JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

CPWigan on WiganWarriorsFans.Com:

Quote: sergeant pepper "My logic for liking Gelling is based solely on the basis of talent and nothing else. I'm not sure what else you can base it on?

He might not have a wicked step BUT he's hard to put down, makes decent yards when we are in front of our own sticks and is deceptively quick when at full tilt. From his time in the academy at centre he looked a different player.

For me he could easily be a Keith Senior type of centre. Senior as player had no finesse in his game but did possess an ability to break the line and was a magnet when it came to attracting defenders to him. Gelling can be that player as once he's blasted through at centre it's going to attract more players to him next time.'"

Senior had very good footwork and excellent handling ability. Your comparison renders your view of Gelling worthless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35345_1422576416.jpg
Don't let your love turn to hate Now we've got to keep the faith Wigan Rugby League:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35345.jpg

Quote: 21-12 "What a ridiculous post. Iv based my opinion on gelling over the period he's been with us, not one game. Its a forum, it's my opinion, don't take it to heart'"

I'm not taking it to heart, but, in your post the points you make are idiotic, to put it mildly. That's my opinion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "Senior had very good footwork and excellent handling ability. Your comparison renders your view of Gelling worthless.'"

In your opinion of course.

It's becoming a common trait on this board that people simply shoot down others who don't agree with them.

Your opinion regarding basic errors such as show boating whilst in the act of scoring is neither here or there as not only is it something that can easily be cut out of his game but it's not a regular occurrence either. It's funny how people forget him commitment to get over the line which has already cost him an injury this season.

Keith was in no way shape or form a 'stepper' of a centre nor was his footwork the basis of his game. You also talk as if Gelling doesn't posses any sort of footwork either.

RankPostsTeam
International Star312No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

CPWigan on WiganWarriorsFans.Com:

The same SP that referred to another poster in another thread as an idiot for merely having an opinion contrary to his own. If you want to be treated seriouslt then come to the table with a better compaison of a RL rookie / nobody versus a British international, highly decorated winger / centre who played what just short of 500 games Seniors game was based around great speed for size, a very effective step and a big fend. I am a Wigan follower but strewth even I can give players from other clubs some credit. Go to the Rhinos forum and spoit your far fetched view and see how many laugh. Better still do not whine when you insult posters yourself. Pot, Kettle, Black etc etc.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Fylde_Warrior "The same SP that referred to another poster in another thread as an idiot for merely having an opinion contrary to his own. If you want to be treated seriouslt then come to the table with a better compaison of a RL rookie / nobody versus a British international, highly decorated winger / centre who played what just short of 500 games Seniors game was based around great speed for size, a very effective step and a big fend. I am a Wigan follower but strewth even I can give players from other clubs some credit. Go to the Rhinos forum and spoit your far fetched view and see how many laugh. Better still do not whine when you insult posters yourself. Pot, Kettle, Black etc etc.'"

Brilliant post there full of sweeping statements and yet more assumptions based upon nothing but what seems to be your own sense of superiority.

First of all my comment calling another poster an idiot wasn't because of their view point being different to mine. Putting the word FACT after a post just makes a person seem like a sanctimonious tool. I have no issues with people having a different view point to mine and in fact I welcome it as it makes the forum better. If the person thinks Gelling will never be 'Wigan class' and makes a case as to why then that's fine by me. Instead the poster in question took the lazy option.

Secondly your statement that anyone who likes Gelling is somehow basing it on none playing issues is laughable. I'm still not sure what these other factors are btw as I don't know the guy off the pitch so my views are based how I've seen him perform. It's strange that you'd put that at the end of your argument as up to that point i have to admit i didn't agree with what you put BUT at least you'd structured your opinion into reasonable arguments.

I'd also like to know how me saying that Senior wasn't a centre with great finesse is knocking him or also me snot giving praise to opposition players? Now that's another assumption you've made with zero info to back it up. For the record i thought Senior was a great player and i'd have loved to see him at Wigan. I just don't think he was an agile, free flowing creative centre in mould of Gleeson or other players like that. Doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a player.

