JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "You were saying earlier in the thread that the players we had at the time were far fitter than anyone else out there. I would agree, AT THAT TIME!

Now without going into the "We were the only FT Team argument!" How do you KNOW that we were Far fitter than the other teams?
What were the reasons we were far fitter? I.E did we take a massive Jump on all the other clubs at that time? A jump that took teams almost 10 x years to catch up.
We were winning things and hardly anyone else could finance this level of investment etc etc etc.
It was self perpetuating and we took it to the maximum.

HOWEVER

It is without a Shadow of a doubt that "All the Players" and "All the Teams" are now vastly fitter & Superior in tactical awareness and Fitness compared to 15 years ago!

Whether they are "Better" is a different argument and one which, when we discuss the merits of the SC/CC I would gladly aqrgue that all things currently aren't rosy.

HOWEVER

Feka for example is a product of the modern game and the Rules and strategies of that game.
If we could only have 2 x subs & 4 x interchanges he would drastically have to change his game, but it isn't, so there is a roll for him in his current format.
Could he be fitter? Could he be slimmer?
I would ask you, How do you know, the answers to these questions without access to training schedules,results etc?
Or is it Just an OPINION?

You brought Riddell into the argument, I know that he he is not 1 ounce over the playing weight set for him by the club and to what he has been playing within for the last 5 years in the NRL.
Are you telling me the coaches of the 2 x clubs in the NRL don't know what they're doing either?

The game has changed and "Competitiveness" seems to be the buzz word instead of "Excellence".

To manufacture that Competitiveness there are a lit of restrictions and regulations brought on all clubs that mean Quick change isn't possible always.
If we don't get reults immediately some times it is better to be patient and invest in systems & Processes rather than chop & change and look for success purely on a player recruitment basis.

Now you also failed to mention that i put in the sentance "In Comparison".

This is the key, Is Piggy as fit as Nicky Kiss/Martin Dermott was?

Was Kelvin Skerrett fitter than Feka?

I would say they both meet the required standards "Comparitively" for their positions and the situations they find themselves in within the current rules of the game.

But I would also say it helped our players in the the ealry 90's that we were so far ahead of everyone else it often seemed like our players were superhuman!
They were'nt, the club found a way of leaping forward in front of other clubs and the players etc took advantage of that.

Yes there are new ways of training/improving fitnees that "May" help us to take the next step forward.

But I will ask again, show me proof or facts that we are doing something poorly OR that the next man in will definatley have improved effects and will 100% work and I will be prepared to listen.
Because you know what, they may also FAIL.

Other than that, it's opinion, and that's where I disagree with most of the Anti Noble posters.
They pick on his failings, of which there are undoubtably some as with any coach, and then word it that if "XY&Z" happened we would defianatley be in a better state. That may or may not be true, only time will tell, but please don't sour EVERYTHING than BN has done to try & prove a point that he isn't the man to take us forward when it is obvious that he has done Many Good things for this club and his tenure has seen far more positives than Negatives!'"

That's an extremely lengthy reply but I'm not sure you've answered the question.

Are you saying that every member of the current side is fitter than every member of say the team that beat Brisbane on their own ground to win the WCC?

If you are - and frankly that would be an astonishing statement - then I'm sure anyone reading this thread will be able to draw the appropriate conclusion about your argument.

If you are saying that it is only my opinion that Feka is overweight the question is whether or not you share that opinion. I would have thought that given the obvious nature of his excess weight it would not be a controversial opinion but would be an accepted conclusion to draw from the evidence.

If you do share this opinion then it begs the question as to how Feka can be fitter than every member of the mid-90s Wigan side, none of whom were carrying excess baggage from what I remember, but were all very fit full-time professional RL players.

If you don't think he is overweight then please say so and again anyone reading this thread will be able to draw their own conclusions.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: AJ "This is what is causing alot of the problem, the mindless few who cannot see anything positive in anything Noble has done.'"

Yet another insult, but just who are the mindless few you are talking about?

