Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Yes I do agree with that. Powell has been excellent this season against all predictions but I think that a combination of Powell and Williams would be better.

I'd want Sam in the halves for the rest of his career. It will take time for Sam to get properly match fit which to be fair, could take months rather than weeks. Remember he hardly played all last season too. He will take over the organisation of the team from Matty in any case.

I'd keep Sarge at full back too. Gildart should be given time in the centre as long as he's playing okay, which at the moment he is. All of which probably means that we need both a full back and a winger for next season, one of whom needs to be a kicker. Any ideas?'"

I agree with everything you say there, a rarity! I wonder whether Rocky will gain a new perspective following his time at Cas and return happy to play full back? He's not looked too bad there at Cas IMO, he would add pace to the side and he's a pretty good goal kicker. Having Sam Tomkins in the halves would mean that they can swap mid game if Rocky is struggling under the high ball or we just need to shake things up a bit. Winger-wise I hope we are looking to the NRL, let's get a real athlete with a bit of size.

Other than that I'd like to see us sign a utility back to cover for injuries, someone from one of the lower clubs with a fair bit of SL experience a la Sarginson when he signed. I don't think Higginson is ready to be first reserve centre, and pulling Bateman out of the pack weakens us significantly. Not convinced Tierney provides good cover on the wing either.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

I think Tierney is a very good reader of the game and has better positional play than Sarge, he's also a better tackler. I'm happy with him as a squad player but not as first choice. He won't let you down defensively. He does have decent pace too.

I'd be happy with Hampshire at full back, but he is suspect under the high ball though he has improved.

I agree about getting in a decent winger from the NRL. I'm not too keen on Solomona who is the latest rumour. And I didn't fancy Carney whose game is riddled with errors.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

So it's been announced by Wigan that Sam will play some part in this Friday's game.
It's been mentioned that he's been training in the halves but I can't see him starting the game.
Long term I would hope that he can play at 6 with William's at 7 but as he's not played there for probably 6 years I think it will take more than a couple of training sessions to get him up to speed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pemps "So it's been announced by Wigan that Sam will play some part in this Friday's game.
It's been mentioned that he's been training in the halves but I can't see him starting the game.
Long term I would hope that he can play at 6 with William's at 7 but as he's not played there for probably 6 years I think it will take more than a couple of training sessions to get him up to speed.'"

Agreed!
Although I think he is THAT good that he can hopefully just slot straight in.

I think it's pretty much nailed on that he will start off the bench against Hull and go to 6, with Williams going to 9 and Powell getting a long overdue rest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Keep Sam as a FB. a dynamic player in todays game thrives off more of a free role. Your 6/7 are 'feeders' who bring others into the game, Sam is better suited to linking up in the 3/4 line pivot, that's where he is most deadly. Our attack will improve in leaps and bounds when he's back at 1.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Keep Sam as a FB. a dynamic player in todays game thrives off more of a free role. Your 6/7 are 'feeders' who bring others into the game, Sam is better suited to linking up in the 3/4 line pivot, that's where he is most deadly. Our attack will improve in leaps and bounds when he's back at 1.'"

I'm of the opinion that we need our best players on the pitch and 1. Sarginson 6. Sam 7. Williams is more appealing than having Smith in the mix.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29681
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I've been one of Smiths biggest critics this year but I do think we'll see a different player when he's got Tomkins, Williams and Lockers alongside him. He's certainly not good enough to be a man who can run a game on his own and grip games by the nuts but with those guys around him it should allow him to play his natural game. That game is limited but his role can still be an important one in our set up. We need him to find some confidence and for his kicking and passing accuracy to improve because both have been off.

In the short term Tomkins will probably play off the bench but in the longer term I still think we'll see him back at fullback. I'd use Sarginson as a utility from the bench and give him some minutes at 9 to spell Powell. I think he'd go pretty well in there taking on the line.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: NickyKiss "I've been one of Smiths biggest critics this year but I do think we'll see a different player when he's got Tomkins, Williams and Lockers alongside him. He's certainly not good enough to be a man who can run a game on his own and grip games by the nuts but with those guys around him it should allow him to play his natural game. That game is limited but his role can still be an important one in our set up. We need him to find some confidence and for his kicking and passing accuracy to improve because both have been off.

