Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif
:28305.gif

Quote: Grimmy "Would we even have enough teams to form a league if that happened? Others on here will know more about the club's finances than me but I thought most made a loss and relied on sugar daddies?'"

Why wouldn't we have enough teams. It would basically be a rule saying you are only allowed to spend to your means. It's then up to clubs to generate revenue or attract rich benefactors.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "Why wouldn't we have enough teams. It would basically be a rule saying you are only allowed to spend to your means. It's then up to clubs to generate revenue or attract rich benefactors.'"

because teams commit to a player's wage before they know their income for the year. So you either sign big names and hope the crowds follow, then risk getting booted out if they don't, or you don't sign big names, attendances drop, as does your league position, and you might still get booted out if attendances drop too much. Besides which, there are loads of variables, what if you have to pay for a stadium for example? At present a team could make a loss one year due to spending a load on a stadium, then make up for it with profits from future years. Under your system they couldn't, they would have the best ground in the championship!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4914
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "because teams commit to a player's wage before they know their income for the year. So you either sign big names and hope the crowds follow, then risk getting booted out if they don't, or you don't sign big names, attendances drop, as does your league position, and you might still get booted out if attendances drop too much. Besides which, there are loads of variables, what if you have to pay for a stadium for example? At present a team could make a loss one year due to spending a load on a stadium, then make up for it with profits from future years. Under your system they couldn't, they would have the best ground in the championship!'"

Spending on a new stadium would not affect the profit and loss account as its capital spending and would appear on the balance sheet.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Hessle Roader "Spending on a new stadium would not affect the profit and loss account as its capital spending and would appear on the balance sheet.'"

Its 5 years since I studied any accountancy and I was rubbish at it then to be honest. What about, a one off big transfer fee on a player who you expect to make that money back over coming years by putting bums on seats, selling merchandise etc. I'm sure there are various one-off expenses that result in a one-off yearly loss

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Hessle Roader "Spending on a new stadium would not affect the profit and loss account as its capital spending and would appear on the balance sheet.'"

Actually it would in the form of depreciation each year, but I take your general point that it is capital investment.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Grimmy "Its 5 years since I studied any accountancy and I was rubbish at it then to be honest. What about, a one off big transfer fee on a player who you expect to make that money back over coming years by putting bums on seats, selling merchandise etc. I'm sure there are various one-off expenses that result in a one-off yearly loss'"

Big transfer fee would go straight to the profit and loss (as would big transfer IN fee)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif

Teams have a decent idea of projected income and would have th course of a franchise period to break even rather than each specific year. In the case of significant investment in something like infrastructure this could be disregarded from the accounts with permission from the RFL.

If a club was to get it's figures wrong by say 100k all it would need is the owner to gift the sum to the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman2524
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1217.jpg
Knowledge flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings:1217.jpg

Great to see Salford & Dr K being discussed on the Wigan forum!

Just to clarify some of the things the Doc has said, ultimately he believes that the business must be self supporting with a number of revenue streams, hence he's said he wants to buy the stadium and have the development opportunities that would come from that.
I think his comments on the SC were born out of frustration and a realisation that simple organic growth will just not cut it in the timescale he has in mind. Hence his support for the idea of at least 1 marquee, off cap signing per team, unfortunately not supported by the rest of the clubs.
Having watched so many seasons of mediocrity I'm suddenly looking forward to the next couple of years!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif

Quote: BartonFlyer "Great to see Salford & Dr K being discussed on the Wigan forum!

Just to clarify some of the things the Doc has said, ultimately he believes that the business must be self supporting with a number of revenue streams, hence he's said he wants to buy the stadium and have the development opportunities that would come from that.
I think his comments on the SC were born out of frustration and a realisation that simple organic growth will just not cut it in the timescale he has in mind. Hence his support for the idea of at least 1 marquee, off cap signing per team, unfortunately not supported by the rest of the clubs.
Having watched so many seasons of mediocrity I'm suddenly looking forward to the next couple of years!!'"

I look forward to the the next few years with interest too. I think next year will be too soon for you to genuinely compete at the top but there after who knows. As for the doc what he said re salary cap was a bit silly. Any team with a rich owner is imidiatly under suspicion as Warrington have found out. As I have said on many occasions I think if someone is prepared to chuck money at a club he should be allowed to without limits. In a time when we are slowly loosing our best players to the NRL how good would it be if Salford could have competed for SBW or Benji Marshall.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BartonFlyer "Great to see Salford & Dr K being discussed on the Wigan forum!

Having watched so many seasons of mediocrity I'm suddenly looking forward to the next couple of years!!'"

Salford were the glamour club in RL in the late 60s early 70s, the Willows was the place to be on Friday night, people like Charlton, Law and Best were seen there.
To have any chance of emulating this, the doc needs to look at the transport infrascructure around the stadium, both public and private. The current system is a massive disincentive to potential fans.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13180No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12187.jpg
#RED DEVILS:12187.jpg

Quote: Finfin "Salford were the glamour club in RL in the late 60s early 70s, the Willows was the place to be on Friday night, people like Charlton, Law and Best were seen there.
To have any chance of emulating this, the doc needs to look at the transport infrascructure around the stadium, both public and private. The current system is a massive disincentive to potential fans.'"

Its all underhand, new roads will be completed by next year to make it easier to get away from the stadium and and extra link road that joins the motorway will then be started. eventually things will be sortedout.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9357_1623419489.png
[img]https://i.imgur.com/yQKRyyP.jpg[/img]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9357.png

Quote: RED LEAGUE "Its all underhand, new roads will be completed by next year to make it easier to get away from the stadium and and extra link road that joins the motorway will then be started. eventually things will be sortedout.'"

They need to arrange better public transport its shocking i was looking at getting back and its so irregular the buses after a game on friday its useless

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13180No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12187.jpg

Quote: MidlandsWarrior2 "They need to arrange better public transport its shocking i was looking at getting back and its so irregular the buses after a game on friday its useless'"

Tbh its all been put to the club and there doing their best to sort everything out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif

Quote: MidlandsWarrior2 "They need to arrange better public transport its shocking i was looking at getting back and its so irregular the buses after a game on friday its useless'"

I would assume that has much more to do with the local authority than the rugby club.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13180No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12187.jpg

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "I would assume that has much more to do with the local authority than the rugby club.'"

We have the mayor of Salford involved at the club so I'd imagine he'd be overseeing questions asked.

126 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
126 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.54052734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
ChampagneSup
9m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
20m