FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > RFL to discuss reintroduction of promotion and relegation
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: Deano G "It's all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The game is heading for a semi-pro future anyway. People need to realise that and either start preparing for it and get used to the idea of a competition similar in standard and profile to the French domestic league or address the really big issue facing the game which is the appalling financial management at club level and the totally ineffective regulation of the game by the RFL.

Promotion and relegation is a sideshow. In fact, I suspect it has been raised as an issue by the authorities to distract people from talking more about the Bulls failure and the serious financial problems at Salford. You've been had, I'm afraid.'"

That's a ridiculous, defeatist attitude IMO. 14 clubs in the current format isn't sustainable, that's obvious. But there are well run clubs with owners who are good businessmen who, under the correct format can provide a competitive, professional division. Some bad decisions have been made by both the RFL and the clubs. We need the RFL to have a team to closely scrutinise all aspects of the game and come up with a better league/season format ASAP. Sponsors and TV deals must be improved also.

We have teams with 15/16 k average gates, get 75k+ at Wembley for CC Finals and a full house at Old Trafford for the GF, plus high viewing figures on SKY every week. The game in this country is at a very important crossroads and some big, potentially difficult decisions need to be made. The sport will survive though, I have every confidence in that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "That's a ridiculous, defeatist attitude IMO. 14 clubs in the current format isn't sustainable, that's obvious. But there are well run clubs with owners who are good businessmen who, under the correct format can provide a competitive, professional division. Some bad decisions have been made by both the RFL and the clubs. We need the RFL to have a team to closely scrutinise all aspects of the game and come up with a better league/season format ASAP. Sponsors and TV deals must be improved also.

We have teams with 15/16 k average gates, get 75k+ at Wembley for CC Finals and a full house at Old Trafford for the GF, plus high viewing figures on SKY every week. The game in this country is at a very important crossroads and some big, potentially difficult decisions need to be made. The sport will survive though, I have every confidence in that.'"

Defeatist? Possibly, but I think that I'm being realistic, rather than ridiculous.

Here is a fact that cannot be denied, which tells us a great deal about the health of RL: the salary cap has not been raised since it was brought in.

In real terms the value of the salary cap has been eroded by over a third. If this continues for another 10 or 20 years the irrestible force of inflation will ensure that the game becomes semi-professional. Many players will be able to earn more in other careers (not merely other sports) and will not play top level RL. As wages drop further players who want to play RL will have to get a job to get by.

Only radical change can avoid this future for the sport. I'd like to say I hope that will happen but I doubt the RFL and the clubs have the will or the capability to turn this around.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

In essence what we need is a league in between what SL and NL currently are, the gulf is currently too big.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: CyberPieMan "that amount of contraction would ultimately kill off the game outside the M62 - who would you drop? London yes, the French (they'd throw their dummies about a lot, but..) probably. The other two? Regardless of Bradford's current woes (and I do believe that if the RFL don't throw them out at the end of the year then the licensing system's reputation has to be called into doubt), keeping them out on any other grounds would kill the game. Who else? One of the Hulls? Simply because there's not room for 2 clubs in a city that size (I don't subscribe to any of this BTW, before I get a load of abuse). Or Widnes, last in, first out?

P&R would be a retrograde step and ruin everything that's been created over the last 6 or 7 years. Stability and forward planning not influenced by the fear of the drop. Or perhaps we introduce a "transfer window" & ban clubs buying in anyone (including loans) after mid season.

I think they're looking at the wrong question, for me it's not whether to reinstate P&R or expand, split or contract the league, it's why the license criteria appear to have been bent and flouted to accommodate someone's "vision" of the future. Some of what's gone on smacks of Blatter's expansionist nonsense, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are brown envelopes involved somewhere in the last few years.'"

Where did I say I would drop the French? Catalans would be one of the first 5 teams on my list

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20441
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1wlcmlhe][color=#800000:1wlcmlhe]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2024 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2024 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1wlcmlhe][/b:1wlcmlhe]:

Quote: Horatio Yed "In essence what we need is a league in between what SL and NL currently are, the gulf is currently too big.'"

