FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Stuart Fielden....
158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
AJ
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1530.gif
:1530.gif

Quote: jonh "In the days of the cap we have to judge players on value for money, Fielden does not provide value for money.

Getting value for money is crucial. I personally think Fielden is playing the role of the third supporting Prop yet he is paid World Class money, and there in is the problem.'"

Id agree with that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "

1) I have been critical of players. I have not said that Fielden has been superb. What I have said is that he has not been as poor as many have said.
There is a big difference.

2) That is the big problem, people are judging Fielden on his wages, not his performance.

3) Who would you rather have had in your team for the last three years, Stuart Fielden or Jason Cayless, of course durability is a major factor.'"

Fielden is paid to be be our lead prop just like Mozza, Peacock and Graham are all paid handsomely by there respective clubs to be there leading man. The difference between those three and Fielden is at present there justifying there own high salaries.

Of course I'd rather have Fielden, but the point there is that Saints haven't missed Cayless as much as expected because of the work of there other props. Fielden on the other hand are best paid prop has been injury free all that time yet are pack hasn't performed better than the Saints pack. Could you honestly see Fielden pick up the slack like Graham has at Saints were Coley to get Injured?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Quote: jonh "In the days of the cap we have to judge players on value for money, Fielden does not provide value for money.

Getting value for money is crucial. I personally think Fielden is playing the role of the third supporting Prop yet he is paid World Class money, and there in is the problem.'"

You summed it up better than I ever could jon.

I just seem to mutter on.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30097.jpg
simply the best:30097.jpg

stuart needs a big season. that goes without saying. As do all the forwards. were not going to perform well playing behind a beaten pack. feka to slim down, coley to run in with more venom. prescott to stay injury free. and fielden to lead from the front. that will do for me. If the coaching staff can sort that out then its a good start

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach903
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16304_1526976105.jpg
[size=100:2md8k3b3][b:2md8k3b3]'Do you remember when we had that meeting in Orlando? We talked about how we were knocked out the previous year by Leeds. And at the end, I asked you one question. "Do you want to be a semi-final team? Or do you want to do something special?" You all said you wanted to win. But talking is easy – it needed you to believe. It needed you to work hard – harder than you had – and make sacrifices. You did all that. you worked for each other. You stuck together when it was tough. And because of your efforts, you sit here tonight as champions. I'm proud of you. Be proud of yourselves. You've done something special.' [color=red:2md8k3b3] Shaun Wane's post-Grand Final speech. 5th October 2013.[/color:2md8k3b3][/b:2md8k3b3][/size:2md8k3b3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16304.jpg

It's probably been said earlier (just quickly skimmed through the thread) but hopefully having Fielden out of his comfort zone under Noble he'll be able to make a fresh start under Maguire and show us the form that made him one of the best props in the world.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17252No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3369.jpg
:3369.jpg

I don't think we'll see any change from him.

His form has been pretty consistant since his arrival, but to to standard that is certainly not worth his wages nor what we saw at Bradford. There have been occaisions (probably count them on one hand) when he has a very good game and you start to think he's back on previous from, but he doesn't back it up the following week.

Although I support him as a player and like him as a person, I am looking forward to seeing who will fill his position next year and using the huge chunk of the salary cap that is used on his wages.

Brutally honest and it may upset a few supporters who struggle to accept negativity, but it's obvious he's been a poor signing and I haven't seen anything that indicates he will improve next season, unfortunately.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1209No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
92.gif
:92.gif

When Fielden was signed Maurice Lindsay basically said that he had been signed to do the work of two props.

And obviously he is on a salary to boot

Another sign of the crippling mismanagement the club experienced in the last few years of Maurice Lindsay's reign.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This coming season may be Fielden's last chance. Not just at Wigan, but as a well-paid sportsman.

Though he works hard in matches, as others have said, he doesn't do the extra things that would justifiy his wages.

I doubt there'll be any takers once he finishes at Wigan, unless he's prepared to take a big pay-cut ... or unless he has an extra-special season, which I too feel is unlikely given that he seems to have settled into his current role rather too comfortably.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

Quote: jameswk "stuart needs a big season. that goes without saying. As do all the forwards. were not going to perform well playing behind a beaten pack. feka to slim down, coley to run in with more venom. prescott to stay injury free. and fielden to lead from the front. that will do for me. If the coaching staff can sort that out then its a good start'"

I think that Coley has actually performed better at Wigan than a lot of people expected.

When you consider the up and down form of both Feka and Fielden i don't think that Coley has done badly at all and has certanly been one of Brian Nobles better signings along with George Carmont. Both low profile signings but both have delivered good value for money in my eyes.

What the current pack lacks is aggresion and leadership, how i long for the days of having a duo like Quentin Pongia and Craig Smith up front for Wigan.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29622
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: ABP' "I don't think we'll see any change from him.