Have any "Noble doubters" said he has done nothing positive? The consensus on this side of the argument is that Noble has done a good job but with some shortcomings and that all things considered he isn't the right man to take the club to the next level. No-one as far as I am aware has said he's a rubbish coach who has not done anything positive for the club. That would be "mindless" but no-one is saying that! It is wrong to paint the Noble doubters as saying this kind of rubbish; it seems to me that this allegation is just a way of trying to avoid having to address the serious points about preparation, conditioning, pre-season work, team selection and consistency throughout the season that Noble doubters are making.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7767
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Deano G "That's an extremely lengthy reply but I'm not sure you've answered the question.

Are you saying that every member of the current side is fitter than every member of say the team that beat Brisbane on their own ground to win the WCC?

If you are - and frankly that would be an astonishing statement - then I'm sure anyone reading this thread will be able to draw the appropriate conclusion about your argument.

If you are saying that it is only my opinion that Feka is overweight the question is whether or not you share that opinion. I would have thought that given the obvious nature of his excess weight it would not be a controversial opinion but would be an accepted conclusion to draw from the evidence.

If you do share this opinion then it begs the question as to how Feka can be fitter than every member of the mid-90s Wigan side, none of whom were carrying excess baggage from what I remember, but were all very fit full-time professional RL players.

If you don't think he is overweight then please say so and again anyone reading this thread will be able to draw their own conclusions.'"

And I asked you a few questions which you didn't seem to want to answer.

Do I think feka is Over weight?
Overweight as a person?
Overweight for a Winger?
Overweight for a 70 min prop?
Overweight for a 35/40 min a game impact Prop?

If it's the last then I would say this, I, JUST LIKE YOU, don't know what is weight is, whether being a stone slimmer or a stone heavier would improve him or make him worse OR if in fact he is playing on or around his optimum weight for the job he does!
But I'll tell you this, I wouldn't swap him for any other Prop in this country who does a similar job.

Do you have any facts to shed on this????

PS

For the 3rd time I will say it again. The players we have at the club are comparitively (Position for position) as fit if not fitter than the early to mid 90's!

However the standards of the the other players both in this country & in the NRL are also vastly superior to what they were until we have a stalemate now where NO CLUB as unfit players nd the gap in fitness between the winners and Mid table teams you could bet is miniscule "In Comparison" to the Gap between Wigan & the rest in the late 80's early/mid 90's.

99% of all players in SL now are comaparable to the players of the early to mid 90's.

It doesn't make them as good as them but I would like a nice wager that if you took strength/speed/endurance etc tests on today's players at ANY CLUB they would comapre favourably to those of 15/20 years ago!

Might be a good question to ask jonh?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "And I asked you a few questions which you didn't seem to want to answer.

Do I think feka is Over weight?
Overweight as a person?
Overweight for a Winger?
Overweight for a 70 min prop?
Overweight for a 35/40 min a game impact Prop?

If it's the last then I would say this, I, JUST LIKE YOU, don't know what is weight is, whether being a stone slimmer or a stone heavier would improve him or make him worse OR if in fact he is playing on or around his optimum weight for the job he does!
But I'll tell you this, I wouldn't swap him for any other Prop in this country who does a similar job.

Do you have any facts to shed on this????

PS

For the 3rd time I will say it again. The players we have at the club are comparitively (Position for position) as fit if not fitter than the early to mid 90's!

However the standards of the the other players both in this country & in the NRL are also vastly superior to what they were until we have a stalemate now where NO CLUB as unfit players nd the gap in fitness between the winners and Mid table teams you could bet is miniscule "In Comparison" to the Gap between Wigan & the rest in the late 80's early/mid 90's.

99% of all players in SL now are comaparable to the players of the early to mid 90's.

It doesn't make them as good as them but I would like a nice wager that if you took strength/speed/endurance etc tests on today's players at ANY CLUB they would comapre favourably to those of 15/20 years ago!

Might be a good question to ask jonh?'"

You're now asking yourself questions rather than answering the simple question of whether Feka is overweight. He is. If he were fitter he would be more effective. He is less fit than any member of the mid 90s team.