In the short term Tomkins will probably play off the bench but in the longer term I still think we'll see him back at fullback. I'd use Sarginson as a utility from the bench and give him some minutes at 9 to spell Powell. I think he'd go pretty well in there taking on the line.'"

Isn't the major criticism of Sarginson that he never passes? He's not exactly the best tackler in the world either. I don't think sticking him at hooker is the way forward

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I've been one of Smiths biggest critics this year but I do think we'll see a different player when he's got Tomkins, Williams and Lockers alongside him. He's certainly not good enough to be a man who can run a game on his own and grip games by the nuts but with those guys around him it should allow him to play his natural game. That game is limited but his role can still be an important one in our set up. We need him to find some confidence and for his kicking and passing accuracy to improve because both have been off.

In the short term Tomkins will probably play off the bench but in the longer term I still think we'll see him back at fullback. I'd use Sarginson as a utility from the bench and give him some minutes at 9 to spell Powell. I think he'd go pretty well in there taking on the line.'"

I think that's a fair assessment of Matty. I have supported him because I think when the chips are down he is a decent big game player who you can rely on.

I think that to play hooker you need a good tackler. Powell has excelled in this role because he will tackle anything, a bit like Williams does. For that reason I think you are more likely to see George at hooker if Powell needs a spell. Sarge can play at 6 if you want Sam at 1.

Personally I would prefer Sam at 6. He won't have the searing pace that he used to have, I think we could see that towards the end of 2013. His other skills will be to the fore. He is the best passer of a ball in the club along with Lockers. His kicking will come on a bomb now that he hasn't got Johnson hogging every play and his step in either direction will creates tons of chances for himself and others. Plus his only real weakness is catching the high ball which won't come into it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm indifferent about Smith, I fully understand the issues people have with his performances this season, but also expect to see a better player once the other pieces are added to the puzzle.

I see Smith's strengths as his passing and more importantly his kicking game, I'd compare him more to Adam Reynolds at Souths, someone who can control field position with his kicking putting us on the front foot which often relates to tries.

With a running 6 (Williams) playing off him, a second pivot in Sam linking to the backline and a strong pack in front of him I expect to see him shine. Adding Williams and Sam will add the pace and dynamic edge the teams needs and is currently lacking.

Sarg is a decent full back, but his decision making linking in the backline is way off the standard of Sam, Sam will bring out the best of the backline from the FB position.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain120No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74527_1452367614.jpg
[b:myocm3z2]Wigan Warriors will always be the biggest club in the world of rugby league I own the RL Gods[/b:myocm3z2]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74527.jpg

When Sam returns to the starting side this season he will predominantly be at 1, although he may make his come back in the halves off the bench depending on how that game is going (a sensible option IMO to get Sam into positions and to get a hold of the ball and a feel for the game)
I have been told by Shaun that he wants Sam to have a free role in attack from Full Back and that he see's big gains when both Manfredi and Charnley receive the ball from kicks with the option of Sam running out of the back with them

That is some back three and with plenty of strike options IMO

RankPostsTeam
International Star71No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Great to see Tomkins back. Not sure whether its just me but everything about our club seems to be dull, boring, lacking passion and enthusiasm albeit still being so close to the top of the table. Hopefully the return of Tomkins and a big win against Hull on Friday will inject a bit of excitement into our season and we can kick on from there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Sam's long term future is at 6 but for the next season or 2 he will stay at full back. We need to be careful not to expect too much too soon on his return, the best case scenario is 3 or 4 weeks before he is back to his best, worst case is he never gets back to his best.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20445
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1wlcmlhe][color=#800000:1wlcmlhe]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2024 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2024 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1wlcmlhe][/b:1wlcmlhe]:

Quote: MattyB "To be honest I would be surprised if they did, just in case of injury. If the Hull game has been planned then IL will take advantage of this, expect a massive promotion in the week leading up to the game in an effort to ramp up sales.'"

As I said.

Bums on seats.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25669No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigan RLFC "Great to see Tomkins back. Not sure whether its just me but everything about our club seems to be dull, boring, lacking passion and enthusiasm albeit still being so close to the top of the table. Hopefully the return of Tomkins and a big win against Hull on Friday will inject a bit of excitement into our season and we can kick on from there.'"

With the way we are playing, I'll be disappointed if it is a big Wigan win.

53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.68115234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Dave K.
31m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
42m