His form has been pretty consistant since his arrival, but to to standard that is certainly not worth his wages nor what we saw at Bradford. There have been occaisions (probably count them on one hand) when he has a very good game and you start to think he's back on previous from, but he doesn't back it up the following week.

Although I support him as a player and like him as a person, I am looking forward to seeing who will fill his position next year and using the huge chunk of the salary cap that is used on his wages.

Brutally honest and it may upset a few supporters who struggle to accept negativity, but it's obvious he's been a poor signing and I haven't seen anything that indicates he will improve next season, unfortunately.'"

Spot on.

I expect him to have a similar season. If he does it'll have been another solid year by most players standards but a poor one by the Fielden of old standards.

He'll more then likely go at the end of next season and I believe that even if Wigan want to keep him. I reckon he'll move back to Yorkshire unless somebody like Celtic or Quins offer him a big wage.

As for what we can do with his money it should be quite abit. With guys like Luke Bailey, Fui Fui Moi Moi and McArthy-Scarsbrook off contract at the end of 2010 there can't be any excuse for not bringing in a quality prop to replace him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7574No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2013Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17903_1300914398.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1a02isux][b:1a02isux]IN A WARRIORS CODE THERE'S NO SURRENDER....THOUGH HIS BODY SAYS STOP, HIS SPIRIT CRY'S NEVER!!!![/b:1a02isux][/color:1a02isux]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17903.jpg

I dont think Stu is a person whos got his head in the sand.

He knows he will not get anywhere near the wage hes on again.No reason IMO if he reacts well with the new coaching set up he cant stay at the club on a smaller wage.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3781No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="kimmo":19twb50c]your 6 7 and 9 this year will kill you off you will not make the play offs ,keep this post untill the end of the year and then we will come back to it and the best man wins ,deal or no deal .[/quote:19twb50c]:

This is Fieldens first proper pre season at the club due to surgery in previous seasons. Rumours I have heard is he has taken to the new training regime well and is in great shape.

It will be interesting to see how he develops under a new coach with new ideas. He has played under Nobby for most of his career.

Overall I do not think Fielden has been poor for us but he has done nothing to suggest he deserves the high wage he is getting. I agree with what people have said he should be leading from the front ala Mozza, Graham and Peacock.

I do think he is isolated a little bit though. Prescott is developing into a good prop but is a bit injury prone. Coleys has improved but hes not better than average. Feka is unfit and an impact prop. So in reality he is out on his own.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: - Neil - "This is Fieldens first proper pre season at the club due to surgery in previous seasons. Rumours I have heard is he has taken to the new training regime well and is in great shape.

It will be interesting to see how he develops under a new coach with new ideas. He has played under Nobby for most of his career.

Overall I do not think Fielden has been poor for us but he has done nothing to suggest he deserves the high wage he is getting. I agree with what people have said he should be leading from the front ala Mozza, Graham and Peacock.

I do think he is isolated a little bit though. Prescott is developing into a good prop but is a bit injury prone. Coleys has improved but hes not better than average. Feka is unfit and an impact prop. So in reality he is out on his own.'"

Your last paragraph is largely true. He has at times been a lone-ranger in the front row. But when we signed Stu we expected to see a rampaging bull. We haven't seen anything like that since his first half-season. I still remember that first night he turned out for us - I think it was against Warrington. On the strength of that performance alone, I too thought we'd signed the best prop in the world.

I don't expect that, but I expect much more than him just to be a tackling machine. He was once a real brutal handful for the opposition - even the Australians found him difficult to control. To survive at this level of the game, he must make a determined effort to rediscover something like that kind of form.

It will be interesting to see what a new training regime - particularly a regime that is focussed on conditioning work and improving the weight and strength of its players - can do with him.

It may well be that Stu re-emerges closer to the beast he once was. But I suspect it's beyond any human's capability to make so vast an improvement that he can command a similar wage to the one he's on now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29622
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: - Neil - "This is Fieldens first proper pre season at the club due to surgery in previous seasons. Rumours I have heard is he has taken to the new training regime well and is in great shape.

I do think he is isolated a little bit though. Prescott is developing into a good prop but is a bit injury prone. Coleys has improved but hes not better than average. Feka is unfit and an impact prop. So in reality he is out on his own.'"

He's always been in great shape though. If the new set up can get some bulk on him whilst keeping him as fit as he's ever been they'll have done him a huge favour.

If we look at guys like Peacock and Morley they've put natural bulk on throughout their careers and are big blokes now yet when you look at Fielden nowadays he looks no bigger then he did when he first came into the Bradford side. One thing Noble spoke of was Fieldens unwillingness to let his fitness standards slip and put abit of weight on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2095No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

he will need to perform like before 2006 or be shown the door icon_confused.gif

158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.240234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
FORUM