FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Should the play-offs decide the Champions?
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "Reverse Theoretically and Practically and this would make mathematical sense.

Practically the team finished in 8th has a chance of winning
In Theory they do not.

But it has been won from 3rd, so 3rd is similar to 4th nowa days. Ergo 4th could win and they too have lost a hell uv a lot of games.'"

It was not intended to be a mathematical argument, smart . The 8th team only has a theoretical chance of winning because the probability of it happening is extremely low. When a team has won it from 8th you can come back on here and tell me it is possible in practice.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32395_1324520597.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32395.png

Being a football fan first and foremost, I'm of the belief that the league should always be the number one priority. I watch American sports and the play-offs is very 'them', in the NBA and NHL, they have 82-game regular seasons, only to crown the champions on the basis of what happens in the play-offs.

We do the same with RL, but how can winning a few games in a row, or winning a few X match series (America it's best-of-seven) mean more than winning something over the course of the season?

For me, the Challenge Cup should be credited more than the play-offs, as you don't get second chances and it is a knockout competition played over the course of the season, so you rely more on consistency over momentum.

I think we as fans should also credit the league winners more. You get silly idiots saying things like 'We're the champions, the league trophy is a minor trophy'. Embarrassing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1708No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36409_1319997811.jpg
A purple patch inspired on his home ground by man of the match WIGAN CAPTAIN Sean O’Loughlin produced three tries in an eight-minute spell just before half-time, and the GB Lions added two more after the break to maintain Smith’s 100 per cent record as Great Britain coach. Sat 27th April 2002 St Helens 12 Wigan 21 Edinburgh - Sat 4th May 2002 Celtic 2 Rangers 3 Glasgow (Carlsberg dont do weeks, but if they did.....) //www.internationalrugbyleague.net/:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36409.jpg

Quote: Roddy B "Being a football fan first and foremost, I'm of the belief that the league should always be the number one priority. I watch American sports and the play-offs is very 'them', in the NBA and NHL, they have 82-game regular seasons, only to crown the champions on the basis of what happens in the play-offs.

We do the same with RL, but how can winning a few games in a row, or winning a few X match series (America it's best-of-seven) mean more than winning something over the course of the season?

For me, the Challenge Cup should be credited more than the play-offs, as you don't get second chances and it is a knockout competition played over the course of the season, so you rely more on consistency over momentum.

I think we as fans should also credit the league winners more. You get silly idiots saying things like 'We're the champions, the league trophy is a minor trophy'. Embarrassing.'"

Agree with this

The playoff system is silly but i do try to embrace it, but being brought up a football man its hard to get used to the fact that the league winners get basically no credit... we have playoff games whereas you can lose and be okay because you have another chance and all this 'choosing' who you play... for such an entertaining sport it is indeed embarrassing, hence we get the 'Rugby League is a silly minority sport' drivvel from non rugby league fans. I concede that times are changing and we have to move with the times and it isnt daft to imagine one day football leagues like the English Premier League will adopt a similar kind of system in 20/30 years time or even sooner, though it would purely be a financial move. Sport is Business remember the days of it being a game is long gone.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

This year seems to be different though. The sky numpties are talking as though Wire are already champions whereas when Wigan won it last year they were playing it down. Don't get me wrong I believe that finishing top of the league is a great achievement. My point is just how the sky anti-Wigan numpties have changed their tune now that Wigan haven't finished top. It was farcical how they had to keep reminding themselves that Wire still have two games to go to become true Champions. Just to be clear I am not knocking Warrington's success so far and I actually think they will win the GF if they keep playing like they are doing at present.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner857No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6526_1390737029.gif
Dave 65 wrote: Its written by someone who has had 10 pints and seen his team win back to back to back titles and someone who earns 40k a year. Keep eating the pies , U loser Donna wrote: 40k a year?? Only job that would pay someone so thick that amount of money is sucking C**k:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6526.gif

For me, whoever finishes top at the end of the regular season are the champions (unless of course we get to OT & win icon_wink.gif ) - the playoffs should be a separate competition, like it used to be in the old days.....I'm not sure I like the current playoff format, too many teams and too many meaningless matches - like last nights and ours v saints. Finish below 6th and you shouldn't be in...mini league of the top 4 top 2 het home advantage, top two after 3 matches to OT anyone?