We kind of already have it.

Wigan
Warrington
Saints
Leeds
Catalans
Hull FC
Huddersfield
Hull KR
Widnes
London (need to shape up quickly though).

Then:

Bradford
Salford
Wakefield
Cas
+
Leigh
Halifax
Fev
Sheffield
Barrow
Workington

Somehow from the above, I'd have two leagues of ten and I'd bring back the Lancashire / Yorkshire Cup's early on in the season (in a league format) to play on free weekends and midweek in the later stages, which would be seeded so to allow the bigger SL clubs to get around the Championship & Championship1 grounds giving them much needed revenue.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

The salary cap hasn't been increased because there's been little/no need for it, outside at best 6/7 teams. When David Gallop visited a few years ago he reported that a number of clubs were only spending 30-40% of the cap. That's the problem - massive inequality between top and bottom (I think in the NRL the lowest spend was something more like 70-80%). It also goes a long way to explaining league positions every year, and why the RFL simply cannot treat Bradford in the same way as Wakey. The only solution is to try to increase revenues across the board - e.g. from internationals.

BTW anybody suggesting reducing the number of teams would have to talk to Sky first. They may want London to be included at all costs, and if their opening position wasn't that any reduction in the number of teams would see a proportionate reduction in revenue to the game (i.e. drop one club, lose 1/14th of your revenue), then I'd be stunned. That's where I'd start from.

Just on that, I do think that Sky could get more actively involved. Whilst they seem to hold all the cards (where else would we get that kind of money from?), I'd argue RL in the UK is a good programme filler, particularly when football is off season. On London, for example, I'd seriously pose the question that if Sky want them to stay, they should underwrite them (or part own them), as is the case with the Storm here in Aus.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

The salary cap hasn't been increased because the financial position of the clubs has worsened significantly since the cap was brought in. In financial terms the last 15 years have been really bad for RL. The lack of financial controls on clubs (other than the counterproductive SC), the abject failure of the licensing process and the inability to achieve good TV deals and sponsorship for a sport which delivers Sky Sports its second biggest audience are astonishing. Or rather they would be astonishing if this were any sport other than RL.

We have always had amateurs running a professional game and nothing has changed in recent years, if anything the situation is worse.

P&R is a sideshow. And the authorities would much rather you talked about it than discuss the real issues.

RankPostsTeam
International Star862No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MattyB "We kind of already have it.

Wigan
Warrington
Saints
Leeds
Catalans
Hull FC
Huddersfield
Hull KR
Widnes

Then

You would keep the worst performing teams in SL and move the more successful out? That makes perfect sense...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: MattyB "We kind of already have it.

Wigan
Warrington
Saints
Leeds
Catalans
Hull FC
Huddersfield
Hull KR
Widnes

Then

What do Catalan, London, Workington & Barrow do whilst everyone else is playing in the Lancs/Yorks cup?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: Pemps "What do Catalan, London, Workington & Barrow do whilst everyone else is playing in the Lancs/Yorks cup?'"

Catalans and London in the Lancs and Workington and Barrow in the Yorks?

It'd be a bit like the Johnstones Paint Southern section match a few years ago between Gillingham and Notts Forest.

RankPostsTeam
International Star993
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63644_1343901350.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3s5hr9kj]Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.[/color:3s5hr9kj]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63644.jpg

Quote: TrentBarrett "Just because there's less teams doesn't mean you have to play less games, unorthodox i know but it was done in the past and could be scheduled to make things fairer.'"

If we have less clubs in SL what happens to expansion? Who’s chucked out? and as I've said before, the loss of matches, how is that made up? If we let Sky have a say it would mean more Derbies, and if you don’t have extra games and drop two clubs from the league, that’s four less matches. Not a happy prospect for me. If you fill the void with meaningless internationals and friendlies you just run the risk of injuries to more top players from the best sides, and as we know from this season the fans will hate that.

eusa_think.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: Conroy "Where did I say I would drop the French? Catalans would be one of the first 5 teams on my list'"

You didn't & I wasn't implying you did. But by contracting to 10 teams you'd have to concentrate on the so-called heartlands. Which means dropping everyone (& preventing anyone new joining from) outside the M62, plus two more.

