FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Earning the right.
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15483.jpg
:15483.jpg

No one from the coach down can take anything positive out that truly awful performance (one of the worst I have seen in a very long time from the point of view of basic rugby skills/tactics). Something is very wrong, the players look shot - have absolutely no ideas on how to play basic attacking rugby and the coaching staff seem unable to change it.

Players are going backwards at a huge rate on knots in their game management, even the more experienced players look lost or just plain drifting and going through the motions.

Something needs to change and I am now starting to think that the coaching position is the prime candidate, at the very least a major shake up is needed (assistant coach for attacking/backs from OUTSIDE the club is the very minimum - not another internal or jobs for the boys appointment). Wane is/should be on very thin ice right now if the Chairman has any sense - or interest which is looking more like the case - when did anyone last hear anything from him?

RankPostsTeam
International Star449No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I asked on Twitter last night if Mr Lenagan was bothered, his son answered and said more than I will ever know,maybe something will happen soon!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

To be honest, this Wigan side is the worst I've seen since Agent Millward. I preferred Brian Nobles Wigan playing style to this utter tosh we are getting week in week out. I've never been so bored watching Wigan this season, I've left games early, I've flicked over the channel and I've preferred to watch Warrington more than Wigan. Bloody Warrington.

Wane is deluded, he's living in a fantasy land when he tries to say "a team full of Wiganers would be the best for this club". If you want a team full of Wiganers, go to Wigan St Pats, St Jude's etc.

His signings have been poor, selections questionable and style of play less entertaining than England RU. He is persisting with deadwood (Mossop, Smith, J Tomkins, Sarginson, Tautai) and is either too stubborn or too deluded to say potential fantastic signings available which we have missed in recent seasons such as Ashton Sims. He released Jack Hughes who at the time needed to improve parts of his game but his potential was clear and under a good coach in Tony Smith is starting to realise it.

Crowds are down, enthusiasm for the team is at an all time low and he players look like they don't want to play for him. How else can you explain the sheer lack of grit and determination this season? The 25-0 win over Saints masked over the cracks, I didn't even "celebrate" it as I still thought it wasn't a great performance by Wigan, maybe that's my anti Wane stance coming out there.

Wane MUST go. The squad is terrible, style of play awful and overall that's down to him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star322
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65919_1328916886.jpg
"Just leave it to me":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65919.jpg

Quote: 100% Warrior "To be honest, this Wigan side is the worst I've seen since Agent Millward. I preferred Brian Nobles Wigan playing style to this utter tosh we are getting week in week out. I've never been so bored watching Wigan this season, I've left games early, I've flicked over the channel and I've preferred to watch Warrington more than Wigan. Bloody Warrington.

Wane is deluded, he's living in a fantasy land when he tries to say "a team full of Wiganers would be the best for this club". If you want a team full of Wiganers, go to Wigan St Pats, St Jude's etc.

His signings have been poor, selections questionable and style of play less entertaining than England RU. He is persisting with deadwood (Mossop, Smith, J Tomkins, Sarginson, Tautai) and is either too stubborn or too deluded to say potential fantastic signings available which we have missed in recent seasons such as Ashton Sims. He released Jack Hughes who at the time needed to improve parts of his game but his potential was clear and under a good coach in Tony Smith is starting to realise it.

Crowds are down, enthusiasm for the team is at an all time low and he players look like they don't want to play for him. How else can you explain the sheer lack of grit and determination this season? The 25-0 win over Saints masked over the cracks, I didn't even "celebrate" it as I still thought it wasn't a great performance by Wigan, maybe that's my anti Wane stance coming out there.

Wane MUST go. The squad is terrible, style of play awful and overall that's down to him.'"

This.^^^
I even switched channels to watch the England vs Pakistan 1 day cricket, so dire was the Wigan offering
Now there's a team that's gone from upwards at a rate of knots in the world rankings since a new (Australian) coach appointed. a046.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach604No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12150.jpg
It's just WIGAN, nothing else. Get rid of that stupid nickname.:12150.jpg

100% Wigan is 100% right about Jack Hughes. In my opinion, the same - only more so - applies to Ryan Hampshire. He and George Williams have been excellent together all through the junior ranks and internationals. They have never had a proper chance to partner at first-team level, and with good coaching they could have been the new Edwards and Gregory.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jonh "We have become a team who is not willing to earn the right to score tries. Our spine is no longer willing to manage the game and take on the line.

Tomkins, Smith, Wiliams, Powell and whoever comes on to replace them should they be out point blank refuse to challenge the middles creating space on the edges. Even with 12 and 11 we were totally unable to create an overlap. When we do go wide nobody straightens the line, we drift towards touch allowing the opposition defence to slide across without having to work.

All in all a total embarrassment. I fully appreciate some will disagree but tonight more than ever do I feel comfortable with my decision not to attend a Wigan match whilst ever Wane remains coach.'"

John like yourself I have decided not to use my ST until the end of the season but not just because of SW but because we have a large number of players who lack basic RL skills e.g. Sarginson & Gelling. Players who have no real position so have no key critical skills for the roles they are asked to play e.g. Powell and Tierney. Players that are physically too small e.g. Isa, Bateman and Farrell backrow. Forwards who are pretty useless e.g.Mossop & Crosby. Players who are vastly overrated e.g. Flower, MM, Smith & JT. Players that are busted e.g. SOL - hopefully ST will not fall into this category.
Sprinkle that with lack of fitness, no aggression and zero intensity we are on the back foot before we get to the coach.

