JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Stu M "It's a difficult one as the physical differences in RL compared to football is a big factor. The likes of Giggs/Foden/Palmer all came through as skinny lads (or in Foden's case small) but their lack of physicality wasn't as important.

Everyone in RL knew Nsemba was going to be special and I posted on here two years ago after watching Farrimond play against Saints in an U16 Scholars game to say that he looks a once in a generational talent. However that leads me onto the answer to your question- in that same game Harry Robertson played for us and was also outstanding. Him and Farrimond were the best two players on the pitch.

I've seen Robertson a few times to know he will come through but when is the issue, he's tall but still looks gangly and if he played first team could easily get swatted aside. He has a gait similar to Ponga and switches between 1 and 6.

The two half backs George Whitby and Will Roberts are highly rated but Roberts is just back from a 12 month ACL. I saw the highlights from Cas last week and Robertson and Whitby ran the show, literally everything went through them. I would think that these two are the next "cabs off the rank" so to speak. I believe the plan is for Whitby to train full time from July after his studies are finished.

The other one who has come through and has a first team number this season is Noah Stephens. He's a giant of a lad and made his debut at Cas in the game where Makinson was sent off. He had a great cameo however its hard to judge in a game where we were so dominant. He does have the physical size though and was literally a man against boys when he played at Academy level. I know Zig has some reservations about him.

The other one I mentioned earlier- Owen Dagnall plays on the wing and played for Lancashire and England Academy scoring a few tries. He looks quick and knows where the line is.

We'll need some good lads coming through as unfortunately for us Wigan look very strong. I turned off after 20 mins on Saturday and went to the gym even in the heat we had
I’ve no doubt that some of the lads you have named Stu will make the grade but they need some experienced bodies around them and, more often than not, they need drip feeding into the team. Regarding Stephens, I do have some reservations but he could easily prove me wrong but it all depends on whether he is too dependent on his size.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5479
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

What are your reservations regarding Stephens Zig?

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Stu M "Yeah I agree. I don't think we will have 4-5 that will be playing first team next year at the same time. The successes we've had has been when they have been drip-fed into the first team. Welsby was a good example of this and how he had more appearances each season in different positions. Dodd was used cleverly by Woolf when he came through, he got 10-15 mins a game at 9 to get him up to speed to SL and tackling the bigger bodies in the middle.

If someone gave me £100 to make a charity bet with I'd say Robertson and Vaughan would be my two bankers. This isn't counting Stephens who has already made his debut and in the 21 man squad most weeks.

To be fair to Wigan though- the likes of Eckersely and Forber are mentioned a lot and rated highly so I don't think anyone from Saints is being held up the same as Farrimond.'"

Woolf followed the model Wigan used with regard to Williams. Personally, I would give every prospective half back a run at hooker to toughen them up and improve their defensive technique.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1200
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "3 seems more realistic, at least historically. You've just brought up an interesting point though. Eckersley and Forbar are a couple years ahead of Farrimond so I don't really think of them as the same generation. Both are more "first team ready and waiting for their opportunity" so to speak. Is this the same for the Saints lads? What is the age spread?'"

Vaughan is 19. Robertson and Whitby are 17/18. I checked for their ages on the club site but none given, I'm basing this on the fact they both played for the Scholars in 2022.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1200
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Zig "Woolf followed the model Wigan used with regard to Williams. Personally, I would give every prospective half back a run at hooker to toughen them up and improve their defensive technique.'"

Yeah good shout, I remember that Wigan did that with Williams.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Stu M "Vaughan is 19. Robertson and Whitby are 17/18. I checked for their ages on the club site but none given, I'm basing this on the fact they both played for the Scholars in 2022.'"

It aggravates me that such information is not posted on the websites of the clubs after all, we are not asking for a bank account or their rate of pay.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "What are your reservations regarding Stephens Zig?'"

I am not sure that he is mobile enough or that his size will be a major asset when playing first team. He reminds me of Samy Kibula. Obviously, the lad may prove me wrong. Good luck to him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5479
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Zig "I am not sure that he is mobile enough or that his size will be a major asset when playing first team. He reminds me of Samy Kibula. Obviously, the lad may prove me wrong. Good luck to him.'"

That's often the problem when a player is stepping up from a level where they have obvious physical advantages. I suppose it depends to a large degree on attitude. I think Junior is showing that at the moment. I haven't seen Stephens play so can't comment on him individually but I think that goes for most young players regardless of size. Attitude is everything.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3839
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60223_1310112970.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60223.jpg

Quote: Zig "I am not sure that he is mobile enough or that his size will be a major asset when playing first team. He reminds me of Samy Kibula. Obviously, the lad may prove me wrong. Good luck to him.'"