I would seriously doubt whether there is any difference in the fitness of the early-mid 90s sides compared with the current team. From '91 or '92 (I think) the team were entirely full time pro'. Players like Edwards, Clarke, Connolly, Platt etc were at least as fit as their current equivalents. What we didn't have then though was overweight players like Feka and Riddell, both of whom would not have been allowed to be fat back when Wigan's standards were higher. Feka's fatigue and resulting lack of mobility has been exposed this season at times. He could play for longer periods if he were fitter and I use the example of Inga because he lost none of his devastating power as a runner when he lost weight. If anything the increased speed and muscle bulk added to his ability to smash through opposition defences. So yes, Feka is not as fit as he could be, whether that is a general observation or by reference to his position or role within the team.

In any event the question is not whether or not the team is fitter than it was 15 years ago but whether it is as fit as it could be.... you still haven't addressed the question of whether or not improvements can be made in this area....

But please, carry on ignoring the issues and asking yourself questions. icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2651No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons5b08_files/4206-1575glibber-msnicons.jpg
:icons5b08_files/4206-1575glibber-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Red Hot Jalapeno "But we didnt lose one more and we didnt lose half of our games so your point is what?

What should we do next year if we only win say 16 and lose 11? Should we sack the new coach just because if we had lost another game his record would be the same as Nobles?'"

My point is that we almost lost half our games (44%). I wasn't the poster who said that we had lost half our games. The main point is that this is not good enough for Wigan. We will win more than 16 games next year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14880.jpg
[url]//wiganrugbyleague.wordpress.com[/url]:14880.jpg

It does seem surprising that Noble's Wigan sides always seem so inconsistent throughout the season up to the tail end of seasons/ play-off's.

Perhaps this is a Noble tactic? If it is and we win the GF I reckon a few of the "Pro-Noble" supporters will say it's a good tactic to employ, to hit form when it matters.

Perhaps then the criticism of Noble should be aimed more at the concept of the play-off's if, indeed, Noble purposely focuses only on the end of the season as that's all that matters and Noble is simply playing the league as he feels is the best way to achieve perceived success.

For fans who follow week in, week out this is much to our chagrin but is it because in all honesty the league is irrelevant?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Renegade "It does seem surprising that Noble's Wigan sides always seem so inconsistent throughout the season up to the tail end of seasons/ play-off's.

Perhaps this is a Noble tactic? If it is and we win the GF I reckon a few of the "Pro-Noble" supporters will say it's a good tactic to employ, to hit form when it matters.

Perhaps then the criticism of Noble should be aimed more at the concept of the play-off's if, indeed, Noble purposely focuses only on the end of the season as that's all that matters and Noble is simply playing the league as he feels is the best way to achieve perceived success.

For fans who follow week in, week out this is much to our chagrin but is it because in all honesty the league is irrelevant?'"

The league wasn't irrelevant last season, or the season before, and it was a similar tale on both those occasions.

Anyway, I've had enough of this now. No more Noble chat from me until after this weekend's game. With luck I may be even more in the minority.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach396No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35760_1643651369.jpg
[quote="Rogues Gallery"]I'm with LondonRobster on this.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35760.jpg

Quote: Deano G "You're now asking yourself questions rather than answering the simple question of whether Feka is overweight. He is. If he were fitter he would be more effective. He is less fit than any member of the mid 90s team.

I would seriously doubt whether there is any difference in the fitness of the early-mid 90s sides compared with the current team. From '91 or '92 (I think) the team were entirely full time pro'. Players like Edwards, Clarke, Connolly, Platt etc were at least as fit as their current equivalents. What we didn't have then though was overweight players like Feka and Riddell, both of whom would not have been allowed to be fat back when Wigan's standards were higher. Feka's fatigue and resulting lack of mobility has been exposed this season at times. He could play for longer periods if he were fitter and I use the example of Inga because he lost none of his devastating power as a runner when he lost weight. If anything the increased speed and muscle bulk added to his ability to smash through opposition defences. So yes, Feka is not as fit as he could be, whether that is a general observation or by reference to his position or role within the team.

