FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Maguire to Souths - Official?
215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5396No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19595_1354583406.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19595.jpg

www.sportal.com.au/league-news-d ... ire-118424

A source close to the club told Sportal: "It's a done deal. They moved on him as soon as word came through about Bennett."

It's understood Maguire has agreed a three-year deal worth around $1m.
www.sportal.com.au/league-news-d ... ire-118424

A source close to the club told Sportal: "It's a done deal. They moved on him as soon as word came through about Bennett."

It's understood Maguire has agreed a three-year deal worth around $1m.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: cherryandwhitedavid06 "Is anyone worried he may be interested in bringing some players over once he goes back. He always goes on about what a brilliant athlete Josh Charnley is and how highly he rates Sean O'Loughlin and Liam Farrell. I just hope he doesn't get any ideas. Thankfully most of our young lads have signed new contracts and those young lads would probably want to make a name for themselves at Wigan first. Just a thought I was thinking with so much money flying around in NRL, contracts could easily be bought out.'"

I don't wish to sound disloyal, but I'd be surprised if there was anyone outside the Tomkins brothers who would be deemed as exciting prospects in the NRL.

I'm not saying that other players couldn't make a good go of it, but I'm sure Souths have plenty of existing players who are of a comparable standard to Lockers and co.

We were bitterly upset about losing Platt, Betts and Clarke to Aus - it ripped the heart out of our unstoppable pack. But we haven't got anyone in that class at present.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27588.gif
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.:27588.gif

Quote: Cruncher "I don't wish to sound disloyal, but I'd be surprised if there was anyone outside the Tomkins brothers who would be deemed as exciting prospects in the NRL.

I'm not saying that other players couldn't make a good go of it, but I'm sure Souths have plenty of existing players who are of a comparable standard to Lockers and co.

We were bitterly upset about losing Platt, Betts and Clarke to Aus - it ripped the heart out of our unstoppable pack. But we haven't got anyone in that class at present.'"

I think Liam Farrell has got all the makings to be a top class player as well as Josh Charnley and plying their trade in the NRL would only accelerate that I feel. Mossop also. Just glad IL signed them all up. Perhaps he was worried about this situation coming up

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7374
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon we will be dancing the Fandango FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. JAMIE PEACOCK:

Quote: Wigan/Leeds Andy "Playing a friendly three years ago and spinning lots of PR bluff that didn't happen isn't really a partnership/relationship is it?'"

joke,joke!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: lionarmour87 "joke,joke!'"

Too right it was.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: -Tracie- "For me I would be disappointed if he went before his contract was up but not heartbreaking. We still have Waney!! TBH he came over only ever having been and assistant - he has proven hi9mself and now looking to be getting offers from one of the biggest clubs in NRL. Would you say no??'"

Given I was coaching the most famous RL side in the world, if I'd signed a three year deal I would say no. It's not exactly a bad job is it! This isn't Saints we are talking about here icon_wink.gif There are plenty of people who work on short term contracts in all walks of life who honour the contract they sign and they do so because if they don't, their reputation suffers. If we lamely accept that walking out onto a freely entered into agreement is OK the minute a bit more cash hits the table we have hit a pretty poor state of affairs. I remember the first person to break a high profile contract was Iyestin Harris who signed a five year deal at Wire and then when Leeds came sniffing he went into a sulk. He got bucket loads of flak for that at the time from all quarters but these days it seems its acceptable to walk away with complete disregard for your commitment.

It would also mean Madge has been talking to other clubs about leaving a mere 16 months into his deal. That is not the right attitude of a committed coach IMO. Noble was slagged off on this board for talking to other clubs but at least he had an excuse he didn't know where he stood whereas Madge has over half his contract remaining.

Raper's name has been mentioned in this thread and when he did the same thing as is being suggested here he was shown the door and if Madge does the same I would not be disappointed if he left early as you need a committed coach not someone the players think may well be going through the motions while he sees his time out. There is actually a huge difference between honouring your contract and deciding not to renew it compared to leaving early in terms of what it says about you and your commitment.

All that said its about time IL made some sort of statement. After all he once promised to keep the fans informed (no secrets etc) and given all the major newspapers are running with this its about time the fans were put in the picture as its naive to think he doesn't know the score.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Well, definitely looks like he's off. It's just a matter of when and who'll pick up the reins. Is Wane up to the job? Is it better he takes over now, so we get a better idea of what he can do?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Given I was coaching the most famous RL side in the world, if I'd signed a three year deal I would say no. It's not exactly a bad job is it! This isn't Saints we are talking about here
That's all very well, but Wigan have sacked more than their fair share of coaches before their contract was up over the years and reputations work both ways.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8128No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If Maguire's contract is a two year deal with a third year as option, as stated, then if he goes at the end of this season how come he's supposedly quitting before the end of his contract?
If he does two years he's fulfilled his initial contract.
Andy Wilson's speculation re Giz is interesting.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FearTheVee "That's all very well, but Wigan have sacked more than their fair share of coaches before their contract was up over the years and reputations work both ways.'"

Also, I don't think we can really quote examples of coaches talking to other clubs as if it's proof that they are somehow dishonourable people. They have to look to their life beyond the next couple of years, and if possible to increase their earnings and their profile. Talking about your future does not necessarily mean that you're about to duck out of a contract mid-way through.