I've been saying for a while it's more than the coach that is problem. The biggest problems are the woeful lack of quality in the squad, lack of physicality in the forwards to make hard yards and the exceptional poor levels of fitness
I've just listed the majority of our starting 17 and with exception of Bateman and Farrell if the rest left tomorrow I wouldn't give a fishes tit but for me you still cannot play Farrell & Bateman together in the backrow
KR and IL are as culpable as SW in bringing this shambles of forwards who can't make yards, half backs with such poor hands and backs who can't pass. If SW goes then KR for me must also go.
The club could give me a ST for next season even if was for free and as much ale as I could sup each game I'd still pass. The quality for the last 3 seasons has been so gut churningly awful it has sucked the love of the game out of me. It will take a lot more than some new coach coming in to get me through the turnstiles next season irrespective of who that could be.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4748
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

It's sad to hear long-time supporters talk like that, even though I don't disagree with much of what you say. I will say that Faz and Bateman are in my book two of the best players in our squad. if Bateman is considered too small for the pack, then play him in the centres; he's certainly better there than most of our 'proper' centres. But yes, a good clear-out is needed.

Get yourself a subscription to the NRL games, Itchy. It's not all great, but some of the sides (the Panthers. Eels and Tigers spring to mind) do play some entertaining footy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach203
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26685_1295292281.jpg
[b:340dy2d2]“Knock people out. I can’t give you any more of a free rein than that. “Create f****** mayhem. Be reckless. Because that’s what’s going to get us a f****** win next week.” [/b:340dy2d2] Sorry Shaun but these comments cannot be condoned and you should be ashamed of yourself:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26685.jpg

Quote: 100% Warrior "To be honest, this Wigan side is the worst I've seen since Agent Millward. I preferred Brian Nobles Wigan playing style to this utter tosh we are getting week in week out. I've never been so bored watching Wigan this season, I've left games early, I've flicked over the channel and I've preferred to watch Warrington more than Wigan. Bloody Warrington.

Wane MUST go. The squad is terrible, style of play awful and overall that's down to him.'"

Nail on the head with this eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: moto748 "It's sad to hear long-time supporters talk like that, even though I don't disagree with much of what you say. I will say that Faz and Bateman are in my book two of the best players in our squad. if Bateman is considered too small for the pack, then play him in the centres; he's certainly better there than most of our 'proper' centres. But yes, a good clear-out is needed.

Get yourself a subscription to the NRL games, Itchy. It's not all great, but some of the sides (the Panthers. Eels and Tigers spring to mind) do play some entertaining footy.'"

I rate Farrell and Bateman but together equals too small.
The last time I felt like this was one with Noble on a seasons opener against Wakefield when I thought I'd never see a team so inept again.
I probably will end going to a game or two next season knowing me! Its just the sadist in me! icon_biggrin.gif
Believe it or not despite my pontificating and downbeat posts I'm usually a glass half full man so the recent run is so wretched that IL must act because if he doesn't his investment in the club will be truely up the Swanee and I just can't see him letting this go on as it is.
The clear out we need are the lap top guys and the utterly useless fitness team for starters! Let the players play and throw the damn whiteboard tactics out with them at least then we might get a bit of excitement even if it means we are not good enough.

I have been watching a few Aussie games and must admit I love watching the Tigers even with their foibles. By the time our players have tried to milk a free at the play the ball the Tigers would have made 20 yards and have several options open with simple but great see back back up and an intent to break the opposition line. Thanks for your tip a few months ago on the Tigers they really are a breath of fresh air.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3738
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4067_1617434324.jpeg
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4067.jpeg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I rate Farrell and Bateman but together equals too small.
The last time I felt like this was one with Noble on a seasons opener against Wakefield when I thought I'd never see a team so inept again.
I probably will end going to a game or two next season knowing me! Its just the sadist in me! Can we sign Mitchell Moses , Luke brooks & James Tedesco please icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: hatty "Can we sign Mitchell Moses , Luke brooks & James Tedesco please Tedesco is the one for me but if they insisted I would also take Brooks!
Proper players with pace, fitness and fantastic ability.
Aussies don't own those but our guys seem to have lost it for some reason.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4748
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Yeah, those three are a pleasure to watch, aren't they? And after all, Brooks and Moses especially, as halves, are still learning their trade. Funnily enough, from I can gather, Tigers fans really slate their coach, but at least he hasn't coached all the natural skill out of his young players.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Watched Hull tonight and couldn't help thinking how good it would be to have Leon Pryce in our team! That really is his bad it has got!

Pryce runs direct and takes his team forward he runs at the line and takes players with him.

Obviously Pryce isn't the answer, but we are desperate for a genuine partnership that complement each other in the halves.

We have 2 traditional scrum halves who go East to West on a field. We need a North South half that drags this team forward.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "
With exception of Bateman and Farrell if the rest left tomorrow I wouldn't give a fishes tit'"

Excellent choice of words and sort of sums up my attitude for the past couple of seasons.

Wane gambled last night, and he lost big time. The sooner he goes, the better.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Madderzahatter "Excellent choice of words and sort of sums up my attitude for the past couple of seasons.

Wane gambled last night, and he lost big time. The sooner he goes, the better.'"

I want Wane gone just as much as anyone and have done since 13, but sweeping statements like the one you've quoted are laughable.

It's the same BS people shouted at the end of Nobles time as head coach. Fans used to say that we needed a new team when in reality all it took was a new 7 and a proper coach.

I'm a firm believer that our current side has ample talent, but we've just not seen it due to Wane. You bring in a hungry Aus coach + Tommy it's 2010 again and we are top dogs.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

15.43310546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
3m
TV Games - Not Hull
hull2524
14m