FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Time for change.
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star4748
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Yes, I can't argue with any of that. Just rubbish rugby.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "This is the worst I've seen from Wigan's pack. I mean, even though you went down against Hull KR's bullying - at least you put up token resistance. Against Warrington it seemed like every time the dummy half looked up expecting a receiver [ino one was there. [/i

Any coach watching tonight's match and the Challenge Cup game must conclude that providing you don't make major defensive blunders outside, it is entirely possible to intimidate Wigan's forwards into submission.

In the last twenty minutes it was impossible not to notice the [irelish[/i Warrington defenders showed toward hitting and hurting Wigan players. I'm sure Shaun Wane will criticize the commitment of some of his guys (and he's right to). But on the issue of recruitment he must take his share of the responsibility. All the "commitment" in the world is no match for one of two genuine "hard cases" whose job it is to make sure nothing happens to their teammates. Warrington, Saints and Leeds have their quota. But I'm really struggling to identify this Wigan pack's "enforcers". O'Loughlin and McIloram are the closest I suppose. But the former seems crocked this season and McIloram's veneer of invincibility has been peeling away for some time (Masoe was using him as a tooth-pick recently).

Credit where credit is due - Wigan's backs have single-handedly kept them near the top. As for Bowen, I can't believe people are so willing to point the finger of blame in his direction without ever mentioning the obvious catastrophe in the forwards. Personally I thought he was one of your better players last night.'"

Long time no hear Alice.
Agree with virtually all of your points which must be a first.
Masoe? He is as mard as shoite and couldn't rough up my 3 year old grandson. He couldn't enforce in an old folks home. You enjoy the present its hard if not impossible to defend our pack but don't bring in mard lard as some sort of tough enforcer for us to aspire to.
Questions for you - can you advise of any footage at anytime where he actually goes on the cobbles with any player in any match? Peacock, Skerrett, McTigue, Karailius and many many more could put someone on their arris and were proper enforcers who would make mard lard brown his kecks just by looking at him.
Enjoy your season and your probable forthcoming success but don't try and big up the type of player ie ten minute per session players who are slowly killing my love of what was an eighty minute game but has become a "squad" game of average joes who put in a split 20 or 30 minute shift.
I look forward to viewing the you tube footage of mard lard actually on the cobbles having a one to one toe to toe set to that you will undoubtedly be sending to me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

I put all this squarely on the shoulders of SW.

In 2009 that IL said We want success now. Success now is Australian coaches," '"

I truly believe that time has come again. It's time to reset the clock back to zero and start again with the next Madge i.e a rookie coach on the cusp of an NRL head coaching gig who wants to make a name for themselves.

I'd love to see Garth Brennan be brought in as he seems to be the 'next big thing' Bring him in with Deacon as his number 2 and it's 2009 again.

After that let's not make wholesale changes. We just need a little extra experience adding to the side and we are almost there imo. Sam will add extra class and act as a go to guy in the backs. We need to match that with a proper prop and some smart decisions (MM 80mins, Joel only as a 2nd row etc)

The one thing we can't do is carry on as we are. Pi$$ poor coaching and pi$$ poor selecton decisions are killing us imo.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I can fully accept tonight we lost and were poor. I can just about accept the manner in which we were beaten. I can even live with the tactics in regards to our props, the deficiencies there and throughout the team. I even want Wane to stay, but what I simply cannot accept is Wane's continual inability after such performances to publicly admit our failings, he seems beyond reproach. I want an acknowledgment our pack isn't big enough, or doing enough hard yards and that our attack whilst predictable isn't clicking at all. At least admit we have an issue with attack which we are trying to rectify (no shame in that) and are perservering with rather than spouting the same old rubbish after each loss that the ref was soft, that wasn't Wigan, too many errors, we were out fought or out enthused. If he admitted the truth that there are serious issues we are trying to rectify he might gain a modicum of respect and understanding.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach503No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26118.gif
:26118.gif

You're certainly not the Wigan of old that's for sure........but I never expected to troll your Board to view a post like this !!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain659No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73840_1605358721.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73840.jpeg

Our away form is a concern, and we need to rectify that going into the super 8's. We are so Jekyl and Hyde this season, going from the Leeds win at the Magic weekend, Hull KR and Warrington at home (our best attacking performance imo) to Saints, Cas and Catalans away. The casm between our best and worst performances is huge.

But looking at it in a glass is half full kind of way, we could have gone joint top last night with a win and are still comfortable in 3rd. It's not so bad is it?

I think there's parallels between this season and 2013, and we all know how that went when it came to the business end...

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I've just read Wanes post match comments and I'm raging!

'We were out enthused but that happens sometimes' and 'the things we did out there aren't us'.....yes they are, they are us and have been all year! And as for being out enthused, that's been the case 80% of the time this year and the fix has been promised on a weekly basis but still shows no sign of turning up.

Emotions run high after a game and people may have had a beer or ten so you understand knee jerk reactions but I feel more knee jerk now then last night after reading that.

Wake up Waney, the sands of time are running out unless he wises up.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Anglesey Warrior "Matty Bowen & MM were the ONLY players who stood up to wire tonight.'"

I'd throw Dom Manfredi in as well and even though not everything came off George Williams gave it a crack.

It was obviously his fault for the defeat (again) though as it was he that was dragged off.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I've just read Wanes post match comments and I'm raging!

'We were out enthused but that happens sometimes' and 'the things we did out there aren't us'.....yes they are, they are us and have been all year! And as for being out enthused, that's been the case 80% of the time this year and the fix has been promised on a weekly basis but still shows no sign of turning up.

Emotions run high after a game and people may have had a beer or ten so you understand knee jerk reactions but I feel more knee jerk now then last night after reading that.