In any event the question is not whether or not the team is fitter than it was 15 years ago but whether it is as fit as it could be.... you still haven't addressed the question of whether or not improvements can be made in this area....

But please, carry on ignoring the issues and asking yourself questions.
Just picking out the Feka debate, If you want to let Feka do what he did on Saturday then he is conditioned in the right way, however if you want him to last 60 mins a game he will lose weight to do this and need to be 'fitter' however you will have lost the very thing Feka was employed for. In his defence as well he now does more game time than he used to, so we have got him fitter than when he arrived. Against Castleford he came on at 20 mins and lasted to half time, did the first 5 mins after the break and came back on with 10 to go making 35 mins.

As Jukesays has put it he is sorted for what we want, we could slim him down but the coaching staff think he is most effective doing what he does.

It's not a case of just being fit, it is a case of having the correct team/squad to win and and having a 19 stone barrell of a man that breaks tackles all over the place is something Wigan want and I believe need.

Leeds have Ali, Stains have Maureen., Shudders have Crabtree and they all do the game time of Feka, so is he as fit as them?

As for overall fitness from 15-20 years ago......it's a different game played in a different way and therefore the players who do certain roles are conditioned in different way.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The whole debate is getting quite tiring now don't you think?

My personal take is that whatever happens in the remaining game(s), i'll thank Brian for what he's done for the club, wish him all the success in the future, and get behind whoever it is that takes over from him. I think there's not many more down to earth hard working guys around, and whether you feel he's succeeded, failed, or somewhere in between, i definitely think he did the best job he could.

Might be time for all of us to put it behind us, and look forward to the future.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Renegade "It does seem surprising that Noble's Wigan sides always seem so inconsistent throughout the season up to the tail end of seasons/ play-off's.

For fans who follow week in, week out this is much to our chagrin but is it because in all honesty the league is irrelevant?'"

Are you the Real Radio Renegade? icon_lol.gif

It's all well and good saying that Noble has his tactics spot on but his tactics need to be to finish as high up in the league as possible to give ourselves the best chance of going to OT and winning there.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "Noble could only switch them as there was no one in the reserves to replace them with at full back, hence Ainscough was brought in on the wing.'"

In which case I don't see your point. We know he switched players because his f/b was suspended I don't see what this has got to do with dropping out of form players.

Quote: Father Ted "We weren't rubbish v HKR and playing Sam T in that game would have been wrong. The last 20 mins of the first half was the roughest, toughest I've seen in years. It was knock ons from both sides due to the torrential rain and poor pitch condition.
'"

Why would it have been wrong? So what if it going to be rough? What has the rain got to do with it? In order to justify this stance at the time Nobby would have had to have had a crystal ball and as it happened we looked flat and devoid of ideas. If it was wrong to play him them why will he be in the team v Saints and if we win v Leeds? These games will be the more intense than that.

Quote: Father Ted "Just because I see things differently to you Dave does not mean I'm blind. He dropped Ainscough after the Easter weekend and errors on the touchline in both the Saints and Catalans games. '"

Then why not drop other players for similar or worse mistakes? In any case if that is why he dropped that is pretty appalling IMO as it makes no allowances at all for his inexperience yet at the same time mistakes by more experienced players go unpunished. If you are right in why he was dropped you have highlighted how he treats the younger players compared to the senior players.

Quote: Father Ted "I started a thread on here suggesting Ainscough might be dropped as Noble did the same the previous season when Calderwood dropped a high ball v Catalans from which they scored the winning try. According to friends who went to Celtic Ainscough had a nightmare game there. His time will come as he's the most devastating try scoring winger in the game. '"

So why did he not drop Phelps for waiting for a ball to roll dead and letting the opposition touch down between his legs? Or why not Roberts who has had several games where he has been at least as defensively suspect as Ainscough? What about Feka or Riddell who look unfit? You can't argue the young players got dropped for mistakes when the senior players make the same mistakes and keep their places. It's double standards from Noble.

