergers were not in the interests of the clubs .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Cherry.Pie "That's a fair point. A lot of sports that implement salary caps are those who have no significant rivals for their talent, such as the major sports like American Football, Basketball and Ice Hockey in the US. However, with only two professional leagues in our sport there's a limit to how much they can actually affect the strength of our game. The depth of talent in Australia doesn't come from pinching players from the UK. The lack of talent over here doesn't come from not being able to import players from overseas, it comes from poor structure from grassroots up to Super League and a lack of exposure for the game.

Expecting the game to improve simply by removing the salary cap is ignoring all the other issues that hold the game back. Long term it would be great to abolish the salary cap, or at least massively increase it, but getting rid of it doesn't automatically make it viable for clubs to spend huge amounts of money. The money to buy better players has to come from somewhere. The best place for that money to come from is a guaranteed source of income (at least for a set period of time) such as money from TV deals. If you start relying on rich owners chucking big money in you end up with a situation where clubs are spending pretty much all of their income, or possibly more, on player wages, a situation that isn't sustainable and can lead to pretty dire consequences, especially when wages become inflated. That's the situation that is currently blighting the Championship and lower league in football.

I can't think of many situations where a league or sport has grown massively simply because rich club owners have started spending a lot. Mostly it seems to happen through improved revenue from TV deals, and in cases where there are competing leagues in different countries, a favourable change in the exchange rate.

If salary caps are such obviously bad things for sports, successful leagues wouldn't be implementing them. The French rugby union achieved huge growth during the 2000's and into this decade, but as soon as clubs started spending big they introduced a salary cap. It may be a higher cap limit than that of other leagues, but it's proportional to the money coming into the game. There's been talk of salary caps in football for years but it's at the point where it's almost unworkable, even if FFP regulations are a form of soft cap.

I'm all for Super League increasing the salary cap or ditching the salary cap, but not if it's done solely as the big plan to fix the game. It's nowhere near the biggest issue facing the game right now.'"

If we upped the cap or abolished it, we wouldn’t get 25,0000 every game, it is t the b all and end all but it is the biggest one thing that could improve our game.

If teams needs to raise an extra £500,000 a year to pay for players wages it will have to pull its finger out to raise that money and it’s that fear that would drive them.

With the salary cap at exactly the same as the Sky money, the team could spend up to the cap and pay the players wages without even dipping into their own funds. Whatever they make as a club pays for everything else.

Put it one way, you won’t get an extra 3000 fans on the gate by signing a £80,000 a year player but you will if you sign a £500,000 a year player. It pays for itself.

The major issue I’ve got with the salary cap is it hasn’t even gone up with inflation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "If we upped the cap or abolished it, we wouldn’t get 25,0000 every game, it is t the b all and end all but it is the biggest one thing that could improve our game.

If teams needs to raise an extra £500,000 a year to pay for players wages it will have to pull its finger out to raise that money and it’s that fear that would drive them.

With the salary cap at exactly the same as the Sky money, the team could spend up to the cap and pay the players wages without even dipping into their own funds. Whatever they make as a club pays for everything else.

Put it one way, you won’t get an extra 3000 fans on the gate by signing a £80,000 a year player but you will if you sign a £500,000 a year player. It pays for itself.

The major issue I’ve got with the salary cap is it hasn’t even gone up with inflation.'"

I do think there should be greater incentives for teams to increase the revenue they make. The last point you made is important because it makes it perfectly clear that the game has suffered something of a decline. The reasoning given for the cap not increasing with inflation is that it's not affordable. That's a pretty big failure right there.

I don't agree about signing a £500,000 a year player adding 3,000 extra fans (although I know it's a generalisation). I don't think the top players have that much pulling power. I don't think one or two top players can really make enough of a difference, which is why I think the marquee player rule looked great in theory, but hasn't really worked as intended.

