FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Let's hope we're keeping our Plan B secret for the playoffs
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "We put 50 points on pretty much the same team using a structured attack last season.'"

How do you feel are attacking structures did against Leeds on sunday?
Take into consideration
Our movement
Split halves
How we use Sam in attack
Our attacks, anything more than the obvious one if you know what that is
Leeds rush def on the flanks.

I have answered in full explaining my thoughts, since you have mentioned our structured attack in a reply post I'd honestly like to know your thoughts in case I missed something when watching the game back.

PS I also commented on the arm wrestle and pack, stating how I thought Leeds won the arm wrestle pe-silly mistakes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mash Butty "And Sam didnt feature in the (GF) play off semi final, Matty Smith was strugglin for fitness on Sunday, the trouble is our forwards were expected to dominate on Sunday and they didn't- thats full credit to Leeds. A bit of fine tuning and Wigan will have a better chance of making both finals. The loss of the half backs earlier on in the season has had less impact than last season, it has also let us blood out the younger guns. I feel a lot more optimistic with this squad compared to last years, and possibly a weakening of the teams this year is clouding my opinion.'"

Wigan play to a set structure, the players in the structure is almost irrelevant as Wigan don't play anything off the cuff. The advantage is when a player is injured someone can slot in and know the structures.
The disadvantages is a predictable attack.

There's only one player that makes a difference in our attack, Sam. Our play is geared around opening up channels for him from FB.
Just have a look at our win/loss record with and with Sam, says it all.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: goobervision "I feel that Leeds should be worried, they struggled in attack and failed to score more than Wigan. In defence the leaked more points than the Wigan team.

The end result, Wigan win and our fans whinge about having a close game against one of the closest teams in the league and the team that have had the most success in recent years.'"

No, our fans spot the bigger picture, how Leeds countered our set play. If Leeds wouldn't have give away some silly pens/silly options it would have been a different story. Sinfield gifted Charnley a try.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stillinthepast "It has been interesting watching this article develop, it started out with the first poster just saying that we seemed to struggle when Leeds played with a rush defence. HE WAS SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES WITH THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS.

Most Points scored.
Least Points conceded.
Massive points difference compared to the opposition.

Those statistics do not mean a thing when it comes to a very close match, against Wire, Leeds and Hudds (to a lesser extent)we have been found out a few times in the last couple of years.

It is just common sense when things are not going well to have options, I was the first to post on this article and I mentioned having Sam at halfback on the odd times. Give your opponents who think they have your number something to think about.

One prime example comes to mind and I admit play 30 plus years ago was not as structured as it is today.

It was watching the great Bill Ashurst in the second row, Bill was one of the cleverest Forwards I ever saw play and without doubt the hardest .
Bill had a trick of receiving the ball even when in his own half, dropping it at his feet giving it a short punt then charging after it. All this was under the old 5 yard rule and defenders did not have much time to obstruct, if they did it was either a blatant obstruction or Bill used to take retribution.

What was brilliant about this was if Bill got through, the fullback or covering halfbacks had the choice of rushing forward to dive at Bills feet, or hang back, which was often to Wigan's advantage. Nobody dived at Bills feet if he was going for the ball.

I may have been a bit melodramatic with this post, but what I am trying to get across is always have options when thing are not going to plan.'"

Good post.

I feel people are focusing on how we've been hammering lesser teams and getting carried away, our attack structure does clearly work against weak teams, but that doesn't mean it'll work against the top teams.
With our structure without Sam we are 90% down on options, the whole attack is geared around opening up channels for him, just look at our win/loss record with/without Sam.

Once again a good team (only a small number of them in SL) found us out and stunted our attack. IMO there's only Wigan, Leeds, Wire and Hudds who are any good in SL.
V Hudds LOST
v Leeds LOST/WON (just)
v Wire Drew (Beaten everytime we've played them since the cup run) .

Wigan can turn over poor/average teams all day long, doesn't mean they'll be taking home the GF/SL or CC.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

No ones answered to the fact that we had at least four opportunities to score that were scuffed without help from the leeds rush defence (an argument could be made for oloughlins offload to joel moon being a result of the rush defence) All of which on another day would have stuck leading to likely scores.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Been quite an interesting debate, some spectacularly missing the point but no surprise who they are. Sunday was the first time this season we've beaten a top 4 side and as I said in the original post it was good to grind out a win for a change because they are the ones that will help us when the games really matter and not 50 or 60 point thrashings.