Also, I'm still to be persuaded that a SL(1) and SL(2) structure would work as there aren't enough full-time teams. You'd have to recruit at least 8 more (assuming two leagues of 12) and there would have to be some cross-league games to make the season worthwhile: set the bottom 6 of SL(1) against the top 6 of SL(2) with the top of SL(1) aiming for Trafford Rangers' ground & the bottom of SL(2) scrapping to stay up (and buying in NRL pensioners).

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We in RL are at a low point in the numbers that would be considered SL calibre players.
For 100 years until 1995/6 we had Union players coming into League by the dozen each year. That source dried up with pro Union.
We then brought over NRL players with a great exchange rate against the AUD$. They had 14 teams and competiton for places in the NRL was intense. Lucrative deals could be had here with all the tax breaks etc.
Now the £ has be devalued, tax breaks gone and the NRL has a 16 team league plus a massive tv deal that we can't compete with. That source has largely dried up. It's only 4 or 5 years ago that overseas players comprised almost 50% of the playing roster in SL.

SL clubs will to be challenged whether they can recruit, train and maintain a playing squad of SL calibre players over the next few years. As soon as the easy options are no longer available then they want to reduce the numbers playing in SL.
I'd stick with 16 and ask each club to provide details of their local plans to enlarge the number of schools playing RL in their area. What they are doing to train up coaches in the schools and how they will run the structure from schools to first team. We should from 8 club trained players in the 25 man squad to 8 players in the first 17 as soon as possible.
If or when they go to 10 or 12 clubs someone will be bottom, struggling for crowds, have difficulty with recruitment and have financial problems that come with being bottom of the League.
Stop complaining about a lack of talent and produce it!

hen

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1250
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29146.gif
Keep goin wit yed down:29146.gif

Quote: Father Ted "We in RL are at a low point in the numbers that would be considered SL calibre players.
For 100 years until 1995/6 we had Union players coming into League by the dozen each year. That source dried up with pro Union.
We then brought over NRL players with a great exchange rate against the AUD$. They had 14 teams and competiton for places in the NRL was intense. Lucrative deals could be had here with all the tax breaks etc.
Now the £ has be devalued, tax breaks gone and the NRL has a 16 team league plus a massive tv deal that we can't compete with. That source has largely dried up. It's only 4 or 5 years ago that overseas players comprised almost 50% of the playing roster in SL.

SL clubs will to be challenged whether they can recruit, train and maintain a playing squad of SL calibre players over the next few years. As soon as the easy options are no longer available then they want to reduce the numbers playing in SL.
I'd stick with 16 and ask each club to provide details of their local plans to enlarge the number of schools playing RL in their area. What they are doing to train up coaches in the schools and how they will run the structure from schools to first team. We should from 8 club trained players in the 25 man squad to 8 players in the first 17 as soon as possible.
If or when they go to 10 or 12 clubs someone will be bottom, struggling for crowds, have difficulty with recruitment and have financial problems that come with being bottom of the League.
Stop complaining about a lack of talent and produce it!

hen'"

I agree.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5643
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17012_1369957324.jpg
[img:2s4u5nxg]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/The_flying_biscuit/sig2.jpg[/img:2s4u5nxg] 2009..........2010...........2011............2012..........2016..........2017:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17012.jpg

Sod Promotion and Relegation it doesnt help anyone, if we want something from the past that was better than what we have got now pick one from the list below........

give everyone plastic pitches to allow the sport to go back to a winter sport. (dont play in sub zero temperatures though)
Allow signings of Top quality Aussies on short term deals when its their off season.
Reinstate the GB team and bring back Ashes Tours.
welcome back real boxing day and new years day fixtures.
play the Challenge cup final at the end of the season where it should be.

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
15m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
38m