JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Cruncher "So you're likening the appointment of a seasoned, very experienced, multiple trophy winning coach in Brian Noble to the appointment of a inexperienced, know-nothing, emotionally dysfunctional headcase like James Lowes?

Please don't tar Wigan with the Warrington brush of incompetence.

Things may not have worked out perfectly for Noble at Wigan, but at the time we signed him he was (and possibly still is) the best British born coach in rugby league. Lowes was a ludicrous cheap option who no SL club in their right mind would have gone for.

Honestly pal, if you genuinely believe what you wrote and weren't just trolling, you need need to go back to infant 1 and start your rugby league education all over again. I'd start by thinking less about what you and your mates wear on match-days and more about what's actually happening on the field.'"

As i understand it Lowes turned down the Wakefield job when they were on the verge of relegation so they gave the position to Kear!!! Bullet dodge of the centuary i think!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44075_1339364158.jpg
What's the rumpus, Tom? [quote="Pemps":1dso5atj]I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala". [/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="Wigan Peer":1dso5atj]I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:[/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="MattyB":1dso5atj]you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd. [/quote:1dso5atj] Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm To keep her from the howlin' winds.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44075.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "So you're likening the appointment of a seasoned, very experienced, multiple trophy winning coach in Brian Noble to the appointment of a inexperienced, know-nothing, emotionally dysfunctional headcase like James Lowes?

Please don't tar Wigan with the Warrington brush of incompetence.

Things may not have worked out perfectly for Noble at Wigan, but at the time we signed him he was (and possibly still is) the best British born coach in rugby league. Lowes was a ludicrous cheap option who no SL club in their right mind would have gone for.

Honestly pal, if you genuinely believe what you wrote and weren't just trolling, you need need to go back to infant 1 and start your rugby league education all over again. I'd start by thinking less about what you and your mates wear on match-days and more about what's actually happening on the field.'"

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach316No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

At the moment, we have seen Coley up his form in recent weeks, presumably to get another contract either here or with another club. Tim Smith seems to be doing the same to get a NRL contract. Phelps' upturn in form seems to fall into a similar category, but my impression is he wants to stay. If the story about Noble chasing a new contract is true, a cynic would say we seem to have several key figures who have underperformed (on the whole) in their time at Wigan all improving their performance whilst chasing new contracts.

That's fine in the short term; I'd love us to go on winning and push for honours this season. But I seriously question whether any of these individuals are the answer for the club in the long-term. If I were the owner, I'd be inclined to thank them very much (whether we win a final or not) and send them on their way.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: phibes "At the moment, we have seen Coley up his form in recent weeks, presumably to get another contract either here or with another club. Tim Smith seems to be doing the same to get a NRL contract. Phelps' upturn in form seems to fall into a similar category, but my impression is he wants to stay. If the story about Noble chasing a new contract is true, a cynic would say we seem to have several key figures who have underperformed (on the whole) in their time at Wigan all improving their performance whilst chasing new contracts.

That's fine in the short term; I'd love us to go on winning and push for honours this season. But I seriously question whether any of these individuals are the answer for the club in the long-term. If I were the owner, I'd be inclined to thank them very much (whether we win a final or not) and send them on their way.'"

Agreed, but its a very tough call, i do wonder if the contract situation of players and coaches has forced all there hands into action, especially the coaches to impliment change potentially earlier than they planned, we will be in a better position to judge this at the end of the season though when all the facts of the season are in, but certainly from the players point of view it is clear they are playing for a new deal either with us or elsewhere, which is very frustrating from a fans point of view in the case of players like Coley, Vaialeki, Higham etc.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: phibes "At the moment, we have seen Coley up his form in recent weeks, presumably to get another contract either here or with another club. Tim Smith seems to be doing the same to get a NRL contract. Phelps' upturn in form seems to fall into a similar category, but my impression is he wants to stay. If the story about Noble chasing a new contract is true, a cynic would say we seem to have several key figures who have underperformed (on the whole) in their time at Wigan all improving their performance whilst chasing new contracts.

That's fine in the short term; I'd love us to go on winning and push for honours this season. But I seriously question whether any of these individuals are the answer for the club in the long-term. If I were the owner, I'd be inclined to thank them very much (whether we win a final or not) and send them on their way.'"

It could also be that the people you name are being put under immense pressure to start performing, and have finally cracked.

Of course, if that's the case, it still doesn't say a lot for them - that as professionals they have to be threatened and cajoled into giving their best.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Cruncher "It could also be that the people you name are being put under immense pressure to start performing, and have finally cracked.

Of course, if that's the case, it still doesn't say a lot for them - that as professionals they have to be threatened and cajoled into giving their best.'"

It does make you wonder if the players who do this have any sence of professional pride at all, it is also usually the underachievers and drifters between several clubs throughout there career that fall into this category, which is clearly no coincidence.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Can't see Noble going mid-season unless we have a major downturn in results. Is Lam up to the job? Im not too sure. If Noble gets us to a final or wins one, do we still want him in charge next season?

Who do we get if Noble's contract isn't renewed - can't say i'm too keen on Justin Morgan tbh. Would rather have someone from the NRL with more experience.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: jonh "It does make you wonder if the players who do this have any sence of professional pride at all, it is also usually the underachievers and drifters between several clubs throughout there career that fall into this category, which is clearly no coincidence.'"

This whole idea of playing for a contract is based on the notion that any previous less good form was a deliberate act on the players or coaches part to take it easy and that they could have, at any time, played or coached like they are in the last year of their contract but just could not be bothered.