I think we actually missed Green quite a lot on Sunday as he has been the one who seems to have the rugby brain to adapt to the rush defence out wide and has varied the play a few times by throwing dummies, putting little kicks in behind allowing Faz to score and putting doubt in the defence for future plays.

RankPostsTeam
International Star274
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56553_1315654062.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56553.jpg

We've lost Thomas Leuluai, George Carmont, Jeff Lima, Gareth Hock and Brett Finch just from last seasons side. That is a serious amount of top quality we've lost and in the main replaced with young talent.
All this negativity about Wigan is crazy, we've absorbed the losses and look a genuinely top class team and that is an absolute credit to Wane, the rest of the staff and the players who have stepped up.

I ,for one, am really proud of how they're doing and i think we've got a great chance this year to win the Grand Final.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach706No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We definitely missed Green's smart play, although Powell had a very good game. Our attack is predictable at times, the key is to keep reinventing it throughout the season. Correct me if I'm wrong but the move to set up tomkins try was new to me, Vickery rushed up to cut out tomkins which left a gap for thornley. We need to keep using Sam as a decoy, a great tactic IMO. Wane is doing a great job with our attack.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Some folk are never happy are they? They moaned that we couldn't close out a tight game. Pats try was a perfect example of the forwards doing a number on their opposite pack and sucking the defenders in, and THEN spreading the ball out wide.

btw. After watching the video again I'm even more convinced that Sams kick was a goal.'"

It was more of a goal than Pat's first two! icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10172_1376829585.jpg
Dan Sarginson: "This is a fantastic opportunity for me to join the biggest name in the competition" 18/10/2013 Tony Clubb: "This is a new exciting chapter of my life signing for Wigan and I couldn't be happier" 18/10/2013 Romain Navarrete: “I’m very happy to have signed for Wigan Warriors. As soon I knew that Wigan were interested, they were the only team that I wanted to sign for. To me, Wigan is the biggest Club in Rugby League and it will be an honour to pull on the famous Cherry-and-White jersey next year. I look forward to working with Shaun Wane and the players at Wigan.”:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10172.jpg

Amazing how people can be negative of the team so far. Having lost the quality players last year and starting with a new half back partnership, and suffering the injuries to Hansen, Prescott, Lauaki, Mossop, I'm very happy to be top four, let alone top. Yes, Leeds made us work hard, but let's not forget they are the Grand Final winners, and have great pedigree in winning the competition.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Smooth Stu "Amazing how people can be negative of the team so far. Having lost the quality players last year and starting with a new half back partnership, and suffering the injuries to Hansen, Prescott, Lauaki, Mossop, I'm very happy to be top four, let alone top. Yes, Leeds made us work hard, but let's not forget they are the Grand Final winners, and have great pedigree in winning the competition.'"

Most of the constructive comments on this thread have not been negative, all some posters are trying to point out is that is another arrow in your bow to be able to change things if plan A is not working.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

I'm fine with how we are playing at the moment. We will win nothing by trying to peak in May. So what if there are areas for improvement, maybe SW has learned some lessons from last year and is preparing the side to hit top form when it really matters. I think we have a great chance of silverware this season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stillinthepast "Most of the constructive comments on this thread have not been negative, all some posters are trying to point out is that is another arrow in your bow to be able to change things if plan A is not working.'"

Good post, and I totally agree. Some people miss the point of a forum and discussion, unless you shout from the rooftops that Wigan are the greatest thing in the world today you're being negative, this in term gives people an excuse to start an argument rather than a discussion.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Good post, and I totally agree. Some people miss the point of a forum and discussion, unless you shout from the rooftops that Wigan are the greatest thing in the world today you're being negative, this in term gives people an excuse to start an argument rather than a discussion.'"

So, if you are negative, its a discussion, but if someone disagrees with you, its an argument?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Wigan Peer "So, if you are negative, its a discussion, but if someone disagrees with you, its an argument?'"

People are not being negative in this thread.

Theres a difference in disagreeing with someone compared to having a pop at them by accusing them (or people in general) of being negative. A valid point of disagreement would be how significant Green's absence was. But for example prefacing any opinions on that by accusing people who don't think it would have made a great deal of difference with accusations of negativity isn't a discussion because it has nothing to do with the topic.

90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.30908203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
0m
Call for funds
Listenup94
3m