Nobby isn't a good example because he played a very deliberate game - to force IL's hand IMO - wherein he seemed to court newspaper speculation that he was going for interviews and looking for a way out.

As things are, I don't think Michael Maguire has done anything that Graham Lowe didn't do towards the end of his stint at Wigan. Lowey had a job waiting when he announced that he was leaving, so clearly he too had been talking to other clubs while serving as Wigan coach, and no-one thought any the less of him.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18803
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
699_1268771516.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_699.gif

Quote: Father Ted "
Andy Wilson's speculation re Giz is interesting.'"

"Looks nailed on" he says. I just wish they'd get it sorted. If he goes at the end of the year it won't be a big blow, we'll have the best part of six months to prepare for it.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "If Maguire's contract is a two year deal with a third year as option, as stated, then if he goes at the end of this season how come he's supposedly quitting before the end of his contract?

The first we have heard of a two year deal with an option for a third is since this rumour started. When he was signed all we were told is a three year deal and this was not corrected by the club e.g.

rlhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/6268901/Michael-Maguire-to-coach-Wigan-Warriors.htmlrl

And more importantly from the clubs web site:

www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news

Which actually says in the first sentence:

"Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce the appointment of Michael Maguire as their new Head Coach. Michael has signed a three-year Contract with the Club for Seasons 2010, 2011 and 2012. "

You can't get much clearer that it was a three year deal when they actually spell each year out.
Quote: Father Ted "If Maguire's contract is a two year deal with a third year as option, as stated, then if he goes at the end of this season how come he's supposedly quitting before the end of his contract?

The first we have heard of a two year deal with an option for a third is since this rumour started. When he was signed all we were told is a three year deal and this was not corrected by the club e.g.

rlhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/6268901/Michael-Maguire-to-coach-Wigan-Warriors.htmlrl

And more importantly from the clubs web site:

www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news

Which actually says in the first sentence:

"Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce the appointment of Michael Maguire as their new Head Coach. Michael has signed a three-year Contract with the Club for Seasons 2010, 2011 and 2012. "

You can't get much clearer that it was a three year deal when they actually spell each year out.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "Also, I don't think we can really quote examples of coaches talking to other clubs as if it's proof that they are somehow dishonourable people. They have to look to their life beyond the next couple of years, and if possible to increase their earnings and their profile. Talking about your future does not necessarily mean that you're about to duck out of a contract mid-way through.'"

But that is entirely what the speculation amounts to, that Madge will duck out of his contract early.

Quote: Cruncher "Nobby isn't a good example because he played a very deliberate game - to force IL's hand IMO - wherein he seemed to court newspaper speculation that he was going for interviews and looking for a way out.

As things are, I don't think Michael Maguire has done anything that Graham Lowe didn't do towards the end of his stint at Wigan. Lowey had a job waiting when he announced that he was leaving, so clearly he too had been talking to other clubs while serving as Wigan coach, and no-one thought any the less of him.'"

Madge is not remotely at the end of his stint here so there is no comparison. If he was talking to clubs about half way through 2012 that would be fine and as expected but if there is anything in this he has been doing so less than half way through his deal. If that is true it is just as bad as Noble IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "But that is entirely what the speculation amounts to, that Madge will duck out of his contract early.

Madge is not remotely at the end of his stint here so there is no comparison. If he was talking to clubs about half way through 2012 that would be fine and as expected but if there is anything in this he has been doing so less than half way through his deal. If that is true it is just as bad as Noble IMO.'"

If Michael Maguire is contacted by Russell Crowe midway through his Wigan deal, I'm not sure he personally can be blamed. Likewise, I'm not sure he can be blamed if he finds a fabulous offer to go and coach a top side in the NRL so enticing that he doesn't seek a chat with IL and try to find out if he can leave his contract after serving two years out of three.

However, I am starting to suspect that all of this may be at the root of our indifferent form. Especially now that a national journalist has introduced Shaun Edwards into the discussion, it's difficult to imagine that quite a few people won't have their mind on other things when they should be preparing for matches.

Giz
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach77No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41248_1294849091.jpg
In Madge We Trust:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41248.jpg

Quote: DaveO "But that is entirely what the speculation amounts to, that Madge will duck out of his contract early.

Madge is not remotely at the end of his stint here so there is no comparison. If he was talking to clubs about half way through 2012 that would be fine and as expected but if there is anything in this he has been doing so less than half way through his deal. If that is true it is just as bad as Noble IMO.'"

Agree entirely. I posted on here a last week that he has a 3 year deal with the club and that I would expect him to honour that. Maguire is integral to our plans, he has led the recruitment and forward planning for a 3 year term. IL has given him the authority to bring in the 3 from melbourne on deals which roughly shadow his own - for him to leave now would be really disruptive.

Wigan have given him a chance to shine as a head coach - and he has excelled, hence the interest in him from the NRL. It cant be right that we end up suffering for our success last year - thats the whole point of securing him on a contract, it (theoretically) ties him to the club - rain, hail or shine.

Contracts are reallly not worth the paper they are written on...IMO.

215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2919921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Staying or Not
Les Norton
11m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
22m