I think its a completely stupid notion myself and players like Coley and coaches like Noble have never wanted to be anything less than a success here. Sometimes players lose form and there is nothing sinister about it or them regaining it in the final year of their deal.

As I have said previously, I don't subscribe to this notion that players start playing well in their last season in the hope of a new contract. They must surely know a decision on their future will be made based on their form and worth to the club over the period of their time here. Same goes for Noble.

I would think decisions have already been made on the players who are out of contract (as shown by TL getting a new deal already) because you need to start working before now on identifying replacements if contract extensions are not to be offered. Same goes for Noble.

Likewise any potential new club would be mad to sign a player or coach based on his last seasons performance alone.

It's pointless exercise turning it on for the last season in the hope this is going to influence anything, the decisions will have already been made therefore I don't think the players or Noble are stupid enough to try it.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach316No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "It does make you wonder if the players who do this have any sence of professional pride at all, it is also usually the underachievers and drifters between several clubs throughout there career that fall into this category, which is clearly no coincidence.'"

That's why I'd rather let them go - it indicates poor attitude on behalf of these individuals. And that has been a problem at this club since the days when Mike Gregory was the coach. Coley, I think, is a prime example of this - as I remember Salford fans warning us when we first signed him.

As for the coach, if he manages to get the team playing consistently and win some silverware for the club, I accept that it would be difficult to make the case to get rid (though I think we should).

In any case, perhaps we're getting ahead of ourselves - we've only won 3 games on the bounce.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: DaveO "This whole idea of playing for a contract is based on the notion that any previous less good form was a deliberate act on the players or coaches part to take it easy and that they could have, at any time, played or coached like they are in the last year of their contract but just could not be bothered.

I think its a completely stupid notion myself and players like Coley and coaches like Noble have never wanted to be anything less than a success here. Sometimes players lose form and there is nothing sinister about it or them regaining it in the final year of their deal.

As I have said previously, I don't subscribe to this notion that players start playing well in their last season in the hope of a new contract. They must surely know a decision on their future will be made based on their form and worth to the club over the period of their time here. Same goes for Noble.

I would think decisions have already been made on the players who are out of contract (as shown by TL getting a new deal already) because you need to start working before now on identifying replacements if contract extensions are not to be offered. Same goes for Noble.

Likewise any potential new club would be mad to sign a player or coach based on his last seasons performance alone.

It's pointless exercise turning it on for the last season in the hope this is going to influence anything, the decisions will have already been made therefore I don't think the players or Noble are stupid enough to try it.

Dave'"

I think in some cases players are put in the picture early on in the year and it suddenly dawns on them they are playing for there future and this sees them really buckle down.

Regards only signing a player for a bit of form towards the end of his deal see Warringtons signing of Higham...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach101No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44841.jpg
There is a place in wigan, right next to Robin Park, where legends such as Farrell, and Radlinski made their mark. the boardroom's full of trophy's, its time we won some more, All the other teams know what we mean when they hear the Wigan roar.....:44841.jpg

Quote: Madderzahatter "Can't see Noble going mid-season unless we have a major downturn in results. Is Lam up to the job? Im not too sure. If Noble gets us to a final or wins one, do we still want him in charge next season?

Who do we get if Noble's contract isn't renewed - can't say i'm too keen on Justin Morgan tbh. Would rather have someone from the NRL with more experience.'"

Whats Ricky Stuart up to? I think he'd be a great club coach. Didn't really make the Ausies tick in the world cup but what a great pedigree throughout his carrer. He's been coached by the best, played with the best and beaten the best. i'd love him to come to Wigan.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Quote: big red warrior "Whats Ricky Stuart up to?'"
]

He's in charge of Cronulla who've lost their last seven games. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: jonh "I think in some cases players are put in the picture early on in the year and it suddenly dawns on them they are playing for there future and this sees them really buckle down.

Regards only signing a player for a bit of form towards the end of his deal see Warringtons signing of Higham...'"

Go on I'll bite. Higham is the perfect example of a player who got a new club because he was good value for his three years here. Anyone who thinks different doesn't know a thing about the game and yes, that includes you icon_wink.gif

Happy now?

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: DaveO "Go on I'll bite. Higham is the perfect example of a player who got a new club because he was good value for his three years here. Anyone who thinks different doesn't know a thing about the game and yes, that includes you
icon_lol.gif Yes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach316No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "This whole idea of playing for a contract is based on the notion that any previous less good form was a deliberate act on the players or coaches part to take it easy and that they could have, at any time, played or coached like they are in the last year of their contract but just could not be bothered.

Dave'"

Nobody said it was a premeditated strategy. I don't think for a second that anybody at the club want to be anything but a success. But lots of things can happen over a contract (individual form may dip, the team may not gel) that puts a coach or player in a difficult position when it comes to contract renewal.

Imagine you're a player or coach with a good rep who came to Wigan and is perceived to have not delivered. We've had more than a few, so you can take your pick. Of course you want to restore your rep and get a new contract (here or elsewhere), that's what gives additional incentive to improve. The person digs deep so they can restore the reputation they once had.

If Noble takes to us a final this year, people won't be saying 'Noble only really coached in the last four months of his contract' - they'll say 'Noble showed his class at Bradford and he took his time, but in the end, he came through for Wigan.' That's why he'd get another contract and that's why underperforming professionals tends to focus around contract renewal time.

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.74365234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours and signings v9
Fantastic Mr
3m
Rumours thread
Wollo-Wollo-
4m