FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Marquee signings or bail out Oxford Utd??
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star100No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think reading lessons are in order.

I didn't criticise anyone in my post but merely posted a general observation. I'm sure those who want to read it have the ability to Google the story.

Can anyone deny the squad has been decimated since 2010?

When was the last FF?

With 3/4 senior pro's in the squad next year, I believe too much pressure will be put on them leading to possible burn out is this not a sensible conclusion.

This is still a democratic society??

This wasn't a reaction to the loss against Cas and I have had a season ticket for 30 odd years so I believe I am qualified to comment.

PS Mo had more vision

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Quote: lemonhead "I think reading lessons are in order.

I didn't criticise anyone in my post but merely posted a general observation. I'm sure those who want to read it have the ability to Google the story.

Can anyone deny the squad has been decimated since 2010?

When was the last FF?

With 3/4 senior pro's in the squad next year, I believe too much pressure will be put on them leading to possible burn out is this not a sensible conclusion.

This is still a democratic society??

This wasn't a reaction to the loss against Cas and I have had a season ticket for 30 odd years so I believe I am qualified to comment.

PS Mo had more vision'"

It is still a democratic society and democracy has spoken on this thread. I too would like to see a FF and the loss of players is a worry, but the OUFC link is bollox.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4168No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26766_1548857449.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26766.jpg

THIS
Quote: Father Ted "No wonder it has now come to silly sayings!

We are in a better position as a club than I can ever remember. We had more trophies in our halcyon days but I don't think the club has ever been as well run as now.

I'm around IL's age and he will have seen the trophies and the disasters I have.
Believe me these are very good times we are experiencing now, yes even only four days after being knocked out of the Cup.

He reads this forum and must be absolutely bloody staggered by what's being written here. Winning trophies, making profits, a youth development system that is as good as any and better than most. IL's done a great job at Wigan and I hope he continues for many years to come.'"

AND THIS
Quote: Father Ted "The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listento them.

I suppose it's a price worth paying but sometimes it doesn't feel like it.'"

Ian, I know you read these forums, you're doing a great job a014.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23350_1468449137.jpg
[quote="roger daly":1a7cbd66]Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="wrencat1873":1a7cbd66]It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Big lads mate":1a7cbd66]you arrogant pot prick[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Tricky2309":1a7cbd66]Look prick do one[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Willzay":1a7cbd66]you cocky pie eating c*nt.[/quote:1a7cbd66]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23350.jpg

Quote: fleabag "Who is Eric Pollard ?'"

He's the guy that bought Wigan to fund his failing football club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: lemonhead " In my view, our chairman has increasingly distanced himself from our club.'"

Perhaps he's decided that a club followed by any fans who reckon the previous chairman "had more vision" - even though he almost got us relegated, isn't worth bothering with.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29680
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Mo was great pre salary cap and terrible after.

Ian Lenagan is great in this era of a salary cap and I'd guess may not be the best owner should it ever get removed.

He's not perfect, I have my whinges about departures but ultimately you have to judge him on results and they've been incredible. He turned the club around and built it back up and he's the single most important person in our recent successes.

I'd love him to be a bit less tight though! But I'm a fan not a businessman.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "Sorry to be picky Dave but if he bought the club with Edge Hall/Orrell in the deal then Wigan RL were not "Given it by Whelan"? He did actually Buy it, just from DW not Orrell etc. themselves.'"

The implication of the post I replied to was that IL was the one who secured Orrell for the club and thus deserves credit for that. He didn't. It was one of the best things Dave Whelan did toward the end of the time here.

The fact IL bought the club which already had Orrell meant that is what he bought. It came as part of the deal.

The idea a new owner can take credit for what the previous owner did is just daft.

Quote: Jukesays "I would think whatever developments "The Club" have made since end of 2007 in terms of investing in upgrading & Developing Orrell should be placed as credits to IL. I agree the foresight to buy it in the first place should go down to DW however that particular aquisition came about (And Im not too sure the members of Orrell RUFC would agree it was done in an amicable way). IL still managed to make sure that it came as part of the deal to buy Wigan RL. So for that he has to be given credit?'"

Why? You are no suggesting DW was going to hold onto it are you? Without Orrell there would have been nothing for IL to buy. He's not daft enough to hand over £3m or whatever it was a for a bunch of players who share a rented stadium. In order to make DW saleable DW had little choice but to sell it with Orrell but I doubt he ever had any intention not to.

Quote: Jukesays "Also in terms of central Park academy I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one who doesnt completely understand how this is funded and what benefits it gives back to Wigan RL alone (Not withstanding the community & Social benefits which over the last couple of months I've had direct use of).
It would be interesting to see facts of this operation such as

If it's an academy in the sense lots of schools are being set up as an academy/free school it will get a lot of funding off central government but it has to be a school for that and I have no idea what CPA is.

I have no idea how much if any money flows from Wigan RL to CPA but if as I said money from transfers is going that way, that is a legitimate complaint to make.