Quote: Father Ted "Yes ok go with three props and a front row as light and under powered as ours will get blown away. Send out three props and look at the oppositions team sheet and you'll find they're going with five. Bye bye two points! We did that v Wakey a few years ago. Only 3 props due to injuries and Tony Smith fielded five, a home banker turned into two points for Wakey.'"

As I said he was able to drop Coley and had opportunities to drop other props before O'Carroll got injured. Regardless of form he didn't.

Quote: Father Ted "Of course he's achieved improvement. He's taken us from a relegation team to a semi finals team. '"

That is the most over used cliche in the whole debate. We didn't actually get relegated. We finished just outside the playoffs in 2006 in 8th place having been docked two points for salary cap breaches which would have seen us 7th. If you consider going from 8th to 6th in three years worthwhile progress losing 11 or 12 games a season you are easily pleased.

Quote: Father Ted "To take us up another level to a final winning team we need quality signings and everyone including our chairman knows this. As for dropping out of form players, there are other threads discussing whether Noble should drop Joel T or Flanagan as both are not at the top of their game. Neither are but who will he bring in? Mossop and who? Into a play off semi final? The answer is no one after Mossop and he'd start to struggle after 15 mins.'"

That has not been the situation all season and you know it. Nor was it been the situation in 2007 and 2008 and yo know that too.

Quote: Father Ted "We have the best reserves and youth set up in the game but bringing lads out of the reserves into the first team is a massive jump. The gap is so wide it is doubtful it can be bridged under the current RFL/SL rules. This is why our lads are going out on loan. Mossop and Flanagan have benefited from this and are now gradually getting first team experience.'"

Where did Mossop end up on loan? Another SL side. The standard of NL1 is not SL and young players have been brought into SL sides by other teams and what is more to the point when Noble has no choice it has worked here at Wigan. The best two examples are the Tomkins brothers who got extended runs and made a go of it. I don't have a problem with players going out on loan but it isn't the only way to do things.

Quote: Father Ted "Any coach knows this and Anderson said whilst at Saints that younger players will give you a good game or two but then their performaces fade. This is the difficulty all coaches have and it's a major problem.
Brian Noble and the Wigan club are no exception.'"

It's not a major problem if you handle it right. There was no justifiable ( use the word deliberately) reason to drop Ainscough. What I expect to see is players picked on form and rewarded for good play.

With a few exceptions if a player comes in for an injured or suspended player then regardless of his age if he does well he should keep his place and the first team player should have to earn his place back. If the young player fades after a few games then he has lost his place for a reason not because he automatically gets dropped as soon as the 1st team player is fit.

The bottom line is we have a large squad at Wigan with no competition for places under Noble.

Dave

AJ
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1530.gif
:1530.gif

Quote: DaveO "With a few exceptions if a player comes in for an injured or suspended player then regardless of his age if he does well he should keep his place and the first team player should have to earn his place back. If the young player fades after a few games then he has lost his place for a reason not because he automatically gets dropped as soon as the 1st team player is fit.'"

Thats what happens at every club in the league and in most cases every club in sport. Its not a Noble thing, its a sports management thing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg

Quote: LondonRobster "Just picking out the Feka debate, If you want to let Feka do what he did on Saturday then he is conditioned in the right way, however if you want him to last 60 mins a game he will lose weight to do this and need to be 'fitter' however you will have lost the very thing Feka was employed for. In his defence as well he now does more game time than he used to, so we have got him fitter than when he arrived. Against Castleford he came on at 20 mins and lasted to half time, did the first 5 mins after the break and came back on with 10 to go making 35 mins.

As Jukesays has put it he is sorted for what we want, we could slim him down but the coaching staff think he is most effective doing what he does.

It's not a case of just being fit, it is a case of having the correct team/squad to win and and having a 19 stone barrell of a man that breaks tackles all over the place is something Wigan want and I believe need.

Leeds have Ali, Stains have Maureen., Shudders have Crabtree and they all do the game time of Feka, so is he as fit as them?

As for overall fitness from 15-20 years ago......it's a different game played in a different way and therefore the players who do certain roles are conditioned in different way.'"

