International Board Member20418
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3rwwi1cz][color=#800000:3rwwi1cz]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:3rwwi1cz][/b:3rwwi1cz]:

Pryce will not be at Wigan in 2011.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: thepriestman85 "This is the exact same type of post that keeps popping up regards Ainscough.

The kid has just scored 3 very good tries against a very good team. Not only that but he’s had another disallowed and was by far the most dangerous winger/back on the pitch making excellent yards on most of his kick returns but yet there are sly digs going in against him?

I actually think his kick on the last play was the right option as well and if he’d gone for the corner I’m sure there would also be other out there calling him greedy.

Again his attack far out ways his occasional flaw in defence which some on here go way OTT about.

Show me another 20 year old winger who can do what he can'"

Totally agree.

I don't get this talk about him not being good enough in defence and for every 2 or 3 trys he scores he'll let one in..............so what! He's young and inexperienced and will improve with gametime in the first team(wheather it be at Wigan or Cas). If somebody said to me 'he's going to score 3 trys a game but be at fault for one at the other end' would you take it? I'd bite their hand off especially when you consider he can iron out these flaws in time.

Whats his superleague first team record now? Something along the lines of 22 trys and 14 games(in all comps)?

I'm in total agreement with the people that say at the minute there isn't a way into our side when everybody is fit but what a player to have waiting in the wings! I just wish all our fans would back him instead on constantly picking out flaws.

I just hope we can keep him happy with these loan spells in a similar way to how Saints have with Scott Moore. It may be a few months or it may be a couple of years before this lad can find a spot in the team at Wigan but to lose him would be an awful blow.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: MadDogg "This is a huge problem for Wigan - some may say it is a nice problem but a problem it is.

I have constantly championed Phelps on these forums - in my opinion he will be the top fullback in Super League in 1-2 years. I believe it would be a disasterous decision to release him.

That being said, the talent of Ainscough is clear to everyone and who from Super League would you swap for Richards or Roberts at the moment?

Quite frankly I don't want any of the four to go anywhere and I want all of them in the side. But this would seem impossible. The suggestion of Phelps at centre is a poor one - he is wasted there. Maybe a small possibility could be a move to halfback for Phelps but like many now I prefer Leuluai at 7, not 9.

I haven't a clue what the club will do about the situation over the next few years.'"

It's a tough situation isn't it but I suppose it's better to have these problems then having no options in the first place.

I'm like you a huge fan of Phelps in the fullback position and he could go on to be an absolute gem in the position but I actually think we may have to pull him out of that spot and put him at left centre if we're to keep Ainscough. We simply can't afford to lose him and if that means Phelps playing a season at centre I think we'd have to roll with that. He could then be moved back to fullback when one of Roberts or Richards moves on.

It isn't ideal moving Phelps out of that fullback position though.

Another option would be to put Roberts at centre. He's played there in the past and would obviously bring a huge attacking threat from there but the question would have to be asked if his defence would be upto it.

Theres some thinking for Maguire to do over the next few months but one thing is for sure we have an embarrasment of riches in the outside back positions at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2890No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36332_1309197819.png
Wigan Warriors RLFC. Ancient and Loyal.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36332.png

Natural finisher, and who knows how many he might have scored on Friday for us? icon_lol.gif

But in all seriousness, let him stay at Cas til the end of season barring any major injuries to our backline of Phelps, Richards and Amos and then bring him back for next season and let him fight for a place in the back 3.

Afterall, you cannot leave a player out with a try record like that for too long before he wants to leave the club and joins one of our rivals on a permanent deal.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "

I'm in total agreement with the people that say at the minute there isn't a way into our side when everybody is fit but what a player to have waiting in the wings! '"

There are several ways in IMO. One is by squad rotation. Even in the backs I think if we carry on playing this really hard physical game we have started the season off with then if we stick with the first 17 barring injury or suspension (as Noble would have done) they will run out of steam by the end of the competition.

On Mike's board there is one well connected poster who insists Feka was not dropped but rotated and he will be back in v Bradford (so that will be interesting to see). I also think under a different coach HH's minor shoulder problem may have seen him selected with a pain killing injection.

I think we will see players come in for uninjured players r [layers with minor knocks like HH over the course of the season in a way we have not been used to seeing.

There is also another possibility and this is Roberts form on the wing drops off or Aincough "does an O'Carroll" and rips it up in training so he simply deserves a run out in the first team. The way some people seem to be posting Roberts place in the team is sacrosanct. I thought we were pleased we had ditched a coach who took that sort of view for one that ran a meritocracy?

I also don't like the idea of a season long lone for Ainscough for two reasons. First he will score a bag full of ties for one our rival teams and even if it is against our other rivals it will help Cas up the table. More importantly it sends the wrong message to Ainscough who might start to believe mischievous journalists that he doesn't have a future at the club.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: DaveO "There is. It's by squad rotation. Even in the backs I think if we carry on playing this really hard physical game we have started the season off with then if we stick with the first 17 barring injury or suspension they will run out of steam by the end of the competition.

On Mike's board there is one well connected poster who insists Feka was not dropped but rotated and he will be back in v Bradford (so that will be interesting to see). I also think under a different coach HH's minor shoulder problem may have seen him selected with a pain killing injection.

I think we will see players come in for uninjured players over the course of the season such as McIllorum coming in for Deacon perhaps and currently if Aincough were not on-loan I'd have him in the side over Goulding anyway.

Dave'"

I get your point but even squad rotation isn't going to get Ainscough enough games imo to make calling him back from Cas(well not extending his loan) worthwhile.