As an example, if a Super League club signed Michael Morgan, Mitchell Pearce, Anthony Milford, do you think it would significantly improve attendances? Aussie NRL stars aren't particularly well known among the general public, so increased interest would only really be coming from current fans who have stopped attending. It might bring a slight improvement, but not enough to have a significant impact. And if clubs are paying £500,000-£750,000 for players like that I'd be very doubtful that it would be worth the expense. I don't think rugby league gets the exposure to make the most of the sports biggest names, while the NRL may be one of the best leagues in world sport, but it's still not a big deal in this country to the extend of foreign football leagues or the NFL.

For me the biggest issue with the cap is that it limits what players can earn through image rights. It pretty much disincentivises players looking to gain sponsorship and make themselves into a household name. The salary cap is making it harder for the sport to create stars over here.

I don't agree with all of what Robert Elstone is doing but I do think that making changes to speed the game up were the right way to go about things. I don't think that in itself will revolutionise anything, but it shows action rather than inaction. It suggests we're trying to build Super League into more of a spectacle and that's going to be important ahead of the new TV rights deal. That new deal could be the single most important moment in the history of our professional game. Elstone and Super League clubs have basically taken charge of a competition in decline and have a short period of time in which to turn it around enough to encourage Sky and other broadcasters to pay more for it.

I think a plan to increase the salary cap could work as an incentive to broadcasters to pay a bit more. At present it's no secret that clubs don't have the spending power, so any rise in cap probably won't make any real difference. We need a better TV deal to increase the revenue of clubs and provide an image of a game that's growing rather than one that's in decline. We also need to allow the broadcaster to make the most of our top players.

Throw in some improved engagement with social media, and improving the matchday experience (Wire seem to be leading the way on that front) and I think we can improve what we have enough to boost attendances and viewing figures, get a better TV deal and use that as a springboard for growing the game. Then with the experiments in Toronto, New York and Ottawa we might be able to create greater global interest in the game and shake off the flat capper image of the sport. That's something we should already be doing though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Cherry.Pie "I do think there should be greater incentives for teams to increase the revenue they make. The last point you made is important because it makes it perfectly clear that the game has suffered something of a decline. The reasoning given for the cap not increasing with inflation is that it's not affordable. That's a pretty big failure right there.

I don't agree about signing a £500,000 a year player adding 3,000 extra fans (although I know it's a generalisation). I don't think the top players have that much pulling power. I don't think one or two top players can really make enough of a difference, which is why I think the marquee player rule looked great in theory, but hasn't really worked as intended.

As an example, if a Super League club signed Michael Morgan, Mitchell Pearce, Anthony Milford, do you think it would significantly improve attendances? Aussie NRL stars aren't particularly well known among the general public, so increased interest would only really be coming from current fans who have stopped attending. It might bring a slight improvement, but not enough to have a significant impact. And if clubs are paying £500,000-£750,000 for players like that I'd be very doubtful that it would be worth the expense. I don't think rugby league gets the exposure to make the most of the sports biggest names, while the NRL may be one of the best leagues in world sport, but it's still not a big deal in this country to the extend of foreign football leagues or the NFL.

For me the biggest issue with the cap is that it limits what players can earn through image rights. It pretty much disincentivises players looking to gain sponsorship and make themselves into a household name. The salary cap is making it harder for the sport to create stars over here.

I don't agree with all of what Robert Elstone is doing but I do think that making changes to speed the game up were the right way to go about things. I don't think that in itself will revolutionise anything, but it shows action rather than inaction. It suggests we're trying to build Super League into more of a spectacle and that's going to be important ahead of the new TV rights deal. That new deal could be the single most important moment in the history of our professional game. Elstone and Super League clubs have basically taken charge of a competition in decline and have a short period of time in which to turn it around enough to encourage Sky and other broadcasters to pay more for it.