RankPostsTeam
International Star576No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="headhunter":lnxdgxk2]Union people are idiots. They almost universally accept that league is a better, faster game played by better athletes, yet for some reason they continue to disregard and belittle it. That game is tedious as hell from start to finish. If he'd ever played or even bothered to give more than a fleeting chance to league he would realise that the game is far more 'technical' than Union ever could be. Booting the ball into touch, scrummaging and forming rucks and mauls aren't areas that involve any skill, technique or mental capacity whatsoever. These are clumsy, outdated facets of the game that are also extremely uninteresting to watch and thus have to be defended in some way by people who are too prejudiced to see the truth.[/quote:lnxdgxk2]:

Yes and No....Ordinarily id say no...but this year is the fairest way of sorting it all out IMO.

Can you imagine how short changed we would have all felt had wire been deemed champions on the back of piping us to top spot, in a game where we were well below par due to a wembley hangover!!

For once, the play offs this year are the fairest way of sorting it, otherwise wire would now be champions by virtue of having the good fortune of the championship decider falling a week after wembley!

At least now in all likelyhood it will be us v wire in the GF and the winner will be able to rightly say they are champions without any comeback....Personally I think that will be us, as long as we play in top gear, which we should in a GF, we're too good for anyone, and as close as wire are, i include them in that. However, if it was to be wire, and wire are good enough to beat us when we are on top form, then fair play to them, they deserve to be champs and i will be as happy as I can be with the GF outcome. After all, at least the result of that game will be fair, instead of the alternative being us losing the championship on the back of unfortunate fixture scheduling, which would have left me pretty miffed!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: nohalfbacks "It was not intended to be a mathematical argument, smart booty. The 8th team only has a theoretical chance of winning because the probability of it happening is extremely low. When a team has won it from 8th you can come back on here and tell me it is possible in practice.'"

Dewsbury won it from 8th in 1973 captained by Stevo. Don't know what route they took though. Probably the main reason why they got rid of playoffs to decide the championship after that year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Totally support this top 4 mini league that has been mentioned. Think thats a good idea.

It gets rid of the also rans.
It would force clubs 5th to 8th to have to up their game to force into that top 4.
It would produce top class high quality RL with top 4 playing each other for 3 consecutive weeks(help internationally as added bonus).
It reduces the luck factor of a bad refereeing decision or glut of injuries for a specific game prior to GF.
It still gives a GF with a 70k plus crowd.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7764
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Personally I like the Play-Offs (Would go to the Top 5/6 format though) but as long as people remember 1 thing.

"NO TEAM" who finishes top of the league after the 27 rounds (Or whatever it has been in previous years) under the current system (i.e Since 9icon_cool.gif have won SL!
It applied when Wigan won it last year and it applies this and any other year whilst this sytem is in place.

Reason?

Because "IF" the league was decided on who finished top after the regular season rounds then the teams playing those 27 rounds would treat it differently. In other words the league table may/would have looked different if every team had been playing towards 1 goal at the end of the season i.e The League title.
They are now currently playing for 2, the 1st one being a position in the Play-offs decided by those 27 rounds and which they may wish to sacrifice league points due to other commitments i.e cup & international matches.
The 2nd is the Grand Final SL Title in which every team will give everything it has to win as as this is currently the ultimate goal.

As I say, if the 27 rounds decided the Super League then the 27 rounds would be treated differently than they are now by the clubs due to the play offs for the actual SL title so although a good achievement for me it doesn't actually mean that much in terms of Silverware. I would treat it as good recognition of a consistant achievement over the season and bring No1 in the starting grid when it comes to the Real fixtures that matter a good reward for those efforts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jukesays "Personally I like the Play-Offs (Would go to the Top 5/6 format though) but as long as people remember 1 thing.

"NO TEAM" who finishes top of the league after the 27 rounds (Or whatever it has been in previous years) under the current system (i.e Since 9icon_cool.gif have won SL!
It applied when Wigan won it last year and it applies this and any other year whilst this sytem is in place.

Reason?

Because "IF" the league was decided on who finished top after the regular season rounds then the teams playing those 27 rounds would treat it differently. In other words the league table may/would have looked different if every team had been playing towards 1 goal at the end of the season i.e The League title.
They are now currently playing for 2, the 1st one being a position in the Play-offs decided by those 27 rounds and which they may wish to sacrifice league points due to other commitments i.e cup & international matches.
The 2nd is the Grand Final SL Title in which every team will give everything it has to win as as this is currently the ultimate goal.