He needs to play every week imo because he's a special talent. It just so happens we have 2 wingers who are even better then him already at the club but his time will come. I hope we keep him at Cas unless somebody picks up an injury and let him develope there. He will play every week and be able to work on his minor flaws.

He's in the best place at this minute in time but hopefully we can sort him out a spot intime for next season.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "He's in the best place at this minute in time but hopefully we can sort him out a spot intime for next season.'"

I agree with this. Ainscough will be getting good SL experience under a good coach at Cas.

I personally think it is looking increasingly obvious that two of his team mates fighting for the same position (Goulding and Pryce) won't be here next season and that if he works on his concrete feet in defence he'll be in the 19 next season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: Wigan/Leeds Andy "I agree with this. Ainscough will be getting good SL experience under a good coach at Cas.

I personally think it is looking increasingly obviously that two of his team mates fighting for the same position (Goulding and Pryce) won't be here next season and that if he works on his concrete feet in defence he'll be in the 19 next season.'"

He does look like having an automatic jump up of 2 places next year with Goulding and Pryce both not cracking any pots(fair play to Gouldings attitude by the way but he just doesn't look quite good enough) so that can be a comfort to him in his time at Cas.

I'd back him to get 20 trys for Cas this year and if he does that his confidence will be sky high. All Wigan need to do is to make sure they keep in regular contact with him and make him feel part of this club still and make sure he knows he has a future.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: NickyKiss "He does look like having an automatic jump up of 2 places next year with Goulding and Pryce both not cracking any pots(fair play to Gouldings attitude by the way but he just doesn't look quite good enough) so that can be a comfort to him in his time at Cas.

I'd back him to get 20 trys for Cas this year and if he does that his confidence will be sky high. All Wigan need to do is to make sure they keep in regular contact with him and make him feel part of this club still and make sure he knows he has a future.'"

I agree with that NK. Ainy just needs to be assured that he is a major part of our plans. He's only 20..it's not like it's 'now or never'!

I do feel the club (and in particular IL) are aware of this sort of thing though. IL has been a fan for as long, or longer, than just about anyone on this board and, as such, seems to have similar views. I'm confident he will no more want to lose Ainscough than any of us!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29616
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

On a side note about another loan player the majority of the Widnes fans have Liam Farrell down as man of the match of their site from yesterdays 72-10 win over Keighley.

He scored a try and was a constant menace down the flanks for them they said and got through tonnes of defence in his 80mins on the pitch.

Sounds very promsing and he again is a player thats in the right place. He's always available to be called back if needs be but for at least the next few months i'd expect to see him tearing it up at Widnes.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Wigan/Leeds Andy "I agree with this. Ainscough will be getting good SL experience under a good coach at Cas.

I personally think it is looking increasingly obvious that two of his team mates fighting for the same position (Goulding and Pryce) won't be here next season and that if he works on his concrete feet in defence he'll be in the 19 next season.'"

A friend (Wigan season ticket holder) rang me yesterday. I was praising Ainscough for his catching of the high balls and the way he took his tries, but was critical of his air shot and I believed he should have gone for the corner instead of kicking infield.

He made an astute observation which I had missed. He said "But did you notice that when he took those high balls he never actually got off the ground. Against a taller wingman he would have struggled."

I honestly hadn't noticed, did anyone else?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2687No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2010Oct 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12324.jpg
Best Wigan No7 ever [b]Terry Newton Wigan legend RIP[/b]:12324.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "A friend (Wigan season ticket holder) rang me yesterday. I was praising Ainscough for his catching of the high balls and the way he took his tries, but was critical of his air shot and I believed he should have gone for the corner instead of kicking infield.

He made an astute observation which I had missed. He said "But did you notice that when he took those high balls he never actually got off the ground. Against a taller wingman he would have struggled."

I honestly hadn't noticed, did anyone else?'"

Will watch it again later but i dont think he was under pressure of anyone so why risk jumping.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "A friend (Wigan season ticket holder) rang me yesterday. I was praising Ainscough for his catching of the high balls and the way he took his tries, but was critical of his air shot and I believed he should have gone for the corner instead of kicking infield.

I honestly hadn't noticed, did anyone else?'"

Yes I noticed hence the concrete feet remark - he never seems to get off the ground. I think part of it is that he always wants to catch the ball, when sometimes it might be better just to play safe, compete and knock the ball dead. It's his biggest area to work on for me but I think it should be easily remedied and doesn't mask the fact he's got that x-factor that means he'll score a lot of tries.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

I make no secret of being a big fan of Ainscough, and to be honest i think we'll probably end up losing him. He keeps getting passed on from club to club and scoring loads of tries wherever he goes, I bet he'd get a run at most other top SL clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "I make no secret of being a big fan of Ainscough, and to be honest i think we'll probably end up losing him. He keeps getting passed on from club to club and scoring loads of tries wherever he goes, I bet he'd get a run at most other top SL clubs.'"

Then seriously you're letting your like get carried away. He's a great talent, but the last thing the lad needs is for people to start telling him he's a total superstar. I couldn't see him getting a start at Leeds, Saints maybe (but's thats because they're not exactly blessed in this spot).

What you should be looking at is would he get the run you're talking about at a club with 2 wingers of the quality and form of Pat Richards and Amos Roberts infront of him?

And tbh if he decides he's got to go, then the only place he's going to walk into is somewhere with available salary cap - of which I don't think there's any of the top clubs unless some come off contract soon. So is he going to walk away to play first team at Salford or Quins?

Don't look for problems where I suspect there aren't any, I'm sure IL/MM/SW along with Rads are managing the situation carefully.

270 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
270 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.052734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Staying or Not
Les Norton
16m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
27m