Gelling is a big guy who's hard to put down, has a decent turn of pace (i'd say he's as quick as senior was) and after watching him in the academy he seems more natural playing at centre than he does on the wing. If i'm going to say what sort of centre HE COULD BE then i'll pick the best version of that type of player. IMO that's senior. That however isn't me saying Gelling could be better than Senior I'm just saying he COULD be that type of player.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

•Great hands
•Great work rate
•Good offload
•Good size
•Decent speed
•Decent tackle technique
•Poor concentration
•Poor positioning

His problems are things that should be able to be coached out of him over time, he's worth keeping imo

RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60422_1310296726.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60422.jpg

Quote: Bovrick "•Great hands
•Great work rate
•Good offload
•Good size
•Decent speed
•Decent tackle technique
•Poor concentration
•Poor positioning

His problems are things that should be able to be coached out of him over time, he's worth keeping imo'"

Another point to raise is about is awareness, does he actually know what he's doing? Does he know what the opposition are doing? Or is he just a tall battering ram and awareness is not in his forte? We have had so many smart centres and second rowers and he doesnt come across as a smart player. Come to think of it he does remind me of Joel Tomkins and he wasnt a bad player. Put that list to Joel and it matches!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8127No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't think he's had enough game time to come to all those conclusions about him.
I was pretty annoyed when, for his second try, he seemed more interested in throwing the ball into the crowd rather than going nearer the posts. Not mearly as annoyed though when Hughes went to right centre, that I can't understand. The lad struggles there and he had a poor game because of it. Gelling didn't have a poor game.
Gelling has to be tried at centre next time Thornley is hooked or Goulding is injured/ill. The right defence made Ah Van and Isa look world beaters and neither are SL quality players.
Not sure how many games Gelling has played in the first team but he needs to play far more. I'm not sure what to make of him at present.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29596
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

The lad will never win with some people. If he was English and more importantly from Wigan he'd be given that licence to make errors and people would focus on the positives like they do with the local kids.

He'll always have that battle to fight but he can only do so much. His try scoring record is exceptional, his workrate and attitude is excellent but he has things to work on, like anybody. One day we'll hopefully be able to judge him in his natural position also. He's never a winger but he gives it a fair crack.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "The lad will never win with some people. If he was English and more importantly from Wigan he'd be given that licence to make errors and people would focus on the positives like they do with the local kids.

He'll always have that battle to fight but he can only do so much. His try scoring record is exceptional, his workrate and attitude is excellent but he has things to work on, like anybody. One day we'll hopefully be able to judge him in his natural position also. He's never a winger but he gives it a fair crack.'"

The problem is that once their minds are made up (Lauaki, Gelling, Wane) it will take Sam like performances to change their minds.

RankPostsTeam
International Star776No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "The lad will never win with some people. If he was English and more importantly from Wigan he'd be given that licence to make errors and people would focus on the positives like they do with the local kids.

He'll always have that battle to fight but he can only do so much. His try scoring record is exceptional, his workrate and attitude is excellent but he has things to work on, like anybody. One day we'll hopefully be able to judge him in his natural position also. He's never a winger but he gives it a fair crack.'"

Agree 100%

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7349_1382076828.jpeg
CHAMP20NS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7349.jpeg

Quote: Jeff the God of Biscuits "I'm not taking it to heart, but, in your post the points you make are idiotic, to put it mildly. That's my opinion.'"

Care to explain why my post was idiotic? I clearly explained that in my opinion, during his period at wigan, I don't rate him. What's your problem?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5443
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
788_1290880131.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_788.gif

This "not local" issue is a complete red herring, he's being judged on performances, not origin. There are plenty of recent non-local imports that have proved themselves on the pitch, and equally there are plenty of local lads whose leaving is not particularly regretted. I'd be delighted if he eventually proves to be another Richards or Dallas, but I haven't seen much evidence yet that he can do so, and that's the sort of quality we, as a club, should be looking for.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach78No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Pro Gelling crew on this forum are unbelievable at times. Fans who reply, who for any reason don't like Gelling, get shot down in flames and called idiots and alike? There is no right answer and everybody is entitled to their opinion. To say if he was English people would be behind him and earlier posters also playing a race angle to a simple rugby debate is ignorant and childish.

Karl Pryce was English. Karl Pryce's try scoring record was exceptional. I was still front of the queue saying he was not good enough for Wigan, which he wasn't. And it is my opinion, and the opinion of many others on here, that Anthony Gelling is not and never will meet the standard required to be a starter in an elite super league team.

If you don't agree with our opinions then tough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15775
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

You lot are arguing like a bunch of old women

Hes a young lad who rarely plays and, when he does, hes out of position. Ive no doubt he is doing the best he can with the chances he has been given. I think ill let Mr Wane decide if hes any good or not

216 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
216 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6064453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
1m
Whitehaven
phe13
3m