Quote: Jukesays "Now Im pretty sure you'll be amazed to learn that I'm not totally in agreement with IL's recruitment policy in all areas and certainly the potential departure of say a Taylor or Charnley would in my mind leave a lot of unanswered questions.
However
I still think "IMO" that he's got most of the Big decision right and on the whole his overall Ethos/policies for the club, its players with regards to transfers etc seem to be working.
Will it be always be plain sailing? I doubt it and I'm certain there will be a few troughs in the future under his tenure however to look at the club as a Whole and see its transformation from 2007 to 2014 I think he's done a very good job.'"

I have not suggested he has got everything wrong either have I?

I think my original post in this thread was fair and was addressing the specific points raised in the post I replied to. The credit for Orrell lies with DW (not much does, but that does). I also can't see how the club has spent the sums its supposed to have got from transfers on the players it has bought.

I think the doubt some fans have can be summed up as, do we have to sell players to survive financially?

And I think what leads to that doubt is the money going out on buying players does not seem to match the money coming in from transfers.

As I said the idea IL is using Wigan RL to fund Oxford Utd is a non-starter. You would see it in the books.

What you will also see in the books is monies in and monies out for things like transfers, wages and all the other expenses and what we need to be the case is for this to show the club is self financing [iwithout[/i relying on the transfer fees.

Don't forget we have a salary cap that limits wages and so we should be able to pay to that without having to dip into transfer fee monies to do so.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2170
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23338.gif
Wellens 3/10 Like public transport. Late, slow and stunk FIOS:23338.gif

Quote: DaveO "
Don't forget we have a salary cap that limits wages and so we should be able to pay to that without having to dip into transfer fee monies to do so.'"

what salary cap? Salford can sign a world class full back mid-season despite the star studded squad they already have.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4168No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26766_1548857449.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26766.jpg

Quote: nikos "what salary cap? Salford can sign a world class full back mid-season despite the star studded squad they already have.'"

I hope you were bring sarcastic here nikos.

Their squad has no doubt drawn some publicity and Koukash is clearly paying most of them over-inflated wages but their squad is nothing more than a bad boys retirement home + Hansen and Kevin Locke.

I'd have Hansen back but he's probably the only one I would have. I probably would have had Logan back a couple of weeks ago too to cover when McIlorum was injured as at the moment I don't think Williams is living up the hype. He is very raw still and we need to look after him. That however is another story.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "Mo was great pre salary cap and terrible after.

Ian Lenagan is great in this era of a salary cap and I'd guess may not be the best owner should it ever get removed.

He's not perfect, I have my whinges about departures but ultimately you have to judge him on results and they've been incredible. He turned the club around and built it back up and he's the single most important person in our recent successes.

I'd love him to be a bit less tight though! But I'm a fan not a businessman.'"

Sums it up for me

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "The implication of the post I replied to was that IL was the one who secured Orrell for the club and thus deserves credit for that. He didn't. It was one of the best things Dave Whelan did toward the end of the time here.'"

However the way in which DW acquired Orrell could be questioned.

RankPostsTeam
International Star123No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68369_1347264927.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68369.jpg

Quote: lemonhead "According to a recent BBC article, over the last two years our chairman has had to pay Oxfords debts totalling approx. £1.2 million. Whist I don't have the evidence I would bet that the transfer fees we have received during the same period have totalled a similar figure. Is it the case that we are funding the dismal existence of Oxford at the expense of marquee signings to bolster our squad which has been decimated since the 2010 GF win? Next year our senior players are SOL, Mickey Mac and Bowen if he stays - whilst we have a good crop of youngsters, I fear that the turnover of experienced players will mean that the youngsters are going to get flogged. Also, strange that we haven't had a fans forum for a number of years? In my view, our chairman has increasingly distanced himself from our club.'"

It was great to see IL tonight.
Great announcement!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Dec 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: lemonhead "According to a recent BBC article, over the last two years our chairman has had to pay Oxfords debts totalling approx. £1.2 million. Whist I don't have the evidence I would bet that the transfer fees we have received during the same period have totalled a similar figure. Is it the case that we are funding the dismal existence of Oxford at the expense of marquee signings to bolster our squad which has been decimated since the 2010 GF win? Next year our senior players are SOL, Mickey Mac and Bowen if he stays - whilst we have a good crop of youngsters, I fear that the turnover of experienced players will mean that the youngsters are going to get flogged. Also, strange that we haven't had a fans forum for a number of years? In my view, our chairman has increasingly distanced himself from our club.'"

IFL strikes again hey! I wonder how hes managed to fund the re-signing of joel???

surprised we didnt see him come out on the pitch in black n white clothing with a swag bag over his shoulder.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wiganstripleL "IFL strikes again hey! I wonder how hes managed to fund the re-signing of joel???'"

Selling Hampshire to Saints.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Finfin "However the way in which DW acquired Orrell could be questioned.'"

I think the history of that era would make some sort of mini tv series. If I recall correctly they did try and run the RU club properly but the members got in the way and in the end it just went belly up. I don't think they engineered it.

Anyway, tonights news is just the kind of signing I want us to be making, so well done IL.

Joel is a player I was gutted to see leave so its great to have him back in his prime.

64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.0791015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
apollosghost
8m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
11m