I think a plan to increase the salary cap could work as an incentive to broadcasters to pay a bit more. At present it's no secret that clubs don't have the spending power, so any rise in cap probably won't make any real difference. We need a better TV deal to increase the revenue of clubs and provide an image of a game that's growing rather than one that's in decline. We also need to allow the broadcaster to make the most of our top players.

Throw in some improved engagement with social media, and improving the matchday experience (Wire seem to be leading the way on that front) and I think we can improve what we have enough to boost attendances and viewing figures, get a better TV deal and use that as a springboard for growing the game. Then with the experiments in Toronto, New York and Ottawa we might be able to create greater global interest in the game and shake off the flat capper image of the sport. That's something we should already be doing though.'"

The marquee rule hasn’t really worked because all it’s done is help keep players in Superleague to an extent, rather than maybe attract them. Allowing 3rd party sponsorship and image rights doesn’t make clubs go bust but will allow players to make more money.

There are many ways to get bums on seats but clubs are content in just plodding on whilst the game dies a slow death.

When Superleague was first sounded Maurice Lyndsey said there’s only room for 10 clubs, there’s isn’t the quality or money to spread it out further hence the mergers. I don’t agree with people who want Salford renames as Manchester and the likes as all that will do is kill of the support that’s there.

People look to Toronto as a shining example, but all that is is a load of free tickets and booze for the Canadians, yes there will be genuine fans as a result but mainly it’s people who like a drink and a freebie.

There’s massive issues and we have been on a downward spiral since before Superleague, us and football have gone on to polar opposites of each other. Every other sport seems to have gotten their act together, whether it be boxing and darts with the hearns, or football, union and cricket or even horse racing, how many people go to horse racing now when they have an artist on after it? We need to pull our fingers out big time.

Sky really need to pull their fingers out, if they increase the money they give they get a better standard of game and more fans. If they try and get the TV rights for as little as possible then they’d be doing themselves in the long term, it all depends on this next deal for me. If the deal isn’t good enough to raise the cap then the game is dead.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4289No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "The marquee rule hasn’t really worked because all it’s done is help keep players in Superleague to an extent, rather than maybe attract them. Allowing 3rd party sponsorship and image rights doesn’t make clubs go bust but will allow players to make more money.

There are many ways to get bums on seats but clubs are content in just plodding on whilst the game dies a slow death.

When Superleague was first sounded Maurice Lyndsey said there’s only room for 10 clubs, there’s isn’t the quality or money to spread it out further hence the mergers. I don’t agree with people who want Salford renames as Manchester and the likes as all that will do is kill of the support that’s there.

People look to Toronto as a shining example, but all that is is a load of free tickets and booze for the Canadians, yes there will be genuine fans as a result but mainly it’s people who like a drink and a freebie.

There’s massive issues and we have been on a downward spiral since before Superleague, us and football have gone on to polar opposites of each other. Every other sport seems to have gotten their act together, whether it be boxing and darts with the hearns, or football, union and cricket or even horse racing, how many people go to horse racing now when they have an artist on after it? We need to pull our fingers out big time.

Sky really need to pull their fingers out, if they increase the money they give they get a better standard of game and more fans. If they try and get the TV rights for as little as possible then they’d be doing themselves in the long term, it all depends on this next deal for me. If the deal isn’t good enough to raise the cap then the game is dead.'"

The BIG problem here might be that Sky are the only bidder. It's a massive concern is the next TV rights deal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4289No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jaws1 "Maurice Lindsay possibly had the answer when SL started with SKY money but the clubs poo pooed it as the mergers were not in the interests of the clubs .'"

Back in 1996, would Wigan and St Helens been happy with a merger of their two clubs. Yes, or no?

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.6630859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
20m
Best Semi
Fourpointtry
23m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
24m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
27m
Film game
Boss Hog
42m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
Recent
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Barstool Pre
Recent
Season 2024
tomtom84
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Whitehaven Away
the fax in a
35s
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
41s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
47s
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
1m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
1m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
2m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Fourpointtry
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,008 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22