Wake up Waney, the sands of time are running out unless he wises up.'"

Isn't that just what he always says?

Ahhhhmm devustayted, that's not the real wiggun. We set our standuds igher than that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I actually don't think the 3/4s played too badly, constantly looking for work, doing what they can to get us out of trouble (job the props should be doing). Gelling was a bit hit and miss but it's his first game back after a spell out.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Watching the match last night what struck me was how subdued Wane looked throughout the match sat in the stand and even in the dressing room at halftime apart from a few token waves of his cue board the talk seemed to be over in less than a minute.
Every time Wigan made a mistake and the camera went to him there was none of the usual head shaking, arm waving and ranting he just sat there stony faced, he looked like he was suffering the early stages of depression.
Or he could have been suffering from "man flu" because he was wearing what seemed to be a very heavy sweater.

As for the match the less said the better, but there is obviously something going on at the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Star993
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63644_1343901350.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3s5hr9kj]Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.[/color:3s5hr9kj]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63644.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I've just read Wanes post match comments and I'm raging!

Wake up Waney, the sands of time are running out unless he wises up.'"

My thoughts too. I read it and couldn't help shouting “shut up shut up”. He makes it worse repeating the same things over and over again after every shockingly bad performance. I've held off calling for his replacement until now because I didn't want to be a knee-jerker, but now I feel the time is coming, and if there's no big turn-around soon (and I can't see one coming) he should go. Then it's who? Well one hat I would throw into the ring is Daryl Powell, he seems to have the knack of getting the best out whatever he's got.

RankPostsTeam
International Star932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

That was a pi$$ poor performance. Pitiful even. Give Wane to see out this circus until the end of the season and if we win nothing it's almost certainly time to go. We all know Wane has his favourites and his bias and friendship with some of the players and families are crucifying this club, guaranteed games whether they are woeful or not. We need wholesale changes.

Bowen and Patrick will be gone thankfully but joining them should be, Sarginson, Smith, Mossop, Tautai and Crosby needs a kick up the or get rid too.

We have swapped a decent centre (who is OOC at the end of the season) and loaned him out to Huddersfield and got a complete waste of salary in return. Jack Hughes will sign permanently for Hudds im sure. 5 times the centre Sarginson is. What a complete waste.

I would draft in Corey Patterson from Salford, The man is a flying machine and strong as an ox, brings so much more to the table than Mossop, Tautai and Crosby. We need an experienced NRL prop and we need to bring back the meter maker Burke from Hull KR. Why do we keep experimenting with loose forwards that clearly won't cut it when we have Burke starting at 13 at KR and doing well.

Smith just offers nothing I am afraid. He isn't a game breaker, his kicking is woeful (although he made a couple of rare ones last night) and his leadership and handling leaves a lot to be desired. We need an experienced No. 7 with vision and a game brain alongside Hampshire at No. 6. Powell needs to be back up half back and Williams needs to revert to interchanging No. 9 with MM.

So that leaves the centre, Is Ratchford the answer I don't know, maybe. Personally I would grovel to Jack Hughes, apologise that he was farmed out and give the lad a new contract. Get Thornley fit in the off season so he can challenge for both centre positions leaving Tierney to cover FB and the wings.

Bateman and J. Tomkins to play second row and make Farrell work and train hard for a place in the squad because for 2 seasons his lack of form and poor discipline certainly does not warrant a claim in the 13.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain659No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73840_1605358721.jpeg

Quote: stillinthepast "As for the match the less said the better, but there is obviously something going on at the club.'"

Is there something going on? Or is it just years of losing our best players taking its toll? Plus trying to integrate a lot of youngsters into the side at the same time. Mix that with our most influential player and captain being in and out of the team, it doesn't exactly breed consistency.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain659No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73840_1605358721.jpeg

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "That was a pi$$ poor performance. Pitiful even. Give Wane to see out this circus until the end of the season and if we win nothing it's almost certainly time to go. We all know Wane has his favourites and his bias and friendship with some of the players and families are crucifying this club, guaranteed games whether they are woeful or not. We need wholesale changes.

Bowen and Patrick will be gone thankfully but joining him should be, Sarginson, Smith, Mossop, Tautai and Crosby needs a kick up the booty or get rid too.

We have swapped a decent centre (who is OOC at the end of the season) and loaned him out to Huddersfield and got a complete waste of salary in return. Jack Hughes will sign permanently for Hudds im sure. 5 times the centre Sarginson is. What a complete waste.

I would draft in Corey Patterson from Salford, The man is a flying machine and strong as an ox, brings so much more to the table than Mossop, Tautai and Clubb. We need an experienced NRL prop and we need to bring back the meter maker Burke from Hull KR. Why do we keep experimenting with loose forwards that clearly won't cut it when we have Burke starting at 13 at KR and doing well.

Smith just offers nothing I am afraid. He isn't a game breaker, his kicking is woeful (although he made a couple of rare ones last night) and his leadership and handling leaves a lot to be desired. We need an experienced No. 7 with vision and a game brain alongside Hampshire at No. 6. Powell needs to be back up half back and Williams needs to revert to interchanging No. 9 with MM.

So that leaves the centre, Is Ratchford the answer I don't know, maybe. Personally I would grovel to Jack Hughes, apologise that he was farmed out and give the lad a new contract. Get Thornley fit in the off season so he can challenge for both centre positions leaving Tierney to cover FB and the wings.

Bateman and J. Tomkins to play second row and make Farrell work and train hard for a place in the squad because for 2 seasons his lack of form and poor discipline certainly does not warrant a claim in the 13.'"

You clearly have all the answers, send Lennigan your CV pal you might be in with a chance!

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.814453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
10m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
13m