As I say, if the 27 rounds decided the Super League then the 27 rounds would be treated differently than they are now by the clubs due to the play offs for the actual SL title so although a good achievement for me it doesn't actually mean that much in terms of Silverware. I would treat it as good recognition of a consistant achievement over the season and bring No1 in the starting grid when it comes to the Real fixtures that matter a good reward for those efforts.'"

Good point. We wouldn't have had that scoreline at HJ the week after Wembley if the title was at stake. Then again if the title was at stake they wouldn't have Wembley unitil after the league has finished.
Still, i believe top of the league should be champions. The league is the bread and butter, then you should have other comps built around it ie, Chall Cup, Premiership playoffs, Regal Trophy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As long as we don't have this top 8 format next year. The playoffs will have been improved.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB137.gif
Riding along on the crest of a wave..........:cartoons/WB137.gif

The play-off system is a very good idea, it adds a huge amount to the end of the season, especially to the mid table clubs. But I would prefer it if the top 6 were involved, not the top 8 - too bloody hard to explain to non rugby friends!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32395_1324520597.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32395.png

Quote: Jukesays "Personally I like the Play-Offs (Would go to the Top 5/6 format though) but as long as people remember 1 thing.

Reason?

As I say, if the 27 rounds decided the Super League then the 27 rounds would be treated differently than they are now by the clubs due to the play offs for the actual SL title so although a good achievement for me it doesn't actually mean that much in terms of Silverware. I would treat it as good recognition of a consistant achievement over the season and bring No1 in the starting grid when it comes to the Real fixtures that matter a good reward for those efforts.'"

Are you suggesting that every side doesn't play to win? IMO, the entire point of the league is to provide consistent competitive rugby, if every side didn't turn up with the aim to win, then they wouldn't even be competing in the league. The problem with what you say is: most sides can't treat 27 games as play-off games. You make it out as though every side could up their level every week if it meant more, ask most sides and I'm sure they'll say after every game they gave their all, the point of the league is to ask the biggest question of all; are you consistent enough? I personally believe it's easier to motivate yourself and 'peak' for 3/4 games. Futhermore, last year, for example, Wigan were defeated in their first play-off game, but still went on to win the trophy, maybe it's just me, but I prefer the idea pure KO rugby; however, if we were to make the play-offs pure KO, then this 1st vs. 4th and so on would have to be revamped.

For me, even if the RFL/Sky prefer to hype the GF, we as fans should put more emphasis on winning the league, as I believe that's the biggest test for any side.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7764
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Roddy B "Are you suggesting that every side doesn't play to win? IMO, the entire point of the league is to provide consistent competitive rugby, if every side didn't turn up with the aim to win, then they wouldn't even be competing in the league. The problem with what you say is

I'm saying that if certain teams weren't fighting for a top 8 finish then there performances would be affected in games against teams fighting for the championship?
If there was relegation then teams at the bottom would in theory have more to play for come the end of the seaosn and may have extra focus against teams fighting to win the championship?

Despite what everyone would like to think players and clubs MUST BE AFFECTED by the scenario of the game in which they are playing?
Bottom of the league, no relegation playing a top 2/3 team end of season and deep down the will to win may not be there as much as if relegation were in place and 1 win could save them.
A team in mid-table would have virtually nothing to play for if there were no top 6/8 or whatever system you want to put in place. Is anyone suggesting that those teams DEEP DOWN care about the game as much if they weren't fighting for a Top 8 place to stay in the competition?

Bottom line is this.

Whatever the rules are at the start of the season every team knows them, you play your games in the way you best feel give you a chance of winning that title and I'm saying that under the current format not every team is 100% completely and utterly bothered about there exact place in that league for all 27 rounds, they're jockeying for position to get as high as possible whilst also having 1 eye on the play offs and making sure that they're ready for the business end of the season. That's when the real business begins and the 1st 27 rounds and how you play them gives you the best chance possible the higher you finish, that's all. Which ever team does that (And Warrington this year quite rightly deserve it) they deserve a pat on the back and some recognition.

HOWEVER
There is only 1 SL Title winner this or any other year

That will be decided on 9th October.

If they change the rules and next year who's top after 27 games wins the SL then that's what all the teams will be aiming to do, until then Winning on October 9th is all that matters no matter whether you, me or anyone else thinks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Reason?

I knew it was only a matter of time untill you posted this.

Couldn't be more true.

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.81591796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
karetaker
4m
Film game
Wanderer
8m