IF we have got him fitter than when he arrived, without apparently harming his ability to smash through defences then why not see if we can get him a bit fitter?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach71No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45889.jpg
:45889.jpg

Here my attempt at a potted history since BN came to the club and my views on what has been good and bad. I’ll admit that these are not all facts (some of them are) and some are my opinion. It’s just me trying to get a balanced view so I can come to a conclusion on whether he should stay or go.

1. When he arrived we were completely in the mire and looking a dead cert for relegation
2. A couple of players arrived after his appointment
3. We escaped relegation after a miraculous recovery in form
4. Started 2007 quite poorly losing 3 out of the first 4 league games
5. We were inconsistent in the middle part of the season
6. Had a shocking Cup Semi against Catalans
7. Won 4 drew 1 of our last 5 league games
8. Excellent play off until ran out of petrol at Leeds
9. Started 2008 slightly better losing 3 out of first 6 league games
10. Couldn’t manage to string a decent run of wins throughout the season, even at the end
11. Another excellent play off, running out of steam again at Leeds
12. Awful start to 2009 losing 7 out of first 10 league games
13. Decent cup run until another poor Semi
14. Excellent end of season winning 8 out of 10 league games
15. Excellent play off so far

Upside and mitigating factorsDownside:
Start of the season seems to come as a surprise
Too much inconsistency
Too many players apparently not reaching their potential
Too many absolutely awful performances
Poor player discipline
Lack of moves/coherent play
Little evidence of plan B
Team out enthused too often
Little progress made with the first team
Puzzling team selections

I think there has been good and bad, with escaping relegation and the excellence of the junior teams being the main upsides, but these have been outweighed by the downsides. We have also put in some stunning performances, which is a two edged sword in that you could ask why we couldn’t do that more often. That question is the main reason I think Brian should go. He certainly has stabilised the club, and being in the lower reaches of the league, (at season’s end at least) looks to now be in the past. However, we seem to be lacking that little bit of extra something to take us to the next level. I don’t know what that is, but to me it is becoming apparent that Brian, despite the immense amount of work he puts in, doesn’t either. I’m sure that this squad, with only a little strengthening is capable of reaching higher.

So Brian thanks for your efforts, I’ll always be grateful for getting us out of the mire and putting us on an even keel. You have been the longest serving coach at the club for some time and I think the club is in better shape than when you came. However, I think the time has come for us to part, I think the club and you will benefit from fresh starts. Even though there have been no trophies at first team level, IMO you can leave with your head held high with the good wishes and applause of the vast majority of Wigan fans ringing in your ears.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Thank god Noble won't be here next year, Long has just revealed on BBC Manc that he was offered a contract by us but turned it down because he didn't know who the coach would be next year. Dodged a bullet there.

277 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
277 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.35400390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
31s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
32s
Salford H Moved to Thursday
NickyKiss
37s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
43s
Film game
karetaker
44s
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
54s
Toulouse away
faxcar
1m
Playoff Semi Final
NickyKiss
1m
Salford H
Roam Ranger
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Playoff Semi Final
NickyKiss
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Hasbag
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
CarlB
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
Rixy
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside York Knights Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Old FC when we knew how to play rugby
mk_fc
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Home
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Dons v Widnes - Sunday 15 September 2024
Kick and cha
TODAY
Catalans Keep Season Alive With Victory Over The Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
A new low
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And Send Hull FC Bottom
RLFANS News
TODAY
Points difference
orangeman
TODAY
Toulouse away
faxcar
TODAY
Todays game v Giants
Barbed Wire
TODAY
Staying or Not
fanstanningl
TODAY
Salford H Moved to Thursday
NickyKiss
TODAY
North Stand
NickyKiss
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,023 80,11914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Thu 19th Sep
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Salford
 Fri 20th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 Sat 21st Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 19th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Salford
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
SL 26 St.Helens40-4Castleford
SL 26 Wigan38-0Leeds
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 26 657 336 321 42
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 26 550 483 67 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 26 434 648 -214 18
Castleford 26 415 701 -286 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20