FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Re: What will the RFL do if the DR. Breaks the Salary Cap?
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

I'd let him off, but only if he bought London Broncos too...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2979
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Good luck to Salford and the doc, I just wish the RFL could find another half a dozen like him.
Hopefully in a season or two, Salford v Wigan will be pulling in a 10,000+ crowd.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: apollosghost "Good luck to Salford and the doc, I just wish the RFL could find another half a dozen like him.
Hopefully in a season or two, Salford v Wigan will be pulling in a 10,000+ crowd.'"

That's the issue really isn't it. The only way reds will be able to bankroll all this is to get a decent crowd at Barton. What's the current state of their season ticket sales, does anyone have an idea? If they can't generate interest with all the hoopla that's been going on in the off-season, then what hope for walk-up or away sales?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: EHW "Much of it will come down to the ability to prove anything.

If 'Marwan Koukash Dubai Ltd' (for example) legally pays Sonny Bill Williams £3 million for "racehorse management fees" - how can the RFL prove it? and if they can do that, how can they prove what the salary cap value is?

Can 'Marwan Koukash Dubai Ltd' be legally compelled by the RFL to open their books and reveal what all their staff are being paid? Can Sonny Bill Williams be legally compelled by the RFL to open all his bank accounts to them?'"

Sbw to anyone else has to be registered with the Red Devils before allowed to take the pitch, due to insurance reasons of the players. As soon as he is registered with Red Devils all payments to the player is seen by the rfl. Shell company's, dummy corporations and all the rest of it don't work. Apparently Leeds tried to sign all their players to Leeds tykes on dual code contracts and then paying half from each, but only counting the half from Leeds rhinos on the cap. They were forced to stop very quickly (again apparently) as the rfl saw all player payments as opposed to just what Leeds were paying.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Should the good Dr re-negotiate contracts with his suppliers, animal feed, vets services, livery, etc then those companies could "Sponsor" SBW or any other player.
A company owned by Dr Koukash cannot sponsor a player.
That's as I understand it.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "Should the good Dr re-negotiate contracts with his suppliers, animal feed, vets services, livery, etc then those companies could "Sponsor" SBW or any other player.
A company owned by Dr Koukash cannot sponsor a player.
That's as I understand it.'"

It's still wide open to abuse.
Suppose I owned a company and as a Wigan supporter decided to give a couple of players cars with the company name on them. Then suppose IL decided to give me some work (not related to my sponsorship of course!!) at one of his companies. Unless I advertise in the programme or sponsor Wigan then as far as I'm aware nothing can be done. What if I own a few houses and let them out to players?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1704
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61641_1313077623.png
[color=#FF0000:18ol665r]A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final[/color:18ol665r]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61641.png

what if the player buys a horse for 50K and then charges The Docs stable 50k a time to service 10 mares in a year .... 500k........It has nothing to do with Rugby league so doesn't count against his salary as earnings derived from the game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Sbw to anyone else has to be registered with the Red Devils before allowed to take the pitch, due to insurance reasons of the players. As soon as he is registered with Red Devils all payments to the player is seen by the rfl. Shell company's, dummy corporations and all the rest of it don't work. Apparently Leeds tried to sign all their players to Leeds tykes on dual code contracts and then paying half from each, but only counting the half from Leeds rhinos on the cap. They were forced to stop very quickly (again apparently) as the rfl saw all player payments as opposed to just what Leeds were paying.'"

That wasn’t all the players, it was a few who Leeds wanted to play for both codes (mostly imports)with half counting towards the Salary Cap (or a designated portion for each) but were told that all would apply under the RL Salary Cap. I think the most obvious example of this would be Wendell Sailor who played 15 times for the Tykes and in two friendlies for the Rhinos who wanted to sign him for both clubs but his cap hit in RL would have been huge, so he went back to Brisbane. They were never actually allowed to do it.

Your shell companies etc are covered by the RFL’s regs and all payments are covered. However I can imagine the answer to the RFL demanding to see the books of Marwan Koucash Dubai (ltd) or the books of SBW (BVI) ltd being a fairly impolite no.

That payment doesnt go from Marwan Koucash or Salford Red Devils to Sonny Bill Williams. It goes from one private company that doesnt own an RL club, to another private company that the player may not declare ownership of.

The RFL could never prove, could never hope to prove, could never even really hope to know if offshore company A paid offshore company B any money. They wouldn’t really even need to be offshore. The RFL can see the books of the club, and probably the information of the player. They can’t hope to see the books of another company the owner of the club has, or hope to see the books of the company the player has.

Can you imagine the RFL asking Caddick construction for their payroll? Or to see their list of suppliers and their transactions with them?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: SmokeyTA "....The RFL could never prove, could never hope to prove, could never even really hope to know if offshore company A paid offshore company B any money..... '"

This would then be heading into money laundering territory & tax fraud - all very murky & difficult to track down (& the RFL would never have a cat in hell's chance of working it out unless they suspected something was going on in the first place or a whistle-blower popped up).
Either way, bordering on illegal in so many areas.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: CyberPieMan "This would then be heading into money laundering territory & tax fraud - all very murky & difficult to track down (& the RFL would never have a cat in hell's chance of working it out unless they suspected something was going on in the first place or a whistle-blower popped up).
Either way, bordering on illegal in so many areas.'"

It would be neither. It wouldn’t be close.

Company A can pay Company B whatever they want for whatever they want. If Company B for whatever reason decides later on to pay player A for ‘consultancy’ then that is fine and legal. If player A doesn’t declare his income at that point to the relevant authorities he would possibly have a problem. But offshore Company B is under no obligation to declare to the UK tax authorities it got a payment from Offshore Company A.