That’s interesting about his mobility because in this article Derek Traynor, who knows him better than anyone, talks about this speed being a strength of his. Admittedly I’ve only seen him at Castleford the other week but he certainly looked like he could move a bit for a big lad too.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ne ... -st-helens

Now you’ve probably seen much more of him than I have but he doesn’t sound like there’s any concerns internally about his mobility.

That’s interesting about his mobility because in this article Derek Traynor, who knows him better than anyone, talks about this speed being a strength of his. Admittedly I’ve only seen him at Castleford the other week but he certainly looked like he could move a bit for a big lad too.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ne ... -st-helens

Now you’ve probably seen much more of him than I have but he doesn’t sound like there’s any concerns internally about his mobility.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "That’s interesting about his mobility because in this article Derek Traynor, who knows him better than anyone, talks about this speed being a strength of his. Admittedly I’ve only seen him at Castleford the other week but he certainly looked like he could move a bit for a big lad too.

Mobility and speed are two different things in my book. But hey I am happy to be proved wrong, time will tell. However, I think it is always dangerous to big young lads up, the expectation can become overwhelming.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29681
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I’ve seen Stephen’s once against Wigans academy and we couldn’t deal with him tbh. Will that translate to the first team? Who knows but it’s not going to give him any less of a chance having that sort of physical presence.

What I will say though is that big lads have dominated at academy level before and not been able to translate it to first team rugby. The most devastating academy performances I can recall were from Ryan Bailey at Leeds and he never managed it. I’m not saying he had a bad career, far from it but he was killing teams at that level, going over, through or round players for fun but in the first team he ended up making a career more as a grafter and wind up merchant.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5479
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

I found this interesting from the Academy coach in relation to what we've been discussing.

“Whether they all go on and reach that potential remains to be seen, But I believe this current crop of young players is as good as we’ve ever had.”

That seems a lot more nuanced and balanced than what Rush has said or what some fans seem to think is an almost foregone conclusion that they will come through and succeed at this level.

SFW
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3297_1665058009.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3297.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "I found this interesting from the Academy coach in relation to what we've been discussing.

“Whether they all go on and reach that potential remains to be seen, But I believe this current crop of young players is as good as we’ve ever had.”

That seems a lot more nuanced and balanced than what Rush has said or what some fans seem to think is an almost foregone conclusion that they will come through and succeed at this level.'"

I think there's been a lot of outside noise about this crop of players (Stu has named them all) that won't be beneficial to them. The club have previous in getting these transitions right though, and you can see already the likes of Stephens and Vaughan (the two most physically ready) in and around first team environments. Saints have some work to do to successfully integrate them all and the hype around them won't help but it will be an interesting couple of years seeing them all come through and hopefully replace the older guard.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SFW "I think there's been a lot of outside noise about this crop of players (Stu has named them all) that won't be beneficial to them. The club have previous in getting these transitions right though, and you can see already the likes of Stephens and Vaughan (the two most physically ready) in and around first team environments. Saints have some work to do to successfully integrate them all and the hype around them won't help but it will be an interesting couple of years seeing them all come through and hopefully replace the older guard.'"

It will be interesting but they will need some of the older players to help them. At this rate some of those experienced heads will be in care homes. Joking apart, these lads need some exposure this season if they are to transition seamlessly there is only so much experience playing on loan can give you. What still amazes me is that we still go on about how we need to protect young players, tell that to the greats like Murphy, Farrell and Gregory who were hardly out of school and yet holding down regular first team places.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2190
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Many think (including a number of TV commentators/) that Tommy Makinson is the best winger that SL has seen, but is that true? No doubt our friends over Billinge Hill will be fighting his corner but, I am not sure that the facts support crowning Tommy as the best. Ryan Hall will equal Danny McGuire's super league try scoring record if he scores one try against London, that will give him 247 in 362 appearances (0.68 tries per game). Ryan is followed closely by former Wigan wingman Josh Charnley who has, at present, recorded 238 touchdowns in 288 games (0.83). Both wingers have spent time away from Super League - Ryan for two seasons (2019/2020) and Josh (2017). Tommy has managed to score 183 tries in 294 appearances (0.62) according to the Rugby League Project. However, both players are older than Tommy and have played in SL longer. I am sure other posters will be able to introduce additional facts and arguments, let the discussion begin.

2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
FGB
11m
Recruitment rumours and links
Smiffy27
17m