As long as Company A and Company B paid the relevant tax in their relevant jurisdictions, and player A declared his income to the correct tax Authorities when he got ‘paid’ by company B there would be no possibility of tax fraud, it isn’t money laundering in any way so that wouldn’t really be an issue.

There is actually nothing being held back from the tax authorities and no reason for the parties to hide what is going on from them. They arent actually avoiding any tax, it is being paid as it should in the jurisdictions it should

There is nothing in the Salary Cap rules which state that a player can’t earn money from third party companies just that those companies can’t be connected to the club. In this example company B has no connection to the club, it is simply a supplier to company A is connected to the club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "That wasn’t all the players, it was a few who Leeds wanted to play for both codes (mostly imports)with half counting towards the Salary Cap (or a designated portion for each) but were told that all would apply under the RL Salary Cap. I think the most obvious example of this would be Wendell Sailor who played 15 times for the Tykes and in two friendlies for the Rhinos who wanted to sign him for both clubs but his cap hit in RL would have been huge, so he went back to Brisbane. They were never actually allowed to do it.

Your shell companies etc are covered by the RFL’s regs and all payments are covered. However I can imagine the answer to the RFL demanding to see the books of Marwan Koucash Dubai (ltd) or the books of SBW (BVI) ltd being a fairly impolite no.

That payment doesnt go from Marwan Koucash or Salford Red Devils to Sonny Bill Williams. It goes from one private company that doesnt own an RL club, to another private company that the player may not declare ownership of.

The RFL could never prove, could never hope to prove, could never even really hope to know if offshore company A paid offshore company B any money. They wouldn’t really even need to be offshore. The RFL can see the books of the club, and probably the information of the player. They can’t hope to see the books of another company the owner of the club has, or hope to see the books of the company the player has.

Can you imagine the RFL asking Caddick construction for their payroll? Or to see their list of suppliers and their transactions with them?'"

For the rfl to clear him to play he has to be registered either as an employee or a director as a company in the uk. That is because they then have to register in the uk for tax purposes. If they tried paying from Dubai to New Zealand then Salford could sign him for whatever they like, but he won't be registered to play. Once sbw ltd is registered in the uk the rfl can use tax returns to calculate income, and therefore use a "estimated income" to count on the cap. This can be seen by anyone on company's house. It's in the same way teams can't hire wives as very expensive cleaners

There are of course ways around the salary cap, but require offshore banking after initial payments and or financial instruments and you encounter bigger difficulties than the rfl then.

To suggest teams should go and find ways to deliberately go around circumvent the salary cap in such a manner is only going to create more problems

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15783
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Nothing to stop one of the dr's offshore companies from paying money to SBW's mum and dad.....

Ant
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach72
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50373_1269192201.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50373.jpg

I seem to remember the RFL making an example of Barrow Raiders chairman, Des Johnston, a couple of years ago for breaching salary cap rules and making payments "off the books" to players. rlJohnston was banned from any involvment with the running of a Rugby League club for 8 yearsrl. Surely if Koukash does the same, he'll be penalised in the same manner? Maybe he wont since he has money and Superleague is a different kettle of fish from Championship RL.

Its one thing for the RFL to censure somebody like Johnston and another thing entirely do take on an intelligent individual with more money than them. However, they do have a penchant for making bad decisions so I wont hold my breath should it come to this.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "For the rfl to clear him to play he has to be registered either as an employee or a director as a company in the uk. That is because they then have to register in the uk for tax purposes. If they tried paying from Dubai to New Zealand then Salford could sign him for whatever they like, but he won't be registered to play. Once sbw ltd is registered in the uk the rfl can use tax returns to calculate income, and therefore use a "estimated income" to count on the cap. This can be seen by anyone on company's house. It's in the same way teams can't hire wives as very expensive cleaners

There are of course ways around the salary cap, but require offshore banking after initial payments and or financial instruments and you encounter bigger difficulties than the rfl then.

To suggest teams should go and find ways to deliberately go around circumvent the salary cap in such a manner is only going to create more problems'"

Koucash isnt paying him, He is paying a company he is an employee of, who in turn can pay him whenever they want (remembering ‘they’ is likely to be him)

He can be registered with a normal playing contract, and a decent wage. Koucash can then pay whatever he wants to Company B for ‘services’. Company B can then pay SBW whatever they want. SBW could wait until he had left the UK, and then have company B pay him his ‘Wage’ and he would never have to declare it to the UK authorities.

Many footballers already do it. Wayne Rooney does it, Michael Owen does it through a company called Owen Promotions, Theo Walcott does it through a company called TJW promotions.

There is no tax fraud, no need to not declare everything to the tax man, the correct tax can be paid, it isnt an attempt and there is no need to attempt to avoid tax.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Koucash isnt paying him, He is paying a company he is an employee of, who in turn can pay him whenever they want (remembering ‘they’ is likely to be him)

He can be registered with a normal playing contract, and a decent wage. Koucash can then pay whatever he wants to Company B for ‘services’. Company B can then pay SBW whatever they want. SBW could wait until he had left the UK, and then have company B pay him his ‘Wage’ and he would never have to declare it to the UK authorities.

Many footballers already do it. Wayne Rooney does it, Michael Owen does it through a company called Owen Promotions, Theo Walcott does it through a company called TJW promotions.

There is no tax fraud, no need to not declare everything to the tax man, the correct tax can be paid, it isnt an attempt and there is no need to attempt to avoid tax.'"

The RFL would want to know what you declared for tax. Also anybody who is caught doing it like that has an 8 year ban as precedent has been set. Also from my previous comment its a lot harder to hide money from the tax man than people believe and its hard to keep a company books straight with yearly salaries being paid of the books.

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0888671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
1m
Questions for Ste Mills
homme vaste
2m